Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

The famine in the rural areas is most likely being caused by inefficient farming methods and more importantly the central government is taking as much food as possible and sending it to the cities in a bid to keep the population from rioting.
The fact that the inflation is not under control makes it harder for the government to keep the civilian population in line and maybe it is not helped if the United States has cut off the necessary credit and aid that is needed to buy the surplus crops that the United States has IOTL.
There is most likely massive corruption in the government and is selling food thru the black Market instead of official channels which is a major reason there is inflation in the first place.

Let's see Nella, Nan, and this new girl Sophie are having a bonding experience together and they are apparently getting along together, I am sure that Louis and Charlotte will encourage the friendship as they want both Nella and Nan to have a broader circle of peers around them instead of them just being with each other all the time.
So are we seeing "The Three Furies: The Next Generation" ?

Last edited:
12th August 1967

Beijing, China

There was profound irony in how Pan Yong had found himself being the one who had kept the Generalissimo in power since the Sino-Korean had ended in disaster years earlier. He had plotted and schemed along with everyone else in how to remove Chiang Kai-shek and be at the top of the heap when the smoke cleared. The problem was that the opportunity had never presented itself. Instead, Pan found himself at the head of an army sent to quell peasant uprisings, put down another General who had rebelled against the central authority, or some other bloody errand. It seemed like there always a new crisis that needed to be dealt with first.

Today was no different, except it was protests over the rising price of rice and other food staples in the Capital this time. The well-fed professionals in the city were upset about that while completely unaware of the famine that gripped the countryside. All Pan could do was shake his head in disgust as his men were deployed to keep order. Whenever there was a mass protest, there were opportunists about who took advantage of the situation however they could. The smell of smoke in the air suggested that it had already begun. The last thing that needed to happen was for the city’s Fire Brigades to be unable to respond because protesters crowding the streets. That was where Pan came in, he had a reputation of doing what was necessary once the Riot Act had been read. Just the mention of his name caused many to flee in fear. Still, it made for a long afternoon because those who set out to loot businesses or just for the sake of causing trouble were not the sort inclined to run at the sight of soldiers entering their proximity.

So....he knows and sees the irony/hypocrisy in his position. Well at least he is self-aware of that.

That said, is he going to pull a Deng Xiaoping or something?

So a middleclass girl from Berlin meets two girls from completely different spheres of society, even though one of those girls is new to the sphere she is living now in. History repeating itself again? Love the dark & stormy night scene, works well as an opportunity for bonding. As long as no-one starts singing about their favourite things, that is.

Meanwhile, everyone in China is still living in interesting times...

Edit: ninja'd. The Three Furies v 3.0

Let's see Nella, Nan, and this new girl Sophie are having a bonding experience together and they are apparently getting along together, I am sure that Louis and Charlotte will encourage the friendship as they want both Nella and Nan to have a broader circle of peers around them instead of them just being with each other all the time.
So are we seeing "The Three Furies: The Next Generation" ?
So a middleclass girl from Berlin meets two girls from completely different spheres of society, even though one of those girls is new to the sphere she is living now in. History repeating itself again? Love the dark & stormy night scene, works well as an opportunity for bonding. As long as no-one starts singing about their favourite things, that is.

Third times a charm as they say.....

Three Furies whipped utno the Third Generation?

No Nazis, No von Trapp Family Singers escaping to the United States, No The Sound of Music, No "My Favorite Things" , No Worries.
The von Trapps should be living the quiet life in Austria, although Georg von Trapp probably continued his naval career as Austria kept its connection to Adriatic.

I'm so glad you didn't mis-spell that... x'D
I triple checked the spelling before posting. Too many bad experiences with so-called predictive text & auto-correct; the software programmers for those must have some interesting... extracurricular activities...

We seriously need a World map.
You said something similar a few months back, didn't you?

I actually have it pictured roughly in my head:
- Gorizia and Trieste belong to Austria. Austria's borders are similar to OTL but follows old provincial borders, therefore it includes OTL Slovenian Styria and OTL southern Sudetenland, and OTL Trentino-Alto Adige. Unsure about Burgenland.
- If Trieste is still Austrian despite being majority Italian, Trentino would also still belong to Austria. Italy would have OTL 1914 borders, having failed to gain anything following the dissolution of Austria-Hungary
- Slovenia has the borders of Carniola
- OTL Slovenian Istria belongs to Croatia
- Croatia consists of Istria, Dalmatia and Croatia-Slavonia
- Bosnia probably has OTL borders
- Croatia is independent, which means Hungary lost land too. This means an independent Slovakia, and loss of Vojvodina to Serbia. Cessation of at least part of Transylvania to Romania is certain, unsure of to which extent. Unsure about Ruthenia/Subcarpathia, which was majority Rusyn/Ukrainian but ceded to Czechoslovakia IOTL
- Serbia has OTL 1914 borders, except for the addition of Vojvodina
- Montenegro was occupied by Austria OTL up to the end of the war, therefore it should still be independent ITTL
- For the rest of former Austria, Bohemia has OTL Czech Republic borders excluding Upper Austria, and all of Galicia belongs to Poland. Unsure about Bukovina, most likely ceded to Romania

Oh and there's still southern Dodruja, which was ceded from Bulgaria to Romania IOTL, and Moldova/Bessarabia, which was strangely mentioned by P-M to belong to Romania, but containing a secessionist movement despite the fact that Romania never annexed the ethnic Russian region of Moldova OTL.

Yeah. Seconded. We need a map.

Edited to replace Thrace with Dodruja

Last edited:
You said something similar a few months back, didn't you?

I actually have it pictured roughly in my head:
- Gorizia and Trieste belong to Austria. Austria's borders are similar to OTL but follows old provincial borders, therefore it includes OTL Slovenian Styria and OTL southern Sudetenland, and OTL Trentino-Alto Adige. Unsure about Burgenland.
- If Trieste is still Austrian despite being majority Italian, Trentino would also still belong to Austria. Italy would have OTL 1914 borders, having failed to gain anything following the dissolution of Austria-Hungary
- Slovenia has the borders of Carniola
- OTL Slovenian Istria belongs to Croatia
- Croatia consists of Istria, Dalmatia and Croatia-Slavonia
- Bosnia probably has OTL borders
- Croatia is independent, which means Hungary lost land too. This means an independent Slovakia, and loss of Vojvodina to Serbia. Unsure if there is any cessation of Transylvania to Romania. Unsure about Ruthenia/Subcarpathia, which was majority Hungarian but ceded to Czechoslovakia IOTL
- Serbia has OTL 1914 borders, except for the addition of Vojvodina
- Montenegro was occupied by Austria OTL up to the end of the war, therefore it should still be independent ITTL
- For the rest of former Austria, Bohemia has OTL Czech Republic borders excluding Upper Austria, and all of Galicia belongs to Poland. Unsure about Bukovina, most likely ceded to Romania

Oh and there's still Western Thrace, which was ceded from Bulgaria to Greece IOTL, and Moldova/Bessarabia, which was strangely mentioned by P-M to belong to Romania, but containing a secessionist movement despite the fact that Romania never annexed the ethnic Russian region of Moldova OTL.

Yeah. Seconded. We need a map.
You know, that made absolutely no sense to me. but then I am not a Balkans aficionado. All these little areas obviously have some bearing on matters but a simple (yeah,right!) map would be so much better. I am a visual person, so showing where the red bits have now become orange bits and the blue bits don't now exist, unless they are part of the purples bits actually does make more sense to me.
but then that is me!

You know, that made absolutely no sense to me. but then I am not a Balkans aficionado. All these little areas obviously have some bearing on matters but a simple (yeah,right!) map would be so much better. I am a visual person, so showing where the red bits have now become orange bits and the blue bits don't now exist, unless they are part of the purples bits actually does make more sense to me.
but then that is me!
That's fair, and to be honest, until the countries in question were mentioned, I wasn't bothered too much either. I brought up the territorial changes only as and when the countries involved were mentioned, which weren't often.

(I can't imagine how the Middle East must look like ITTL. The only borders in that region that P-M has given a definite answer on is that of Turkey.)

Oh , god, save us from the Middle east. There are so many tribes and variations and permutations that I think only a genius or an Idiot Savant could make sense of it, and I tend towards the idiot savant!