X2 (Every Colour Scheme Ever Colour Scheme) Colour Scheme

Can colours do damage to the eyes in a medical sense? I just ask...

colouroutofspaceposter.jpg

Is it done yet?

Also, mind telling us the method to your magic? Like what program, font, etc you use?

I had been hoping to do more work on the islands (still not happy with those colours). I guess I want to post a 'complete' version, but realistically, that's not going to happen. I guess the nest wip version can be up by the end of this weekend.

Regarding the magic, it's mostly done in Excel, 11-point Calibri font, and copy-paste to an image editor at the end, then saved as a png.

Last edited:
New update uploaded.

2016-07-30
Savoy added
Pomerania / communist Germans added
Germany section split into northern and southern Germans
Doggerland / Sealand added
Tasmania added
Cayenne added
variant Greenland added
Trinidad colour changed
Solomon Islands colour changed
3rd Australian Aborigine colour changed (used proposed Falklands colour)
replaced India's two "central" region colours with four "ghats" region colours

What color would you recommend for a Romani state?

This is almost an FAQ :confused:

There are three options, depending on which ethnographic theory you want to play up...
  • Their other name, Gypsy, comes from the mistaken belief that they came from Egypt (when in fact they merely passed through the area). You could therefore use the "secondary Egypt" colour.
  • The core area from which they originally migrated corresponds to the east side of the Indus, so the "Rajasthan" colour would be a fit.
  • Most modern-day Romani live in eastern Europe. Whatever their origin, it is certainly not Slavic. From the Carpathian palette, "non-Slavic eastern Europeans" would be a match. About the only reason I haven't made this the official Romani colour is due to potential maps where both Romani and Crimea exist. Going forwards, I may well create a new "Crimea/Tatars" colour though.

Regarding TACOS, that scheme's original colour for the Romani people corresponds to my "east Indus Valley (eg Rajasthan" colour. They later changed it to a colour that corresponds to my "west Indus Valley (eg Balochistan)" colour.

This is almost an FAQ :confused:

There are three options, depending on which ethnographic theory you want to play up...
  • Their other name, Gypsy, comes from the mistaken belief that they came from Egypt (when in fact they merely passed through the area). You could therefore use the "secondary Egypt" colour.
  • The core area from which they originally migrated corresponds to the east side of the Indus, so the "Rajasthan" colour would be a fit.
  • Most modern-day Romani live in eastern Europe. Whatever their origin, it is certainly not Slavic. From the Carpathian palette, "non-Slavic eastern Europeans" would be a match. About the only reason I haven't made this the official Romani colour is due to potential maps where both Romani and Crimea exist. Going forwards, I may well create a new "Crimea/Tatars" colour though.

Regarding TACOS, that scheme's original colour for the Romani people corresponds to my "east Indus Valley (eg Rajasthan" colour. They later changed it to a colour that corresponds to my "west Indus Valley (eg Balochistan)" colour.
Thank you very much. (Also, sorry. I didn't know it was almost an FAQ.

Not uploaded yet, but to give you all an idea of what I am planning in the next version:

Crimea colour added and moved to Caucasus palette
Romani people formally added to "non-Slavic eastern Europeans"
secondary Armenia / Nagorno-Karabakh colour added
moved other Iranians colour to the Caucasus palette
Added and Changed Anatolian colours (Cyprus, and a new Greek successor colour)

Doggerland colour changed
Falkland Islands added​

Splitting off Crimea meant the Romani question has now been settled. I've also re-organised the Caucasus palette so everything is in one place instead of jumping around. Reorganising the caucasus meant that secondary Armenia needed a new colour, as the grey Cilicia colour was always meant for Anatolia. And that had a knock-on effect of encouraging me to reorganise Anatolia. Cyprus now has two colours all to itself (no more borrowing from the mainland), and the Anatolian peninsula now has a total of six colours to choose from.

I just got an idea you could use for the color scheme, though it is your choice whether to follow it or not. What if the, say, the French established a huge colonial empire, and founded something similar to the commonwealth. What would it's color be?

Would it be possible for colour increments to be 25% à la TACOS rather than 50%? Because at 50%, the shades look like new colours altogether rather than, well, shades.

I just got an idea you could use for the color scheme, though it is your choice whether to follow it or not. What if the, say, the French established a huge colonial empire, and founded something similar to the commonwealth. What would it's color be?

That's one of the things that the "ASB" colours are intended to cover.

Would it be possible for colour increments to be 25% à la TACOS rather than 50%? Because at 50%, the shades look like new colours altogether rather than, well, shades.

The shades actually use a square-root function (no, really). I found that as a base colour gets darker, the darker shades need to be darker than just 25% to be visibly distinct, while that colour's lighter shades become visibly distinct with less than a 25% change. And the reverse also being true.

That's one of the things that the "ASB" colours are intended to cover.

I don't find this idea particularly ASB. What would be ASB would be a giant French-colonial union where everyone is happy and no civil war can occur.

Also, when are u going to upload the new version, e.g. with a second/changed Doggerland Colour, the Crimea and Romani problems solved?

If I create such a colour entry, the label this would likely have is "supranational Francophone state (e.g., Union française, Communauté française)".

The bigger problem is how such a nation-state would be distinguishable from metropolitan France proper. The historical post-imperial multinational French organisations were in practice structures designed to maintain and/or extend the political reach of France proper rather than organisations with a genuine multinational power base. Short of excluding the originating imperial power itself (such as the deep red colour for Africa/Asia-based Commonwealth) or including two co-equal originating imperial powers (such as the deep pink colour for an Anglo-French state), I'm not sure that's possible.

Regarding upload date, I'm trying to avoid uploading new versions more frequently than once per month, in order to maintain some semblance to stability. What's better? Frequent uploads and constantly changing versions, or a colour scheme that at least pretends to be stable?