La generación magnífica//The Magnificent Generation - A Catholic Monarchs TL

Aw! Looks like Elizabeth of York is never long for this world! But l liked the little note that at least three out of four of Elizabeth's children/step-children named one of their daughters for her. That, in itself, speaks for what an influence she had on them, despite only knowing them for a few short years.

Looking forward to more - and to see whether Elizabeth's having been married abroad before her father's death is enough to secure her brother's hold on his throne.

VI: Children of Maximilian and Elizabeth
Children of Maximilian I, Holy Roman Emperor (b. 1459) and Elizabeth of York (b. 1466, d. 1492)
1) Eleanor of Austria (b. 1484)​
2) Ernst of Austria (b. 1486)​
3) Elisabeth of Austria (b. 1489)​
4) Eduard of Austria (b. 1491, d. 1492)​
5) Kunigunde of Austria (b. 1492, d. 1495)​

* Note that I have not included marriages and certain adult titles *

Last edited:
So is Imperial backing enough to scare off Richard? Or does Edward live longer? If so, there are records that indicated he was planning on pardoning the Tudors and allowing them back to England (better to keep an eye on them) before his death.

Looking forward to more - and to see whether Elizabeth's having been married abroad before her father's death is enough to secure her brother's hold on his throne.
So is Imperial backing enough to scare off Richard? Or does Edward live longer? If so, there are records that indicated he was planning on pardoning the Tudors and allowing them back to England (better to keep an eye on them) before his death.
Well, considering that Maximilian is a solid Lancastrian claimant himself, I think Edward V is secure in his throne for now. I'm not sure what will become of the Tudors ITTL. With Richard as regent/Lord Protector, he may go through with the pardon and allow Henry to be earl of Richmond.

Very interesting- I quite like the more personal style, focusing on the personal lives. I've tried to put a fair amount into my tl but always found it a bit difficult, so props!

Poor Max... Still he at least loved two of his wives, which is an improvement over OTL... I wonder if he will remarry? It's not absolutely required, but a third son would be helpful... I wonder if this Phillip of Burgundy will be somewhat of a better person here, as he had a good stepmother to help raise him?
Oh well, I think who unless certain situations in Italy had not gone in a totally different way from OTL (aka the wedding between Gian Galeazzo Sforza and Isabella of Aragon-Naples was annulled for not consummation) I think who Maximilian will end remarrying on schedule to Bianca Maria Sforza as her dowry (in which was included also a substantial bribe/unofficial payment by Ludovico for getting the imperial investiture of Milan) is too much big for being refused

Last edited:
Oh well, I think who unless certain situations in Italy had not gone in a totally different way from OTL (aka the wedding between Gian Galeazzo Sforza and Isabella of Aragon-Naples was annulled for not consummation) I think who Maximilian will end remarrying on schedule to Bianca Maria Sforza as her dowry (in which was included also a substantial bribe/unofficial payment by Ludovico for getting the imperial investiture of Milan) is too much big for being refused
Question: I was actually planning on having Gian Galeazzo and Isabella's marriage annulled, so that Isabella could marry János Corvinus. Why would that preclude Maximilian from marrying Bianca Maria?

Question: I was actually planning on having Gian Galeazzo and Isabella's marriage annulled, so that Isabella could marry János Corvinus. Why would that preclude Maximilian from marrying Bianca Maria?
Because that match would NOT needed anymore (in OTL most of Bianca Maria’s dowry was an extra payment from Ludovico for getting the imperial investiture of Milan for himself). Plus is pretty likely who Bianca Maria would be sent in Naples as bride for the future Ferdinand II as sort of keeping the alliance with another match. In any case without any consummation of the wedding of Isabella and Gian Galeazzo the relationship between Milan (destined to the children of Ludovico and Beatrice d’Este after GianGaleazzo) and Naples would remain at least cordial unlike OTL so the Italian Wars are butterflied (as they were caused by Ludovico’s need of strong allies against Naples who was contes his hold on Milan in name of Isabella).
[if you need Ferdinand II dying childless and married to Giovanna then have Bianca Maria dying and him remarrying to his much younger half aunt, then dying]

Last edited:
Because that match would NOT needed anymore (in OTL most of Bianca Maria’s dowry was an extra payment from Ludovico for getting the imperial investiture of Milan for himself). Plus is pretty likely who Bianca Maria would be sent in Naples as bride for the future Ferdinand II as sort of keeping the alliance with another match. In any case without any consummation of the wedding of Isabella and Gian Galeazzo the relationship between Milan (destined to the children of Ludovico and Beatrice d’Este after GianGaleazzo) and Naples would remain at least cordial unlike OTL so the Italian Wars are butterflied (as they were caused by Ludovico’s need of strong allies against Naples who was contes his hold on Milan in name of Isabella).
[if you need Ferdinand II dying childless and married to Giovanna then have Bianca Maria dying and him remarrying to his much younger half aunt, then dying]
Ok...though would it not be possible for the French to act on the Neapolitan claim without Ludovico inviting them? I would certainly think that possible but maybe I misjudged. And would Ferdinand II's marriage to Giovanna be necessary? I imagine that Ferdinand of Aragon would have no scruples about claiming Naples in the name of his son's wife even if Giovanna hadn't been queen previously.

Ok...though would it not be possible for the French to act on the Neapolitan claim without Ludovico inviting them? I would certainly think that possible but maybe I misjudged. And would Ferdinand II's marriage to Giovanna be necessary? I imagine that Ferdinand of Aragon would have no scruples about claiming Naples in the name of his son's wife even if Giovanna hadn't been queen previously.
It was sort of Charles VIII's personal obsession with gaining Naples, I think he could still try to attack Italy to gain Neapolitan crown.
Yes, Charles (and Louis) can try but is unlikely they will have the OTL success without support from Milan (pretty unlikely when Milan has no trouble with Naples). Well, Giovanna chances’ to claim the Crown over her elder half-brother were tied to her wedding. Ferdinand will NOT have so many scruples but Giovanna’s claim would be pretty flimsy without being already Queen of Naples

Yes, Charles (and Louis) can try but is unlikely they will have the OTL success without support from Milan (pretty unlikely when Milan has no trouble with Naples). Well, Giovanna chances’ to claim the Crown over her elder half-brother were tied to her wedding. Ferdinand will NOT have so many scruples but Giovanna’s claim would be pretty flimsy without being already Queen of Naples

But still, French are military superior over anything Naples can muster against them, so they probably will occupy Naples for some time.