Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

With Japan balkanized if there is going to be an Asian giant in ITTL it will be China or possibly Korea (now that would be unusual...)

Interesting idea...

I did think that either Japan was going to balkanize or it would suffer the sort of warlordism that plagued China in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

That was one possibility.

To be honest being divided into two seperate states isn't the worst deal Japan could have got out of this. (The worst would have been becoming a sort of second India or a Russian India...:eek: )

Now that is true - always looking on the bright side, eh?;)

Glen

Ah ha! Knew I had something on Hokkaido, but I looked at the wrong decade and under the modern rather than the old name!!

These events and the more recent ones aren't completely contradictory, but it does need some tweaking - the big difference being opening to trade - will have to be retconned to be more limited opening, as the bigger push for free trade with Russia is what sets off the Japanese Civil War....quotes below now edited.

Some historians cite the establishment of a permanent Russian presence on Sakhalin by 1812 as the beginning of the end for Seclusion and the Shogunate in Japan. Though the power of the Shoguns would continue for decades to come, this failure of the 1808 declaration of Ezochi, Sakhalin, and the Kuriles as sovereign territory of Japan was seen by many intriguers as a sign of weakness. Moves by the Shogunate to strengthen its hold on Ezochi through direct rule may have backfired, because the displaced Matsumae clan became more responsive to Russian influence and is believed by many historians to be behind the smuggling that began in Ezochi at that time, though the only people caught at the activity were Ainu. Continual rebuffing of Russian overtures for trade contributed to Russian interest in smuggling as a way to gain Japanese goods. By 1840, serriptitious trade with the Russians and perceived weakness of the Shogunate combined to lead to the Ezochi Revolution. Fueled mostly by Russian weapons, the rebellion did well at first, but was doomed to failure eventually given the disproportionate numbers involved. However, a direct entreaty by the Matsumae to the Russian Empire was used as a diplomatic excuse to send a fleet to Edo. Under threat of the more advanced weapons of the Russian navy, the Shogun was forced to open Japan to some foreign (Russian) trade through Ezochi, and to acknowledge the autonomy of Ezochi with Russia as guarantor, though Ezochi officially still remained part of the Japanese nation. The days of the Shogonate at that point were clearly numbered.

AinuGroup.JPG

The Ainu People of Ezochi
Japan had struggled valiantly throughout the 19th century to ward off European intrusion into Japan. Their perceived greatest threat was that of the Russians occupying neighboring Sakhalin island. The first half of the 19th century saw several overtures by the Tsar for an opening of trade rebuffed, until the disaster of the Ezochi rebellion in 1840 had forced the Japanese into some limited trade with the Russians through Ezochi, though even after this the Russians continued on and off to place pressure on the Shogunate for more concessions.

It is unclear what were the combination of factors that made 1855 so different from all the other attempts. Perhaps it was Russia's recent lack of success in the Liberal War in Europe that made the Russians to more aggressively seek success in the far east, yet at the same time made some Japanese brazen enough to resist the Russians with force of arms. In any event, the small Russian fleet that entered Edo bay that fateful year did not take a simple no for an answer. Under threat of the ships' guns, the Shogunate's government was torn as to how to respond - enough so that it led to open conflict between the factions, with the daimyo winning the immediate control in Edo and bringing everything they had against the Russian 'Black Fleet' who had earlier fired shells towards Edo as a show of force, but now laid waste to huge swaths of waterfront and beyond with their guns. The Japanese were able to gain a temporary equality with the use of fireboats that they sent careening into the ships in the bay. The Russians retreated that day, but would be back later that year with more ships and more troops, using Sakhalin as a staging point to invade the Japanese islands. Unfortunately for Japan, the violence in Edo had ignited a full scale civil war in Japan itself.
ShimonosekiShooting.jpg

Last edited:

Glen

Reminder to self - stopped adding in flags at Delaware - Delaware flag and those thereafter need to be edited in.

Glen

Sooo...with regard to the Northern Japanese islands - Sakhalin and the Kuriles should be considered part of Russia since the early 1800s - Hokkaido under its older name of Ezochi should be under de jure control of Japan but de facto control of Russia since 1840. Then by 1860 Northern Honshu should be considered under Russian influence, whereas the rest of Southern Japan should be under British influence.

Glen, I just wanted to give you a heads up that I will be doing my first article for the Alternate History Weekly Update on this fine TL of yours!

With your permission of course :)

Glen

jefferson+bible.jpg

The Freedom Deist movement in the US, while not banning the standard bible entirely, chose to use the Jefferson & Priestly Bible, a collaboration by Thomas Jefferson and Josephy Priestly. The JPB was a chronologically organized, profoundly edited, version of the New Testament with all the 'supernatural accretions' removed from the text. The brainchild of Founding Father Jefferson, the book became a true collaboration between the two. Published in 1810, several years after the deaths of both men, it became an instant favorite of Freedom Deists.

Determinist Deists also were frequent users of the JPB, but more in conjuncture with the traditional Bible. The Determinist Deist denominations saw the work as a useful guide to the scriptures, and often used later editions that featured cross-referencing footnotes with the traditional bible.

While both branches of Deism flourished throughout the first half of the 19th century, they tended to grow apart over that time. The Great Deist Convocation of 1870 was the largest attempt to unify the Deist churches into a single denomination - it failed. The two main factions found themselves irreconcilable. The only lasting agreement to come out of the Convocation was the removal of Revelations from the biblical cannon of both factions, placing it with other apocryphal works (not that this mattered much for the Freedom Deists who relied much more heavily on the JPB than the actual traditional books of the Bible).

fbccolumbiasc-300x225.jpg

After the failure of the Great Deist Convocation, the Determinist Deists found themselves allying more with the liberal branches of mainstream Protestantism and Catholicism. The Freedom Deists began to look to other faith traditions for allies, such as Taoism and the newly formed Deist Buddhist Convention in the United States of China, which was starting to find adherents among the Chinese expatriot communities in California and Oregon.

I absolutely love what you have done with Deism in this timeline. Only good things can come from a branch of Christianity that focuses more on the ethical teachings of Jesus than on the supernatural junk that people OTL get hung up on.

Glen

I absolutely love what you have done with Deism in this timeline. Only good things can come from a branch of Christianity that focuses more on the ethical teachings of Jesus than on the supernatural junk that people OTL get hung up on.

Thank you! The different branches of Deism ITTL aren't perfect, but they do have some useful features for cultural development....

Glen

We are now the seventh most viewed thread in Before 1900 Discussion, and have broken 180,000 views. Thank you, dear readers!:cool:

Glen

It's updates like these religion ones that make me want to have my timelines go more indepth.

That's a great compliment! You know, you can always go back and 'fill in the holes' on your timelines to give them that depth, though I will say I have found it useful to keep an eye on multiple cultural developments as they can play surprising roles in what we consider 'big event' history (wars, annexations, revolutions, etc.).