Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

I hope people don't think this is an update... :eek:

Sorry I missed the last few Glen, I've not been too well for the last couple of months, and hadn't been on the site.

I hope you are feeling better.

The sports stuff looks really interesting. I'm glad the Olympics exist, and that Athens managed to host the first one. It'd be nice if the next one was in Russia, to reward the man with the vision to revive the thing.

A fair point - we'll have to see how that works out.

I really like the fact that Ice Hurling, Baseball and Lacrosse all come to be. They're obviously all OTL games, or incredibly similar, but they're all different enough to be interesting. I especially like the idea of a scoring post for Lax.

They are related games, of course, but they are quite different as well.

As for the "football" entry: you've managed to take handball, association football, rugby and Gaelic football, and produce two new, very interesting games. I suspect I'll have to side with my Uncle's relations over my own immediate ancestors, as I think my limited sporting abilities are more suited to BAH than they are to FAB. Sorry if I missed this, but are both games 15-a-side?

Yes, both handball and football have 15 players.

The scientific measures is very ambitious. Metric/scientific time? I suspect many of the other measures will spread slowly, leaving much of the world with the sort of hodgepodge that OTL's UK has between Imperial and Metric units. If sixteen hour days do take root, I suspect they'll be a long time coming - however that period is measured.

Yes, they will be.

PS, I've voted! :)

Thank you for your patronage.

Last edited:
Thought I'd bump this great TL of yours Glen. Anything new? :D:cool:

Anyway, I do have a few questions for you: what is the general state of the world at the present day(well, the present day currently in canon)? Who built the first automobile? And what is the population of the U.S. & the D.S.A. in particular? :)

Anyway, I do have a few questions for you: what is the general state of the world at the present day(well, the present day currently in canon)? Who built the first automobile? And what is the population of the U.S. & the D.S.A. in particular? :)

Dissapointed. I thought that now we have new update.

Dangit, I thought we had an update too :(. Oh well, maybe soon?

One thing I wanna bring up while I'm thinking about it: I had asked what the Southrons would be called in Spanish before, with jycee's recommendation of "surdominense" being my personal favorite. Glen then asked if anybody knows of a Spanish slang term for the Brits; after reading through "For All Nails", perhaps the term "surlimón" (South-Limey) could work, as well as a USA-"yanqui" and DSA-"gringo" split?

Glen

The history of the boot known as Southrons outside the Dominion, Wellesleys historically, or most commonly in the DSA, Riders, is one that can theoretically be traced back to the boots of Genghis Khan but more directly to the Hessian boot.

204px-Hessian_boots_%28PSF%29.png

The Hessian boot was the inspiration for General Arthur Wellesley's own boot design during his service against Napoleon, simplifying and improving on the Hessian design.

DukeWellingtonJamesLonsdale.jpg

The Wellesley boot became the favorite of the British Army and was in wide use by officers of the British army and Southern Loyalists during the Slaver Rebellion. After the war, many Loyalists continued to wear the versatile ririding boot as yet another symbol of their loyalty to the mother country, and slowly even former Rebels grudgingly came to recognize the value of the boot style, though many chose to adopt a more Cubano heel. By the 20th Century, the boots had become synonymous with the people of the Dominion of Southern America.

cowboy-boots.png

Last edited:

Glen

The short answer is, yes both myself and the Dominion is back! More when I'm back in the States!

Good to both see this back and also you continue to deal in subjects in the DSA world that not many even think of tackling! Hope you're doing alright as well, Glen. :)

Glen

Anyway, I do have a few questions for you: what is the general state of the world at the present day(well, the present day currently in canon)? Who built the first automobile?

No one person - and it depends how you define automobile! :D

And what is the population of the U.S. & the D.S.A. in particular? :)

By 1930s the general world population is greater than OTL due to earlier medical and sanitation (and maybe a little bit the lesser carnage of wars compared to OTL).

The Dominion is particularly more populated and affluent compared to the same regions in OTL circa 1930 - especially on the continent. This is in part due to the lack of a real reconstruction equivalent compared to OTL and in part due to the influx of subcontinental Indians as indentureds in the 19th cwntury - also the fact that the North is a different nation has had a retardant effect relative to OTL in the northward migration of people in the south to the north, though there's still some.

Time line was on hiatus while I dealt with serious stuff in my family life - but the Dominion will rise agaun!

I hope everything went okay, especially since making a timeline (while entertaining) is not worth the impact on your personal time, let alone family things. That being said, I'm glad to see this TL's back!

I do have a question (open to everybody, not just Glen): did it ever get established which cities in the USA and DSA both would be the biggest, say the top five or so?

Last edited:
I do have a question (open to everybody, not just Glen): did it ever get established which cities in the USA and CSA both would be the biggest, say the top five or so?

I would say New York, Philadelphia, and Chicago are in the top five of the USA like OTL. But Montreal is darn likely to be up there, especially if it takes in an even higher influx of Anglos from New England, New York, and Michigan heading north as well as what it received in the real world.

The fifth may well be some rustbelt city. If I remember correctly, Cleveland held this spot in this point in time. So my personal guesses to the USA's:

1. New York
2. Chicago
3. Philadelphia
4. Montreal
5. Cleveland

Of course, who knows? TTL's Washington, D.C. may well be quite the metropolis: its very prime location, capital city status undoubtedly pulling in a LARGE influx of wealth, being upriver from New York City and downriver from Montreal, and location on the Hudson River-Erie Canal (and by extension St. Lawrence River) route to the west will ensure it has a much more vibrant economy via both the government AND travel/port/crossroads economy keeping it bustling compared to the burg on the Potomac.

So if not Cleveland, I actually root for Washington/*Kingston, NY. :)

Glen

320px-Chrysler_Building_Midtown_Manhattan_New_York_City_1932.jpg

The boom in the size of urban areas in the first third of the 20th century was a source of pride and a sign of progress for some, though a spectre of overcrowding to the Malthusians. In the United States of America, the top five most populous metropolises were:
1. New York City, NY/Washington DC - By 1930 the borders between the nation's busiest port and the nation's capital just up the Hudson were beginning to blur making this region not just the most populous in the USA but one of the largest in the world (though still no match for Imperial London).
2. Chicago, IL - Strategically located in the heart of the nation and the intersection between the great waterways of the Great Lakes/St Lawrence & the mighty Mississippi (as.well as the border between Illinois and Michigan), Chicago was a thriving metropolis in its own right by 1930.
3. Philadelphia, PA - a historical rival of NYC for greatest.US metropolis, the city of brotherly love was.only unseated from number 2 to 3 by 1930.
4. Montreal, QU - The great commercial capital of Francophone America, also benefitting from an initial strong position on the great waterways of the Northeast, Montreal was able to hold the number 4 position in population in 1930.
5. Fort Finney, WA - While some might have thought Fort Finney a dark horse for a top ten US city, it was able to build on its steamship heritage to become one of the major industrial centers of the nation in 1930.

Last edited: