Flag Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are my two proposals for the Empire of Germany in Glen's "Dominion of Southern America"-TL.

Flag Collection.PNG

(Wow, the quality and diversity of this thread are quite high nowadays, without mismatched colours or pixelled stars - very good, everyone!)

I have a small request for my Crusader Kings game: I want a flag for the Kingdom of Lower Burgundy, or more correctly the kingdom of Arles - well, the Kingdom of Provence, in general terms.

I'm in 1005, and I've just conquered the Crown of Burgundy (that in CK the old kingdom of Arles) from the HRE, as the Duchy of Provence. I have all of its formal lands (Western Switzerland, Savoy, Dauphiné and obviously Provence), plus Toulouse and the Baleares as vassals. I have, as well, everything from Tunisia to Cyrenaica, in Africa (actually, I was proclaimed King of Africa before King of Burgundy, but I gave all my african provinces to vassals in order to keep my capital in Europe).

My problem is that the flag of Burgundy is clearly of Burgundian and Capet origin, while the flag of Provence is a mix of Barcelona's and Valois-Anjou's coats-of-arms. All of these rulers come after the House of Provence, wich is my regnant house (from the Bosonids). It would be totally anachronistic to use the coat-of-arms of families that never ruled over Provence or Arles ITTL.

Do you have any suggestions for it? I would prefer something more properly medieval, but any idea or reference to the Bosonid house would be great.
If it includes some quadrant referencing the Kingdom of Africa, it would be a bonus.

Here's a screenshot of my kingdom:

Where did you get the map for that? (hope the image didnt copy in this post, as I've gotten more flak about that than I can bear)

I actually designed the flag, and prefer it, with this yellow panel on the right. I posted the other because it looks more traditionally communist.
Wow, that's a great design! Do you mind if I use it for a flag-mod for Victoria 2?

Where did you get the map for that? (hope the image didnt copy in this post, as I've gotten more flak about that than I can bear)

I took a screenshot from my Crusader Kingdoms game and desaturated the lands that weren't mine.
(now my empire is a little bigger, by the way, with more than half of Iberia and Aquitaine as vassals, a little more of Swtizerland, Sardinia-Corsica and the duchy of Burgundy-proper. Oh, and Constantinople).

Anyway, I would like to bumb by request again:

Could someone design a flag for the Kingdom of Arles (the "Kingdom of Burgundy" of high middle ages), based in Provence and the Rhone Valley (from Montpelier to Lyon to Nice), ruled by a branch of the local Bosonids (the De Provence), instead of Catalans and Frenchmen?
Bonus points if it refers also to the Kingdom of Africa, an AH'esque catholic kingdom in Tunisia and Lybia, pretty much like the burgundy OTL claimed a Kingdom of Portugal out of moor lands of western Iberia, once they conquered it.

In my game, the duke of Provence became King of Africa before claiming the Kingdom of Arles (in the 1080s), even if he already had all the lands to form it. Only his son managed to claim his rightful crown from the Emperor, in the 1100s, and become the King of Arles( and Africa).

Wow, that's a great design! Do you mind if I use it for a flag-mod for Victoria 2?

Go ahead.

I have a bunch of different color combos I was playing with, along with just the logo portion, all saved in a folder.

If you want anything specific, just ask and I'll post it.

fero

Banned
2100, year when the new flag of the moon get official status, representing the ongoing and never ending progress in the terrafomation.

(yes I know, too futurist and too ASB)

The white moon we take, the blue moon we did, the green moon we gonna do.

(and there is none moon flag in wikipedia or commons)

moon flag 2.PNG

2100, year when the new flag of the moon get official status, representing the ongoing and never ending progress in the terrafomation.

That's pretty cool. But it'd look better if the blue was on the left, the green on the right, and white in the middle--maybe say that the old white barren moon is being surrounded/replaced by the green vegetation and blue water.

Wouldn't it make more sense for the blue to come after the green?

Wouldn't it make more sense for the blue to come after the green?

I really don't understand why you would think this.

And speaking of Moon flags:

[GENERAL: Profile // Website]
[FLAG PROPOSALS: New Zealand // Australia // United States // Miscellaneous]
[WEEKLY FLAG CHALLENGE: New Challenges & Previous Winners // Discussion & Entries]

*Image loads*

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHhhhh!

Bastard.

I made a moon flag once for an abandoned sci fi setting I was cooking up. It's way back in this thread, but here's a repost:

lunarrepublic.png

This particular flag is supposed to be somewhat insulting towards Earth as Lunar independence wasn't a particularly peaceful affair in the setting. It therefore shows the Moon looking down on Earth.

I think someone's pointed this out before: everyone's first impulse when designing outer-space flags is to make black the dominant color. But really that's the worst choice since you need a color that will stand out against the black sky.

That doesn't make these flags any less cool, mind. Just impractical.

I think someone's pointed this out before: everyone's first impulse when designing outer-space flags is to make black the dominant color. But really that's the worst choice since you need a color that will stand out against the black sky.

Those flags are never going to be flown in space though. Can't have a flag waving in a vacuum. They'll only be used in atmospheres, otherwise they'll be printed onto the hull of vehicles and stations and such, and then there will be other surfaces to contrast the black.

Plus at least in my case the other flags I made for the inhabited bodies of the solar system didn't use black, so I ran out of colours to make them distinct from each other. Someone had to use black, might as well be the Moon.

I can think of a couple of prominent flags already out there in the vacuum of the Moon. ;) I really do think that the importance of flags in our culture would mean the Moon habitants would want Armstrongian-type flags flying/hanging prominently over their cities. But I wasn't criticizing your individual flags specifically, more the general trend. I've been guilty of it myself, because black makes sense for a flag. Re the idea of needing black to stand out from the others - I don't think a single country today has black as its predominant color. New Zealand's thought about it, and Afghanistan used black once upon a time... Anyway, my point again is only that it's interesting how the obvious color to symbolize space colonies would actually cause problems if actually used.

I made a moon flag once for an abandoned sci fi setting I was cooking up. It's way back in this thread, but here's a repost:

Ooh, beautiful, and actually really looks like a flag that could be used, not by only moon, but by sort of international space lunar agency.

This particular flag is supposed to be somewhat insulting towards Earth as Lunar independence wasn't a particularly peaceful affair in the setting. It therefore shows the .

Personally I think this would look better upside down, which would also reinforce the "Moon looking down on Earth" and be hierarchal symbolic. Nice flag though. I like it.

Since Fero's nice flag (KSR's Mars Trilogy reference?), it seems everyone is posting moon flags. Transparent Blue's is as clean and well made as his always are, and I like both of TigerLion's designs.

I think Benkarnell's criticism is valid though. So I tried my hand at the problem.

The phases of the moon are both a nod to the fact that it is Earth's satellite, as well as being symbolic of all the "phases" of the Lunar people. The full moon is largest, being both the way the moon is seen from space, and a symbol of Lunar unity. The burnt orange color is taken from the color of the blue (or harvest) moon. It's rarity on other flags helps to make the Lunar flag unique, and to stand out visually in the vastness of space.

Lunar Flag.png

I don't think that detracts from the practicality as long as the symbols are in very contrasting colours. No-one has a problem with the flag of Somalia or the UN on Earth's blue sky, for example.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.