Fantasy Map Feedback

As a project I am currently working on, I am designing a D&D like RPG whose design is based of the game 'Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends'. If you are unfamiliar to the game, which I highly recommend, it involves a steampunk civilization, which has more in common with Renaissance Italy than Victorian Britain, and a magic based Arab based civilization.

I am in the preliminaries of its design. I have drawn a rough map of the continent of Latminis, based of Europe. I'll add more detail into it when the base map is finalised.

Firstly, I want to ask you which version you prefer, Latminis 1:

Latminis.png

Or Latminis 2:

Yup, its just the inverse of it. But it also removes the immediate 'Hey, that's a funny looking Europe' reaction.

Secondly, how could I improve it? I will concede that Latminis isn't the most inspired of designs, but since it is based of Europe and the Middle East to such an extent, I don't see that as much of a problem.

If you are interested in any more details, you are welcome to ask.

Latminis 2.png

Huh... that's pretty good in my opinion. The inverse looks better and I like what you did to Britain, looks good. What was the inspiration?

I like it, number 2 is better for your purpose, but it is a bit disorienting because we know it is Europe.

I really don't know much about making maps, but if possible, I would invert it. Make the land water and the water land. You may need to make some more lakes in central and Eastern Europe, however, in order to avoid one massive ocean, but I think it would make it original. Nevertheless, it's fine as is.

Nietzsche

Banned
Not to rain on your parade, but this is a fantasy map I've cooked up for my story(Link, sig, read it damn it). I was also going for the 'Europe but different' idea..

Erecuraoriginal.png

Good maps. I've also drawn fantasy maps (about 50)

Anyways, the inverted-europe is looks cooler, but as someone said, it's wierd since we know it's europe (in a way)

But maybe that's not so bad? Maybe the feeling the map's gibing could be useful for the plot or something... ;)

The northern bit of the inverted Europe gave me a "huh, that's a funny looking Canada" feeling. :p

Otherwise, looks good.

Thande

Donor
Pretty good. Notably Turtledove used a map similar to your inverse one for his Empire of Videssos (below; notice the recognisable shapes of Anatolia and Crimea in particular).

videssos.jpg

Thanks for the praise guys. Now I'll just add some more rivers in what we know as Eastern Europe and I can then start working on the ethnic distributions of Latminis and Mesoposyria.

Huh... that's pretty good in my opinion. The inverse looks better and I like what you did to Britain, looks good. What was the inspiration?
Thank you. I decided to give the Gael's, or the Kells as Latmians refer to them as, a little island for them not not have to worry about the foreigners to the south. For more information on ispiration, look below.

I really don't know much about making maps, but if possible, I would invert it. Make the land water and the water land. You may need to make some more lakes in central and Eastern Europe, however, in order to avoid one massive ocean, but I think it would make it original. Nevertheless, it's fine as is.
That might be problematic. For the scenarios I have planned the European/African environs are essential. And I have a few planned I can tell you.

If you have played D&D and can understand what I am about to say, I am intending to modify the 4th edition to fit the setting. Whether that is bad or good is debatable, of course, but that is the only complete set I have so there ain't much I can do about that.

In terms on inspiration, it is based of the game Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends. It has three unique factions, of which only two are of real interest to me right now. Firstly are the Vinci, a steampunk civilization are based of Renaisance Italy. Their technology features clockwork just as much as steam. So you have Musketeers fighting along side huge clockwork men and Airships to defeat their opponents. They represent technology in fantasy, if you want to put it that way.

Secondly there are the Alin, a magic using civilization based on Arabia and Islam. Their magic is broken into three disciplines; fire, sand and glass. You have soldiers walking next to large glass golems, dragons and giant scorpions.

Anyway, I have some lines to draw. If there are any questions about the concept do ask away, it would help me fill gaps that I cannot see.

You know, Rekjavik, the Vinci in RoL actually started out as race for an RPG that never got published. How's that for irony?
I never knew that. I guess that is why they work very well in an RPG setting. Thanks for that one :).

Anyway, for those who are still slightly interested in the development of the map I have a newer version with nations on them, although it has yet to be labelled. Progress has been slow, I have had to do this in combination with writing a Tale for Jared and learning how to drive, but the little time I spent on the map eventually accumulated into a semi-finished product.

Again, all feedback and comments are welcome. In fact, they are mandatory. I don't want my little pet project to wither away like the vast majority of Zombie Mods. Likewise, if you want anything explained just ask.

Latminis 2.png

I never knew that. I guess that is why they work very well in an RPG setting. Thanks for that one :).

Anyway, for those who are still slightly interested in the development of the map I have a newer version with nations on them, although it has yet to be labelled. Progress has been slow, I have had to do this in combination with writing a Tale for Jared and learning how to drive, but the little time I spent on the map eventually accumulated into a semi-finished product.

Again, all feedback and comments are welcome. In fact, they are mandatory. I don't want my little pet project to wither away like the vast majority of Zombie Mods. Likewise, if you want anything explained just ask.

Probably one of the better fantasy maps I've seen:)
It feels logical. Much more so than most other maps (including many from myself XD) where the world reaaaaally shouts "hey I can't be real!" at you

I think inverted Turkey (Yektur?) is a bit too recognisable, its coasts to the Kcalb Sea and the Naenarretidem Sea do give it away.

I think inverted Turkey (Yektur?) is a bit too recognisable, its coasts to the Kcalb Sea and the Naenarretidem Sea do give it away.
Yeah, the Anatol peninsula could do with a bit more refining. I'll get to work.

Also, I like the sound of Yekrut so much I'm going to use it as the native name for the Anatol peninsula. Congratulations, you have made a major contribution!

1) What nation is that tan color, or is that just unclaimed land?
That is the Goktu Khanate, a large state in based of the Central Asian Khanate's. They are more conserned with events in their own state and their neighbours in the south and care little for events occuring in a far off continent in the East. Still, I might set a campaign their eventually.

2) Which rivers are traversable? Is that Black Sea type area accessible from the ocean?
That was one of my main problems. The rivers connecting the *Aegean and *Black sea's and the river connecting the *Red Sea and the *Eastern Mediterranean are canals, but I'm not sure how to represent that. Any suggestions?

But yes, the *Black Sea is connected to the Ocean, through that one great river that has since been modified by the Purple-country-whose-name-I-have-yet-to-think-of into a canal.

Last edited:
Here are my suggestions;

1) A small, connecting sea in the Anatolia-like region.

2) in the Egypt-like area, shift the river more towards the right. This way the region with canal(?) connecting the two seas is a very large desert. This desert is very hot and inhospitable, the only reason anyone wants the territory is because of the canal.

suggestions.png