Map Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 67076

Why do all the beautiful map makers support mega-Germanies. Can't we have more beautiful mega-Italies, or Russias, or etc.?

Not that I want less of these crazy beautiful maps.
I second this.

Anyhoo, decided to do a version of "Bring the Jubilee" that's more true to the book - I'm trying to avoid contradicting the story straight out. I have the map, but the writeup will be a bit longer - need to recharge my snark batteries to do proper justice to it.

Two complains:
1. Why is Italy still divided? The italian unification happend before Gettysburg.
2. Are you sure the German Union has a Kaiser? If I remember it right the timetraveler seems rather surprised that the Germans get a Kaiser in 1871 and wonders if this will prevent the Emporer-war . And why call a State with a Kaiser Union and not Reich? The closest thing to a German Union was this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erfurt_Union, which explicid wanted to avoid the title Kaiser.

Last edited:

tuareg109

Banned
It's likely a Nazi victory world. (See Adolfsburg)

So? That doesn't make it disgusting, just more interesting and realistic than 99% of the Nazi victory maps posted here.

And if you'd read Blomma's description, you would know for certain that it's a Nazi victory world.

Also, Blomma: Is the Banat actually part of the German Empire? If so, that's hilarious!

It's a shame that you waste your talent on mapping something so absolutely disgusting. But it's the most technically sophisticated and (on a certain level) aesthetically appealing map I've seen in a long time.
I think it's one of the 'nicer' maps for a German victory. There are still Slavic survivors hear and the Scandinavians have not lost their identities and been used as breeding cattle.

It's a shame that you waste your talent on mapping something so absolutely disgusting. But it's the most technically sophisticated and (on a certain level) aesthetically appealing map I've seen in a long time.
I don't think he's wasting his talent just because the scenario is an undesirable one.

I've actually thought about this when trying to develop worlds in a science fiction setting. Would a very slowly rotating Earth-sized world (say, one Earth year/day) have lower gravity/apparently lower gravity (from the subject's frame of reference) due to the much lesser Centripetal Force? .

Er, no. Centripetal force sends you outwards, not in towards the core. There's a region the earth bulges at the equator. In any event it's pretty tiny at our current rate of rotation, so it would make very little difference to perceived gravity if it didn't rotate at all.

Bruce

Er, no. Centripetal force sends you outwards, not in towards the core.

You're thinking of centrifugal force, which doesn't quite work that way either. In fact, it's pulling you straight forward, but because you're attached to something that rotates it translates to movement outwards.

Two complains:
1. Why is Italy still divided? The italian unification happend before Gettysburg.
2. Are you sure the German Union has a Kaiser? If I remember it right the timetraveler seems rather surprised that the Germans get a Kaiser in 1871 and wonders if this will prevent the Emporer-war . And why call a State with a Kaiser Union and not Reich? The closest thing to a German Union was this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erfurt_Union, which explicid wanted to avoid the title Kaiser.

Answered on the other thread. Folks, I'm redoing Italy.

Blomma: very nicely done, whatever the scenario.

Beedok: my maps aren't really beautiful, but I'll give you a mega-Italy if you give me a scenario. :)

Tuareg109: any Nazi victory world is an abomination before the eyes of THE LORD deserving of the finest smiting, and carries the whiff of of millions of corpses. But I agree one can still make fine art from it.

(If Blomma1 starts making individual street plans for new Nazi cities, he will start to creep me out). :D

Bruce

You're thinking of centrifugal force, which doesn't quite work that way either. In fact, it's pulling you straight forward, but because you're attached to something that rotates it translates to movement outwards.

Right, right, he managed to get me confused. :) But centrifugal force doesn't "pull" you either: from the point of view of an outside observer, it's inertia. Of course, from _within_ the rotating frame, it acts as a force: around 3% of gravity at the equator, I think.

Bruce

tuareg109

Banned
Right, right, he managed to get me confused. :) But centrifugal force doesn't "pull" you either: from the point of view of an outside observer, it's inertia. Of course, from _within_ the rotating frame, it acts as a force: around 3% of gravity at the equator, I think.

Bruce

I confused you physics-wise? How so?

Also, again, Centripetal Force is always a force; I didn't ask about Centrifugal.

Also, any modern war on the scale of WWII carries the stench of millions of corpses with it no matter what. But I see your point.

(If Blomma starts making individual street plans for new Nazi cities, he will start to creep me out). :D

My theory is that Blomma is some sort of crosstime refugee from this Nazi victory world, so I guess it would depend on whether he brought any street maps with him. :p

Bruce
While we're sorta kinda on the subject of ERB, I'm curious which of his works you plan on incorporating?

There are a number of 'em that reference each other in some way (Tarzan visit's Pellucidar, which trip is mentioned in the first Amtor book; while technology from the Pellucidar series is used to contact Barsoom, which is mentioned in The Moon Maid), and there are "cosmological" similarities between others (Va-Nah is the Moon's interior just as Pellucidar is Earth's; astral projection serves to get John Carter and Ulysses Paxton to Barsoom, "Loto-El-Ho-Ganja" to Amtor, and "Tangor" to Poloda). OTOH, the Barsoom books have WWI ending as IOTL, while The Moon Maid has it lasting 'til 1967, and I believe Beyond Thirty had it last even longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.