Remnants of Rome

I am wondering what type of people the Magyar ar at this stage
my knowlege about them in the pre-european period is little:D

I am wondering what type of people the Magyar ar at this stage
my knowlege about them in the pre-european period is little:D

Nomadic Finno-Ugric peoples. They would probably speak the same language as OTL, but aren't quite the same people yet, they haven't settled in with the Pannonians and Turkic scragglers they mixed with OTL.

On an unrelated note, all the Holy Roman Empire names look like something purebloods from Harry Potter would name their children.

Nomadic Finno-Ugric peoples. They would probably speak the same language as OTL, but aren't quite the same people yet, they haven't settled in with the Pannonians and Turkic scragglers they mixed with OTL.

and what kind of fysical traits tho they have?
(out of curiosety: more Turkic or european? like I have sed before: I know little to nithing about them.

but they have a shamanic religion, or are they already converted by the Taurigoths?

Xwarq, might I suggest for the Magyars to settle in OTL Poland, Brandenburg and Pommeria. It would be "interesting".

Also a great timeline, I especially like how SPQR is currently heading.

and what kind of fysical traits tho they have?
(out of curiosety: more Turkic or european? like I have sed before: I know little to nithing about them.

but they have a shamanic religion, or are they already converted by the Taurigoths?

Probably not very much like OTL modern Hungarians. Probably more like these people.

http://visualrian.com/storage/PreviewWM/0594/04/059404.jpg?1106846640

Xwarg, when you do your language update, you should also try to describe what the ethnicities look like. After all, this timeline seems very attractive to ethnogenesis interested people.

No, it doesn't. Ziben is capital as in capitalism, not as in capital city. The character you're looking for is jing (京).

More generally, this looks like an interesting timeline, and I'll have to read the whole thing someday.

Aw damn. It's too late to edit. I won't change it to Dongbeijing, but the name of the city is going to change (if the city even survives; we'll see) in the future anyway.

Aha! so "Dongbeiziben" is Shanghai!:p:)

A bit more north.

Xwarq, might I suggest for the Magyars to settle in OTL Poland, Brandenburg and Pommeria. It would be "interesting".

Also a great timeline, I especially like how SPQR is currently heading.

That's what I was planning.

Xwarg, when you do your language update, you should also try to describe what the ethnicities look like. After all, this timeline seems very attractive to ethnogenesis interested people.

Hey Flame, who's Xwarg? :p

Perhaps. As a quite basic summary, basically, it's like OTL at this time, except where there are Arabs, except Arabia, there are the native inhabitants, and the Slavs are (there are several contradicting sources) either darker, or a lot lighter and ruddier than OTL.

Imagine them looking kinda like this:

Saami Family Photo

This is pretty much correct. Though their faces would be simultaneously more Altaic and more European. And maybe they'd be a little darker.

inb4 sum1 calls me racist.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Xwarq:
That's what I was planning.

Excellent. That's what I wanted for the Kyrghiz, and while I'm totally cool with your decision to move them into Persia, I'm glad someone is filling in that area.

What's the level of technological development in the European states at this point? Compared to OTL and compared to each other, as well?

I can't wait to see what happens in India. Keep up the good work.

Who on Earth is Flame?
Who on Earth is Xwarg?

Excellent. That's what I wanted for the Kyrghiz, and while I'm totally cool with your decision to move them into Persia, I'm glad someone is filling in that area.

What's the level of technological development in the European states at this point? Compared to OTL and compared to each other, as well?

I can't wait to see what happens in India. Keep up the good work.

The SPQR is at or a bit beyond the level of the Eastern Romans at this time, and the Zoharists similarly with the Caliphate. The European states are... well, I can't place an equivalent year, but let's just say that TTL's Dark Mediatempene Period is much less 'Dark' than the Dark Ages. The rest of the world is mostly the same as OTL.

Who on Earth is Xwarg?

The SPQR is at or a bit beyond the level of the Eastern Romans at this time, and the Zoharists similarly with the Caliphate. The European states are... well, I can't place an equivalent year, but let's just say that TTL's Dark Mediatempene Period is much less 'Dark' than the Dark Ages. The rest of the world is mostly the same as OTL.

so we can expect a bodyguard like the Varangian guard???:D:p

No, it doesn't. Ziben is capital as in capitalism, not as in capital city. The character you're looking for is jing (京).

More generally, this looks like an interesting timeline, and I'll have to read the whole thing someday.

How about a retcon? 资本 comes from the character for resources/capital/wealth + the character for origin. So maybe there's some weird political justification for calling it thus: "The wealth of the nation flows from the right conduct of the Emperor" or something along those lines.

A MIRACLE OF INHERITANCE

The Toramanids continued to fall apart. The 40,000 Maakkors, 74,000 Kyrghiz troops, and 64,000 Salathelan troops pushed into the Rahbarate. Makuria, the Salathelan Roman Vahshilate, and the Kyrghiz Horde all wanted to grab as much land as possible from the Toramanid Rahbarate--especially Rudkhânestan [1] and Yehudastan [2], not only for their holiness, but for their agricultural worth, and Eskendarestan [3] also had fertile land which made it valuable. Jyrghal procured 100 elephants from the Kardarids and rode with his army which converged into a single massive force, newly-coronated Vahshil Salathelos II rode south towards the Holy Land while the rest of the Salathelan army rode northeast, and King Zakkar led his force of Maakkors north.

Grand General Commander of the Faithful, Rahbar of all Rahbars, Abd Zarin Toramana Arastu bar-Abd’zarin’toraman’arastu, Abd II for short, undertook what he called ‘drastic measures’ in November 602. About 200,000 troops were levied from the civilian populace with little-to-no training and poor weapons, and 70,000 Slakhalivas who were not yet finished with their training were commanded to go to war. This supplemented an existing army of about 110,000.

The hurriedness of these ‘drastic measures’ as well as their forcefulness made them detrimental rather than beneficial to the war effort. The peasants rebelled, in dozens of cities, against what was essentially suicide. And the 200,000 peasant troops, with their poor or absent training and low-quality weapons, were steamrolled in battle. Both of these things were made worse by the fact that the peasant troops joined the Kyrghiz armies and were provided with weapons, and the peasants in the cities rebelled in favor of the Salathelans or Makurians--and in the case of the latter, especially the Christians. Lastly, some of the Slakhalivas sent to battle were not only not-trained-enough, but a few were, reportedly [4], mere children.

By August 609, King Zakkar and his Maakkors had conquered Ptolemais, Hermopolis, Heliopolis, and even Alexandria and Cyrene, Vahshil Salathelos II had conquered Damascus and pushed all the way through Yehudastan to the holy city of Khodasahr as well as Petra and the coastal city of Elat, while the northeastern army managed to conquer Upper Rudkhânestan and Armenia, and Qayan Jyrghal and the Kyrghiz pushed west, conquering Persepolis, Susa, Ekbatana, Isfahan, Ctesiphon, Babylon, and Ctesiphon, and ended up with control of all of Persia and most of Rudkhânestan. The Abdahurid Malkadom entered the war in July 609 just before its conclusion, and managed to conquer to the Gulf of Elat as well as part of Rudkhânestan and some desert areas that the Salathelans, Makurians, and Kyrghiz simply didn’t want. In December 609, the Toramanid Rahbarate ceased to exist. Abd II was hanged.

Taurikegutland, despite significant expenses during the war of both money and manpower, was reinvigorated by their conquests and the subsequent regain of all the money and treasure that was lost to the initial Türükic invasions. However, the latter was soon mitigated. In February 602, Qayan of the Magyars, Zsoltán Jebács, sent an envoy of 25 men to Emperor Sengen’s palace. They demanded tribute in the form of land, money, or treasure. Having exhausted itself finally subjugating Türüks, Taurikegutland was in no shape to try to fend off these barbarians. After some bargaining, the Taurikegutans paid the Magyars with gold and silver bullion, the amount being about half of what they regained from the Khazartürüks.

The Magyars stayed for about a month, during which they were persuaded by the Jewish faith. 25 Magyars and 5 Taurikegutan rabbis departed from Taurikegutland in April 602. The Magyars continued west, and within a few years, they all converted to Judaism. About a month after Sengen II succeeded to the Imperial throne in 605, he (according to a writer at the time, Ogülenic Ungelsch) proclaimed to a crowd around his palace, “My father has been criticized due to how willing he was to pay off the ‘barbarian’ Magyars. It is not only nearly treasonous to disgrace His Imperial Highness (or Mine) so soon after his death, but foolish. Look it it this way, my countrymen: We now have brothers in the Faith, allies against heresy, friends in worship of Adonai. If anyone still believes that this was a bad idea, please reveal yourselves now, so that I may order you stoned.”

In 603, the states of India were locked together in a system of royal marriages. How locked together? All of the rulers of all of the states on the eastern coast of India had names ending in ‘-varman’, and all the rulers throughout India (except the Kardarids, for the Hindu and Zoharist royal families did not typically intermarry) were, at the least, cousins. In what is called one of the most unlikely coincidences in history, and a miracle of inheritance, the ruler of the Varman Empire [5], Kambudravarman, inherited Kalinga on September 5th, after the death of Sarathesuvarman... which occurred only two days after Saryathesuvarman inherited the thrones of Ganges and Kalabhras.

Nearly immediately, the War of Varman Succession [6] broke out. Licchavi, Rashtrakutas, and the remnant of the Gupta Empire, did not, to say the least, enjoy the fact that the entire eastern coast of India was now one empire. They formed the Triple Alliance, and the three states, which had previously hated each other, each formed massive armies, with plenty of elephants. In total the Triple Alliance possessed about 255,000 troops and 1,030 elephants. On the other hand, Kambudravarman inherited an army of 385,000 men and 985 elephants from all of its constituent states, though faced about 50,000 well-trained rebels and many more untrained rebels.

In 604, on November 25th, the Triple Alliance declared war on the Varman Empire. Kambudravarman ordered that each member of the Triple Alliance be attacked by two massive armies, and much the border defended by a series of forts, which ranged from hastily-built and made of mud, to multiannual projects made of stone, some of which were not even completed by the end of the war. These forts were defended by garrisons of about 5,000 men each, and the massive armies were 50,000 men each.

By December 611, The Varman Empire had made gains up the Ganges, down the Narmada, and into Central Rashtrakutas; the Triple Alliance had managed to gain some land down the Cauveri and Godavari, but only border regions. The Triple Alliance seemed as if it would definitely not leave the war without at least minor losses, but would definitely have a chance to survive.

King Marcianuso II of Langubardia had set upon himself a mission to spread what he called ‘authentic Roman culture’, meaning the culture and language shared by the lands of ‘core’ Alemannia and ‘core’ Langubardia, across all of Langubardia. Then he realized, or one of his advisors realized and told him, that--what better way would there be to spread Langubardian-Alemannian culture into the Germanic lands, than sending the Frysks, Sachsons, Niedrheins, and other Germanics to war with the Holy Roman Empire to die for Langubardia, then settling the remainder in Britannia and resettling their old lands with ‘real Romans’?

And that is exactly what King Marcianuso II did. In June 602, he began to assemble a massive army and a massive fleet of transport ausinnes [7]. In February 609, at least 120,000 troops and on at least 1,000 ausinnes landed at three locations along the Holy Roman coast: Isca Dumnium [8], Ventiathum [9], and Duverisa [10], about 40,000 troops at each. Langubardian troops, who were mostly Germanic, as Marcianuso had arranged, fought so barbarously that even their commanding Langubardian-Alemannian or Burgundian generals, most of which were quite prejudiced of Germanics, perceiving them as animal-like, were surprised.

The Langubardians crushed the Holy Roman troops at Isca Dumnium and Ventiathbur and advanced further inland, though the main Holy Roman army of 60,000 managed to hold the force invading Duverisa at a standstill, only surviving due to constant resupplies, which slowly diminished because of naval harassment by the Holy Romans. The Isca Dumnium and Ventiathbur invasion force pushed to Duverisa. In March 610, 68,000 Langubardian troops converged at Duverisa, attacking the flanks of the 60,000 Holy Roman troops who were attacking the 25,000 remaining Langubardian troops. The massive, previously-drawn-out battle was ended in Langubardian favor after just three days. These troops headed north, and another Langubardian invasion force of about 30,000 arrived at Iscasilura [11]. By late 611, most of the southern Holy Roman Empire had been conquered. The Britannic Pope and Holy Roman Emperor had both been killed in battle, and the siege of Ratre [12] was underway.

The Magyars and Taurikegutans would ravage Eastern Europe in the name of Adonai, the Triple Alliance would not at all expect what would happen to them next, and Langubardia would continue to ravage the Holy Roman Empire...

[1] Rudkhânestan is Persian for ‘the land of river’. It is also called Mesopotamia.
[2] Yehudastan is the eastern coast of the eastern Mediterranean, named so after Zohar Yehudah himself. The region is also called Judaea, Yisrael, the Levant, the Sharq, or Mashreq.
[3] Eskendarstan is far northern Egypt, especially the Nile Delta.
[4] Sources of the time do not quite distinguish whether how young exactly they were...or if they were even children at all; they all mention ‘young Slakhalivas’ or ‘early/childlike/naive Slakhalivas’ which may have merely meant that they had barely started their Slakhaliva training, though they may not have been children.
[5] Some historians insist on the use of the term ‘Kamarupa’ instead of ‘Varman Empire’, because multiple states were of the Varman royal family, for the pre-mass-inheritance state. Others state that, because the proliferation of the Varman family across India began in 550, and because only by 587 were all the eastern-coast states of India ruled by a Varman, the distinction is unnecessary.
[6] The War of Varman Succession is also called the Varman War, the Indian War of the Triple Alliance, the First War of All-India, or, rarely, the Hindu Civil War or the Varman/Kamarupan Ascension.
[7] Ausinnes were ships widely used by Western European states from the late 500s to the early 900s. Their name derives from the Latin word ‘asinus’, meaning donkey; these ships were small, yet hardy, durable, and could hold many men and much cargo. It was also thought by the users of ausinnes, that naming them after donkeys would make them appear weak to enemies, only for those enemies to be surprised by the versatility of ausinnes.
[8] The name Isca Dumnoniorum gradually evolved to Isca Dumnium, much like how the name of the state it was the capital of became Iscadumnia.
[9] Ventiathum was the capital of Ventiaddhen.
[10] Duverisa was originally called Dubris and is sometimes called Dover.
[11] Iscasilura was previously known as Isca Silurum or Isca Augusta.
[12] Ratre was previously known as Ratae.

Map coming right up. (deleted post before update to move this update to all the same page; Berserker is not talking to himself)

EDIT: The map has arrived.

remnants of rome26 - Copy.png

remnants of rome26 - Copy.png

Last edited: