Enoch Powell as Prime Minister of Great Britain

Enoch Powell as Prime Minister?

If he hadn't left the Tories he wouldn't necessarily become the next leader after Heath. Labour wins in 1974 or did Enoch give them those few extra seats? If he did then maybe Ted Heath would have won in 1974 and would have remained P.M. If Labour formed a government they would cling on until the end maybe quicker but lets say Powell leads the Tories and gets in maybe there would be some moderate Tories changing sides to Labour or the Liberals.

Powell may agree with unions on statutory incomes policy but little else and wanted to remove immunities so there would if anything be more strikes than under Thatcher. The dockers might have marched for him in 1968 but when their jobs were threatened it would be a different story.

The EU referendum had confirmed our membership, the American would have been alienated by his anti-Americanism. I can't see him as another De Gaulle. Possibly an insular strife riven little off shore island would have had problems with Galtieri. Powell by that time was a little Englander and may well have either dumped the Falklands or accepted the invasion and his government would have fallen assuming strikes and Tory defections hadn't already toppled him.

When Powell was ranting there was actually net emigration from the UK. I don't think people on the recieving end of discrimination would agree that legislation was either immoral or unworkable. I don't go as far as positive discrimination and accept legislation won't change hearts and minds but it can and has tackled the consequences of people putting their prejudices into practice.

Powell was a brilliant mind but a warped mind and took arguments to absurd logical conclusions. His chances of becoming P.M outside a crisis were minimal

:confused: I almost wish the idiot wasn't banned so he could explain this little gem....

That one seemed to go under the radar.

I would have thought that what with his referring to everyone who voted no on an Immigration referendum as life's 'little Joe Stalins' he would have had a different view of the Cold War....

:confused: I almost wish the idiot wasn't banned so he could explain this little gem....

Apart from the slightly favourable spin at the end, isn't it self-explanatory?

Powell was deeply suspicious of America. I can't emphasise this enough. He thought that the US' main focus in it's relations with Britain was to wreck the Empire for it's own gain during the war, and that it had deliberately and consciously forced Britain into subervience in the post-war period. (Suez, for example) By this reading, the US was not 'our friend'.

He viewed nuclear deterence as useless and costly, and viewed the SU as basically incapable and unwilling of mounting a serious to the West. That tied into his anti-EEC and anti-NATO views, of course.

Apart from the slightly favourable spin at the end, isn't it self-explanatory?

Powell was deeply suspicious of America. I can't emphasise this enough. He thought that the US' main focus in it's relations with Britain was to wreck the Empire for it's own gain during the war, and that it had deliberately and consciously forced Britain into subervience in the post-war period. (Suez, for example) By this reading, the US was not 'our friend'.

He viewed nuclear deterence as useless and costly, and viewed the SU as basically incapable and unwilling of mounting a serious to the West. That tied into his anti-EEC and anti-NATO views, of course.

okay, but I wonder why Englander1 regards the US as an enemy.... is he that enamored of Powell that he follows such a strange view of the world?