Is it possible to make a European power (that is not Germany or Russia) strong enough that it could rival the US?

Which candidate has got the best chances?

• Total voters

Viola

Banned
Any of these European powers will have to rally the rest of the continent around themselves to oppose the US, so kinda like Germany itself. It's just that Germany is more favoured by its dominant position in continental Europe.

The only exception is a British Empire that uses its, well, empire to create power base to oppose the US that doesn't need the rest of Europe. But can the Empire survive decolonization?

The only exception is a British Empire that uses its, well, empire to create power base to oppose the US that doesn't need the rest of Europe. But can the Empire survive decolonization?

WWI broke a lot of illusions, particularly among the colonized, that Europeans were superior in some way. Without or with a shorter WW1, might be key to keeping the illusion going for much longer.

Deleted member 117308

A fast and decisive Entente victory in the Great War could delayed the decline of the Britain (or France). Is the the Imperial Federation ASB?

Deleted member 117308

Any of these European powers will have to rally the rest of the continent around themselves to oppose the US, so kinda like Germany itself. It's just that Germany is more favoured by its dominant position in continental Europe.

Getting rid of colonies was actually a good thing. Germany had 4 colonies in Africa and only one colony (Togo) that was not a drain to the German economy. But I do not know how many British or French colonies were worth the trouble.

Sure, France would be a pretty good bet. If they had a bit more luck and were a bit more modest then the 20th Century could have gone far better for them.

Anyone who could unify / conquer all of Europe could do it. Britain (and maaaaybe France) could also do it if they had incorporated their colonial empires instead of extricating from them during decolonization.

Anyone who could unify / conquer all of Europe could do it. Britain (and maaaaybe France) could also do it if they had incorporated their colonial empires instead of extricating from them during decolonization.
Sounds easy. I wonder why France didn't simply incorporate Algeria.

- Great Britain if it could successfully politically integrate its Commonwealth into a permanent part of the empire.

Other nations are hard if the pod is post 1900. A late pod really limits potential.

I'd say if you could someone create a international Islamic unification movement, the Ottomans would be the best bet in terms of potential. But the chances of that happening are slim to none.

I'm trying desperately to come up with a totally out of left field answer. So far I have the norse gods returning and helping Sweden conquer the world. Or Portugal conquers Wakanda.

ASB aside I France could have if there was no wwi and a few changes pre-1900, Britain definitely could have with a post 1900 pod. Maybe A-H with the right amount of changes, contrary to popular belief the Hapsburgs and their empire were not doomed to fail regardless and could have enacted reforms to better integrate and represent all tye peoples of the Empire, a pod which sees them not surrounded by potential enemies could also help them considerably. Not saying it's easy. But it could be done. Much the same for the rest.

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
Britain is the most likely given they have strength in the one area that can challenge the US directly - naval power - and bases in the Western Hemisphere. The pre-codicil is that there is no major European naval threat - so post-1918 or without Wilhelmine Germany's naval laws.

France could have been but IMHO that would require a POD no later than 1870. Prussia / Germany needs to be removed as the largest nation in Europe (excl. Russia) and as a threat to France's eastern borders.

Let's not forget that the world wars accelerated the USA's rise in absolute terms as well as relative to the other powers (the US might be the only country to turn a profit waging war in the 20th century). If your POD was simply to have the First World War not happen or be over quickly (I'd argue it wouldn't really matter who won in a quick 1-2 year victory) then Britain retains its claims to global supremacy and the USA remains a large and productive second-string nation rapidly advancing to the Big Leagues some time in the 40s.
Considering that the USA and UK considered each other rivals in OTL all the way to the Second World War (if I recall correctly) I think it only the miserliness of Congress without a war stimulus that'll prevent that rivalry from continuing all the way through the century, however friendly it is.