Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

VVD0D95

Banned
Question for you all, what if the Treaty of Greenwich of 1543, in which Mary, Queen of Scots was promised to marry Edward VI had stuck? Meaning it is accepted by the Scots Parliament and as such, there is no Rough Wooing etc. Mary goes to England when she's ten or maybe earlier and gets to know Ned?

Question for you all, what if the Treaty of Greenwich of 1543, in which Mary, Queen of Scots was promised to marry Edward VI had stuck? Meaning it is accepted by the Scots Parliament and as such, there is no Rough Wooing etc. Mary goes to England when she's ten or maybe earlier and gets to know Ned?
She'd be raised Protestant, which would change *everything*, especially if Edward lives long enough to sire a child on her, even if it's a posthumous one.

VVD0D95

Banned
She'd be raised Protestant, which would change *everything*, especially if Edward lives long enough to sire a child on her, even if it's a posthumous one.
Now this has caught my attention. Hmm, would Henry insist on her being given Protestant instruction in Scotland (per the terms of the treaty she wouldn't come to England until she was ten) or would it only be when she's in England that the Protestant instruction begins?

Now this has caught my attention. Hmm, would Henry insist on her being given Protestant instruction in Scotland (per the terms of the treaty she wouldn't come to England until she was ten) or would it only be when she's in England that the Protestant instruction begins?
The Scottish Parliament would want her raised Protestant if her son is anything to go by, never mind Henry!

It is possible to have an American Civil War where the Union doesn't just lose, it completely collapses and fractures? (Basically a "Worst-Case Scenario/Nightmare Scenario" for the United States of America)? (I don't think it's that feasible to have complete dissolution/secondary secession, but could it have happened?)

VVD0D95

Banned
The Scottish Parliament would want her raised Protestant if her son is anything to go by, never mind Henry!
That is very true, assuming of course that Arran remains a firm Protestant here without the flip-flopping he did otl. Though a top-down reformation in Scotland could be intriguing and maybe far less radical than what happened otl.

What factors led to Austria repelling its enemies in the War of the Austrian Succession and without which factors would Austria have been defeated?

If Katherine of Aragon had died at some point during the Great Matter (like, in 1528 or 1529) and Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn’s marriage is recognized as valid by the Catholic Church, who are the most likely candidates for marriage to Princess Mary say, around 1532-1533?

@FalconHonour @isabella @ordinarylittleme @Tudorfan @Kellan Sullivan
Quite possible actually: just have the 1528 sweat kill her off. Then, Anne is legitimate to everyone. Mary marries into either Scotland or France. Personally, I prefer France, because the idea of an Anglo-French union would be a fun TL as half of Europe would collectively start shitting bricks. Scotland, however, is likelier.

What if Britain came to Portugal's aid in the Spanish-Portuguese War (1776-77) in the event the American Revolution never happens or is defeated early?

Quite possible actually: just have the 1528 sweat kill her off. Then, Anne is legitimate to everyone. Mary marries into either Scotland or France. Personally, I prefer France, because the idea of an Anglo-French union would be a fun TL as half of Europe would collectively start shitting bricks. Scotland, however, is likelier.
First an Anne Boleyn who was wed to Henry in 1529 would be pretty likely to give him at least of couple of sons, second Henry VIII would take every precaution for preventing the succession of a French grandson. Still a Scottish match for Mary is likelier

First an Anne Boleyn who was wed to Henry in 1529 would be pretty likely to give him at least of couple of sons, second Henry VIII would take every precaution for preventing the succession of a French grandson. Still a Scottish match for Mary is likelier
I realize Scotland is likelier. I just said a marriage into France would be a fun idea (and well we both know Anne like her predecessor had terrible fertility, with several miscarriages)

what about Mary marrying Hans of Denmark, son of Christian II, favourite nephew of Karl V. It's likely that had he lived, he would've either wound up as governor of the Netherlands or king of Denmark (had his father's bid to have him elected in succession to Frederik I succeeded), but he's "unimportant" enough on the European landscape (similarly to the duque de Beja). Only, he's a king's heir.

I realize Scotland is likelier. I just said a marriage into France would be a fun idea (and well we both know Anne like her predecessor had terrible fertility, with several miscarriages)
This is probably be an unpopular opinion, but Anne's miscarriages were stress-related IMO. She had three miscarriages in one year- when the old wives' tale about miscarriages is that you need to wait at least as long as you were pregnant before trying again, to give the body chance to recover. - which means that she had, if that's true, six pregnancies. Same as Katherine.

KoA's lifestyle was also to blame. Her asceticism, fasting etc. The difference was that Kat's was self-inflicted, Anne's was external factors she couldn't control. There's no reason that, with no "stressors" (Henry having torn down the church and made himself a pariah to the world for setting aside his wife to marry his mistress), Anne wouldn't be able to birth (at least) one healthy male. Especially since, if one looks at Henry's (purported) bastards, in the 1520s, all he was doing was fathering sons (think Katherine Carey and Etheldreda Malte are the only girls)

what about Mary marrying Hans of Denmark, son of Christian II, favourite nephew of Karl V. It's likely that had he lived, he would've either wound up as governor of the Netherlands or king of Denmark (had his father's bid to have him elected in succession to Frederik I succeeded), but he's "unimportant" enough on the European landscape (similarly to the duque de Beja). Only, he's a king's heir.
This is an interesting idea, and really unique! I do always wonder how different things might have been if Hans had lived longer. And I wonder how a match between him and Mary would turn out.

This is probably be an unpopular opinion, but Anne's miscarriages were stress-related IMO. She had three miscarriages in one year- when the old wives' tale about miscarriages is that you need to wait at least as long as you were pregnant before trying again, to give the body chance to recover. - which means that she had, if that's true, six pregnancies. Same as Katherine.

KoA's lifestyle was also to blame. Her asceticism, fasting etc. The difference was that Kat's was self-inflicted, Anne's was external factors she couldn't control. There's no reason that, with no "stressors" (Henry having torn down the church and made himself a pariah to the world for setting aside his wife to marry his mistress), Anne wouldn't be able to birth (at least) one healthy male. Especially since, if one looks at Henry's (purported) bastards, in the 1520s, all he was doing was fathering sons (think Katherine Carey and Etheldreda Malte are the only girls)
I actually agree with you that its likely that Anne’s miscarriages were stress-related. Though I’m of the opinion that Katherine’s miscarriages weren’t entirely because of her lifestyle; I think it’s likely that it was a combination of stress and lifestyle choices, such as her continuous fasting. Never heard about Anne having three miscarriages in a year, though. I’ll have to look into that more.

Is it that a marriage into France is unlikely to happen at all? Or is it just that a Scottish match is likelier? Because I also kind of think that a French match would be fun.