Columbia rescue - save the space shuttle !

I don't know if fluffy is the correct word (since english is not my native language).

I've found a technical study not included on the CAIB final report (but done during the inquiry by experts, so it's not fantasy). The reason why they didn't included it is they felt it was a dead-end, something with too much risk and too little result.

When I red the contain of that study, my jaw literally hit the ground, and I told myself "I NEED this in my TL".

All I can say is: never before did I imagined one could trim so much weight out of an orbiter. It just boggles the mind. :eek:

The fact is that the Soviets had automated rendezvous and docking from 1969 and Soyuz; on the American side however, the shuttle was manual. Automated docking had to wait for Orbital Express, DART, and XSS-11 - after 2000 !
OK. I havent seen that report. Is it on line? Can the work be done by astronauts stranded in space without manoeuvring units? (As has already been asked.)

I would have guessed that any reduction of weight would have been trivially little. Losing e.g 10% of the weight surely wouldnt make much difference on reentry, and i would have thought that was more than they could do. If they can jettison 1/2 or even 1/3 the mass, then 'fluffy' still isnt the right word, technically - but i could see why you would use it.

I apologize for any perceived slight on you English skills. I, for one, am astounded by the ability and contributions of many of the nonAnglophones on this board. Et bien sûr, tu parles l'anglais beaucoup mieux que je parle le français; je ne suis que sesquilingue:)

AndyC

Donor
Blue Team submission:

Ms Ham, you instructed us to consider even the wildest concepts and we have a suggestion which fits that category.

We have investigated how quickly a revived "MOOSE" system could be constructed. Using modern manufacturing and CAD procedures, six sets of MOOSE man-personal de-orbiters could be constructed by February 11th. These would total 1200 pounds in weight and could be launched on any of a number of light launchers into Columbia's orbit.

The AOCS team (Attitude and Orbital Correction subsystems) from the Station crew can provide a small guidance and manuevering bus to attach to the packup.

The cost of the project would be relatively small (less than $5 million, not including the launcher) and could provide a "last ditch" backup plan.

The payload would be guided from the ground to the Columbia after orbital insertion. Astronauts on EVA within the cargo bay would recover the payload and bring the systems inside. When the final alternatives had expired and the Columbia becomes unlivable (assuming that Black Team and White Team options are unsuccessful), the MOOSE contingency would be invoked. All crew members would don EVA suits and egress to the cargo bay. They would insert themselves into the MOOSE modules and egress the cargo bay on the order "Abandon ship". The MOOSE modules
will consist of a chest-mounted parachute, a flexible, folded 1.8 m diameter elastomeric heat shield, and a canister of polyurethane foam.
The astronauts would each pull their deployment cord, which will fill the shield into shape and encase the back of the astronaut in perfectly form-fitting polyurethane. The astronaut will then use a small hand-held gas get device to orient for retro-fire, and then fire the solid rocket motor mounted in the device.

After aligning for re-entry and putting the MOOSE into a slow roll, the gas gun will be discarded. After a ballistic re-entry, the astronaut will pull the ripcord of the chest-parachute, which would pull the astronaut away from the heat shield for a parachute landing.

Obviously no testing or assurance can be done on this product and we emphasise the last-ditch nature of this option but it is obviously better than the "do nothing" option and gives the astronauts a chance even if all other alternatives fail.

Yours,
Dr Wile E Coyote,

Blue Team Leader

For the original MOOSE (Man Out Of Space Easiest) ideas, please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOOSE
http://www.astronautix.com/craft/moose.htm

Archibald

Banned
[FONT=Times, Times, serif]Flight Day 7 [/FONT]
[FONT=Times, Times, serif]January 22, 2003 [/FONT]
[FONT=Times, Times, serif]Abord Columbia [/FONT]
[FONT=Times, Times, serif](music: REM, Everybody hurts)
[/FONT]

The orbiter interior was cold and dark, but the disciplined crew maintained hope. Meanwhile in Houston NASA was mobilizing, Apollo 13 style. Once again failure wasn't to be an option. Veterans engineers, managers and astronauts rushed to help - and they were welcome.

[FONT=Times, Times, serif]Flight Day 8[/FONT]
[FONT=Times, Times, serif]January 23, 2003 [/FONT]
[FONT=Times, Times, serif]Johnson Spaceflight Center, Houston [/FONT]
[FONT=Times, Times, serif](music: Scorpions, Wind of change)
[/FONT]

That day Blue Team received yet another unexpected proposal for aid. It come from the other side of the Atlantic, from Europe.
Old Europe, according to the words of a certain secretary of defence.
Blue Team had absolutely zero interest in politics, but when their chairman heard the proposal he realized how at time emergencies resulted in bizarre twists made to history.
The proposal come from the French Space Agency, the CNES - and from the German ministry of research, the DLR. It was only vaguely related to ESA; it was the usual mess of national versus supranational conflict of interests that plagued old Europe.
Blue Team was in the process of a broad review of every rocket to be launched within the next three weeks and even beyond. And indeed on February 15 an Ariane 4 was to launch from French Guyana with an Intelsat satellite aboard. It was the very last of its kind; the first generation of Ariane born on December 24 1979 would become extinct afterwards. The issue with Ariane however was the same as with every other expendable rocket in the world: although it could easily launch to Columbia orbit, the payload would lack a navigation, control and guidance system to reach the Shuttle. Only a Soyuz or Progress had that capacity but of course Baikonur was out of reach. The Blue Team chairman sighed and prepared to class the European report on the large pile of "dead end" when something caught his eye.
That report definitively had something more to offer.
"Eureka !" he aptly shouted. The report under his arm he rushed in the direction of his superior office.

[FONT=Times, Times, serif]Flight Day 9 [/FONT]
[FONT=Times, Times, serif]January 24, 2003 [/FONT]
[FONT=Times, Times, serif]Aboard Columbia
[/FONT]

Columbia crew had gathered once again. Rick Husband passed his fellows copies of the ground instructions. Although the astronauts were professionals, this time there were muffled exclamations and expectatives.
"And I felt playing the trapeze artist on the orbiter payload bay door was crazy. Perhaps I should reconsider that opinion." Anderson said dryly.
"We are going to be buzzy" Husband said "and it is as well like that."
"Sure, we have enough work in those checklists for a month or so." Kalpana Chawla added
"Dare I say - they are taking no risk." McCool declared.
"Take into consideration this is only a draft. They are still refining a lot of things - this is only a logical follow on to the power-down." Husband said.
"Most of that work is Extra Vehicular Activity, and we are only two with two spacesuits. The airlock, by the way, can only handle two persons." Anderson and Brown felt a heavy weight fall on their shoulders.

Well if I remember the Ariane 44L Payload Capability right, it was able to handle a Soyuz-sized craft into the necessary orbit. So that would be an option, if to get crew down and/or send supplies up.

Methinks it would work better than Dr Coyote's proposal two posts up. :p

AndyC

Donor
How long would it take to transport a Soyuz or Progress from Baikonur to the Cape?

(Although I do love the MOOSE proposal for terms of sheer spectacular-ism)

Archibald

Banned
Alaaas... lack of time, folks... the clock is ticking, February 15 in the morning and the poor crew will asphyxiate... tick, tick...

As for MOOSE - someone should bring the concept to Felix Baumgartner and/or Richard Branson. They are crazy enough to try it.
Oh, shit, just realized Baumgartner could try and jump from Space Ship Two with a MOOSE. Now this is an idea. Crap, he could even race with SS2 on the way down !

AndyC: this cartoon was made in honour of the recent meteorit strike in Russia. Couldn't resist.
Asteroid-Of-Death.jpg

Last edited:

AndyC

Donor
AndyC: this cartoon was made in honour of the recent meteorit strike in Russia. Couldn't resist.
Asteroid-Of-Death.jpg

Lol!

Anyway, looking at this as a critical project with the resource capacity to mount multiple independent contingent operations, I'd do:

Strand 1: Emergency accelerated Atlantis prep
Strand 2: Work on Columbia contingencies (lighten things, etc)
(Both of these are actually being done ITTL as already said)
Strand 3: Prepare O2, CO2, water, food packages anyway.
Strand 3a: Attempt to acquire Soyuz and/or Progress modules from Russia. Even after Atlantis launch, there remains an appreciable risk that she'd be in the same fix anyway.
Strand 3b. Assemble lightweight launchers for packages in any case.
Strand 3c. Acquire or build simple guidance systems for packages from available components or subsystems.
Strand 4. Build MOOSE anyway. If strands 1-3 fail, any astronaut worth his salt would prefer even an outside shot like this to just giving up.

Hello Andy,

All crew members would don EVA suits and egress to the cargo bay. They would insert themselves into the MOOSE modules and egress the cargo bay on the order "Abandon ship".

About those EVA suits: Columbia has only two of them, but 7 astronauts. Is the plan to send up five more in the MOOSE launch?

AndyC

Donor
Hello Andy,

All crew members would don EVA suits and egress to the cargo bay. They would insert themselves into the MOOSE modules and egress the cargo bay on the order "Abandon ship".

About those EVA suits: Columbia has only two of them, but 7 astronauts. Is the plan to send up five more in the MOOSE launch?

Yup. Would still be a fairly light payload - under a ton.
And, of course, the MOOSE deployment would never be tried unless and until every other option was exhausted and it was down to "jump and try, or stay and die".
(It would certainly butterfly Baumgartner's jump out of existence, though! Actually, wasn't Kittinger's jump way back in the sixties related to the MOOSE project? Something like proving that you could make it from near-vacuum to a parachute landing in a space suit? (Of course the bit about first surviving the fiery re-entry didn't get tested, though ...)

Well if I remember the Ariane 44L Payload Capability right, it was able to handle a Soyuz-sized craft into the necessary orbit. So that would be an option, if to get crew down and/or send supplies up.

Methinks it would work better than Dr Coyote's proposal two posts up. :p
Trying to physically, electronically and infomaticly fit a Soyuz to an Ariane in that short time period would be ... interesting.

From what I can tell, it should be transportable inside a few cargo aircraft. AN124 and C5A easily. Don't know about Belugas or SuperGuppies.

Trying to physically, electronically and infomaticly fit a Soyuz to an Ariane in that short time period would be ... interesting.

From what I can tell, it should be transportable inside a few cargo aircraft. AN124 and C5A easily. Don't know about Belugas or SuperGuppies.

NASA suddenly has a very powerful interest in finding out just exactly what is possible....

Keen to see Arch's next update.

AndyC: this cartoon was made in honour of the recent meteorit strike in Russia. Couldn't resist. ...

As my younger brother used to say when he was two:

"Poor dog!"

I haven't done the slightest research yet to determine how much payload Atlantis loaded with 4 astronauts and a maximum of rescue supplies could lift, nor how many days for 11 astronauts that would buy stranded in orbit (in the worst case contingency that Atlantis winds up just as disabled as Columbia). And covering for that worst case would involve bringing up supplies to try and fix the wings. But with launch deadline Valentine's Day 2003, I don't think much research could be done to optimize those supplies.

One shouldn't underestimate NASA Tiger Teams in Apollo 13 mode though.

Of course for Columbia, an even worse case than Atlantis arriving with a ding in its own wing would be Atlantis not coming on time at all; I presume this is what the MOOSE and other supply options being considered are for, a fallback in case Atlantis can't launch (or blows up trying to...:eek:)

I personally don't see the serious problem in "last mile" delivery of payloads by Ariane or other rockets from Vandenberg (well I suppose Vberg is out because the only clear launch range is south thus they can't launch east without risking a crash over inhabited land to the east) or Japan's pad or Canaveral itself--does that exhaust the list by the way?

Columbia can maneuver to intercept payloads that are not launched precisely to her orbit. It's not so much last mile as last 100 feet that is the problem, obviously it would be a daredevil stunt to try to catch the payload in her bay! Someone has to EVA out to snare the cargo and then very carefully haul it in, and in the last 2 meters risk getting squished, and there are only 2 EVA suits, so that's the limit of the size of the team to do it. And if they get squished, no supplies for the rest so they all die anyway. OK, I see a problem.

It's just that if the alternative is they all asphyxiate anyway, I think they'd be willing to chance it.

So not option A, but I'd think NASA should jump at the chance to pre-empt those other rockets and load them up with rescue packages and prep them to launch if Atlantis encounters any hitches. And hold one ready in case anything prevents Atlantis from making it up all the way after it attempts a launch.

Too bad no one has ever tested MOOSE, it sounds wacky but it was a serious proposal, meant for precisely contingencies like this.

Though sidebar, it couldn't have saved either the Challenger crew nor the OTL Columbia blithely deorbiting into certain disaster, because even if everyone is fully suited up during launch and landing, it takes time to deploy the MOOSE system, nor is it meant for ejecting into a reentry plasma stream; one starts out in vacuum.

The best system I can imagine to protect astronauts in case of a very wide range of disasters is for them to be crammed into a minimum-volume escape capsule during all launches and landings, fully suited up of course (so a bigger volume than for people in shirtsleeves). I look at the noses of spacecraft like the Orbiter and the HL-20 and wonder, why not a capsule there, one with a hatch in its heatshield? And a Mercury/Apollo type LAS rocket tower on it, to be ejected once launch passes a critical point.

If this had been the Orbiter design I think both crews lost OTL would have survived.

I'm told the mass penalty is too great but I have yet to see a study of precisely the kind of system I am talking about.

Also perhaps the nose of an Orbiter or other spaceplane is not the very best place to ride out nominal reentries, as it gets the brunt of reentry heating. But if it could be doable, I think of the failure to design that way as the biggest bit of hubris in the OTL STS program.

Archibald

Banned
the Soyuz is a pretty diminutive spaceship; it would fit into any cargo aircraft. The issue is rather to integrate that thing into the launcher in less than a month - no way.

AndyC

Donor
the Soyuz is a pretty diminutive spaceship; it would fit into any cargo aircraft. The issue is rather to integrate that thing into the launcher in less than a month - no way.

True. So you integrate it as quickly as possible. Because there are contingency scenarios where you've bought some time but not recovered the crew yet - such as package delivery by an alternate means, or Atlantis launched and rendezvoused but suffered from an identical problem. Leaving the integration attempts until then would be too late, whilst starting them now gives you a chance in that scenario.

Talking about it being a screenplay for a movie, we can see that - given the "Chekov's Gun" rule, they'd actually incorporate everything. So, the movie would go:

- All the options are being used. However, the Atlantis launch suffers from a launchpad abort just as the main engine lights and gets delayed to beyond 15th February.

- The Blue Team manage to cobble together a limited guidance package to get some CO2 scrubbers and some extra oxygen into orbit. Near disaster during the rendezvous, but the astronauts manage to get it into the payload bay - just. This buys more time.

- They can't get a Soyuz, but a Progress is delivered. Integration will take a bit too long, though. They desperately try to speed things up.

- Belatedly, Atlantis takes off, but the earlier package has bought just enough time. However, after it's safely in orbit, a review of the launchpad tapes show a similar strike and Atlantis is also stranded.

- The MOOSE experiments have some setbacks and some successes. They discuss it as a last ditch contingency.

- The "fluffy shuttle" programme is being followed. They decide that with two shuttles in orbit, they can test the operation on one. All crew cram into Atlantis and they manage to adjust Columbia to be completely remote controlled (only one item - deployment of landing gear - is needed for this, I think?) or have one brave astronaut fly the re-entry. It goes well - until the last moment, when it disintegrates.

- The integrated Progress is available now and launches some more supplies, plus MOOSEs for everyone (the Atlantis took up enough extra space suits for all the Columbia crew)

- Things are going wrong on Atlantis - electrical systems are failing so that not even extra supplies are going to keep it going much longer.

- They eventually have to bale out in MOOSEs. The MOOSEs work.

- End credits.

Why MOOSE isn't mentioned (OTL) in the CAIB report or wasn't reconsidered at least to put some further research into it? It dos not seem to be heavy (215 kg, including the astronaut; according to astronautix) and would (if it was feasible) work as a last resort.

(Never heard of MOOSE before, but I'm going to use it in my timeline (on hold i.e. research mode). Even more promising I found the EGRESS system, which would be dreived from a B-58 ejection capsule and would be feasible during most phases of ascent AND in case of damaged TPS. Great paper: http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19690017921_1969017921.pdf ).

Last edited:
Talking about it being a screenplay for a movie, we can see that - given the "Chekov's Gun" rule, they'd actually incorporate everything. So, the movie would go...

You left out the part where Columbia crew is meanwhile, while low on breathable air, spacewalking out to try to fix the hole using potshards and Krazy Glue, and the other act where Atlantis has brought some more advanced Teflon gum and carbon-fiber baling wire, so both Orbiters have these patch jobs in place when the "Fluffy Shuttle" experiment is tried--and fails, despite these efforts.

AndyC

Donor
You left out the part where Columbia crew is meanwhile, while low on breathable air, spacewalking out to try to fix the hole using potshards and Krazy Glue, and the other act where Atlantis has brought some more advanced Teflon gum and carbon-fiber baling wire, so both Orbiters have these patch jobs in place when the "Fluffy Shuttle" experiment is tried--and fails, despite these efforts.

Oh yeah - sorry :)

(Actually, if it weren't for the tragic circumstances of what actually happened in OTL, this would be shaping up into a pretty good movie)

Why MOOSE isn't mentioned (OTL) in the CAIB report or wasn't reconsidered at least to put some further research into it? It dos not seem to be heavy (215 kg, including the astronaut; according to astronautix) and would (if it was feasible) work as a last resort.

Probably because it was sufficient to point out the first resort options, not the last resort desperate options - it was, after all, an academic exercise.

For Arch's timeline here, however, it's not. Everything is on the table.

Looks like the Soyuz factory is far from the spaceport, meaning that the system is rail or ship transportable, so what about sending the whole Soyuz rocket to a suitable launch pad?