Fantasy Map Feedback

@ Rekjavik
Upon seeing your utterly badass inverted Europe fantasy map, i had to do my own take of it.
Latminis2-Copy.png

The only thing I can think of is to make them straight lines.
One way I've seen it done are dashed blue and white lines.
I made them straight, so any straight river you see on the finished product are canals.

Here are my suggestions;

1) A small, connecting sea in the Anatolia-like region.

2) in the Egypt-like area, shift the river more towards the right. This way the region with canal(?) connecting the two seas is a very large desert. This desert is very hot and inhospitable, the only reason anyone wants the territory is because of the canal.
Duly noted and added.

@ Rekjavik
Upon seeing your utterly badass inverted Europe fantasy map, i had to do my own take of it.
It's nice to know that my, what I originally though of as a rather minimalistic, map is inspiring enough for a spin-off :).

Anyway, I'm off to label the map. I will return in a few days with the nations of Latminis and Mashriq labelled.

By the way, I'm a bit stuck on the unique classes for the Anatols and the Mesosyrians. What kind of soldier or profession was relatively unique to the Turks and Arabs?

Last edited:
@ Rekjavik
I'm joining the ranks of those that think your map is awesome :D

This is my attempt on using your map :cool:
I hope you like it

Notes:
If an area has the same colour as another area further away and they are connected by water (or by land, but are seperated by a black border or a river) they are the same nation/union.
If there is no direct conenction, (like the dark-grey at prussias location and the dark-grey-one in what would be north-africa) however, they are seperate nations ;)
LatminisDarkaiz-1.png

Thande

Donor
I'll join my entry to the pile of people using this map - I noted its similarity to Turtledove's Videssos, so voila.

Videssos 5.jpg

HeTCa.png

DIMENSION #1290

Before the accident of 2104 and the destruction of "Portal of the worlds", terrians used to colonize alternate dimensions, if they were no populated.
Every group can had his own territory, and the expension was, virtually, infinite.

But once the portal destroyed, every dimension was separated and the struggle for territory rerise.

The dimension #1290, was recently colonized, ans it"s inhabitants choose to live in few cities, with larges territories between them for industry and agricultural needs.

This is dimension #1290, 300 years after the "Schism of the Worlds", when wars become harsher.

Light Green : Celts Union - Confederation - Feodal Democracy
Red : International Workers Union - Confederation - Anarcho/Syndicalism
Light Purple : Victorian League - Kingdom - Autoritarian Democracy
Light Blue : Gaul Empire - Republic - Autoritarian Democracy
Light Yellow : Santissimo Estado de Hispania - Republic - Theocracy
United Free Cities - Confederation - Liberal Democracy
Dark Green - Carthag Republic - Federation - Ploutocracy
Purple - Roman Republic - Republic - Military Dictatorship
Orange - Mittleuropa Union - Confederation - Social Democracy
Grey - German Reich - Kingdom - Autoritharian Democracy
Blue - Oekumene - Federation - Liberal Democracy
Grey/Blue - Scandinavian Council (#1209) - Republic - Social Democracy
Dark Red - Union of Soviets Councils - Federation - Proletarian Dictatorship
Turquoise - Empire of Sion - Kingdom - Theocracy
Fluo Purple - Islamic Republic of New Persia - Republic - Temperated Theocracy

You can see the "Hittites Ruins", result of nuclear deposit accident in 126 ATS (After the Schism), enter in the city is forbidden, by state laws and coutumes.

Thande

Donor
Your map style really is much more awesome than anyone else's.

Thankee. And here's a little something: aside from compressing it to a JPEG in Paint.Net, that map was created entirely with programmes more than ten years old.

By the way, I'm a bit stuck on the unique classes for the Anatols and the Mesosyrians. What kind of soldier or profession was relatively unique to the Turks and Arabs?
Well, the Turks had the Jannisaries.Not sure about the Arabs, but I did learn that the Sassanids used women as auxiluries for a short time, so maybe you could spin that into something.

BTW, where are you putting the nonhumans?

Well, the Turks had the Jannisaries.Not sure about the Arabs, but I did learn that the Sassanids used women as auxiluries for a short time, so maybe you could spin that into something.
I'm sure I can squeeze the women auxiliaries in, one of the pillars of my design is to take advantage of other peoples historical ignorance, especially in the case of the Anatol Beyliks :D.

BTW, where are you putting the nonhumans?
Nonhumans do not play a major role in Latminis, I'm afraid. Sure there are strange ceartures in the world, but none of them have human-level intelligence. And most of these creatures are present in Mashriq. The Holy Empire, the big grey country, had previously launched a large scale exterminatin campaign against creatures that could pose a threat to its citizens. And, unfortunantly for you I'm assuming, that also means the majority of the fantastical creatures. Giants and Latmian Dragons still exist, but they are endangered species and are rarely sighted.

Sounds like you would prefer Mashiq, which has a much wider variety of mythical creatures. Sand rays, dragons and Glass Golems are present in the deserts. Sand rays are even used as a major mode of transport by the Mashriq, gliding over the sand.

But anyway, I am considering including some ruins from a long extinct Elf-based species that dot Latminis. I am for sure including a pagan/dwarven people living in what we know as Scandinavia, with these 'dwarves' based of their Nordic roots.

I'm not ruling out other sentient species, you just have to look further east for those :p.

By the by, now my main trouble is finding an aesthetically pleasing way to label the map. Can anyone give me a nice example of a professional way of labelling so many countries?

Last edited:
Here's a map with nations...how realistic is it?
mappoii.png
Note: the main mountain range is similar to the Himalayas in hight, the land to the east oh the mountains in poor, as is the western rregion as the mountains curve north off the map.

mappoii.png

By the by, now my main trouble is finding an aesthetically pleasing way to label the map. Can anyone give me a nice example of a professional way of labelling so many countries?
Here's a thought (also a few stylistic suggestions that work well with this labeling method).

If you do outline countries for colour, I'd suggest blurring 'em a little bit.

labelsuggest.png

Here's a thought (also a few stylistic suggestions that work well with this labeling method).

If you do outline countries for colour, I'd suggest blurring 'em a little bit.
May I ask you how you drew on those lines of longitude and latitude (or whatever they are)?

I just drew a whole bunch o' random lines across the map.
I guess I could have guessed that. Anyway, the font you used seems to fit the style very well. Which font did you use?

Now I require something more niche, someone who can speak Arabic. Is there anyone on this forum that could help me?

Garamond. It's perfect for just about any map from the 16th Century to the 18th.
Thank you, and I'll keep that tip in mind.

Anyway, here is the map, redone with euio's recomendations and added names and lines. I think it looks pretty good now, almost ready for release onto the Map Thread. I might alter the font size for the small states on the Anatol and Umbric peninsulas if it causes problems. Any other final suggestions?

Latminis3.png

Thande

Donor
Thank you, and I'll keep that tip in mind.

Anyway, here is the map, redone with euio's recomendations and added names and lines. I think it looks pretty good now, almost ready for release onto the Map Thread. I might alter the font size for the small states on the Anatol and Umbric peninsulas if it causes problems. Any other final suggestions?

Awesome style!