Map Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
WWI in a world where Britain never made any concrete guarantees to Belgium (more like a general European War, actually). Despite that in OTL Belgium was a mere casus belli to go to war rather than the only reason, ITTL Britain remains neutral. However Germany and Britain have to go through numerous deals to keep Britain neutral during and after the war.

Germany thoroughly smashed Russia and France, and Austria-Hungary took care of Serbia and Montenegro. ITTL, Rumania and Bulgaria remain neutral and are awarded for it. However revolution in Russia still came and a Russian Republic was established rather than a communist empire. The Germans managed to defend a puppet Tsarist regime in *Muscovy, with St Petersburg as the capital, while with Austrian help they established a joint-protectorate over the Ukraine to keep it out of the new republic's hands. The Russian Republic, similarly to Nazi Germany, underwent a huge economic reform that was based on its military. It became a totalitarian and miltant regime very, very quickly.

Dealings with Britain made Germany exchange some colonies for others. Tanganyika and Sudwest Afrika were given to Britain, Katanga was also handed over and Britain was allowed pre-emption on any sale of Portuguese Angola or Mozambique. This came to be following the economic depression of the early 30s. Portugal was one of the hardest hit due to a small political crisis that almost became a civil war. Following the Russian "Republic's" lead, many in Portugal sought after a change in government to be stronger and cared about, as it was in the 14-1500s. The authoritarians lucked out and the republic was forced to sell Bissau and Mozambique to Germany and Britain respectively.

Canada, Australia, South Africa and New Zealand had slowly been drifting further and further away from Britain during and after the war. They wanted to explore other markets more openly, in particular Australia and New Zealand had been trading with the USA and Japan. Something akin to decolonisation occurred - in an act of 'defiance' of sorts, Canada purchased Greenland from a struggling Denmark using loans from the US. Australia directly annexed British New Guinea and later purchased German New Guinea from Germany. Seeing it as inevitable, Britain decided to at least profit from this decolonisation by selling Bechuanaland and Sudwest Afrika for a low price to S. Africa.

Politically, the situation in Italy is very interesting. They adopted a lower-level of authoritarianism than Russia, but became vastly interested in expansion. In exchange for not attacking Austria, Italy was given a portion of Algeria and Tunisia as a colony. They were merged into Libya. Italy also annexed their claims to parts of the Ogaden, which was against their treaties with Abyssinia, and caused an open war. The Italians won in a heartbeat and Abyssinia became a de facto protectorate of Italy.

The Ottoman Empire, for a long time seen as the Sick Man of Europe, had been in decline since the Balkan Wars and the Italo-Turkish War. During the depression, they failed to satisfy their Arab subjects which caused an open rebellion. The Arab Rebellion was supported by Britain, who succeeded in spreading their influence in the Middle East at Turkey's expense. Russia also saw this as an ideal opportunity and attacked Turkey, annexing parts of Turkish Armenia.

In China, a revolution similar to that of Russia occurred and a Republic was instated. However this republic was corrupt and still faced a vast opposition. Particularly the Chinese communists, enthralled with ideas of anti-colonialism and equality, had been a nuisance to the republic. However the republican government garnered its support by opening its markets to Europe and abolishing the sphere-of-influence system. This included Japan. They also took over the role of master in Mongolia. After the Russians abandoned Mongolia in the revolution, Chinese influence had steadily grown.

The map is set in the year 1940. I know my scenarios often have huge holes in them, but at least I try :eek:. I can attempt at answering any questions.

Map:

WWI differtn.png

Last edited:
It's neato :), but you said Angola was German and I don't know why the French would keep Northern Tchad since it's part of Central Africa.

No prob! Btw, that's a Rashidi Arabia, right? With a Saudi Nejd?

Yes! It originally was the other way around, but then I read wikipedia and now you have it right. I don't know a whole lot about the Saudi/Rashidi conflict, only that the Rashidi were supported by the Turks and the Sauds supported by the British. Nejd is the northern half, correct? So the Rashids would control the Hedjaz and Southern Arabia?

Yeah I know, I can't say it's the most creative looking map. Maybe if I throw in some Brazilian guerrilla war zones. Or something like a anarchistic territory without being incorporated into the AI state yet.

Where's to begin?

1) This map is outrgeously big, for the few...well the only information of this map : yellowish americas.

2)Even with showing guerillas zones or a [random not yet taken territory] it will just a yellowish america.

3)Why a yellow über-presidential AI would keep today's borders? They're supposed to be more rational than redrawing it in order to improve economical reconstruction? Especially without showing the internal borders of giant countries like Brazil.

4)Not even placenames, economical informations, just...yellow america (with a flag)
You could have added some informations as the most important cities, ecnomical informations (such as oleoducs, gazoducs, etc), singularitian chapters, opposition to AI (not just randomish stuff to make the map less...yellow, but things that make sense, and, interest.

I think that the saddest thing in this map is the fact you had to give many time to color it, without any blank pixel, even in the borders or rivers corners.
The same time could be used to make less big map, less geographical (physic) details and more interesting map.

Seriously, you can make a map about your AI-America, but i propose you to not use this map, and to drawn another one. It will better, in any ways.

Yes! It originally was the other way around, but then I read wikipedia and now you have it right. I don't know a whole lot about the Saudi/Rashidi conflict, only that the Rashidi were supported by the Turks and the Sauds supported by the British. Nejd is the northern half, correct? So the Rashids would control the Hedjaz and Southern Arabia?
Well Nejd is Central Arabia (basically desert), so it's partially split. But as long as the Saudis hold Riyadh (which they do) they would still call their realm Nejd I think. I'm not an expert on this though.

Well Nejd is Central Arabia (basically desert), so it's partially split. But as long as the Saudis hold Riyadh (which they do) they would still call their realm Nejd I think. I'm not an expert on this though.

They just barely hold Riyadh. The idea behind those borders was more of a 'this is where stalemate was reached'. I envisioned it being similar to a N. and S. Korea situation - a permanent armistice.

Edit: Oh, and to answer your question about N. Chad - the French didn't get a choice. Germany only annexed the useful areas, i.e. the rainforests. They ignored the hardly manageable desert and left to the French, who then incorporated it into French West Africa because it was useless as its own colony.

They just barely hold Riyadh. The idea behind those borders was more of a 'this is where stalemate was reached'. I envisioned it being similar to a N. and S. Korea situation - a permanent armistice.
Ah, well in that case the Saudis would control a rump Kingdom of Nejd though half of the Nejd region is actually Rashidi. I would expect the two states to be Nejd and Rashidi Arabia though.

Alright finished.

Notable powers include Lithuania, Hungary, Austria, the Ottoman Empire, the Scandinavian Union(Denmark-Norway), England, France, Burgundy, Castille, Aragon, and Tunis-Granada. Just some notable powers. Oh, the Byzantine Empire is quite interesting here, taking control of a large Trebizond, and then Georgia. Also the large Golden Horde like always, and oh, that green country in the Baltic is a semi-large Pskov state.

The light grey in Germany are various states of the HRE, while the mustard nation next to Austria is Bavaria.

4.6.png

This is about what it looked like, and I remind you, it was a map for 1914.
Well it's certainly intresting, if it were an AH map I'd love to here the backstory for it....

Sometimes I wonder if it is not necessarily the author of the text, but is due to the publisher, licensing fees, printing costs, etc.
Or maybe it's just general idiocy on behalf of the artist and whoever checks the maps.

Last edited:
Behold! The new map, which I have affectionately dubbed 'Axis Ultima'.

Took me a while to do. Research mostly; Wikipedia in reality. This was rather fun to do. A little history:

In 1931, Churchill's accident with the taxi proves fatal. When the time comes, the House of Commons mistakenly elects a new Prime Minister to replace Chamberlain. This new PM, though loud and aggressive, would prove to have a weak stomach for prolonged war. He would handle it very poorly and the morale of the British people would decline dramatically. A fascist movement supported by the European fascists frees Oswald Mosley and go on to launch a coup against the British government. The promise is of peace and an end to war; one which has proven to be costly and bloody thanks to the extreme isolationism of the USA not contributing aid to Britain. Giuseppe Zangara had succesfully assassinated Franklin Delano Roosevelt and the following several POTUS mishandle the Great Depression, leading the country to sink into further decline.

The Japanese invaded Hawaii after a massive attack completely destroyed the already cut-back Pacific Fleet of the US. From occupied Hawaii, it launched raids all along the West Coast. Hitler's attention was focussed on the USSR first, using Britain and Italy to hold against American attempts to establish a foothold in the Eastern Hemisphere. Japan incites nationalistic sentiment in European colonies in Asia to the extent that the British collaborationists, despite being supported by the Nazis (who began to grow concerned about Japan's increasing empire), they were ousted. Soon, the entirety of East Asia is under Japanese domination, including the eastern half of Russia that fell to the Japanese. The USSR has been completely defeated and both the Japanese and Nazis kept on pushing until they reached the Yenisei River; the agreed dividing point of Russia.

When all competition in the Old World fell, including the remnant rebels of the British Empire, which was snapped up by Afrikaner revolutionaries, German colonial ambitions and Mussolini's goal to dominate Africa; the Axis turned their attention on the USA. Brazilian Integralists gain control of the country and form an alliance with fascist Argentina. They play nice with the Axis and proceed to allow Japanese invasion of the Americas to a point, while busying themselves defending and snapping up spheres of influence. As Japanese contingents occupy Central America and work to annihilating all American influence and support, the bulk of the Army occupies the Alaskan pan-handle and works its way down. The Axis Fleet, led by Germany, boosted by Britain, pounds the Eastern Seaboard from the Bahamas and Bermuda. After several weeks of softening and preparation, the Axis launch a full-out assault on the USA.

The United States have had years to correct the mistakes of their predecessors and do this very well, holding the Axis for quite some time. Then, Nazi Germany destroys Chicago with a new weapon, the Atomic Bomb. Thankfully for the Germans, Hitler decided to forbid the conscription of scientists for the frontlines and instead encouraged them to work on Wunderwaffen. This produced an atomic bomb several months before a planned, last-ditch American bomb would have been tested. The USA surrenders unconditionally to the World Axis.

It is now 1960, fifteen years after the end of the Second World War (often referred to in Germany as the War of Germanic Awakening or the Conquest War). Hitler is alive and kicking, but has retired to his hometown of Lindz since 1953; after the completion of the Berlin World Capital. Italy had grown strong since the Second World War, too strong for the Nazis to bully. They now hold the Middle East and North Africa as their domain, with most of the Mediterranean Coast of North Africa cleared of Muslims to make room for population with Italians and Greeks. Over the course of the years since the Italian occupation of Greece, propoganda and government feeling has changed to reflect on the Greeks as cultural equals of Italians. The establishment and consolidation of the Second Roman Empire can be attributed largely to greater Greek cooperation with Italy. The Italians have since broken away from Germany's sphere and conduct themselves how they see fit, content in controlling a vast amount of the world's oil supplies.

Germany itself has become the Greater Germanic Reich of the German Nation. It is currently under the command of Führer Hermann Göring. It has grown to incorporate all the Nordic countries, the Low Countries and much of France. Switzerland had been divided between it and Italy in the later parts of the 1940s. Sweden had voted to join the country out of surrender to its economic and industrial might. The population has sky-rocketed, due to potent encouragement for more Germans in the world to fill up the conquered territories in the east. The eradication of culture and languages is visible now more than it ever has, with Polish and the Scandinavian languages (bar Swedish) having been reduced to dead languages, replaced by German. The Slavic populations have either become slaves to their Aryan superiors or have been allocated to the vast reservation of Slaweland east of the Ural Mountains. The Reichskommissariats of North Turkestan and South Turkestan are home to many immigrating Turks from the Turkish Federation (Turkey having joined the Axis sometime in 1943, was gifted land). Englishmen and other Anglo-Saxons have been given the priviledge of settling lands in the east.

The Japanese have faired well, adhering to their plans for the Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere; integrating some territories into their Empire while establishing puppets controlled by them with others. Large nations, such as India and China, have been split up, encouraged to compete for Japanese favour. No-one wants these nations to get too large or too powerful. The Siberian Federated Republic has been turned into a DMZ, patrolled by Japanese soldiers to keep against Slavic Hordes who are beginning to rise and frighten both the Nazis and the Japanese. There exists a state of cold war between the Germanic Reich and the Japanese Imperial Sphere; the two outright petrified by the other turning on them. White Australians and New Zealanders evicted from their homelands by the Japanese (an atrocity often taken to extremes in Nazi propoganda) have been offered a place in the new Lebensraum. The entire Anglo-Saxon nations of Australia and New Zealand have been relocated to the State of New Oceania; a territory in the Reich converted into a city-covered area full of these English-speakers who are slowly gaining more de facto autonomy.

The Jews and Gypsies of the world have been all but eradicated. Göring had never been as potent an anti-Semite as Himmler or Hitler and recognised the loss of a valuable scapegoat that wasn't the Japanese. Besides, when a Japanese spy mission came ever so close to blowing the thing out in the open, Göring order no more shipments of Jews to the extermination camps and instead decided to use them to colonise Antarctica. Without Hitler's knowledge or blessing, indoor cities were built there and the Jews were moved (although the ones in the camps were hurriedly killed and the evidence destroyed). There the Jews live in relative autonomy, but in squalor. The cities are akin to prisons, with curfews set by the New SS (the old one was, as Göring saw it, far too power-hungry and loyal to Himmler; who died a strange accident almost as soon as Göring assumed power). Hitler lives in luxury, without a care in the world. He prefers to distance himself from the nuts-and-bolts of the Reich and politics, but does occasionally check in on Hermann. Instead, he prefers to spend time being paid visits and watching his children grow up.

North America has been divided between the Japanese and the Germans. The Japanese have created two nations; the Republic of California and the Cascadian Union which both are part of the Japanese-controlled Greater Indo-Pacific Co-Prosperity Sphere. The Nazis have the Confederate States of America (a hyper-racist thing with a slave population of blacks) and the United States of the Midwest. The British were gifted with territory from Pennsylvania to Maine; assisting in the occupation of the former USA. Mexico has been divided between the Axis, with the Japanese taking the west and the Nazis taking the Atlantic coast.

The South American Alliance is the last bastion of territory not dominated by the former Axis Power; having stolen nuclear secrets in time for the Nazis to not threaten their destruction. Germany has divided its subordinates into allies who have succumbed to extreme economic and political influence and outright puppets who are dominated by the Germanic Reich. The British are utilised by the Nazis to patrol the seas on behalf of the Reich, preserved as a world power to prevent its fall from benefiting other powers. The European fascists besides Italy are economically and diplomatically dependent on the Reich and so contribute to its sphere of influence. Italy is still the nation on the fence, its alignment is a concern to the Japanese and the Germans, who both try to woo it over to their own side; with Mussolini (very old, but still frightfully boisterous) happy to play with them.

Out of all the powers, it seems that the Second Roman Empire is the best to live in. Race is something shrugged over by Italians, who reflect Mussolini's attitudes to it. A general happy and laissez faire attitude has slipped in to everyday life, with Catholics and Muslims and the irreligious living in perfectly capable lives, fine with leaving each other alone. Most leaders of the world are dumbstruck by Benito's Italy, how it can achieve such nonchalant equilibrium among its people. Despite its police-state position and the totalitarianism of fascism in daily lives, the people remain relatively calm and happy about the state of things. Rumours have even circulated that Mussolini will allow elections to be held for the next party leader and Duce, who is supposed to remain in power for his lifetime.

Developments in society and technology have been quick, thanks to slave populations and no politics blocking the way. The Germans have a headway in aeronautics and biology; using their slave-peoples to experiment and use as labourers. The Japanese instead devote their time to the pursuit of robotics and automation. Italy also has such firms, but they like to develop the personal and home technologies to placate their peoples; Italian household products are popular in Germany. Nazi biologists have developed many cures using thousands of test-subjects and the Japanese have used the industry and minds of Asia to power their technology firms. Several megaprojects have been undertaken, including the suggested joint Italo-German Gibraltar Dam (although, this is disliked by the Italians, who are fearful of their sea-dependent industries and ports being utterly destroyed). Other projects are the German plan of developing space technologies to send men to Mars, and the planned Italian de-desertification of North Africa and the Middle East. The Japanese are doing something with their time, although people do not know what yet.

Fiction in the world is quietly controlled by the government, although alternate history that deviants from the "And then the Axis won" mould are suppressed. Some German examples are the popular science-fiction show, "When Winter Stays", which is supported by the regime for its demonisation of a barbaric Slavic regime that occupies the world and chronicles the adventures of an Aryan resistance group; another is the thriller "Hunt for 10 Tishrei", which is about a German nuclear submarine that has been stolen by Jewish terrorists and the Germanic Reich must race to thwart their plans.

Map

AxisWin1.PNG

Yeah I know, I can't say it's the most creative looking map. Maybe if I throw in some Brazilian guerrilla war zones. Or something like a anarchistic territory without being incorporated into the AI state yet.

No, really, that's quite alright. Just... let it go.

Disregarding the crudeness of this map, and ignoring most internal borders, is this a plausible 2080?

Hm - is China likely to be continuing with the "People's Republic" schtick 70 years on? And given that it's currently 94% Armenian Orthodox, Armenia going Muslim majority seems unlikely.

Bruce

fero

Banned
Disregarding the crudeness of this map, and ignoring most internal borders, is this a plausible 2080?

Nations:
Andean Community (AC)
Union of Hispanoamerica (UH)
Global Democratic Treaty Organization (GDTO) (note: Israel and Palestine are the Secular Republic of Palestine)
African Confederation of Independent States (ACIS)
Arab Union (AU)
Islamic Union (IU) (note: Armenia has become majority Muslim)
People's Republic of China (PRC)
Association of South, South-East, and East Asian Nations (ASSEEAN)
Eurasian Confederation (EC)

Alliances:
AC + UH + ACIS + AU
IU + PRC + EC
ASSEEAN + GDTO

View attachment 129356

full of acronyms and initialisms... trying to remeber.

If you are part of the UH (violet spanish caribe), can not you be part of the Democratic Org.? or the GDTO is not about be democratic and is just about be a USA puppet or something around?
Same question with the AC (red spanish south america), not Democratic?
Same question with ASESEAN (a better name), not Democratic but allied with?
Any reason to split South America in 3 and hiper expand ASEAN and NATO?

aniway Xwarq, I enjoy your work enough to question you and never talk about the others 600 maps in this thread.

ASB new continent! A Saxon colonized one too the Capital is "Heardriford" the big red star in the middle. The continent is located off the coast of Northern Africa.

Celts, Greeks, Romans, Goths have been here until the Saxons came and kicked them out, not the Celts of course haha.

Still trying to find a good way to display names of cities that don't get blend in with the terrian..also what's a good Saxon name you'll give this land?

exworldr.png

Status
Not open for further replies.