Miscellaneous >1900 (Alternate) History Thread

Grey Wolf

Donor
Post-Munich Agreement, if Hitler died and Goring succeeded him, what would the result be? Would the Second World War still kick off? Would Goring try and get Danzig, or leave it? Could he successfully get it, and would expansion end?
Would the Poles go to war for Danzig? That's the rub of the oil lamp

Grey Wolf

Donor
If it's just Danzig, which is a Mandate and they already have Gdansk, I think they could given in. But not the whole Polish Corridor.
Yes, and IIRC they did offer a dedicated rail line across the Corridor to East Prussia? That's out of the depths of some memory, so forgive me if that is wrong. But you could see Goering going for this win.

Genkou

Banned
Yes, and IIRC they did offer a dedicated rail line across the Corridor to East Prussia? That's out of the depths of some memory, so forgive me if that is wrong. But you could see Goering going for this win.
In terms of the Nazi elite, I tend to place Goering among the moderates, whereas Hitler&Himmler as radical, and Speer or Rommel as light.

I'd expect him not to be a bloody as others and avoid high risks. I see his motivation as a warm meal in a castle, rather than bombed out cities for ideological crusades.

Last edited:
Spanish intelligence services picked up that Churchill and Roosevelt were going to meet in the North African coastal city of Casablanca in 1943, and they passed this information along to the German intelligence service. As a coastal city on the Atlantic coast of Africa, it was within range of a submarine-launched commando team. However, the German team mistranslated "Casablanca" not as the city, but as "Casa Blanca" or "House, White". Thinking the meeting would take place at the White House, they basically said "Well, what can we do about that?" and did nothing.

What if they correctly translated it as "Casablanca" and tried to do something about it?

If it launched and failed, probably not much difference in the war, so what would the effects be if the commando raid succeeded?
Garner was still VP in 1943, and Eden would take over for Churchill. how would they handle the war? How angry would the home front population be?

Spanish intelligence services picked up that Churchill and Roosevelt were going to meet in the North African coastal city of Casablanca in 1943, and they passed this information along to the German intelligence service. As a coastal city on the Atlantic coast of Africa, it was within range of a submarine-launched commando team. However, the German team mistranslated "Casablanca" not as the city, but as "Casa Blanca" or "House, White". Thinking the meeting would take place at the White House, they basically said "Well, what can we do about that?" and did nothing.

What if they correctly translated it as "Casablanca" and tried to do something about it?

If it launched and failed, probably not much difference in the war, so what would the effects be if the commando raid succeeded?
Garner was still VP in 1943, and Eden would take over for Churchill. how would they handle the war? How angry would the home front population be?

Garner was back in Texas, Wallace was veep. Chances are the the Nazis will either be apprehended before getting close enough or blunder into disaster.

IF they were successful, the Morgenthau plan may come into effect, Berlin may get nuked, and the notion of an independent, armed Germany is forbidden for decades.

Edit: possible pros may be Wallace getting elected with the sympathy vote and a less bloody decolonization.

Also, FDR is probably gonna be compared even more to Lincoln.

Last edited:
Garner was back in Texas, Wallace was veep. Chances are the the Nazis will either be apprehended before getting close enough or blunder into disaster.

IF they were successful, the Morgenthau plan may come into effect, Berlin may get nuked, and the notion of an independent, armed Germany is forbidden for decades.

Edit: possible pros may be Wallace getting elected with the sympathy vote and a less bloody decolonization.

Also, FDR is probably gonna be compared even more to Lincoln.
Berlin probably won't get nuked as Germany likely will fall on schedule (give or take a few weeks depending on butterflies, at most), months before nukes are first tested and produced.

Post-Munich Agreement, if Hitler died and Goring succeeded him, what would the result be? Would the Second World War still kick off? Would Goring try and get Danzig, or leave it? Could he successfully get it, and would expansion end?
Probably not.

Would the Poles go to war for Danzig? That's the rub of the oil lamp
I doubt that Goering, being the pleasure-lover that he is, would actually be willing to risk war over this issue like Hitler was. He'd probably settle for any compromise that the Poles can accept.

Grey Wolf

Donor

It would also decapitate the Free French unless de Gaulle and Giroud (sp?) get lucky.

What if Yulia Tymoshenko wins the Ukrainian Presidency in 2010? This would prevent the Maidan Revolution from occurring in Ukraine in 2014 since there would be no need for one. This would also prevent Russia's subsequent aggression in Ukraine, at least within the same timeframe as it occurred in real life. The Ukraine-EU Association Agreement gets signed, but what next? Does a pro-Russian candidate defeat Tymoshenko in 2015? If so, does he try reversing this agreement or does he view it as a fait accompli? And Ukraine's EU and NATO membership hopes would likely be permanently on ice, right?

Genkou

Banned
What was the legal status of the "Polish Home Army", can they be differentiated from partisans? would they be classed as terrorists?
Or more on the lines of a foreign volunteer service like the French Foreign Legion?

I was recently having a discussion with my brother about future moon and mars landing and the gateway space station. And I remembered a hypothetical space station that would act as a sort of orbital construction facitilty. Was wondering if anyone had any info on it?

I was recently having a discussion with my brother about future moon and mars landing and the gateway space station. And I remembered a hypothetical space station that would act as a sort of orbital construction facitilty. Was wondering if anyone had any info on it?
Do you mean a fictional proposal on AH.com or a real-life proposal?
If the latter, then there have been lots of suggestions over many, many years. One example is the multiple proposals made by Gerard O'Neill: see here (a proposed roadmap to permanent settlements in space) and here (abstracts of the Proceedings of the Second Princeton/AIAA/NASA Conference on Space Manufacturing in 1975). There are plenty of members on here who know a lot more about this sort of thing than me, though.

Is it possible for a real army to be as fanatical and effective as the Death Korps of Krieg (Warhammer 40,000) or is that an impossibility done solely by Warhammer being Warhammer? If so, just how threatening would it be?
A country whose culture was turned into an "army with a country/state" and become basically real world Death Korps?

Do you mean a fictional proposal on AH.com or a real-life proposal?
If the latter, then there have been lots of suggestions over many, many years. One example is the multiple proposals made by Gerard O'Neill: see here (a proposed roadmap to permanent settlements in space) and here (abstracts of the Proceedings of the Second Princeton/AIAA/NASA Conference on Space Manufacturing in 1975). There are plenty of members on here who know a lot more about this sort of thing than me, though.
No it was some real world concept. Not sure how realistic it was or who came up with the idea but it wasn’t an AH idea. Both were interesting reads for sure but I don’t they mentioned what I’m talking about sadly,

What would be the next (European) flashpoint in a "Halt in Belgrade" timeline? (Basically a timeline where that plan is implemented due to Kaiser Wilhelm II and the German government at that time being smarter and less bloodthirsty).
Alsace Lorraine conflict (due to French revanchism?)
Imploding Russia due to internal problems/Russian Revolution?
Someplace else?