Potential Victoria 3 Mods

I'll admit I've never really played Victoria 2 (I basically just missed the boat on it, despite liking many other Paradox games) but when Victoria 3 was announced I was rather excited, since I feel like I can now finally get into the Victoria experience.
We all know that Hoi4 has a million in-development alternate history mods, including some which have been hits like Kaiserreich and TNO, and CK2 and 3 both have tons of fantasy and alternate history mods too. Despite this, I've seen very little discussion of mod ideas for Victoria 3. Most of the mods I have seen be announced have been set in the present day, the future, or a fantasy world. While that's great, I do hope we'll see some mods based in alternative history, just as we saw for Victoria 2 with mods like Divergences. I basically just wanted to make a thread where people could propose ideas and suggest settings and scenarios that may lend themselves to a Victoria 3 mod.

A Napoleonic victory mod would be cool; France as the dominant power in mainland Europe, Great Britain ruling the waves, and the Maratha Confederacy keeping its hold on most of India while playing France and Great Britain against each other, as a potential great power of Asia not unlike the Qing Empire in Victoria 2. Another mod idea, would be to have the American and French revolutions fail altogether; absolute monarchy and feudal rule would be par for the course all over Europe.

A Napoleonic victory mod would be cool; France as the dominant power in mainland Europe, Great Britain ruling the waves, and the Maratha Confederacy keeping its hold on most of India while playing France and Great Britain against each other, as a potential great power of Asia not unlike the Qing Empire in Victoria 2. Another mod idea, would be to have the American and French revolutions fail altogether; absolute monarchy and feudal rule would be par for the course all over Europe.
I feel like a Napoleonic victory mod, if done right, could be the Kaiserreich of Victoria 3. They're both "what if the other guy won" for a war that happened just prior to the start date. Both have the potential for interesting aesthetics and fandom.

I feel like a Napoleonic victory mod, if done right, could be the Kaiserreich of Victoria 3. They're both "what if the other guy won" for a war that happened just prior to the start date. Both have the potential for interesting aesthetics and fandom.

France would be in a similar position to the Kaiserreich, actually: a powerful country with puppets all over the continent, but also an overextended country that has been on a slow decline ever since the death of Napoleon a decade prior to the start date of the game. Just like in Kaiserreich, there'd be exiled royals elsewhere in the world hoping to take back their countries (the Bourbons in New Spain and the Braganzas in Brazil, for example) and several syndicalist nationalist movements, inspired by the French Revolution, that could end up blowing up in Paris' face, such as the movements for Italian and German unification, the one for Portuguese re-unification, and the French Caribbean could end up being a powder keg, too.

I've always wanted to see either Disaster at Leuthen or The Federal Republic of America turned into a mod
I think there's a lot of potential mods to be made from forum TLs as well as published alternate history. The problem is that many of them diverge from reality well after the beginning of Victoria. That being said, a few of the ones that come to mind are:
What Madness Is This?
Decades of Darkness

In terms of published stuff, a number of obvious ones come to mind (any steampunk/gaslamp fantasy world really).
(Not to toot my own proverbial horn, but I think my idea for a confederate scenario from the Alternate New Orders: Last Days of X would make for an interesting mod. It's literally just "confederate TNO", so it's not a super creative idea or anything, but the idea of exploring the truly awful ramifications of a recently-victorious confederacy that actually achieved its goals but is doomed to collapse is one that I think could be interesting.)

France would be in a similar position to the Kaiserreich, actually: a powerful country with puppets all over the continent, but also an overextended country that has been on a slow decline ever since the death of Napoleon a decade prior to the start date of the game. Just like in Kaiserreich, there'd be exiled royals elsewhere in the world hoping to take back their countries (the Bourbons in New Spain and the Braganzas in Brazil, for example) and several syndicalist nationalist movements, inspired by the French Revolution, that could end up blowing up in Paris' face, such as the movements for Italian and German unification, the one for Portuguese re-unification, and the French Caribbean could end up being a powder keg, too.
Assuming Napoleon hasn't miraculously sealioned Britain, a revanchist Britain which has been forced into a humiliating but not total defeat would be an interesting player in affairs. I imagine a game as Britain would be about knowing when to strike at the right time in order to crumple Napoleon's house of cards.

Assuming Napoleon hasn't miraculously sealioned Britain, a revanchist Britain which has been forced into a humiliating but not total defeat would be an interesting player in affairs. I imagine a game as Britain would be about knowing when to strike at the right time in order to crumple Napoleon's house of cards.

The UK would be weaker than its OTL version: the defeat in the Napoleonic Wars probably means that the Crown's hold on the colonies might be shakier. The EIC would still control part of India, but it would be independent in all but name (since the EIC would be wealthier than the defeated British government) and seriously considering to actually declare independence to protect its business, while facing opposition from nearby Indian polities and their own Indian subjects.

The OTL rebellions of 1837-1838 in Canada would've happened earlier, and would've been successful, with most of Canada being similarly independent in all but name; moreover, Napoleon's Connacht-based Irish Republic might still be around. Cue the Great Famine, scores of starving Irish fleeing the UK-held east of the island for the French client state in the west, and one hell of a casus belli is served.

I played the original Victoria but never go into Vicy 2. the Complex financial system in Victoria 1 killed zapped a lot of the fun of the game for me. I could never figure out how to keep the politics from going to one extreme or the other.

An articles of confederation or otherwise disunited USA would be interesting. I would enjoy creating a North American balance of power especially with the ever present threat of European involvement.

Also maybe trying to keep the South American viceroyalties together (South America is always an after thought 😭)

Would a mod inspired by or directly adapted from Lion's Blood by Steven Barnes work? I think an African-dominated 19th century could be an interesting mod.

Paradoxer

Banned
The UK would be weaker than its OTL version: the defeat in the Napoleonic Wars probably means that the Crown's hold on the colonies might be shakier. The EIC would still control part of India, but it would be independent in all but name (since the EIC would be wealthier than the defeated British government) and seriously considering to actually declare independence to protect its business, while facing opposition from nearby Indian polities and their own Indian subjects.

The OTL rebellions of 1837-1838 in Canada would've happened earlier, and would've been successful, with most of Canada being similarly independent in all but name; moreover, Napoleon's Connacht-based Irish Republic might still be around. Cue the Great Famine, scores of starving Irish fleeing the UK-held east of the island for the French client state in the west, and one hell of a casus belli is served.
To make Napoleon mod more interesting you could have US use chaos of Napoleonic Wars and continued negotiations lead to them kicking Europeans out of Western Hemisphere. The US wins War of 1812 and takes Canada. Napoleon ends up selling rest of French colonies in new world to help fund and organize more things domestically/regionally. The Americans also are able to get Dutch to sell their holdings. The US later seize or buy Spanish islands in Caribbean after they lose rest of new world colonies. The US has similar set to Mexican American War but Mexico is stronger then otl(more immigrants and exiles went there). Maybe Mexico is Napoleonic style Empire by time of Mexican American War.

The Revolutions for independence still happen across Spanish colonies with American backing in 1820s like otl. The exception is Brazil has all of Portuguese overseas colonies and claim Portugal throne/land as well. They never break away since monarch fled there. They are heart of Portuguese empire. Grand Columbia stays united. The US controls north east coast of South America. Except bits they give grand Columbia from former British colony there. The Americans take effort to secure Caribbean and drive British out along with put down events in Haiti.

In US the Jefferson and southern bloc have more political power on national stage. The federalist lose more popularity and fall apart much earlier then otl. Anti federalist bloc grows more. The federalist only victory in politics is agreement with anti federalist fund large navy and marine force for lack of professional or standing army. The US is much of confederation then otl to give it internal issues to deal with in game

To make Napoleon mod more interesting you could have US use chaos of Napoleonic Wars and continued negotiations lead to them kicking Europeans out of Western Hemisphere. The US wins War of 1812 and takes Canada. Napoleon ends up selling rest of French colonies in new world to help fund and organize more things domestically/regionally. The Americans also are able to get Dutch to sell their holdings. The US later seize or buy Spanish islands in Caribbean after they lose rest of new world colonies. The US has similar set to Mexican American War but Mexico is stronger then otl(more immigrants and exiles went there). Maybe Mexico is Napoleonic style Empire by time of Mexican American War.

The Revolutions for independence still happen across Spanish colonies with American backing in 1820s like otl. The exception is Brazil has all of Portuguese overseas colonies and claim Portugal throne/land as well. They never break away since monarch fled there. They are heart of Portuguese empire. Grand Columbia stays united. The US controls north east coast of South America. Except bits they give grand Columbia from former British colony there. The Americans take effort to secure Caribbean and drive British out along with put down events in Haiti.

In US the Jefferson and southern bloc have more political power on national stage. The federalist lose more popularity and fall apart much earlier then otl. Anti federalist bloc grows more. The federalist only victory in politics is agreement with anti federalist fund large navy and marine force for lack of professional or standing army. The US is much of confederation then otl to give it internal issues to deal with in game

That would make the US too powerful, I think - however, if my understanding of Victoria 3 markets is on point, you could have a New France that's a colony of mainland France but economically tied to the US rather than France: this way, depending on how the game goes, France could reassert its control over it, the US could annex it instead, or it could try and declare independence - and since European settlers were outnumbered by the native population everywhere but in coastal Louisiana, an independent New France could decide to favour the settlers (leading to increased native militancy and secessionist sentiment that could lead to it being reduced to New Orleans and not much else) or to put natives and settlers on the same level, either through a Paraguay-like policy of mandatory miscegenation or though the establishment of a federal state and equal rights for all.

Slavery would be an issue in New France and the United States alike, and since the US would be less unified (maybe, it doesn't annex New France but, since the Canadian revolt would happen more or less at game start, it could try to annex the new republic instead, maybe if Canada is about to lose to the UK an event would fire, in which the Canadians petition the US for annexation in exchange for military aid) the northern states would be even less able to deal with southern slavery than in OTL.

Paradoxer

Banned
That would make the US too powerful, I think - however, if my understanding of Victoria 3 markets is on point, you could have a New France that's a colony of mainland France but economically tied to the US rather than France: this way, depending on how the game goes, France could reassert its control over it, the US could annex it instead, or it could try and declare independence - and since European settlers were outnumbered by the native population everywhere but in coastal Louisiana, an independent New France could decide to favour the settlers (leading to increased native militancy and secessionist sentiment that could lead to it being reduced to New Orleans and not much else) or to put natives and settlers on the same level, either through a Paraguay-like policy of mandatory miscegenation or though the establishment of a federal state and equal rights for all.

Slavery would be an issue in New France and the United States alike, and since the US would be less unified (maybe, it doesn't annex New France but, since the Canadian revolt would happen more or less at game start, it could try to annex the new republic instead, maybe if Canada is about to lose to the UK an event would fire, in which the Canadians petition the US for annexation in exchange for military aid) the northern states would be even less able to deal with southern slavery than in OTL.
That’s why I would make Mexico a empire and more strong even if not completely stable still to counter that bit. The US is more expansionist and trying for stuff like Golden Circle among southern ones. Even if they win in Mexico like otl and annex whole place they like France are over extended and having many regional fractions and interests to manage along with variety of systems and ec US actually has more political parties and lobbyists/interest groups to deal with.

The French Canadians for example likely don’t give shit about slavery and doing its own thing or “games” with federal government to get what they want and run place how they see fit. Canada distracts northerners while Caribbean distracts south which why slave issue is still both sides have more regional headaches that lead to both avoiding or putting off conflict with each other.

Also with weaker(still prevalent) of British global dominance the Atlantic slave trade continues which is growing international issue. The Dutch republic or independent Boar South Africa would be thing. Also Brazil has Portuguese African colonies.

The British still have Ireland those. They would have more settlers for it if they lose Canada and never get South African cape colony from Dutch. The British also still get Australia, New Zealand, and places in Asia. The focus on Egypt and Asia more earlier. They stay in Egypt and turn against weakening ottomans due to increased ties with Russia who while possibly weaken by Napoleon if he invades and successful he likely only gives them “bloody nose” giving Poles independence and strengthening Continental system.

I would leave British with similar status in India as otl but East Indian Company has more of free hand and leverage against government. The Dutch still have Indonesia.

The French are left with similar expansion Avenues like North Africa starting from its Algeria colony. Still likely competing for dominance of Mediterranean with British. In Asia the focus is opening trade with China and Japan and similar route to expansion in Vietnam/Indochina.

Europe by itself would be hand full. You can have France and Russia compete for influence over Balkans as Ottoman Empire falls apart or gets picked part on all ends.

Paradoxer

Banned

You would have different ideologies form too or stay prevalent more so and develop/take shape different from otl.

Like Napoleon own twist to “enlightened absolutism” and military-bureaucratic meritocracy full of appointed positions. Prussia likely copies bit of that too and reform state to more what it was during time of Frederick the Great(Prussia could still become concerned to France). Russia might have its own version of enlightened absolutism as well.

The US is still model and bastion for republicanism and its ideas.

The US republic vs French Empire on ideology can be described as rousseau(US) vs Voltaire.

Christian/Catholic reactionary and fanatics are also becoming issue in more traditional places and among dissatisfied clergy and peasants who feel left behind by more innovative minded Napoleon regimes in regards to industrialization and reform. They also opposed increased secularism. The Napoleonic regimes disregard or authority over Catholic institutions in their country and often perceived disrespect to papacy lead to many of clergy especially lower ranks to identify more with “working class” issues over industrialization and capitalism. They even take more active role in stirring up labor and workers in industrial urban centers. The more reformist or moderate clergy promote welfare states, worker rights, and concept of “Christian democracy” or “commune” among lower classes and greater Christian community