Map Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with this scenario is that it would require the British to have advanced knowledge of the future; no one though in 1914 that the war would be so long and terrible.

Why didn't they do so in OTL, when they were in a far more precarious position? Or is it again advanced knowledge of the future?

Dude, take a chill pill.

I'm pretty sure his reasoning for different British foreign and domestic policy is that there is a different governing party in power, rather that whatever one won after WWI.

Dementor

Banned
Dude, take a chill pill.

I'm pretty sure his reasoning for different British foreign and domestic policy is that there is a different governing party in power, rather that whatever one won after WWI.
Yes, but why would a different party have a better way of predicting the future? Because really no one expected that the war would be so protracted. Or that a time would come when holding onto India would be counterproductive.

Yes, but why would a different party have a better way of predicting the future? Because really no one expected that the war would be so protracted. Or that a time would come when holding onto India would be counterproductive.

Accusing someone of giving a party foresight is not the most proactive form of criticism within AH.

AH by its very nature is founded upon the strength of hindsight. Thus the POD the mapmaker made was what if Britain had not joined in the war. The whole point is to explore what would have happened if Britain had stayed out. Yes, if it is poorly explained it might strike someone as foresight, but the fact of the matter is that is not the point. The point is to explore the scenario of Britain staying out of the war.

As for the scenario in question, I don't really find anything about it that questionable, at least in how it plays out.

This is a scenario which was inspired by Niall Ferguson's work on the First World War. Britain remains neutral and,
when Germany comes knocking on Belgium's door, sends them a quiet word to just let the Prussians through unmolested.
The Great War was the Central Powers: Germany, Austro-Hungary, Bulgaria, Italy and the Ottoman Empire versus the Entente:
France, Russia, Greece and Romania. Germany defeats France in 1915 and Russia collapses in 1916.

If the Italians were in the Central Powers, why haven't they gained anything from France? Well, they've gained Tunisia and Djibouti, but why is the European border unchanged?

Also, I'm not quite sure what happened in Indochina (other that for some reason, greater Vietnam and Cambodia gained their independence).

Sort of a map, I suppose. Here we see Parliament with Iceland added.

iceland.png

Numb

Banned
Texas Stays Indepenant Map

this map has texas staying independat after the Congress of the USA fails to pass the annexation bill, pushing Texas to aolly with Britain. Mexico coninues to raid Texas until finaly, in 1849, with Anglo support, Texas and Britain invade and kick Mexico's @$$.

002 Base Map 1849.PNG

Accusing someone of giving a party foresight is not the most proactive form of criticism within AH.

AH by its very nature is founded upon the strength of hindsight. Thus the POD the mapmaker made was what if Britain had not joined in the war. The whole point is to explore what would have happened if Britain had stayed out. Yes, if it is poorly explained it might strike someone as foresight, but the fact of the matter is that is not the point. The point is to explore the scenario of Britain staying out of the war.

As for the scenario in question, I don't really find anything about it that questionable, at least in how it plays out.

Thanks for the critique Dementor, though you're being a little rude and unreasonable about it.

My reasoning over India was that the Liberals are in government with a huge majority. India has been a sore point for Britain since the Mutiny and, with Home Rule in Ireland having just gone down like a charm, they apply roughly the same logic to India. Having passed a Tariff system that gives preferential treatment to the colonies, it's in their interest to build them up economically, and thus the political reforms to productive colonies like the Gold Coast and Malaya are meant to stimulate production, especially after the Great War, which has damaged the mainland European economies and given Britain a competitive advantage. Thus political reform to India isn't me being overly Empire-friendly, but a combination of Liberal party ideology and economic good sense.

As for Britain not joining the war in the first place: well given that Britain had only relatively recently come out of Splendid Isolation, was still wary of French intentions in Africa and Asia and was pants-wettingly terrified of Russia in Central Asia and the Black Sea, I think it's not too stupid of British politicians to figure that just seeing how things rolled out would make sense. Obviously, if the CP had done something stupid like, say, unrestricted submarine warfare (which they don't do ITTL) then yes, they'd get involved. But they don't see their strategic interests as being threatened by what is in scale effectively just another Franco-Prussian War.

The point about Bulgaria and Romania is a good one and yes, I suppose it would make sense for them to annex Dobrudja.

Italy doesn't get any French territory because the French held them off in the Alps and the Germans want a quick victory: they're not prepared to keep the war going for several months (which would piss off the British) just so the Italians can snap up some mountains.

As for South East Asia: they get independence from France in the alt-Treaty of Versailles. Germany gets economic concessions in South East Asia but Cambodia and the Republic of Indochina are still in the French cultural and economic orbit.

Dementor

Banned
Thanks for the critique Dementor, though you're being a little rude and unreasonable about it.
Sorry if I've been rude, it wasn't my intention.
And your reply does explain the map much better. Though didn't Britain also feel threatened by German naval expansion? But perhaps Germany has been more careful on this issue in this timeline and avoided unnecessary conflict with Britain.

Pretty awesome concept. Couple quibbles:

1. What happens to the human race when the Earth is destroyed? How do we survive? (You say the features of the Earth are copied, but nothing re the people. Hm - are we all copies and the originals got killed? That's rather disturbing...)

2. "HOWEVER, the Earth species aren't like the other more pacified upper class planets who bought their designer planets and so we are able to fight back." Color me skeptical: we do a better job of defending ourselves than races who are aeons ahead of us technologically? And if planet-eating AI were anything but supremely unlikely, there would be some sort of space-government service to deal with such things. I would go with the alien corporation secretly (and 100% deniably) infecting the plate with a "virus" in hopes of our dying off and no longer being a big legal hassle...

Bruce

Ah, Thanks for the critique ^.^
#1) When the aliens destroyed earth, their technology automatically has a temporary transfer feature for life. Call it a 'temporary file' in space. Fortunately for us, when we were all transferred there, someone realized the mistake and didn't allow it to be deleted. They aren't ALL bad aliens, though the someone in charge made a huge error. The 'plate' is randomly generated to 'temporarily' sustain the life transferred to it. Therefore, the extra land around the edges is nearly identical to the 'wild' life on earth (it's built within the system to only copy un-developed land, not for situations where an entire planet is being destroyed, but for situations where smaller sections of planets are being destroyed. It keeps the ecosystems destroyed safe until they are deleted automatically, just in case)

2) There are about a hundred years between transfer to the plate and connecting with foreign alien groups before we have to face this AI. Therefore, while pacified, the alien groups on the designer plates near us are happy to share technology and other such things.
Also, my portrayal of the AI might have been a been a bit simple. It's not THAT great of an AI, such that none of the aliens in the galaxy could take it on, however this region of space is unprepared for it. They don't have any weapons and most of their plates are unified. The AI literally disassembles the plates themselves and incorporating them before it goes to the next, and it hides the events using a sort of 'space-time-control' (similar to what bends the earth onto the plate) so that anyone who approaches the plates which the AI has already destroyed will 'at first' only see the exact same things the AI saw when it approached. It replicates the space from the outside to look the same, but not on the inside. All the pacified plates are defeated too quickly to send out much notice (some is sent out, however the AI mimicking the plates denies them and puts them up as accidental messages or something)

The earth planets, still vying for power (and in getting the new land on our plate, we have a few minor conflicts as well as developing our technology as fast as possible) expand their military efforts. Other details involve the fact that while the plate's gravitational field cannot support satellites, when you get to the edge, you simply step off the plate and you are no longer gravitationally held. Large scale space-mining and exploration (both alien species and technology) occur.

IDK, but I think that justifies why the Earth species are the first to 'defeat the aliens' (maybe we'll get some help too) even though we are behind the other aliens. It's not that we are the only one's technologically capable, but we're the only ones who are prepared for war, and continue integrating the new technology we get into weaponry.

Sorry if I've been rude, it wasn't my intention.
And your reply does explain the map much better. Though didn't Britain also feel threatened by German naval expansion? But perhaps Germany has been more careful on this issue in this timeline and avoided unnecessary conflict with Britain.

No problem; I concede that my explanation was a little sketchy and I'll fix that. Most of your points were pretty reasonable though and thanks.

IDK, but I think that justifies why the Earth species are the first to 'defeat the aliens' (maybe we'll get some help too) even though we are behind the other aliens. It's not that we are the only one's technologically capable, but we're the only ones who are prepared for war, and continue integrating the new technology we get into weaponry.

Hm. It's just that this AI, with all its special tricks and techniques, sounds like a particularly unlikely McGuffin...

Bruce

Hm. It's just that this AI, with all its special tricks and techniques, sounds like a particularly unlikely McGuffin...

Bruce

Hmm... I'll look into making it easier. Maybe I'll do what you said and try and swing it back around to this 'company', though I liked the idea of it devouring other plates first.

Thanks! I'll work on it. Like I said though, I'm giving the humans some years to adjust before I send anything our way, so I still have a lot to flesh out in the meantime. Hopefully I can find a more meaningful and original enemy before then.

Very nice indeed Blomma. Any explanation of what's going on with Belgium, or would that be a violation of confidentiality? :)

Bruce

That is a beautiful map.

One question- if Poland is part of the German sphere, then why is Posen still Polish?

Also- is Germany communist?

That is good! Better then the average map in the average novel, anyway.

Mmkay, I saw the shear variety of colours in TACOS, and I decided to make a post-apocalyptic map. The apocalypse was caused by either a firestorm of WMDs or a Super Bug. Or both, not sure yet.

The world varies quite wildly... Europe is like some sort of mix between the Migration Period and Feudal times; except in the European Union (Obviously not called as such locally). Most of Africa has reverted to something like it was in the 1500s (But not the Boerstaat and it's trade sphere).... and so on.
Here are the areas/states that would be likely to recolonize the world (Threshold being ability to produce and use electricity):
The European Union (Fully functional, somewhat safe grid, though 80% of the population prefers not to be connected.)
The Boer Trade Sphere (A single working powerplant outside Pretoria, and the upper class has access to battery powered technologies.)
The Australian Confederation (Lower tech grid, filled with faulty wiring and fire hazards.)
United New Zealand (Same technologies as Australia, but safer and available to more of the population.)
Trans-Canadian Alliance states** (City-only power in some places, but no rural or interconnected grids.)

*: Please not that these are not the common names, but rather their current equivalents.
**: Quebec, Ottawa, Huron, Chicago.

post-apoc.png

Status
Not open for further replies.