Map Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's pretty ASB, even with 40% dead there's still 4.2 billion people left. Most countries would not completely collapse (unless it is extremely virulent in some and near nothing in others.)
The black death killed around 33% of Europe off. Countries didn't cease to exist.
Yeah, there has to be a reason beyond just "loads of people died" for a country to disappear. Either much greater casualty rates, or it coming under the authority of another one. The latter would require some justification, since it's not like land is an issue, which would mean strategic positions and resources.

A splintering of countries would make sense, if there is already support for it. Kind of hard to maintain central authority if everyone is dying, so you could see places like Catalonia, Brittany and Corsica going independent. Conversely, the destruction might see these regions not want to go independent, if the central authority is actually helping them survive.

Yeah, there has to be a reason beyond just "loads of people died" for a country to disappear. Either much greater casualty rates, or it coming under the authority of another one. The latter would require some justification, since it's not like land is an issue, which would mean strategic positions and resources.

A splintering of countries would make sense, if there is already support for it. Kind of hard to maintain central authority if everyone is dying, so you could see places like Catalonia, Brittany and Corsica going independent. Conversely, the destruction might see these regions not want to go independent, if the central authority is actually helping them survive.

Exactly, and Corsica, as an Island, may have the Government flee to it as it's easier to keep the plague out.

Oh and why has the UK become the United Republic? Surely with all the death and chaos a government that needs election won't be as effective?
I can understand getting Eire, low population already, if a number die if can be for the good of the survivors and it has lots of farmland which will be desperately needed.

Delvestius

Banned
Either more would die from the loss of lands available for growth of food because there's still infection, or there would be near immediate dispatch to secure the farmlands required to feed the survivors and the resources, such as the oil, to power the world.

The plague strikes once then it is done, there are no lingering effects of infection.

Also why do countries suddenly grab chunks or other nations that have survivors or become completely new nations? (Europe).

I don't know man, why not. I mean fuck, it's a speculative piece, I mean I don't know what the geopolitics of a post-infection would be like, but I don't see why in a speculative medium such as this the necessities for these situations to occur couldn't be plausible.

Oh and why has the UK become the United Republic? Surely with all the death and chaos a government that needs election won't be as effective?
I can understand getting Eire, low population already, if a number die if can be for the good of the survivors and it has lots of farmland which will be desperately needed.

Because the Royal Family got wiped out.

And it's not so much of a republic as a "republic."

Anyways, 75%. That sounds good to me.

Firstly, my apologies for this being an unfinished map. I'm new to this stuff, it's slow going making a map and legend and trying to make it not look awful. Most of the rest of this map will end up being OTL for the year mentioned. How would I best splice that in?

Don't worry about it, but I would suggest a newer basemap (check my Sig or the basemap thread in Books & Media).

So it seems this disease doesn't affect African peoples either?

That's my point.

And I agree. In a place like the US, I would think the desire for a continued US would outweigh survivors who subscribed to a separatist mindset (Cascadians, New Englanders, Texans, etm. who want to be their own country are far outweighed by people who like the US intact).

The plague strikes once then it is done, there are no lingering effects of infection.

I don't know man, why not. I mean fuck, it's a speculative piece, I mean I don't know what the geopolitics of a post-infection would be like, but I don't see why in a speculative medium such as this the necessities for these situations to occur couldn't be plausible.

Because the Royal Family got wiped out.

And it's not so much of a republic as a "republic."

Anyways, 75%. That sounds good to me.

Okay, so it needs living hosts to survive.

You need to have at least some idea how things come to pass, have you not seen how much debate can be caused on the Map threads by not doing your research and making it plausible? If you had said it's ASB, or put it in the ASB map thread then okay.

The Entire Royal Family? Hundreds of members, including other 'foreign' members? The King of Norway is something like 75th in line to the throne.

Latest map for a Looser Union. The United Provinces of Dorada have expanded to their maximum size, and possibly have bitten off more than they can chew. Comancheria's economy is in a state of collapse, and race war is threatening to break out. The French Empire is turning inwards, and evolving into a corrupt military dictatorship with collectivist economic ideals. The British Salutariat and the United States are rising in importance as radical states not very linked into the global economic system which had disastrously crashed in Paris.

looserunionworldmap.png

Meerkat92

Banned
Latest map for a Looser Union. The United Provinces of Dorada have expanded to their maximum size, and possibly have bitten off more than they can chew. Comancheria's economy is in a state of collapse, and race war is threatening to break out. The French Empire is turning inwards, and evolving into a corrupt military dictatorship with collectivist economic ideals. The British Salutariat and the United States are rising in importance as radical states not very linked into the global economic system which had disastrously crashed in Paris.

For those of us who didn't see your earlier maps, what's that blobby thing with the PRC color along the Baltic?

For those of us who didn't see your earlier maps, what's that blobby thing with the PRC color along the Baltic?

I don't think I've put him in earlier maps. Thats the deeply unpleasant and North Korea-ish Union of Popular Salutist Republics. Emerged from the remains of the once glorious Kingdom of Prussia. Once more restored to army with a country levels, they are seeking to fuse Germanic and Slavic cultures into a 'Popular' culture.

I don't think I've put him in earlier maps. Thats the deeply unpleasant and North Korea-ish Union of Popular Salutist Republics. Emerged from the remains of the once glorious Kingdom of Prussia. Once more restored to army with a country levels, they are seeking to fuse Germanic and Slavic cultures into a 'Popular' culture.

How does Germany project power and influence to the countries in western Russia if the Union of Popular Salutist Republics is squashed between them?

How does Germany project power and influence to the countries in western Russia if the Union of Popular Salutist Republics is squashed between them?

Very isolationist is the UPSR. Prussia was part of Germania's sphere of influence but only very loosely before the revolution. Those bits in western Russia used to be part of Prussia, and are very grateful for not being forced to be a weird version of German, or bring in the UPSR. They are among Germania's loosest allies.

Mumby, what made New England's borders like it is? I'm imagining they're the sum combined state claims extending westward to the Mississippi...?

Status
Not open for further replies.