Alternate warships of nations

That wouldn't be where I'd expect anyone to see that movie to be honest, the only reason I ever saw it was we rented a movie (back in the VHS days) and it was in the case instead of what we actually wanted.
Yeah in my JROTC class back in high school we had an old school Master Chief who served from the 50s through the early 80s then when on teach JROTC for another 20 years. He more less didn't care at that point and we watched a fair number of movies by the time I got into my HS' JROTC program in 1999. The officer who was the senior instructor in the program was more worried about his ongoing divorce and sleeping with one of the parents of a senior cadet than the program itself. It wasn't till the third year in that program where we got a pair of new instructors that we opened a text book. Prior to that it was mostly bullshit easy class. By that point I was a Color Cadet 1st Class without so much as ever having taken a written test.

[snip]And there's the classic tale of a USN submarine leaving port after some extensive repairs. Only to find out that somehow after cutting out a patch of hull to do some repairs the ship yard workers had forgotten the small step of replacing the hull. Meaning the submarine found itself underwater and a couple miles from port with the only thing keeping the Atlantic out being a fuckton of duct tape.

Reminds me of a story I read in Arch Whitehouse's SUBS AND SUBMARINERS. New sub under construction (1930's IIRC), her future captain is inspecting her. Finds some pinholes in the conning tower sheeting and points this out to the yard foreman. Is told "Don't worry about it, when we're done painting her them holes won't show."

So you knew not to let large breasted nurses into submarine control rooms.
German Submarine Movies:
4-format2020.jpg

vs

American Submarine Movies:
1513868433_1.jpg

Imagine no WNT so G3 and N3 are built (or at least the construction is started) what are the likely names? I imagine Nelson and Rodney are still used but what else is likely?

Imagine no WNT so G3 and N3 are built (or at least the construction is started) what are the likely names? I imagine Nelson and Rodney are still used but what else is likely?
Does the Hood's sisters get built?

Some of those names may be reused (Anson and Howe).

The N3s seem to be referred to as the UK's patron saints in some sources (more modern than the battleships). So St George, St Patrick, St David, St Andrew. I'm not sure that is a serious suggestion from the time or something historians use sometimes.

You might get HMS Beaty and Jellicoe if someone is very happy with ww1 admirals.

Last edited:

The N3s seem to be referred to as the UK's patron saints in some sources (more modern than the battleships). So St George, St Patrick, St David, St Andrew. I'm not sure that is a serious suggestion from the time or something historians use sometimes.

You might get HMS Beaty and Jellicoe if someone is very happy with ww1 admirals.
Given OTL events, I wonder if the RN might shy away from using HMS St Patrick if the majority of Ireland is in open revolt or has left to be the Free State by that point?

I believe the RN was already inching towards cancelling the Hood's sisters even at that stage, but I could be wrong. I dont think the ships would have received saint names had they entered service, but I dont really know how serious a suggestion that was either so I could be very wrong there.

I believe the RN was already inching towards cancelling the Hood's sisters even at that stage, but I could be wrong. I dont think the ships would have received saint names had they entered service, but I dont really know how serious a suggestion that was either so I could be very wrong there.
I've seen them mentioned a good few times as potential names but I usually consider it something a historian a few years after suggested and it's sort of stuck.

I've seen them mentioned a good few times as potential names but I usually consider it something a historian a few years after suggested and it's sort of stuck.
Most ships are also given suggested names early in their design phase. Sometimes the names stick, and sometimes not. The trouble is that if those saint names were suggested early in their design phase we dont know how seriously they were considered, but its the best we have.

Hood's sisters had already been scrapped by the time the Washington treaty was proposed. For some reason the RN had lost faith in Battlecruisers designed before Jutland.

After WWI HMS Lion is transferred to the Royal Australian Navy as a replacement for the obsolete HMAS Australia. HMS Canada is transferred to the Royal Canadian Navy to serve as flagship.

1603986165292.png

After WWI HMS Lion is transferred to the Royal Australian Navy as a replacement for the obsolete HMAS Australia. HMS Canada is transferred to the Royal Canadian Navy to serve as flagship.

View attachment 595103

I think HMS Princess Royal would have been a better fit for Canada, battlecruisers are much better units to protect against enemy cruisers and commerce raiders that threaten the commerce of the commonwealth nations.