Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

By 1870, the experiment with responsible government in the Dominion of Hispaniola was over. Years of mismanagement and malfeasance by squabbling factions in and out of power had left the government of one of the richest provinces in the British Western Hemisphere on the verge of bankruptcy. While the island's infrastructure itself had benefited from some of the spending binges of the Dominion's government, such as the Grand Opera House in Port Prince, the roads and irrigation projects, and the education initiatives of the 1860s, other wasteful spending such as the several Governor's mansions, had finally become enough for the populace of Hispaniola. Rather than support a major tax increase and yet another round of political chicanery, the people of Hispaniola petitioned London to return Hispaniola to the status of a British colony.

British Hispaniola.png

Glen

The death of Tsar Constantine shortly after the Liberal Wars brought his only child to the Russian throne as Tsar Alexander II. Alexander's reign was a relatively short one, unlike his father's. He too had had only one son, though he had had daughters who were married into the allied eastern powers of Prussia and Austria. His son, Nicholas, was even at a young age an explorer and adventurer, and was in fact on an extended expedition in Siberia when his father died in 1864. Months passed and Nicholas' party did not make contact with St. Petersberg, prompting rumors that the Tsarevich had died as well. A brief civil war flared, with the main factions rallying around the families of the aunts and sisters of Nicholas (despite the Paulinian ordinance establishing essentially semi-Salic inheritance). One of the strongest bids, ironically, came from Prussia, where William, the heir to the Prussian crown, was a nephew of the Tsarevich on his mother's side. The Poles took the chaos surrounding the clash of rival factions to reassert their separate identity from Russia, but this time declared the Prussian heir as the King of Poland. Things took a dramatic turn in the succession clashes when Nicholas' party, many months overdue, arrived with Nicholas alive and well. By this time, however, Nicholas had to fight to assert his rights. Seeking allies, Nicholas made the controversial overture to his nephew William, offering to recognize the Prussian Prince as the King of the troublesome Poles, in return for his support of Nicholas as rightful Tsar. While William's army was smaller than most of the Russian forces, the Prussians were highly disciplined and well armed, and their support proved decisive, crushing those who refused to relent between the anvil of Prussian held Poland and the hammer of the predominantly Cossack forces of the east rallied by Nicholas. By 1865, Nicholas was unchallenged Tsar of Russia, and with the death of his own father that year, William became dual monarch of Prussia and Poland.

Europe 1865.png

Could you please clarify on Prussia-Poland, Glen? From that map it appears not to include any of Brandenburg and the German territories. Is it simply in Personal Union with Brandenburg, with Poland almost treated as the new territorial borders of Royal Prussia, or did I miss the bit where the Prussians got garrotted?

I remember something about the Empire of Germany (read a lot of TLs, can't remember them all perfectly, sorry :() with Prussia not included, but I honestly thought Brandenburg wasn't part of that...

Interesting developments vis a vis Hispaniola, too. Did anyone else read it and think "well, that leaves it open to join the Dominion namesake of this TL"?

Glen

That is going to make for a tense situation in Prussia as it's probably majority Polish, or not far off. Has William basically given up on a purely German identity for the state? I can see a lot of Polish demands for equality, politically, religiously etc.

If Prussia does accept the Poles then that could also have influence on it's relations with Austria for the other Poles in Galicia.

Steve

PS - From my reading of the map I think Falastur is wrong and most if not all of Brandenburg is still in Prussia, although I think it looks like it has lost southern Silesia to Austria.

The other bit that seems significantly different, apart from Sweden having both Finland and Norway, is that the Ottoman empire is territorially more successful. Only the Greek core has independence, although it looks like the core Serbia and the principalities have some degree of local rule possibly?

PS - From my reading of the map I think Falastur is wrong and most if not all of Brandenburg is still in Prussia, although I think it looks like it has lost southern Silesia to Austria.

Looked at it again and I think you may actually be right, though I am fairly sure that at least some of the westernmost borders of Brandenburg have been cut off (maybe just regular territorial concessions though). Fair enough then, though I will say that it still looks a bit weird - not a bad thing, of course, I just always thought Brandenburg was slightly more "just-right-of-centre".

I wonder how the Brandenburgers will take now being an ethnic minority in a state which will surely come, either in the short- or the long-term, to be viewed as simply "Poland", especially considering that the Prussian Poles used to be to an extent looked down upon. Could it cause some considerable ethnic tension and violence?

Interesting.

If I understand correctly Prussia-Poland is just a personal union or a dual monarchy. There are still two separate countries within the "Empire". Posen, although Polish, is likely still in Prussia, while the Kingdom of Poland within the Prussian-Polish Empire is just what was Congress Poland?

This makes an interesting scenario where the Baltics might become Prusso-Poland's Balkans?

Interesting.

If I understand correctly Prussia-Poland is just a personal union or a dual monarchy. There are still two separate countries within the "Empire". Posen, although Polish, is likely still in Prussia, while the Kingdom of Poland within the Prussian-Polish Empire is just what was Congress Poland?

This makes an interesting scenario where the Baltics might become Prusso-Poland's Balkans?

Not with Russia on their doorstep - in fact, Russia actually owning the Baltic states - they won't. Prussia-Poland will have more pressing things to think about than trying to win suzerainty over the Baltics, such as for instance...well, surviving Russia.

Glen

Could be similar to that, but you need to remember that the territory ceded to Prussia in the Congress of Vienna wasn't quite to the same extent as in OTL. See the map below for the cession ITTL.

Well, the map attached to this previous response gives some ideas.

Glen

Could you please clarify on Prussia-Poland, Glen? From that map it appears not to include any of Brandenburg and the German territories.

Look more closely. Brandenburg is mostly still Prussian, but nothing to the west of Brandenburg.

Is it simply in Personal Union with Brandenburg, with Poland almost treated as the new territorial borders of Royal Prussia, or did I miss the bit where the Prussians got garrotted?

Prussians are still there and Brandenburg is part of it - it is the Polish with whom they have just formed a personal union - then again, the Poles were supposedly in a personal union with the Russians...

I remember something about the Empire of Germany (read a lot of TLs, can't remember them all perfectly, sorry :() with Prussia not included, but I honestly thought Brandenburg wasn't part of that...

Brandenburg was part of Prussia. And yes, there is an Empire of Germany without Prussia.

Interesting developments vis a vis Hispaniola, too. Did anyone else read it and think "well, that leaves it open to join the Dominion namesake of this TL"?

Well?

Glen

Glen

That is going to make for a tense situation in Prussia as it's probably majority Polish, or not far off.

Well, that is a possibility - but for the moment, the Poles are just glad to be out from under the Russian thumb.

Has William basically given up on a purely German identity for the state? I can see a lot of Polish demands for equality, politically, religiously etc.

William right now is interested in expanding his powerbase. He recognized that Prussia is in a perilous position on the border with the Western powers and that they had no depth. Poland gives him depth (albeit not as much as more or all of Russia would have). Prussia has never been purely German, so it is not exactly a stretch for him conceptually. However, for now Prussia and Poland are somewhat separate - the nuances of the relationship will develop over time. As for religion - a predominantly Catholic population has traded an Orthodox for a Protestant king - not exactly a big difference - though you are correct in that he now has to be more considering the ramifications of a sizeable portion of his subjects being of a different religion (something the Prussian monarch hasn't had to consider since the end of the Liberal War).

If Prussia does accept the Poles then that could also have influence on it's relations with Austria for the other Poles in Galicia.

Steve

Hmmmm.....

Yes, though they didn't lose southern Silesia to Austria.

The other bit that seems significantly different, apart from Sweden having both Finland and Norway, is that the Ottoman empire is territorially more successful. Only the Greek core has independence, although it looks like the core Serbia and the principalities have some degree of local rule possibly?

That is correct. The Ottomans stabilized quite a bit in the wake of the Hellene War of Independence. Those principalities on the marches are autonomous, however, which is much like OTL. Unlike OTL, Russia isn't their guarantor, and in fact part of the reason that the Ottomans haven't lost more on that front is that the Russians and Austrians can't agree on a strategy for influence, plus they have to keep an eye on the West, who might jump in on the Ottoman side should things go pear shape in the Balkans.

Glen

Looked at it again and I think you may actually be right, though I am fairly sure that at least some of the westernmost borders of Brandenburg have been cut off (maybe just regular territorial concessions though).

Yeah, more or less - there were some subtle differences in the Congress of Vienna, then some losses on the far west border in the Liberal War, but most of Brandenburg is still there.

Fair enough then, though I will say that it still looks a bit weird - not a bad thing, of course, I just always thought Brandenburg was slightly more "just-right-of-centre".

Ah, but the center has changed, after the Liberal War....

I wonder how the Brandenburgers will take now being an ethnic minority in a state which will surely come, either in the short- or the long-term, to be viewed as simply "Poland", especially considering that the Prussian Poles used to be to an extent looked down upon. Could it cause some considerable ethnic tension and violence?

All sorts of things are possible....

Glen

Interesting.

If I understand correctly Prussia-Poland is just a personal union or a dual monarchy. There are still two separate countries within the "Empire".

More or less correct - but again, recall that the same could have been said about Poland's relation with Russia, technically - though in reality it was treated quite different. Time will tell how this relationship will play in real life ITTL.

Posen, although Polish, is likely still in Prussia,

Correct.

while the Kingdom of Poland within the Prussian-Polish Empire is just what was Congress Poland?

Correct.

A definite possibility.

...well, there was something made previously of how Hispaniola had been granted its own Dominionship and thus refused to join the DSA. At the time, while I recall some reader disappointment, I think I recall an air in-TL of the Hispaniolans being a proud and independent group who kind of deserved their own independent status. Having now petitioned London to revoke their government, however, to me it seems like the logical implication is that, before the turn of the century, they will have been annexed to the DSA one way or other. This is of course good for the DSA and good for the readers, though it makes you wonder what could have been for the proud, independent Hispaniolans.

I guess ultimately the obvious Newfoundland/Canada analogy suggests that all too quickly they will integrate and everyone will be better for it, though.