Malê Rising

Now that I think of it, Cape Verde's in Africa too, so there will be five European countries with DOMs. Thus far you've guessed four of them.

Ethiopia is indeed the African state I had in mind, and India is one of three possibilities for the non-European one.

Now that I think of it, Cape Verde's in Africa too, so there will be five European countries with DOMs. Thus far you've guessed four of them.

Ethiopia is indeed the African state I had in mind, and India is one of three possibilities for the non-European one.

The other two - do the Ottomans count as European? Perhaps the Brazilians might take over in a Portuguese colony. And the Americans have some stake in central Africa.

Cheers,
Ganesha

Italy in that case, if they held up to their part of Erytrea or if they do something ugly in Tunisia. The Ottoman empire too but I personnaly hope that at least libya is going to be independant : there was the first Arab republic there in OTL.

I take it this means no Egyptian control of the Sinai, then? :p

(Yes, I'm deliberately being obtuse here, so feel free to ignore me)

While everyone else thinks of an Indian Zanzibar, I could imagine the Indians taking a small slice of Natal. After all Durban and PMB both had (and to a lesser extent still have) rather large Indian populations.

So just to re-cap, based on the past few posts:
Portugal, France, Germany, Spain and either the UK or Italy will still have territories in Africa in TTL's 2014. Ethiopia has territories in southern Arabia. India, the USA, Brazil and the Ottomans are the most realistic candidates to be non-European states to have territories in Africa. Fascinating!

While everyone else thinks of an Indian Zanzibar, I could imagine the Indians taking a small slice of Natal. After all Durban and PMB both had (and to a lesser extent still have) rather large Indian populations.

Well India certainly doesn't need to be limited to only one DOM. ;)

There's also the possibility that India annexes Mauritius at some point, if that is considered geographically African ITTL.

Kosta

Banned
Thanks to you and to everyone who voted for me. And a bonus teaser in honor of the victory: in 2014 TTL, four European countries, and possibly a non-European one, will have overseas provinces in Africa, and at least one African country will have overseas territories outside that continent.

If I had to guess, I'd say that at least some of them are:
*Castile
*Portugal
*The UK
*Does exilic Russia count?
*The Ottoman Empire

And Ethiopia gains a sliver of land across the Red Sea in Yemen.

So just to re-cap, based on the past few posts: Portugal, France, Germany, Spain and either the UK or Italy will still have territories in Africa in TTL's 2014. Ethiopia has territories in southern Arabia. India, the USA, Brazil and the Ottomans are the most realistic candidates to be non-European states to have territories in Africa. Fascinating!

I should add that four of the five European countries speak Romance languages.

Zanzibar would probably be too big a bite for India - I was in fact thinking of Mauritius - but nothing can be ruled out at this point. Those who guessed Brazil and the United States for the other two possibilities are correct: the Afro-Brazilian component of the Coasters gives Brazil an in, and both Liberia and Sierra Leone have developed close connections to South Carolina. Not all these connections will result in a political union (and remember that in a post-Westphalian world, "political union" can mean many things), but we'll see how things play out during the remainder of the twentieth century.

I should add that four of the five European countries speak Romance languages.

Zanzibar would probably be too big a bite for India - I was in fact thinking of Mauritius - but nothing can be ruled out at this point. Those who guessed Brazil and the United States for the other two possibilities are correct: the Afro-Brazilian component of the Coasters gives Brazil an in, and both Liberia and Sierra Leone have developed close connections to South Carolina. Not all these connections will result in a political union (and remember that in a post-Westphalian world, "political union" can mean many things), but we'll see how things play out during the remainder of the twentieth century.

I wonder how the granduchy of Pindus managed to integrate an African territory. :D

Given the way Spain is going, it is possible it could exist again shortly...

teg

IOTL? Even if Spain lost Catalonia it'd still have 60% of the former Crown of Aragon as well as alot of other places that were'nt part of Castille.

ITTL, well, when was the last time we even heard about Spain?

IOTL? Even if Spain lost Catalonia it'd still have 60% of the former Crown of Aragon as well as alot of other places that were'nt part of Castille.

ITTL, well, when was the last time we even heard about Spain?

Not that long ago. Right now, IIRC, it's under a military junta that succeded the liberal regime established in 1866. It won't probably last long, probably another liberal officer will gain the favour of the Artillery Corps and end with the rule of the Infantry Corps if they feel slighted returning to a liberal democracy perhaps with some corporatist elements (like Ossorio's ideas for a Senate in the Second Republic).