The Story of a Party 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so I wrote in the thread that I would restart this timeline. I am now doing so. This new version of the timeline will use a different style, with longer chapters consisting of a mixture of 'book clips' and narrative, inspired by Jared and EdT. Things will also happen slightly differently from the original TL, with Fremont being slightly more cautious, although he will eventually get heavy-handed, which the Southerners won't like…

Thanks also to benjamin for tips on how to make Buchanan lose.

SoAP-USA-en.png

Last edited:
Story of a Party - Chapter I

Taken from "From Washington to Fremont: A History of Antebellum United States Politics 1789-1858"
By Professor Josiah Porter
University of North California Press, 1957

Chapter 12: The Fall of the Second Party System
In 1848, the Whig Party won the presidential election, despite their campaigning (which focused mostly on condemning President Polk for his hawkish prosecution of the Mexican War) having been disproved by the signing of the Treaty of Guadelupe Hidalgo. The popular war hero Zachary Taylor was sent into office.

Eight years later, in 1856, there was practically no Whig party left. They did not nominate a presidential candidate in the election of that year, nor did they have any members in Congress. So what was it that caused this quick fall?

For a start, the Compromise of 1850, which potentially opened both New Mexico and Utah to slavery and admitted California as a free state, weakened the party, as it included factions that were both for and against the institution of slavery. The anti-slavery group blocked the re-nomination of Millard Fillmore, the incumbent president, who had opposed the Wilmot Proviso, the proposed law that would keep slavery out of all new territory annexed into the United States, and the party ended up nominating the popular, but somewhat apolitical, general Winfield Scott, conqueror of Mexico City. Scott ended up losing the election in a landslide to Franklin Pierce, a Democrat.

During the electoral campaign, both Daniel Webster, senator from Massachusetts, and Henry Clay, both senator and representative rolled into one, from Kentucky, died. They had both been leading figures in the party from the start, and had helped to ease divisiveness within the party. Without these unifying figures, the party began to crumble, and when the Democratic government brought the Kansas-Nebraska bill, that would open up virtually all of the Western territories to slavery based on popular sovereignty, the Whig Party was done for.

Southern Whigs were in favour of the bill, whereas most northerners in the party were vehemently opposed to it, due to the possibility, however unlikely, of inviting slavery all across the West. Eventually most northern Whigs resigned from the party, to form the Republican Party. This new party was based around abolitionist lines, and many free-soiler Democrats joined the new party as well. This was the final nail in the coffin for the Whig party, most of whose remaining members dispersed between the Democrats, the American Party, which ignored the slavery issue altogether in favour of opposing further immigration into the country, and several small parties across the nation, until there was only a tiny, battered remnant left.

And so it was, that in 1856, the second-to-largest party only four years earlier was forced to back a different party's candidate, whereas the two-year-old Republican Party managed to gain office in their first ever election…

From "A History of America Through its Presidents"
John Bachmann & Son, Bluefields, Nicaragua, 1945

The Presidential Election of 1856

The election of 1856 was, and still remains, an important watermark in our nation's history. For the first time in that party's history, the Whigs failed to nominate a candidate for the presidency. The Republican Party won virtually the entire North, with Indiana and Illinois being the only free states to vote Democratic.

The Democratic National Convention, held in Cincinnati, Ohio in June, was a turbulent event, with seventeen ballots needed before a candidate could claim victory. In the first ballot, the diplomat James Buchanan of Pennsylvania received a thin plurality of votes over President Pierce, with Senator Stephen Douglas of Illinois as a powerful third party. In the following ballots, support for the President weakened further, and eventually, by the fifteenth ballot, his nomination was withdrawn, and Buchanan could claim victory over both Pierce and Douglas.

The Republican National Convention, held in Philadelphia two weeks later, nominated, overwhelmingly on the first ballot, John C. Frémont, an Army Colonel, explorer, filibuster and former senator from California, for President, and William Dayton of New Jersey for Vice President. Frémont was known throughout the nation for his efforts to establish a route across the Rocky Mountains to California, which were finished just as the Gold Rush of 1849 began there. This had earned him the sobriquet 'The Pathfinder', and he was quite popular with the voters for his common heritage and his bravery.

Throughout the autumn, the candidates campaigned for office relatively vigorously by the time's standards, and Buchanan in particular was indefatigable at making public appearances in large cities, making a speech and conversing with local politicians. This ended up hurting him more than it helped him, due to his views on certain subjects which alienated most Northerners and more than a few Southerners. His speeches in Philadelphia and Harrisburg, in which he condemned the use of protective tariffs on foreign trade, holding that although it would boost demand for domestic products, it would cause irreparable damage to the economy, which was dependent on foreign trade (or so he claimed), are usually stated as having cost him his home state and the election, although this was only one of many aspects of his failure.

When Buchanan spoke in Springfield, Illinois, he addressed particularly the need for a final settlement to the slavery issue, which was still the elephant in the room of the presidential campaign. He was deliberately vague as to which side he would take, which was interpreted by the listeners as taking a pro-slavery stance, but not mentioning it explicitly for fears of the powerful backlash it would cause. This speech was followed up two days later by a renowned local lawyer and Republican politician, Abraham Lincoln, who made an eloquent speech about the rights of man, and the inhumanity of slavery.

The Democrats and the Republicans were far from alone in seeking the presidency, however. There was a powerful third party in the American Party, which ran on a platform based solely on limiting immigration, and ignoring the slavery issue altogether. They nominated Millard Fillmore, the last Whig president. The remnant Whig Party threw their lot behind Fillmore as well, causing that party to disappear altogether. Fillmore did quite well for himself, given the relative insignificance of the parties that supported him, and managed to win Maryland and Delaware from Buchanan.

The election ended up a victory for Frémont and the Republicans, who scored 163 electoral votes, as opposed to Buchanan's 122 and Fillmore's 11. John Charles Frémont became the 15th President of the United States.

Staten Island, New York
United States
Dec 3, 1856

The little bar by the ferry landing was crowded with people, all of whom had turned up to celebrate the victory at the polls of the Republicans, an event which had already been named by the Manhattan penny press as 'a new birth of freedom' and 'the path to liberty found', referring to President-elect John Frémont's nickname. Frémont, who lived only a few blocks away when visiting New York, had been a frequent customer of the bar during his years of insignificance, before the Mexican War brought him nationwide fame, and he had never stopped going there. At the moment, he was sitting at a table by the window with William Dayton, Nathanael Banks and Abraham Lincoln, three other high Republicans. At the moment, they were conversing about the spread of slavery.

"So, Mr Fremont, what are you going to do to stop this popular sovereignty nonsense?" Banks asked.

"Well, that is up to Congress. We do have a majority, though, and I'm certain that someone will propose an act shortly", the President-elect answered.

"Well", Dayton filled in, "there's still the matter of slavery in the South, or 'the peculiar institution' as the doughfaces call it. I think the Southerners will be really angered when a president goes into office, having only received six hundred votes from slave states [1], and openly proclaiming abolitionism. We might even be openly attacked. What should we do should the South try to secede?"

"We should fight them, of course", Banks, who was also a general in the Army, added.

"Well, gentlemen", Fremont said, "of course, if it comes to that we must indeed fight, but I am sure I speak for all of us when I say that a peaceful end to slavery would be best for all. If we can get the Southerners to agree to manumission, the Union would hold more closely together."

"Quite right", Lincoln added. "I am reminded of a passage from the Bible: 'And if a house be divided against itself, that house cannot stand'[2]. Now, I do not for one second believe that the house will fall, that the Union will fall, but I do believe that it will be all one way or the other. Let us hope that it will be all free."

"Well", said Fremont, "I can drink to that. To freedom for all, regardless of race, and to our Union!"

Everyone drank the contents of their glasses, and discussion moved to another subject.

From "The Great Pathfinder" by Abraham Richardson
Yale University Press, 1954

Chapter 7: The President

John Charles Fremont was inaugurated as President of the United States on March 4, 1857, and immediately went to work on arresting the spread of slavery, his principal election promise. Dayton and Fremont were able to use their majority in the House and their not-quite-majority in the Senate to bar any bill on either popular sovereignty or the abolition of tariffs from being passed through Congress.

The proposition of statehood for Minnesota Territory, however, was met with strong enough support to be passed, but due to the balance between free and slave states needing to be kept (even Fremont realised that a break from this would lead to civil war), the question was left to a Senate committee to make a compromise…"

From "The Dictionary of 19th Century American Politics"

"MINNESOTA STATEHOOD ACT: The act of Congress admitting the eastern half of Minnesota Territory as a state. Signed into law on October 17, 1857, the Act carved two polities out of the former Minnesota Territory: a state of Minnesota containing the eastern half [3], and a territory west of that which fell unorganised."

"The Minnesota statehood compromise was made due to Southern fears of another powerful free state entering the Union, to further extend Northern dominance in the electoral college. The splitting of the territory satisfied both sides, as the state admitted was smaller than the territory (although it contained almost the entire population), which pleased the South, and since another free state could be admitted from the unorganised land on the left bank of the Missouri, which pleased the North. This was one of the more successful pieces of legislation enacted by the Fremont administration, and lacked the heavy-handedness that characterised the later parts of his presidency. Historians generally theorise that this was due to an initial cautiousness on Fremont's part, that was gradually relieved as more and more abolitionist legislation passed through Congress…"

[1] This was the case IOTL as well. All of the votes were from Maryland and Delaware.
[2] This passage, Mark 3:25, was the one that inspired Lincoln to write his historical "House Divided" speech.
[3] Like IOTL, the border runs along the Red River (North) along to Lake Traverse, then through that lake, Big Stone Lake and the Minnesota River up until 96 degrees 30 minutes west, from where it follows that meridian to the Iowa border.

And a map to go with that, too.

SoAP-el-1856.png

Last edited:
I wish I could make maps that good. the timeline looks good, but i noticed that you made a typo in the viewpoint thing. Presumably the mr in So, mr Fremont should be capitalized. Anyway, liking it.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'm glad that everyone is liking it!

Chapter 2 is well on the way, and will probably be posted sometime in the weekend.

Story of a Party - Chapter II

"Henceforth, the watchword of every uncompromising abolitionist, of every friend of God and liberty, must be, in a religious as well as political sense - 'NO UNION WITH SLAVEHOLDERS' "
- William Lloyd Garrison

"Around the time of the Minnesota compromise, another issue had sprung up and caught the attention of everyone in the United States: William Walker, an American filibuster, had returned from his first expedition to Nicaragua, where he had installed himself as President, and had been driven out by forces of the neighbouring states. His government had been recognised by President Pierce as the rightful one in that nation, and as such there were many calls for sending him aid for his next expedition, which he was planning at the time. The people who were most strongly in favour of this were democrats, both Southerners like Breckinridge and "dough-faces" like Buchanan. The Republicans were mostly against aiding the expedition, claiming it to be a violation of international law and a dangerous attempt to extend slavery. President Fremont himself, however, were rather ambivalent. He was a well-known frontiersman, and his belief in Manifest Destiny was well-known. He believed that supporting an incursion into Nicaragua, and eventually the other Central American nations, might both create a temporary diversion from the slavery issue, buying the Republican congressmen time to work out new legislation, and eventually, should those areas be annexed into the United States, additional counterweight to the Southern voters who favoured the extension of slavery. On the other hand, however, Walker was a southerner, and his intent in conquering Nicaragua had been to get annexed to the United States, extending slavery into new areas. It was very likely that Walker would refuse any offer of annexation that did not include the provision of making Nicaragua a slave territory.

The decision Fremont made, for whatever reason, was to talk to Walker and see if any bargain could be struck…"

The White House
Washington, D.C., United States
12 September 1857

"… so thus is my predicament, Mr President", William Walker said. "My expedition was thrown out of Nicaragua not by the Costa Rican army, as the penny press has it, but by the U.S. Navy! Is there any explanation for this?"

"Calm down" Fremont replied. "This was all in motion before I entered office. If anything, you should be shouting down Mr. Pierce."

"You know as well as I do that he is in Europe with his wife [1]." Walker added. "But that is of no importance. Now, Mr President, I know that you and I are made of the same stuff. We both explored and filibustered in the Mexican desert back in the '40s, only that the parts I captured didn't join the U.S. after the war. So I'm sure that you feel the same way as I do about this expedition. Nicaragua would be an excellent addition to our Union. It has excellent fields, high mountains no one has ever seen the top of, and, most important of all, there is a huge lake in the middle of it, that almost straddles the coastline on one side. It would be an excellent place to build a canal, and that could be significant help to your home state [2]."

"Your proposal has merit, Mr. Walker. Unfortunately, I am worried by your intents. Last time you took the country, you re-instituted slavery there. I want you to know that any venture to extend the institution of slavery to Nicaragua will be vehemently opposed by my government, and by the Republican party."

Walker knew that, of course, and it was true that he did want to establish the peculiar institution in Nicaragua. However, he had not quite had the chance to evaluate the land before he was booted out of the country, and it might well turn out that slavery would be unprofitable. After some thinking, he answered. "Well, Mr President, I shall have to come back to you on that point, once we have surveyed the land more closely. This will, of course, require our expedition to succeed."

Fremont took Walkers less than subtle hint immediately, replying: "Alright, then. I will propose a deal to you. You will receive some food supplies, and all of your men will be outfitted with army-issue rifles. Once you have left us a guarantee that you will not enslave any citizen of Nicaragua or bring any slaves into the country, we will grant you some financial aid and an offer of annexation."

"Mr President, I think we have a deal."

From "William Walker: A Biography" by Joseph Martin
Hiedler Publishing, Idaho, Shoshone, 1966

"After receiving support from Fremont, William Walker and his band of soldiers left the United States for Nicaragua. Once they arrived in San Juan del Sur, they easily defeated the local garrison there and sailed up the river using a small armed motorboat that they had carried aboard their ship. The distance up San Juan River was covered readily, and they managed to cross Lake Nicaragua and land at the smouldering ruins of Granada [3].

There, they found a Costa Rican army waiting for them. The Costa Ricans had gotten an advanced warning of Walker's second expedition, and had marched what remained of their old volunteer force back to Granada. Walker and his men were prepared for such an eventuality, and their new armaments proved their worth against the motley group of barely trained soldiers the Costa Ricans had outfitted. It was a long fight, but in the end, when the Napoleon gun the filibusters had purchased from an arms dealer in Savannah, Georgia and brought with them all the way was uncovered, most of the Costa Ricans fled. General Cañas of the Costa Rican army, seeing his troops running through the countryside, had no choice but to surrender. Walker now controlled Nicaragua once again, but he would face new enemies before his rule was stabilised…"

"When news came to Washington of Walker's success, the Southern politicians cheered on the prospect of adding another slave state to the Union, and the Northerners were unsettled at the attempts to do this. The Republicans, who had reluctantly agreed to Fremont's proposal of aiding Walker, now hoped that he would emancipate, as he had informally promised Fremont he would do. When no such notice reached them, the decision was made to impose trade restrictions on Walker's government. There were even proposals for an outright blockade on Nicaragua's coasts. These plans were, however, rebuffed by Fremont, who believed that a better idea was to try to double-cross Walker into accepting annexation as a free territory. Walker was dealing with internal affairs, and had no time to conduct foreign policy.

Fremont did not fret over the lack of response from Walker, however. He had more than his share of work settling down the 'Bleeding Kansas' crisis, and preparing an act to reverse Kansas-Nebraska…"

From "From Washington to Fremont: A Political History of the Antebellum United States, 1789-1858"

"By the Kansas-Nebraska Act, Kansas Territory had been formed, and like the rest of the West, its fate as slavery regards was to be determined by popular vote. Since Kansas was more heavily settled than Nebraska, and was surrounded entirely by slave states but populated mostly by settlers from free states, this situation quickly escalated into a crisis, when settlers arrived from Missouri to try and spread slavery into the new areas.

The first Missourians to arrive in Kansas were the so-called "border ruffians", who occupied Lecompton (the territorial capital) long enough to force the election of a pro-slavery legislature. In defiance of the resulting lack of representation, the local free-soilers held conventions starting in 1855, at which they put forth different plans for ensuring the eventual freedom of Kansas State. The arrival of slavers and pro-slavery farmers as settlers in the territory, which continued through the years, caused these meetings to be subject to violent opposition, that manifested itself in the Lecompton Massacre of November 1857, as the assembled free-soilers were viciously attacked by pro-slavery settlers and border ruffians.

Bleeding_Kansas_Poster.jpg

A free-soiler poster from 1855.

The Massacre led to the declaration of martial law in Kansas, and the deployment of a regiment of federal troops in the territory. This only served to further anger the pro-slavery settlers, who began openly referring to the government as "those abolitionist scum" and Fremont as "the fiend in the White House". A raid was conducted against the temporary regimental armoury that had been established in Topeka, aiming to release government issue weapons among pro-slavery farmers, to march on Lecompton and force the territorial government to declare Kansas a slave territory. This raid was firmly rebuffed by federal troops, narrowly avoiding turning the unrest into open civil war.

After this event, the army tightened its control of the countryside, and the local free-soilers, led by John Brown, aided the federal troops in bringing down the pro-slavery forces, who were increasingly being viewed as terrorists, and restoring order. Eventually, in June of 1859, the legislature, now controlled by the free-soilers, began work on a constitution for a new Kansas State, to be admitted into the Union by act of Congress."

"On March 14, 1858, right when the Bleeding Kansas crisis was at its height, the Republican Congressmen, led by House Majority Leader Nathaniel Banks of Massachusetts, announced that they were finished drafting the so-called "New West" bill, which would reorganise the American West into a series of territories slightly smaller than the present ones, an action that, it was hoped, would reduce lawlessness by moving local governments closer to settlers. However, the bill was tabled in a vote, since the Republicans lacked a majority in the Senate and the Democrats had voted against it, as all the territories in the West were to be free-soil. The bill was not modified by the Republicans for two reasons: firstly, they did not want to concede any land to popular sovereignty, and secondly, the Kansas crisis was not over yet. However, that summer, with the gradual victory of the free-soilers in Kansas, work was slowly resumed on the revised bill, but it was not finished until November, just in time for the congressional midterm election."

From "A Complete History of the United States Congress"
Complied by the Library of Congress, 1955

"1858 midterm election

The 1858 midterm election was a surprisingly anticlimactic moment in all the chaos that was engulfing the United States at the time. After Bleeding Kansas, "Bleeding Sumner" [4], the presidential election of 1856 and the Nicaragua expedition, everyone expected rough, almost violent campaigning, but the elections were generally quite calm, and people went to the polls as usual. When the ballots were counted, the big winners were the Republicans, who gained seats in the House and finally achieved a majority in the Senate, together with the Northern Know-Nothings, who were increasingly becoming a wing of the Republicans. Now, 35 of 65 [5] Senate seats, and 121 of 233 House seats. For a full list of Congressmen during the 35th Congress, see the "Lists" section."

Taken from "From Washington to Fremont: A History of Antebellum United States Politics 1789-1858"

"Worthy of particular note was the Illinois senatorial contest. Senator Stephen Douglas' seat was up for reelection, and Abraham Lincoln contested the seat for the Republicans. Douglas was favoured by people from the south of the state, as well as a few big business owners, and Lincoln was liked by small-time business owners (who still dominated the Illinoian landscape), northerners, as well as the Republican-majority [6] General Assembly, the state legislature. While Lincoln would most likely be elected by the General Assembly, the senatorial election would take place once the new Assembly had taken office, and after some debating, Lincoln and Douglas decided to hold formal debates once in every congressional district except Chicago and Springfield, where both had already spoken. The debates quickly became public spectacles, and masses of visitors came to each one to hear what the major parties had in store for Illinois, and about the future of slavery, which quickly became the principal subject of the debates.

In the end, the Republicans won the election this time again, sending Lincoln to the Senate, and disgruntling Douglas into a period of inaction. With a majority delegation, including Lincoln, in the Senate to defend the Republican colours in the face of popular sovereignty, the future of slavery in the Union was secured at a stroke."

"As soon as the new Congress had entered session, Banks put his "New West" bill, now revised as the Territorial Reorganisation bill, forth to Congress for debate. The new act originally contained a provision that would establish popular sovereignty in New Mexico, but this was struck out when news of the new congressional majorities reached Banks. The provision was replaced by one formally recognising the Territory of Jefferson, which had been set up in the foothills of the Rockies, on land controlled by five different territories, a few weeks prior. A new Territory of Dakota would also be created, covering both the unorganised land left over from Minnesota and land to its west, across the Mississippi. The Territory of Shoshone would be established in the Snake River valley, and Nebraska and Kansas would both lose major land in their west in preparation for statehood.

The bill was vehemently opposed by literally every Southerner in Congress, who felt that their interests were being sufficiently protected by the Kansas-Nebraska Act. The Republicans, however, were almost entirely in favour of it, and since they had a majority in both House and Senate, the vote went in favour. President Fremont signed the bill into law, and on April 14, 1859, the Territorial Reorganisation Act was added into United States legal history."

From "To Live and Die in Dixie" by Willie Pearson
Duke University Press, 1946

"The signing of the Territorial Reorganisation Act caused great fury in the South, not only because the compromises of 1850 and 1854 had both been thrown onto the ash heap of history, but also because this was the first time that a major bill had passed into law with every single Southern congressman voting against. The general feeling was one of political castration, and the idea of secession found more and more adherents across the South…"

[1] Pierce did indeed go to Europe with his wife after being humiliated at the polls (or rather at the DNC). He didn't return to Washington until 1859.
[2] California.
[3] Walker's general Charles Frederic Henningsen razed Granada to the ground before leaving, IOTL and ITTL alike.
[4] In May of 1856, Senator Charles Sumner of Massachusetts gave a speech to Congress, strongly criticising the Southern Congressmen in general and Senators Andrew Butler and Stephen Douglas, the principal authors of the Kansas-Nebraska Act, in particular, for their part in triggering the Bleeding Kansas. He referred to Butler as a pimp and an adulterer, reportedly mocking his methods of speech (Butler was suffering from a stroke at the time). This enraged Representative Preston Brooks, a nephew of Butler, so much that he severely flogged Sumner with his cane in the Senate chamber two days later. Sumner suffered massive head trauma, and was almost killed. South Carolinians were enthusiastic, sending Brooks new canes (one was gold-tipped) and praising him in newspaper editorials, but Northerners were enraged, and turned Sumner into a martyr, furthering the strong divides over slavery.
[5] I'm not counting Sumner's seat, which was vacant as Sumner was still rehabilitating from his head injuries at the time.
[6] Already the elections of 1856 cost the Democrats their control of the General Assembly, as Buchanan's speech in Springfield (which, by the way, consisted mainly of stressing the right of popular sovereignty) caused him to lose significant popularity in the state, whereas Lincoln's response, a flaming speech about the right to freedom for all which is considered one of his best ITTL, made significant progress toward the Republicans gaining the state.

Last edited:
Will you focus on the culture (like sports, music, books, etc.) and technological aspects of this TL?

How far do you plan on taking it?

This is good so far.

Will you focus on the culture (like sports, music, books, etc.) and technological aspects of this TL?

For now, the focus is mostly political, as things aren't really different in any other field. However, TTL's Civil War and (especially) Reconstruction are going to be vastly different, and as such we might see a very different cultural landscape, which I'll be sure to cover once we get to it.

How far do you plan on taking it?

If things go right, to the present day.

This is good so far.

Thanks! I'm glad you all think so!

I forgot to ask this in a previous post: Will you focus on the world in this TL?

When's the next update?

This is a very, very different start to the Civil War. Instead of getting secession right off the bat, we have a few years of the Northerners lording it over the south and breaking any slave power conspiracy which may have existed. Interesting.

You hint at a different reconstruction...for better or for worse.... I've always wanted to see a TL which had a radical republican reconstruction... the implications are delicious.

I forgot to ask this in a previous post: Will you focus on the world in this TL?

I will, eventually. However, things around the world aren't going to happen much differently just because there is a different POTUS; for now, only the US is alternate.

When's the next update?

Soon, hopefully. I haven't started writing it yet, but it will probably be posted sometime next week. I will try to give you at least one update a week as we go on.

This is a very, very different start to the Civil War. Instead of getting secession right off the bat, we have a few years of the Northerners lording it over the south and breaking any slave power conspiracy which may have existed. Interesting.

Yes; another thing to consider is that this is going to make secession a lot less legitimate, as Frémont did not actually try to abolish slavery altogether (as most Southerners who voted against him in 1856 feared he would).

You hint at a different reconstruction...for better or for worse.... I've always wanted to see a TL which had a radical republican reconstruction... the implications are delicious.

Well, a Radical Republican reconstruction, while worse on the former slavers, is sure as hell going to be easier on the freedmen. For example, voter registration would probably be handled by the federal government rather than the state governments, to ensure that it's handled by people who guaranteedly won't try to fool any freedman who tries to obtain voting rights. Segregation can also hopefully be closer to the original maxim "separate but equal", if not avoided altogether.

Story of a Party - Chapter III

"Fellow-Citizens, in the name of your rights and liberties, which I believe have been trampled upon, I refuse to take this oath. In the name of the nationality of Texas, which has been betrayed by the Convention, I refuse to take this oath. In the name of the Constitution of Texas, I refuse to take this oath. In the name of my own conscience and manhood, which this Convention would degrade by dragging me before it, to pander to the malice of my enemies, I refuse to take this oath. I deny the power of this Convention to speak for Texas....I protest....against all the acts and doings of this convention and I declare them null and void."
- Sam Houston

"After the Territorial Reorganisation Act was signed into law, the South became increasingly restive. The Act had not only destroyed the carefully-weighed compromises engineered by the Democrats in the preceding years, but it had also violated the Missouri Compromise by making New Mexico a free territory, and if all that were not enough, every single Southerner in Congress had voted against the Act, but it had still passed. Several Southern congressmen now began openly talking about secession, and in June of 1859 the Secession Society was formed in Charleston, South Carolina. The Society quickly gained supporters in many places, ranging from mainstream politicians like John Breckinridge and Jefferson Davis [1] to some of the more obscure secret societies, such as the Knights of the Golden Circle.

The Society's support worried most Northerners, who feared the event of the South actually attempting secession; however, some radical abolitionists welcomed the idea as a way to end slavery decisively, and pointed to the fact that the North had more than twice the population of the South, and almost all the nation's industry. These opinions were held mainly by men in the Republican ranks, including Frederick Douglass and the recently-recovered Senator Charles Sumner. Most high-ranking Republicans, including President Fremont, House Majority Leader Nathaniel Banks and Senator Abraham Lincoln, held more moderate views, but assured anyone who would listen that they would fight for the Union should the Southerners threaten it.

The Democrats were deeply divided over the issue, as some Northern Democrats, had actually voted for the Act. Those Northerners who had opposed it attacked them for what they perceived as helping the Republicans cause further division, and were in turn accused of being dough-faces. Most of the Southern Democrats (a notable exception being Senator Andrew Johnson) were entirely separate from these arguments, continuing merely to preach about the Republican radicals and abolitionists trying to enclose the South with free-soil territories, further unbalancing the already unbalanced Union until the Southerners could be forced to emancipate. These men soon joined forces with the Secession Society, as the belief that secession was now the only way to save the Peculiar Institution became more and more widespread among Southern politicians."

"As the summer of 1859 turned to autumn, the crisis that the Act had caused was about to hit the boiling point. Both the Republicans and some Northern Democrats opposed the Southerners, and certainly no one in the North wanted for the Union to split squarely down the middle. A large group Southern Democrat Congressmen met in Senator Davis' Washington house on September 8, to try and work out a common agenda. They eventually decided to put forth a petition, worded as an ultimatum, to President Fremont, stating that unless he agreed to revert Kansas and New Mexico to slavery, and restore the rest of the West to popular sovereignty, they would all resign their congressional seats and go back to their home states. The document was so worded as to imply that they would use their influence to convince their state legislatures to secede. It was signed by all attendees, and presented to the President on the 13th."

White House
Washington, D.C.
September 13th, 1859

"So, gentlemen, why have you come here?"

"Well, Mr President," Senator Jefferson Davis began, "we are all of the firm belief that the passing of the Territories Reorganisation Act by Congress this March was a great loss to the Nation at large."

"Hear, hear," several men at the back of the small crowd said as Davis spoke.

"Since that time, I and my fellow Federal officials here" - he pointed to the group of people behind him - "have been drafting plans to make a new compromise that will satisfy every State in our Union. Originally, we were hopeful for the Union, and we are still of the firm belief that this grand and glorious country must not be plagued by this division - however, there seem to be few ways to preserve our Peculiar Institution in the face of your government's policies, except for seceding. If you would read this document, Mr. President."

As he was handed the document, he was as near as possibly certain that Davis was hard-presses to keep himself from spitting at referring to him as 'Mr. President'. Fremont did not know the man very well, but judging from the contents of the document, he must have been something of a radical. The text basically called for the Kansas-Nebraska Act to be reinstated, and Kansas and New Mexico were even to be made slave territory. If he did not comply with this, they would all resign.

"Senator, you will understand that I cannot possibly sign this document. It will destroy all the efforts of the Republican party to ensure the freedom of our Union. And if you believe in popular sovereignty, I shall refer you to the fact that the people of Kansas Territory have written a constitution of their own, in which slavery is banned. To open the territory to slavery would be to deny their stated will."

"Well, Mr President, that document was only written since any resistance had been crushed by your federal troops. How can we be sure that the constitution was not signed at gunpoint?"

"Well, Senator, the troops were nearly all in Lecompton dealing with the ruffian massacre at the time. The constitution was signed in Manhattan."

"You say nearly all. For all we know, there may have been a whole company of infantry in the hall where the constituents were gathered, ready to intervene should there be even a mention of opening the territory to slavery?"

"This is moving off the original topic. If you have any further actual information regarding these demands of yours, then please mention them straight away. If not, leave, knowing that I will duly consider your ultimatum."

"Very well, then. We will leave."

"In hindsight we can never be sure, but presumably, Fremont never even gave a thought about Davis' ultimatum. What we do know is that he did not bother to answer it, leading to the group of Southerners around Davis all leaving their seats and returning home. There, they joined forces with the Secession Society in agitating for secession, and managed to get most of the Southern states to hold Secessionist Conventions, where the issue of secession could be discussed and, eventually, brought to the vote.

In Texas, however, the local situation had made such a thing impossible…"

From "Sam Houston: The Man and the Legend" by Andrew Sanchez
University of Texas Press, 1962

"The reason why Texas did not secede along with most of the other Southern states can be directly linked to Houston's action and reasoning. A few months earlier, in mid-July of 1859, the rancher and former Mexican Army colonel of irregulars Juan Cortina had led an uprising among his fellow Mexicans in southern Texas. He had successfully captured the town of Brownsville, despite the efforts of the local militia [2], and gone on to capture several other nearby towns along the Rio Grande, reapportioning the land of the Americans who had displaced the Mexican landowners following the war. The defeat of local militia led Houston to declare martial law in twelve counties surrounding Brownsville, and to commandeer in a full regiment of the Texas National Guard to restore order. By September, Cortina's uprising was struck down, and Cortina himself fled across the Rio Grande to his own possessions on the Mexican side of that river, in the state of Tamaulipas. He would go on to become one of the last governors of that state in the 1870s.

After the uprising, Houston began to work against secession, believing that Texan interests were better served by remaining in the Union, and that it needed to be upheld regardless of its property laws [3]. When the Texas Secessionist Convention was opened in Austin on January 16, 1860, Houston attended, and provided powerful leadership to the anti-secessionist faction. He held a now-famous speech on the fourth day of the convention, in which he stated that Texan interests would be betrayed by secession, and urged everyone to vote against it.

This speech, along with several other statements made by Houston and his allies, won over the Convention, and when the delegates took to the ballots, the results were substantially, if not overwhelmingly, in favour of staying in the Union."

From "The Civil War" by Kenneth Burnside
University of Illinois Press, 1948

"As 1859 gave way to 1860, state after state elected to secede from the Union. The first was South Carolina, on November 29. Then came Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia and Florida, whose secessionist conventions all voted in favour of secession in December (respectively, on the 6th, 9th, 15th, and 23rd). Louisiana voted to secede on January 7, followed by North Carolina on the 13th. Tennessee held a convention between the 19th and the 22nd, but ended up staying in the Union, as did Kentucky on February 19. By then, Arkansas (Feb 2) and Virginia (Feb 13) had seceded, and Missouri would join them on March 5.

The ten seceding states agreed to band together into a confederacy to oppose the Union, and a constitutional convention was held in Montgomery in April. The young nation called itself the Confederacy of American States, and was to be composed of states that were in theory sovereign, but in practice had given up control of foreign policy, as well as some economic affairs as well as the regular army, to a central government, which was to be based in Montgomery. John A. Quitman of Mississippi was elected President, with former Representative William Lowndes Yancey of Alabama as his Vice President.

The nation quickly formed its own military, consisting of the Confederate Army, composed of some volunteers, defecting federal troops, and had loose control over state militias, and the Confederate Navy, consisting entirely of defecting vessels of the US Navy, but which would soon be expanded with ships of independent design."

Taken from "The Great Pathfinder" by Abraham Richardson

"Ten days after the Confederacy was formed, Fremont received a letter from the newly-inaugurated President Quitman. It stated, calmly and succinctly, that the failed Secessionist Conventions in Kentucky and Tennessee were not to be regarded as speaking for their respective states, and that the Confederacy had rightful claims to both states. Furthermore, Quitman insisted that the Union cede the two states, in their entirety, lest he should order military action. Fremont must have been baffled by this show of aggressiveness on the new nation's part, for his reply letter was a flat refusal, and a declaration of open war, which has gone into history as the first spark of the great fire that would engulf America in the years to come…"

From a letter written by President John C. Fremont of the United States to President John A. Quitman of the Confederacy, May 5, 1860

"Mr. "President",

I will inform you that I have received your recent letter. However, I am far from pleased to find out its contents. Your demands of both Kentucky and Tennessee are entirely illegal; these two states elected to remain in the Union of their own free will, and their lawfully chosen state governments have not acted apart from their peoples' wishes.

Already by clinging to the institution of slavery, this practice which every civilised nation in this world have condemned and abolished, and keeping several million people in cruel bondage, you stake claims to nothing but barbarity. By unjustly claiming these two states for yourself, despite them having elected to stay in the Union by the popular sovereignty which your party [4] has repeatedly stressed to be a human right, you merely reassure everyone of this opinion that they are right.

As for my own personal sense of honour, I will freely admit that it is quite strong. It revolves around the oneness of our Union, and the right to freedom of all God's creatures. I am normally a man of peace, but when these values are threatened, I do not hesitate to draw arms and fight for a just cause." [5]

From "The Civil War" by Kenneth Burnside
University of Illinois Press, 1948

"After President Fremont's declaration of war, recruiting was started to replace the defecting Federal troops, as well as to bolster the Union Army with new soldiers.

A notable Southerner who fought for the Union in defiance of his home state's allegiance was then-Colonel Robert E. Lee, who did not defect to the Confederacy when Virginia seceded in early 1860. Later in his life, he cited that feelings of patriotism toward the Union, as well as an offer from President Fremont of promotion to brevet Major-General, and command of a whole field army, weighed greater to him than the sentiments of loyalty to his home state, although he remained a proud Virginian.

Lee was given command of the Army of the Tennessee, which had marching orders for Chattanooga, to defend against a likely attack by local Confederate troops. It was here, in the rolling hills of the Appalachians, that the first battle of the Civil War would stand…"

[1] IOTL, Davis was one of many in the South who wanted for the Union to hold, but also wanted Southern interests to be protected, and would go along with secession if such a thing was necessary. ITTL, he is disgruntled with Fremont's policies and eventually makes up his mind that secession is the only way to protect the Southern economy and way of life.
[2] Another major difference. IOTL, the militia handily defeated Cortina. ITTL, the instability of the Union and fear for their property effectively lowers the militiamen's morale, and so Cortina manages to defeat them.
[3] IOTL, Houston also held these views. He actually received an offer from President Lincoln to lead a federal army back into Texas to undo its secession, but declined on the grounds that Texas had seen enough bloodshed already.
[4] Fremont considers the secession illegal, and still holds Quitman to be a renegade Democrat.
[5] The third passage is inspired by Crown Prince Karl Johan of Sweden's (the former Jean Bernadotte, Marshal of France and Prince of Pontecorvo) declaration of war on Napoleon, in 1812.

the_united_states_in_1860_by_thearesproject-d4jwllj.png

Last edited:
The decision of Tennessee and Kentucky to stay in the Union is huge. It will give the Union a chance to strike right down the middle of the Confederacy a la Shermans March to Sea. If the Confederacy doesnt push Lee back far into Tennessee, the giant railroad hub of Atlanta will be in Union hands before the year is out, and TTL's Civil War will not last the four years it did IOTL.

Tennessee and Kentucky remain, whilst Missouri seceeds. Yet Davis still believes they are his by right. That was certainly an audacious letter/proclamation he made to Fremont. Ridiculous really, i do not actually see how any President of the US would even agree to that? Being baited or otherwise.
Anyway, with the way the Confederacy is structured, the Union could possibly occupy/conqueror both Alabama and Mississippi and split the confederacy in two. That is unless Tennessee and Kentucky become a strategic bulwark for a while.

Surprised about Texas and Robert E Lee. ,

Status
Not open for further replies.