What are the biggest mysteries of the Dark Ages?

This is what people generally call cultural interaction. For another "ruling minority impacts ruled majority culturally" example, many old Beijingers call lakes "seas", because the Manchus did. So when the "Central-South Sea" is mentioned, it's actually referring to a palace built near an artificial lake in central-south Beijing, which just so happens to be an important PRC center of government today
I was joking . They gave their name to the country but the country gave their names to them.

Intimately related to the discussion that has been taking place about the exact nature of the decline of Romano-British culture (and whether it was a situation that could have easily yielded someone resembling the legendary King Arthur) is the exact nature of the Anglo-Saxon migrations. After all, it is a little weird that Celtic language and culture largely disappeared in most of what is today England in a relatively short timespan, to the point that few words of Celtic origin can even be found in the English language today. This was an almost total transformation... so how was the process facilitated? For the longest time, many simply assumed that the Anglo-Saxons must have simply killed or driven away all of the natives in their wake, but modern genetic research seems to have rendered this explanation untenable: there is actually a strong degree of genetic continuity between British people who lived centuries before the Anglo-Saxon migrations and today. Compare this to, say, the earlier Indo-European invaders, who much more thoroughly wiped out the preexisting inhabitants of places like Britain. So... what gives?

(Tangentially related, but I do find it amusing that Arthur is still a folk hero in much of the English-speaking world today, despite the fact that he was a Romano-Celt who fought the Anglo-Saxons if he existed at all, whereas Hengist and Horsa, the legendary founders of the English nation, have largely been forgotten outside of academic and literary circles.)

I wish I was more well-versed in the subject of early Hungarian history, as my understanding many of the specifics of their migrations across the steppe and eventual conquest of their modern homeland are still rather controversial.

If only the Magyars, pagan Anglo-Saxons, and all of these other folks had simply kept better records...

So did the guy cherry-pick his data or falsify it? Do we have any alternatives to the work he did showing what he got wrong?
He misunderstood the data, perhaps even cherry-picking them. I have no reason to believe deliberate falsification. There is King's work on this, but from phone I can't recover the actual references.

Last edited:
Speaking of Hungary's early history, we're not really sure whether the common people of pre-Magyar Hungary were Slavs or Pannonian Romans.
Genetically speaking it's clearly mostly Slavs, or at the very least it's not different from Slovaks or Croats.

Last edited:
I never heard of that and seriously is something who can not stand. The similar theories on the early Antiquity (whose dating would be messed by a wrong reconstruction of the Egyptian chronology, to which was anchored everything else) are instead much more convincing, specially as they would resolve the mystery of the Dark Ages of Greece and other places (of which we have no trace of any kind)
Can you tell us more about this?

Can you tell us more about this?
Isn’t this something to do with the somewhat controversial writings of Immanuel Velikovsky that were fashionable in the 70s?

He was big on Egyptian chronology but also other things, such as Venus having several close encounters with Earth. He’s brilliantly mad, but mad nonetheless.

The material "evidence" for this hypothesis smells very similar to that of the Shakespeare authorship nonsense: a massive underestimation of premodern people's worldiness and intelligence.
This is why I hate the "aliens built the Pyramids/Machu Picchu/whatever" crap. It vastly underestimates how smart and resourceful early humans were.

Isn’t this something to do with the somewhat controversial writings of Immanuel Velikovsky that were fashionable in the 70s?

He was big on Egyptian chronology but also other things, such as Venus having several close encounters with Earth. He’s brilliantly mad, but mad nonetheless.
Velikovsky was not the only one to put in doubt the official chronology and whatever you think about his theories about planets , the ones about chronology had surely some points…

I was talking mostly of David Rohl, Peter James and the movement in general than Velikovsky who is only one of the many who had found inconsistencies in the ancient chronology

Velikovsky was not the only one to put in doubt the official chronology and whatever you think about his theories about planets , the ones about chronology had surely some points…

I was talking mostly of David Rohl, Peter James and the movement in general than Velikovsky who is only one of the many who had found inconsistencies in the ancient chronology
There is no such a thing as an 'official' chronology. There is, at best, a painstakingly reached consensus about when things happened, based of what a series of sources and other data allow to say.

Yeah we really don't know much, mostly because we have exactly two written sources.

Bede's works, written roughly 700ish, are nice, but limited. He was mostly interested in church history so that's what he focused on. Plus, he (like all historians) is only as good as his sources, most of which are lost to us. Then you have Gildas, whose polemic from circa 500 is basically the 6th Century version of a guy on a message board ranting about immigration and decadence while everyone else slowly backs away and closes the tab.

The analogy I'm stealing from Patrick Wyman is this:. Imagine if for all of American history from the founding of Jamestown to the War of 1812 we have two documents - a church history a guy wrote in 2015 and a screed another guy wrote in 1700. That's it.

Not to mention the climate of Britain isn't exactly good at preserving wood, paper, parchment, and cloth.

Hence why if I had the money I would have a bunch of statues and plaques made from very long lasting materials buried in various locations across the world. They would feature me and wildly innacurate information. Something like "Father Maryland First Emperor of Mankind, protector of Mars, Guardian of Venus, etc.". Basically it would all be to fuck with future historians and archaeologists.

Hence why if I had the money I would have a bunch of statues and plaques made from very long lasting materials buried in various locations across the world. They would feature me and wildly innacurate information. Something like "Father Maryland First Emperor of Mankind, protector of Mars, Guardian of Venus, etc.". Basically it would all be to fuck with future historians and archaeologists.
Gonna be so cool when, thousands of years from now, archaeologists of the post-apocalyptic civilization are scratching their heads trying to figure out how pyramids popped up in the disparate lands of Egypt, Central America... and Memphis, Tennessee.

FCE34211-8B9E-4472-AA5D-F9CF9F9F9A54.jpeg

Romanization, to my understanding, doesn't mean that you are turning into Romans... More like contact with Roman culture had an influence on the Franks and other Germanic people. Which is a case we have definite proof with the Franks as there are clear influences in our archeological finds. Childeric I's tomb for example showed him wearing both the insignas of a Frankish warrior but also of a Roman general... Which is a clear sign of both cultures coming into contact and mixing a bit to create something new because of the various influences at play.
You are using an incredibly blatant double standard, just compare the way you use the word "romanization" to "germanization":
The Germanization of lands... is something people will have to explain to me. The Franks and the other germanic barbarians didn't have the numbers to fully annihilate the existing romanized population of the area they conquered... Nor did they ever tried to. In fact, a lot of the lands they occupied were originally given to them by the Romans thanks to their status of Feodorati. Now it's true that this lead to an influx of Germanic people into roman lands, but if anything they mixed in with the local populace and cohabited with it.
Apparently romanization merely requires some cultural influence or even just technological infusion but germanization requires annihilation. Why?
I don't really see what's the problem with mentionning the Franks stayed pagan until the late 5th Century... The Romans themselves were oginally pagan and while Christianization of the Empire was underway, you have to remember we are only a century after Constantine I's Edict of Milan that made Christiannity legal in the Empire and even less than Theodosius' edict banning Paganism... Not to mention the fact that most Germanic tribes adopted Arian Christianity, something which was definitely not the Nicene Creed followed by the Romans. In fact, one of the things that actually made Clovis a pretty strong ruler was the fact he adopte the Nicene creed when he converted instead of going for Arianism like his other Germanic rivals.
The point is that the Franks weren't particularly Romanized in the 5th century CE let alone the 4th one compared to Goths, which adopted Christianity 2-3 generations prior.
The idea that the Franks spoke a Germanic languages centuries after is forgetting that the Frankish tongue is also an ancestor to French, a definitely Romance language... The Franks that stayed East of the Rhine definitely kept speaking Germanic tongues, but the ones living in Gaul proper came into contact with Latin-speaking population, which in turn had an influence on them and led to them adopting a Romance language that would eventually evolve into French.
No, I've seen suggested that the nobility remained bilingual up to the 9th century in Neustria.
Franks sticking to using Frankish names isn't really a proof they didn't romanize... None of the germanic tribes that are considered to have Romanized adopted Roman names: they stuck with their own.
Which indicates that they consciously kept a separate identity despite being a minority surrouded by Roman provincials.
The separation of Roman law from Germanic customs is something you find in all the "barbarian" kingdoms that succeeded the Roman Empires, be they Wisigoths, Ostrogoths, Burgundians or Franks. That is definitely a proof of a distinction being made between the two people, but it's not really an argument against the fact this is a sign of romanization... Quite the contrary in fact given that to accomplish this, it also meant the Germanic tribes had to adopt Roman law in the first place. If they hadn't romanized, they'd have stuck to germanic customs only.
Romans don't have a copyright on writing laws.
Austria, Bavaria, Switzerland and the Rhine were border regions of the Roman Empire: they were always in close contact with German tribes and in fact were the first places to be ever settled by Germans moving into the Empire. So it's not really a surprise these regions Germanized... In fact it's likely they never properly romanized in the first place given they were border regions.
This is non-sense, the border regions were the places that show an incredible presence of soldiers from the rest of the empire, which would have made them target of actual linguistic and cultural romanization.
Most of the areas in the West occupied by the germanic tribes that took over the Western Roman Empire though? They were all speaking Romance languages... Not Germanic ones.
Why does this matter? We weren't talking about the Goths or Italy and Southern France.
Basically, this argumentation is basically trying to say that since the Franks and other germanic tribes didn't turn into Romans they never Romanized...
Using your own logic the Romans didn't actually romanize anything because they didn't "annihilate" the locals.
the Franks never became Romans, but they definitely adopted aspects of Roman culture.
There is no reason to believe they did so in any significant capacity before their conquest of Neustria, that's the point.

Last edited:
You are using an incredibly blatant double standard, just compare the way you use the word "romanization" to "germanization":
Apparently romanization merely requires some cultural influence or even just technological infusion but germanization requires annihilation. Why?
Poorly worded myself. I'll aim to correct that.

One of the factors that I feel should be considered to be at play would simply be numbers. The germans who invaded and settled (or were settled) in the Roman Empire originally formed a minority of the local population in those areas. Most of the population of the areas they went into were roman or at least heavily romanized. So to me it feels more likely that being around a more numerous romanized folk led to a movement of romanization rather than one of germanization. That's the main reason I insisted on cultural influence and technological infusion: because it feels more like the colonizers became more like the people they colonized than the other way around.

Doesn't mean of course that there aren't aspects of the original germanic culture that subsisted nor were also adopted by the non-germanic part of the population. But comparatively, I feel you're more encountering a case of romanized barbarians settling in and dominating than of a germanized local population.
The point is that the Franks weren't particularly Romanized in the 5th century CE let alone the 4th one compared to Goths, which adopted Christianity 2-3 generations prior.
We'll have to disagree on that. The Franks, particularly the Salians, had started being settled on the Roman borders by the Romans themselves since the late Third Century, and served as Roman auxiliaries for roughly as much time. This is bound to have had an influence and as far as I'm aware archeology corrolates that.

And again, Christiannity was a relatively new religion that originally didn't correlate to Romanization. In fact, while Christiannity was indeed on the ascent following its legalization and adoption by roman emperors, Paganism wasn't wiped out immediately: it persisted in a lot of areas of the Empire sometimes even after the fall of Rome.
No, I've seen suggested that the nobility remained bilingual up to the 9th century in Neustria.
I don't see how that contradicts the idea that they didn't romanize.

Being bilingual does mean they kept using their germanic language, but it also means they started to adopt the Romance language that was developping... Furthermore, the romance language became the only one being used past the IXth century... Meaning that it was flourishing while the original germanic tongue of the Franks was in decline.

For me it's also a proof of a certain romanization, given they literraly started using their oginal tongue less and less in favor of one heavily influenced by Latin.
Which indicates that they consciously kept a separate identity despite being a minority surrouded by Roman provincials.
Yes but keeping a separate identity doesn't mean you didn't romanize.

In fact, before Caracalla's edict in 212, the Romans themselves used to distinct between proper Roman citizens and non-Romans subjects of the Empire like the Gauls, Britons, Illyrians, Greek, etc... And all the historians I've read on the subject will tell you all these people had romanized to an extent long before Caracalla's edict made everyone a Roman citizen.

So to me the Franks (and other Germanic tribes) making a distinction between themselves and the Romans doesn't really prove much.
Romans don't have a copyright on writing laws.
No... But most of the germanic customs were originally oral traditions and they tended to be given written form only after they settled in former Roman lands.

And even then I don't see how that is contradictory to the idea that adopting Roman law isn't a proof of Romanization. They were after all adopting a whole corpus of laws that weren't their own in the first place. Why bother with that and not stick to only customary laws if you don't think it's relevant and convenient?
This is non-sense, the border regions were the places that show an incredible presence of soldiers from the rest of the empire, which would have made them target of actual linguistic and cultural romanization.
The Roman legion didn't number that much men. In fact, that ended up being one of the downfall of the Roman Empire: the troops were stretched too thin to defend the borders. And while the presence of troops could also have an influence, you could also argue that these are the fringes of the Empire, the more distant parts of it: it would take far more time for them to be properly romanized.

Furthermore, following the Third Century crisis and the troubles of the IVth in the West, Romans were relying more and more on Barbarian Feodorati to defend themselves. And as a result a lot of those Feodorati were settled in these border regions. That's actually the main reason you had the Franks settled around the area of modern-day Belgium, because that actually was one of the Northern borders of the Empire.

I'm pretty sure that if you study the border regions of the Western Empire, you'll find that a lot of them had been settled by barbarian tribes tasked with defensive work. Which in turn would mean an inlfux of german settlers in these regions... Regions that were themselves already in contact with germanic tribes for the simple reasons that's what you found on the other side of the border. If not on site should the are not have been properly romanized.
Why does this matter? We weren't talking about the Goths or Italy and Southern France.
Why exclude Northern France from all of this? That's the former part of the Roman Empire that was originally occupied by the Franks... and it definitely spoke a Romance language too.

More importantly it matters because all the germanic tribes, the Franks included, all spoke Germanic language. An argument that about how they would have germanized the land would be the switch in language use to germanic tongues in the areas they occupied: that's one of the points made about the Anglo-Saxon conquest of Britain for example. But in the case of most germanic tribes living in the former western empire, Franks included, the languages that ended up dominating are Romance language all descended from Latin. At best the germanic languages had an influence on how the romance language evolved, but it still remained romance, not a germanic tongue.
There is no reason to believe they did so in any significant capacity before their conquest of Neustria, that's the point.
Most of Neustria is part of what was known as the domain of Soisson that Clovis conquered after he defeated Syagrius.

Childeric I died before that happened and his tomb is in Tournai, a town that is part of Austrasia. And while I don't know much about archelogical finds, I'm pretty sure Childeric's tomb isn't the only one we have in the area that indicates a certain form of romanization.