Remnants of Rome

Isn't it high time for the Vikings to begin raiding Frisia? (IRRC, they did OTL in the 6th century, and the Franks had to repel them)

Also, wouldn't it be an interesting turn of events if an Indian nation invaded a Zoharist state (reversing the traditional order of things)?

I like the way things are headed, certainly a different world. Also, can we get a Scythian/Sarmatian revival? Is that possible, cause I think Sarmatians lived along the Danube for a long time.

Isn't it high time for the Vikings to begin raiding Frisia? (IRRC, they did OTL in the 6th century, and the Franks had to repel them)

Also, wouldn't it be an interesting turn of events if an Indian nation invaded a Zoharist state (reversing the traditional order of things)?

I like the way things are headed, certainly a different world. Also, can we get a Scythian/Sarmatian revival? Is that possible, cause I think Sarmatians lived along the Danube for a long time.

The Sarmatians and Scythians are both long gone by this point. Only the Sarmatians could've survived and that was probably in Britain where they probably assimilated into the local Romanised Britannian population

That was in the mid 9th century, the invasion being in the 840s and the repulsion several decades later.

Well Ahirstan is Zoharist, and Indian, and none of the other Indian states border the Toramanids.
I think what you meant, though, was a Hindu nation. If so, yes, that will happen soon. Zoharism will persist in Ahirstan (the region) forever, though... and, well, throughout the rest of India too.

Scythians are long gone. Sarmatians are now Alans, either those assimilated and Romanized and living in SPQR Mauretania, or small groups in the Caucasus or within the Taurigothic lands, but they are quite outnumbered by the Taurigoths and various Türüks.

The Sarmatians and Scythians are both long gone by this point. Only the Sarmatians could've survived and that was probably in Britain where they probably assimilated into the local Romanised Britannian population

What? Sarmatians in Britain?

That was in the mid 9th century, the invasion being in the 840s and the repulsion several decades later.

Well Ahirstan is Zoharist, and Indian, and none of the other Indian states border the Toramanids.
I think what you meant, though, was a Hindu nation. If so, yes, that will happen soon. Zoharism will persist in Ahirstan (the region) forever, though... and, well, throughout the rest of India too.

Scythians are long gone. Sarmatians are now Alans, either those assimilated and Romanized and living in SPQR Mauretania, or small groups in the Caucasus or within the Taurigothic lands, but they are quite outnumbered by the Taurigoths and various Türüks.

What? Sarmatians in Britain?

Prior to them being conquered by the Huns in OTL, a large number of them were sent to Roman Britain.

What do people want to know more about? The next update may just be partly a normal update and partly describing the situation during the years of peace, I just don't know what I ought to detail.

Last edited:

mrhistory

Donor
How about...

How about an update on social and economic development within the Western Empire? For example, perhaps some merchants in Carthage convince the Emperor to start creating fortified trading posts down the African coast. Then perhaps a ship or two blow off course and discover of the Canary Islands? Maybe these longer voyages in rougher seas lead to significant improvements in deep water ships and sailing rigging?

Just a thought.

yeah I think its about time we found out whats happening inside the Roman Empire, they've been awfully quite for a while now. And Italia for that matter.

Then there is the MNOP [et al] little kingdoms, been sitting there quietly developing for 100 years. how are these small Heirs to Rome doing.

indeed, the viking invasions begane by this time, but these where not the invasions of the 8th,9th and 10th century. (Hygelac and his Geats where the cause of this trouble, according to the Beowulf saga)

also, the Franks where (within my knowlege) not the ones to repel this invasion. they where strong, but there armys couldnt cope with the Lower countreys their inviroment (swamps, forrests and rivers). in fact, the Frisians (a culture very similair to the norse one, in fact: you could speak of a North-sea culture) where and ar the most likely candidate to repel viking invasions, because their fleet ar almost equel tot those of the vikings.

also, I dont believe dat Frisia will remain within the Allamanic kingdom: the Lower countreys ar far to unreachable without the posession of a proper fleet (in terms of better then the Frisian ones: even under frankish reign, renowned as pirates and traders).

Also, because of its landscape, the people how inhabbet the Flemmish, Dutch and Frisian coasts (as wel as the north and central mainlands) where very passionate of their rights and freedom, so aggressievly of passivly, whey would resist until extermination of immigration, or lack of warrios to fight.

I for one would love to see some action in northern Italy. I'm sure the successor states should be at the point of expanding their borders.

Valdemar II

Banned
What do people want to know more about? The next update may just be partly a normal update and partly describing the situation during the years of peace, I just don't know what I ought to detail.

I would find the linguistic and ethnic developments interesting.

The Roman Empire-Consulate of the Senate and the Roman People would be led by two Emperor-Consuls, also called the Flavitirani, elected by the senators, governors, and generals of the Empire-Consulate. The senators were elected by Roman citizens. Governors were elected by Roman citizens from that province, but the candidates were picked by Senators from that province. Legislative assemblies were held, there being two types: Committees were an assembly of any Roman citizens, and Councils were assemblies of certain classes of Roman citizens.
I think this is all you've said about the Flavitirani thus forth.

Update coming very soon.

Sa'id Mohammed, you said you wanted your cameo to be Lawful Evil, and that's what he'll be.

PAX

A period of peace in the Ocsidence [1], political at least, lasted from 569 to 581, the longest such period in the Early, or ‘Dark’, Mediatempene Period. This was a time of cultural development, peaceful political consolidation, and stabilization.

During this time of peace, the SPQR was blessed with the Three Excellent Flavitirani. Ironically, this occurred, at least initially, due to corruption. In the SPQR, two Flavitirani were supposed to serve a simultaneous one-year term. Tatianus Blandinus and Fabius Cyprianus, were elected in 570 and won due a combination of bribery and deceit. They were elected again and again, due to their excellence as leaders rather than due to bribery, until 576, when Flavius Fabius Cyprianus Tiranus died for unknown reasons. Flavius Tatianus Blandinus and colleague Drusius Fulvius were Flavitirani every year until the end of 580.

Flavius Tatianus Blandinus Tiranus and Flavius Fabius Cyprianus Tiranus made many reforms. The ‘Blandini’ and ‘Cypri’, as they were called, were several scores of new roads and new forts respectively, which were open to non-military use. At the same time, the old roads were also opened to non-military use, though if came a time of military emergency, civilians would have to leave the path clear for the troops. The cursus publicus [2] was also quite improved. Along the roads of the SPQR, roughly every 30 to 100 milipasi [3], existed a postal outpost with horses, mail, a small garrison (certainly less than a legion), and usually a rider. Riders, either on a single horse, or on a chariot carrying an extensive amount of mail, would travel station to station. Diplomats and transport-for-the-rich also followed the roads. After establishing many roads and forts and vastly improving the cursus publicus, the two Flavitirani commissioned the creation of highly accurate maps of trade routes and all roads, outposts, forts, and settlements, for the use of merchants, traders, generals, and others, with the help of some of the best Roman surveyors and cartographers.

The reign of Flavius Drusius Fulvius along with Flavius Tatianus Blandinus Tiranus, which occurred after the death of Fabius, continued the reforms. In addition, new reforms and constructions were made. The Drusian wall, which was not really a wall at all, just a series of forts, intended to halt a small invasion or severely forestall a large one, was installed in the Pyrenees. This sprawl of forts through the mountain passes supplemented a sizable amount of forts that were already there, most built by Maximus Tiranus himself. The Pyrenees were now Europe’s most defensible stronghold. The Drusian wall was not the only new reform or construction, however. In addition to the construction of yet another aqueduct for Tiranamaxima and two for Olissipo, four fortified outposts were established along the mainland African coast, and two on the Fortunatae Insulae [4], an archipelago that had been discovered by Greeks and Carthaginians, but left nearly untouched since then, at the recommendation of Drusius Fulvius’ close friend, the Latin-Punic merchant Aemilius Marinus. Natives were discovered on the islands, but they welcomed the settlements. Lastly, Drusius and Tatianus reorganized the provinces of the SPQR.

The Three Excellent Flavitirani spent much of the SPQR’s treasury, but these massive projects fueled Roman development and expansion for centuries to come.

Sa’id Mohammed, Grand General Commander of the Faithful, Vahshil of the Vahshilate named after himself, turned out to be a ruler who was simultaneously cruel, somewhat lawful, and somewhat merciful. He placed his sons, except Sa’id Mohammed II [5], who was to remain within the royal district of the capital city Adaleia [6], in command of some of the provinces of his Vahshilate. He had given them great power but warned them that, despite them being his sons, he would go to extreme measures if he discovered any misconduct. His son Fereydoun Navid ibn-Sa’id’Mohammed was caught embezzling tax funds, and as a result, Sa’id Mohammed ordered him be hanged. However, Sa’id Mohammed also showed mercy--after a fair deal of oppression first. The Christians of his lands, when they were ruled by the Shapurids, were treated well, with the only restrictions they really faced were the non-Zoharist tax, and, if they were criminals, they risked having their children captured and raised as Slakhalivas--but only if they were criminals. The Shapurids also supported the Pater and the Nomitrope Church--financially, even. When Sa’id Mohammed was granted the Anatolian lands the Toramanids captured from the Shapurids, he doubled the non-Zoharist tax, and made it common, and legal, for Christian children to be randomly captured and raised as Slakhalivas. In 578, at the sincere begging of almost the entire Christian population of Adaleia, he relented--though it may have simply been because there were, by then, 65,000 Slakhalivas in the army or training--and he stopped the Slakhaliva system entirely and decreased the non-Zoharist tax to 2 kespā [7] per year.

In the north Italian states, a new culture evolved. An early dominal [8] society developed, beginning during the Roman days, but most historians say that 573, the year that the usurper-King of Etruria established the Council of Duçues, a council composed of Etruria’s most powerful Duçues, who would elect the next King, was the true beginning of northern Italia’s dominal era. The King was lord of the Duçues, the Duçues were lords of the Comits [9], and the Comits were lords of the Tuctores [10]. Slaves slowly fell out of use. Replacing them were the clones [11], farmers who were, by law, bound to their Tuctory, or perhaps an even smaller area of land, designated by their Tuctor. In 576, the King of Ravenia proposed the creation of a Hermund [12] Roman League. This idea was quite liked by the kings of the other north Italian states, except Alpicia, but when the King of Ravenia died in November 577, the idea was discarded.

The period of peace ended in 581. Afterward, the face of Europe would change entirely...and, in the East, the Xiongs would draw their final breath.

[1] The Ocsidence is the western portion of the Old World; essentially, it is everything west of Persia and east of the New World. Often, however, Africa south of the Sahara is excluded.
[2] The cursus publicus, meaning ‘public course’ or ‘public road’, was the Roman postal and transportation system.
[3] A milipasus (from the older Latin term ‘mille passuum’) is a thousand paces, or 1481 meters (1620 yards).
[4] The Fortunatae Insulae are the Canarias Islands.
[5] The real/full name of Sa’id Mohammed II was Salah’Adel ibn-Sa'id’Mohammed; however because he was heir apparent, he is called Sa’id Mohammed II.
[6] Adaleia is Attaleia/Antalya.
[7] A kespā was the currency of many Zoharist states. It derives from the Aramaic word for ‘money’.
[8] Dominal derives from Latin ‘dominus’ meaning ‘lord’ or ‘master’. Dominal society was based on one’s vassalage to their lord.
[9] A Comit, from Latin ‘comes’ and its many conjugations which begin with ‘comit-’, was just under a Duçue in a dominal society.
[10] A Tuctor, from Latin ‘ductor’ was just under a Comit in a dominal society.
[11] From Latin ‘colonus’ and the plural form ‘coloni’, a ‘clone’ was a farmer tied to the land.
[12] All the north Italian states, not just Hermundia, were culturally, ethnically, and linguistically Hermund--a Latin derived group with sizable Germanic influences.

Last edited:
Mappitymap. Barely any changes.

remnants of rome22 - Copy.png

remnants of rome22 - Copy.png