Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

Glen

Interesting that, even if without necessarily meaning to, Spain is in a position to expand its empire this late in the day. Makes for a different twist to events.

Steve

Yep, it is some unexpected effects of the butterflies. The changes in how France and Spain develop in Europe are starting to impact their ability and strategy for projecting power in the far east. Spain is actually in a position ITTL to continue playing in the big leagues - note that this particular event is actually not that far from what happened OTL as the French took over Vietnam with the aid of Spanish and Filipino forces from the Phillipines IOTL. ITTL, the Spanish do it solo.

And here will be World Map attempt number 3.

Sorry to hear about Annam... I was really hoping to see the USC look to adding/conquering Annam as potential future states ;) Still, glad to see you still have a few suprises in store... a resurgint Spanish Empire post 1860... talk about cliche busting!

DominionofSouthernAmerica.png

Glen

And here will be World Map attempt number 3.

Sorry to hear about Annam... I was really hoping to see the USC look to adding/conquering Annam as potential future states ;)

Well, you never know what the future holds...

Still, glad to see you still have a few suprises in store... a resurgint Spanish Empire post 1860... talk about cliche busting!

Just following the flow...;)

Glen

Note that we have broken into the top 20 most viewed threads in Finished Timelines and Scenarios, currently about number 18 in terms of timelines.

Glen

Chuen China found itself in a precarious position. Russians on their northern and eastern border were making greater and greater inroads into the far east, and one of the Chuen's Dynasty's greatest fears were a Russian backed Qing restoration. To their south, American, British, and French foreigners were welcomed to the radically westernizing United States of China, land Chuen China considered rightly part of the Middle Kingdom. The fear of missionaries bringing strange and radicalizing religions was counterbalanced with the fear of Western invasion should Chuen China take steps to stem such activities, with the greatest object lesson being the fall of greater Annam to the Spanish.

While Chuen China wished to restore tradition, they equally wanted to reform the bureacracy, and knew, whether desired or not, that they needed to modernize the military. But how to gain access to Western training and equipment without inviting their own downfall? The Chuen answer was to make alliance with a nation that had a modern army but no particular interests in the far east at the time, one that had not shown a strong support of missionaries in the past. And so began the influx of Prussian and Polish officers and the goods of Prussia-Poland into Chuen China.
Waldersee.jpg

scholar

Banned
I was looking for a name that would represent a reformist yet traditional dynasty, and the 'Pure' Dynasty seemed to fit the bill. Why do you ask?
Because all Chinese Dynasties were based around previously formed dynasties from the warring states/spring and autumn period and before. Except for two, and both were foreign Dynasties, but both were also famous dynastic names. Chuen was not one of them, so it struck me as very odd. Its certainly not an impossible name for them to have, but it is unlikely. The Song, Qi, Zhou, Chu, Wei, Zhao, Yan, Shu, Ba, Han, etc. would be better choices. Qi would probably be your best bet for a name going that route, not because of what the word translates to, but due to historical precedent. :eek:

Of course, as I said, its not an impossible name so this is just a suggestion in case you wanted to change it.

Nice update on Chuen China. There is however one thing this tl needs...

A great war so that Britain can kick France out of New Zealand and Australia.:mad: