The Rise of the Dragon: An Altered History of the World Wrestling Federation

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 1988: A Tournament of Champions
HART_O5.jpg

May 16, 1988

WWF
Even with Hogan gone, crowds have been really good lately. So good, in fact, that managers might be back to work on house shows soon.

Speaking of Hogan, his wife recently gave birth to a baby girl named Brooke.
[1]

Ricky Steamboat is now being billed as the “Undisputed WWF Champion”. The word “Heavyweight” will no longer be used when talking about the title.

A tournament to crown the new challenger to the WWF Title will be announced on the next taping of Superstars. It’s suspected this will incorporate a storyline involving Steamboat and DiBiase, but not much is known as of yet.

The new show in August is reportedly going to be called “Summer Slam” …
[2]

NWA
Some more information has come to light about why Crockett released Sting … Apparently, Sting went for a ride on his 3-wheeler all-terrain vehicle at his home, deliberately defying doctor’s orders not to partake in any activities like that while his injury healed. Sting turned the vehicle too quickly, causing it to roll over on him, and while it didn’t cause anything life-threatening, it did fracture two of (Sting’s) fingers and re-injured his shoulder. When Crockett and Dusty got word of the accident, they were both furious about it, and fired Sting over the phone when he called about his situation.

Jim “Venom” Hellwig, Sting’s closest friend backstage, was said to be furious about Sting being fired, and threatened to quit. Dusty, Arn and Flair convinced him to stay by offering him a bonus for his match at the Great American Bash on 7/10 against Jim Duggan. Duggan is extremely popular with the crowd, so they couldn’t afford to lose one-half of that match.

No word yet on where Sting will be headed …

WCW
Jerry Lawler defeated Manny Fernandez in a tournament final at the show on 5/11 to win the newly created WCW Heavyweight Championship. Kerry Von Erich, who lost to Fernandez in the semifinal, ran out to cause the distraction, costing Manny the match … A tag team match of Lawler & Kerry vs. Fernandez & Eddie Gilbert will air on the first episode of WCW World of Wrestling (the new name for the weekly WCW TV show).

STAMPEDE
Owen Hart’s last Stampede match occurred on 5/14, where he lost a rematch against Makhan Singh for the North American Title. Singh ended Owen’s year-plus long reign as North American champion on 5/6 … Owen is definitely headed to WWF next month, but there’s no other word on that situation right now.

---

May 21, 1988

(The WWF logo appears over a background of clouds)

GENE OKERLUND, VOICE-OVER: The WWF…what the world is watching!

(The camera shows the inside of the arena, the audience, the ringside area, and eventually settles on Vince McMahon and Jesse Ventura at the announce table)

VINCE MCMAHON: Emanating live from Duluth, Minnesota, the home of rock-and-roll legend Bob Dylan, it’s the Superstars of Wrestling! Hello, everyone, I’m Vince McMahon, alongside Jesse “the Body” Ventura, and we have some great action for you tonight!

JESSE VENTURA: Bob Dylan? That’s very fitting, McMahon, because sitting next to you, I definitely can smell something “blowing in the wind!” [3]

MCMAHON: Pay no mind to the man next to me, ladies and gentlemen, because we also have a huge announcement from WWF President Jack Tunney himself! Let’s get down to business!

(The intro credits for Superstars of Wrestling roll)

MCMAHON: Welcome, everyone! We have lots of action for you here tonight, as we will see the Intercontinental Champion, “the Hitman” Bret Hart, live and in action tonight, as well as “Ravishing” Rick Rude. In addition, “the Million Dollar Man” Ted DiBiase will be taking on one-half of Strike Force, the young Canadian, Rick Martel. And tonight, yes, the man himself, WWF Champion “the Dragon” Ricky Steamboat will be in action! But first, we have a special announcement…Jesse, what do you suppose this is about?

VENTURA: Well, McMahon, Tunney’s like a groundhog: he only appears once or twice a year, and when he does, it’s usually something important. But if I had to speculate about it, I’d say Tunney is gonna say that Steamboat has finally come to his senses, that he’s decided to accept the Million Dollar Man’s offer after all, and that he will announce Ted DiBiase as the brand-new World Wrestling Federation Champion, tonight!

MCMAHON: Personally, I think there’s very little chance of that happening. Ladies and gentlemen, without further ado, World Wrestling Federation President Jack Tunney!

(The camera cuts to an obviously pre-recorded promo from Tunney, who is seated at a table in an office with black-and-white pictures of wrestlers on the walls behind him)

JACK TUNNEY: Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. As president of the World Wrestling Federation, it is my duty to organize the most entertaining events and matches for the WWF fans to see. With this in mind, I have two announcements that concern upcoming happenings this summer. My first announcement concerns the WWF’s newest pay-per-view event. On August 28th, the World Wrestling Federation will hold an event which I am dubbing Summer Slam. I encourage all of our fans to call their local cable provider and order this sure-to-be-exciting show. My second announcement concerns the state of the Undisputed WWF Championship. Starting next week, a tournament will be held featuring eight of the top superstars in this company to determine the next challenger to the World Wrestling Federation Champion, “the Dragon” Ricky Steamboat. [4] The first-round matches will be as follows: Jake “the Snake” Roberts will take on the “Million Dollar Man” Ted DiBiase. Don Muraco will face Greg Valentine. “The Macho Man” Randy Savage will face off against “Ravishing” Rick Rude. And finally, the Junkyard Dog will go one-on-one with the One Man Gang. The four winners of these matches will then advance to the second round, and the winners of those matches will face one another in the final match, which will take place on an upcoming Friday Night’s Main Event. The winner of that match will receive an Undisputed WWF Championship match against Ricky “the Dragon” Steamboat at Summer Slam. The first two matches will happen next week. Good luck to all the superstars involved, and may the best competitor win. Now, on with the show.

-opening to WWF Superstars of Wrestling, aired on May 21st, 1988

WWF Championship Match Tournament bracket
1st Round: Ted DiBiase vs. Jake Roberts
1st Round: Greg Valentine vs. Don Muraco
1st Round: Randy Savage vs. Rick Rude
1st Round: Junkyard Dog vs. One Man Gang
Semifinal: TBD
Semifinal: TBD
Final: TBD

---

May 30, 1988

WWF
The WWF … (has) already sold most of its ads for the whole year, and they’re getting worried about what’s going to happen now. An ad they ran in Electronic Media magazine recently stated they were in the top 5 Nielsen-rated shows every week for four straight weeks, which only Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy can also claim. That’s actually only still a slight lie – there was one week where they were #6.

Hulk Hogan is reportedly spending time with his family after the birth of his first child – a baby girl named Brooke, as we stated last week. Still no word on when he’ll be returning.

Just to let you know the type of person Ricky Steamboat is: back in April, you may remember a story I wrote about visiting Steamboat’s gym in Charlotte to buy some t-shirts. And lo and behold, the guy at the desk tells us he just closed up before we got there. Well, guess what I got in the mail last week? That’s right: a couple of Steamboat gym t-shirts.
[5]

Terry Taylor may be getting a gimmick when he debuts soon, but there’s no word on what it might be.

Owen Hart will be making his debut soon as a babyface. Early word is they will be associating him with Bret, and maybe Neidhart, in some shape or form.
[6]

Wrestlers are now working 10 days on, 3 days off.

Not much word yet about the tournament to crown a new challenger to the WWF Title, but the early favorites to win are Savage and DiBiase …

Steve Blackman, a WWF jobber, recently got a win over Sam Houston on one of the matches taped for Superstars. Steamboat is reportedly friends with him backstage and is lobbying for Vince to use him on TV.

NWA
Big Bubba Rogers has quit in a dispute over pay … With Sting’s departure and now this, this writer expects Crockett to start trying to push some of the Mid-South guys they haven’t been using much.

AWA
I survived an AWA ESPN taping. Just barely. There is no question in my mind that the AWA is the worst promotion of any significant proportion after viewing “The Night of Wrestling Hell”, the 5/14 taping at the Showboat Training Center before 400 fans. A whole group of us decided to go at the last minute, mainly to see Riki Choshu’s first wrestling appearance in the U.S. in nearly six years. Actually, it was just an excuse to write off Choshu’s honeymoon in Las Vegas, and he wrestled with about as much effort as someone who was on their honeymoon. And he was still better than just about everybody on the card … Four of the advertised five matches didn’t take place, and there were six no-shows.
[7]

The Nasty Boys have been fired.

It stinks that the AWA are billing Choshu as “Shoshi”. But then again, I half-expected Verne to misspell his name as “Cho Shoe”.

Dallas Paige (sp) is still one of the most over guys on the roster, and one of the best promos. Too bad he’s head and shoulders below Jesse Ventura …

I will say one positive thing about (Madusa) Miceli: she has a lot of charisma and gets a lot of reaction from everything she does, even though most of the time she doesn’t have a clue what she’s doing. She has potential to be an awesome valet, though.

WCW
Reports on the 5/11 show where Jerry Lawler won the title have been promising. 6,200 fans attended, and the gate drew almost $90,000. It doesn’t seem like much, but it’s phenomenal for an upstart company.

STAMPEDE
Lots of Stampede fans are really worried about the future of the company now that Owen is headed to the WWF, but they’ve always done okay whenever he headed to Japan to tour. He was always very over with the live crowd, but he wasn’t a huge draw.

They’re setting up a Chris Benoit/Johnny Smith feud over the Continental Title. Benoit will be gone by July for a New Japan tour.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] Hulk Hogan’s daughter is born in early May 1988, as OTL, but whether or not she’ll get involved in the business remains to be seen…

[2] IOTL, of course, it was named Summerslam (one word).

[3] Again, Ventura thumbing his nose at the boss without getting in trouble for it, as he did best at this time!

[4] I know what some of you out there are saying: “But Vince McMahon hates tournaments!” He agrees to this one for numerous reasons. First off, the primary reason McMahon soured so much on tournaments IOTL in the first place was because of the lukewarm reception of Wrestlemania IV, which featured a huge tournament for the WWF Title (which never happens ITTL); second, it’s at the center of a storyline that he really likes. There’s another reason, too, but I won’t spoil it here…

[5] This sounds like something I’d make up for the narrative, but no—all of it is as OTL. Nice guy, that Steamboat!

[6] They didn’t do this IOTL, of course, opting to give Owen a bumbling superhero gimmick called “The Blue Blazer” (which I’m actually very glad they went with instead of their other name, “The Cheetah Kid”), and opting not to mention Owen’s real name or any connection whatsoever with his brother Bret. Here, since Bret and the Hart Foundation are a much bigger deal, Vince makes the choice to debut Owen under his real name, smelling the chance to make more money.

[7] This all comes nearly word-for-word from the OTL 5/23 Wrestling Observer Newsletter, except the attendance number is quite a bit worse than OTL.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm back, folks! I hope you're all ready for a flurry of new updates in the near future!

As the WWF rolls toward a new PPV and a new challenger for Steamboat, Owen Hart is looking towards his future in the WWF, and Sting and Big "Not the Boss Man" Bubba Rogers are forcing JCP to look toward the future as well. Also, the AWA are suffering; how much longer can Verne Gagne hold on?

Coming soon: the beginnings of the #1 contender's tournament for the WWF Championship, and the NWA is under new ownership...

June 1988: Nonstop Wrestling Action
0084940ddd292b8e90e3ff2910b53ac1.jpg

May 28, 1988

On an episode of Superstars of Wrestling, the tournament to crown a new #1 contender to Ricky “the Dragon” Steamboat’s WWF Championship begins. The first match of the tournament sees Jake “the Snake” Roberts facing off with “Million Dollar Man” Ted DiBiase. After about six minutes of back-and-forth action, Roberts manages to gain the upper hand and sets up for the DDT. However, Rick Rude’s music suddenly plays, distracting and infuriating Roberts. Rude appears in the aisle, smirking at Roberts, who tries to goad Rude to come down to the ring. Instead, the distraction is enough for DiBiase to recover enough to lock Roberts in the Million Dollar Dream. Roberts fights valiantly, but in the end, his arm is dropped three times by the referee, who awards the match to the Million Dollar Man, and Ted DiBiase advances to the second round.

After a squash match which sees Bad News Brown decimate jobber Mike Richards (with an inset promo from Paul Orndorff challenging Brown to a match), the second match of the tournament takes place, with “Macho Man” Randy Savage taking on Rick Rude. Several minutes go by with neither man getting the upper hand, but after Bobby Heenan manages to trip Savage from the outside, Rude gets in several cheap shots. Rude starts to go for the Rude Awakening, but all of a sudden, Jake Roberts’ music hits, and Rude’s archrival comes marching down to the ring, carrying a huge sack over his shoulder—quite a bit larger than the sack used to contain his Burmese python, Lucifer. Bobby Heenan attempts to stop Roberts, only to get a stiff punch to the jaw that knocks him down. As Rude looks on, Roberts opens the bag and dumps it onto Heenan, revealing a giant reticulated python at least 18 feet long. The snake will later be identified as “Damien”, Lucifer’s “big brother”. [1] As Heenan screams and tries to get away from the snake, Rude looks on, horrified for his manager. The distraction of the snake proves enough for Savage to knock Rude down with a clothesline, then climb to the top rope for a flying elbow drop, which is enough to keep Rude down for a 3-count, allowing Savage to advance to the second round.

After a quick match between Steve Blackman and Sam Houston, the first of several vignettes hyping the upcoming debut of Owen Hart, and a tag team match which sees Team Victory put away two jobbers, Roberts has an interview with Gene Okerlund in which he says he wants to fight Rick Rude, and he wants him in a match with no count-outs, no disqualifications, and no rules. Roberts challenges Rude to a steel cage match, and if he doesn’t get his wish, “I know where to find Bobby Heenan, and so does my friend Damien…” Soon afterward, Rude will accept Roberts’ challenge for a cage match at Summer Slam.

WWF Superstars of Wrestling results, airdate 5/28/1988
WWF Championship Match Tournament 1st Round Match
: “Million Dollar Man” Ted DiBiase (w/ Virgil) def. Jake “the Snake” Roberts (w/ Cheryl Roberts) (5:10)
Bad News Brown def. Mike Richards (0:52)
WWF Championship Match Tournament 1st Round Match: “Macho Man” Randy Savage (w/ Miss Elizabeth) def. “Ravishing” Rick Rude (w/ Bobby “the Brain” Heenan) (7:21)
Steve Blackman def. Sam Houston (w/ Ron Bass) (1:35)
Team Victory (Tito Santana & Rick Martel) def. Barry Horowitz & Dave Wagner (1:58)

---------------------------------

ANNOUNCER: Who…is…Owen Hart?

(These words appear on the screen before abruptly cutting away to Jim “the Anvil” Neidhart standing in front of a blue background while upbeat music plays)

JIM NEIDHART: Oh, baby, you’re asking me who Owen Hart is? Owen’s my brother-in-law, but I love him like he’s my own flesh and blood! And I’ll tell you something else: Owen may be the most athletic and breathtaking wrestler I’ve ever seen! When he gets in that ring, baby, you better watch out, because you’re gonna walk out a weaker, humbler man! (laughter)

(The camera shows a blue cape with Owen Hart’s name emblazoned on it in shocking pink letters; we can’t see who’s wearing it, but it’s implied that it’s Owen himself)

OWEN HART (offscreen): All you troublemakers better watch your backs! Because soon, I’ll be coming to the WWF to wipe out any trouble I find!

-

(These words appear on the screen before abruptly cutting away to “Leaping” Lanny Poffo standing in front of a blue background while upbeat music plays)

LANNY POFFO: Owen Hart is a man on a mission / He flies through the air like a bird! / And to take very lightly, a man quite so sprightly / Would certainly be too absurd! / So I welcome my friend to the WWF / And a brief word of warning to all / If an unlucky man takes on Owen today / Then that man will certainly fall!

(The camera shows the bright blue and pink cape with Owen Hart’s name on it; this time it’s zoomed out a little more, and we see a faint glimpse of the back of Owen’s neck)

OWEN HART: Very soon, I’ll be landing in the WWF! And if any hoodlum tries to stand in my way, it won’t be pretty!

-

(These words appear on the screen before abruptly cutting away to Bret Hart, wearing the Intercontinental Title belt around his waist, standing in front of a blue background while upbeat music plays)

BRET HART: Who is Owen Hart? Owen is my little brother. And trust me, I’m more excited than anyone else that my own baby brother is coming to the World Wrestling Federation! But I’m not gonna be the kind of big brother who’s breathing down his little brother’s neck, no way—I know good and well that Owen can take care of himself! So everyone out there better watch out. The real hero of the Hart family is coming very soon!

(The camera shows a full-body shot of Owen Hart, his back turned to the camera as he holds his bright blue and pink cape up with his outstretched arms)

OWEN HART: Bret, my brother, I love you more than anything. And trust me when I say, if I find any nasty business in the WWF, I’ll be ready to make the Hart family proud, and take it down with everything I’ve got!

-Three vignettes for Owen Hart, aired between May 28th and June 25th, 1988

June 6, 1988

WWF
Early reports are that Owen Hart will have his official debut match at Summer Slam. Several vignettes have begun airing hyping his debut …

Reportedly, Terry Taylor has turned down the gimmick they wanted to use for him, so they’ve approached Curt Hennig to see if he wants to use it instead once he debuts. No word on what that gimmick actually is, however …

Another episode of Friday Night’s Main Event will air on 6/17 on NBC. In addition, the network has ordered another Saturday Night’s Main Event to air in July … Both shows will be hyping the upcoming matches for Summer Slam, possibly with the finals of the No. 1 Contender’s tournament (which is heavily rumored to be Savage vs. DiBiase) being held on the July show.

NWA
… There is a possibility that the NWA could be under new ownership. As has been widely rumored for weeks, a deal was proposed by the Crockett organization which would sell the majority of the company to Turner Entertainment. The deal is, as of this writing, before the Acquisitions Committee of Turner, and we should know in a week whether or not it is approved. This writer has been told that Turner will be buying the stock of David, Frances, and Jackie Crockett, but not Jim, who will be kept around as the general manager of the company and run day-to-day operations. Turner will handle the promotions, public relations, and other business activities. If the deal doesn’t go through, the NWA is going to be at a major crossroads this summer. Business-wise, things simply cannot continue to be run as they have been for this group to stay solvent. This is no longer speculation; it’s fact. Things HAVE to change. There are wrestlers that are owed unimaginable sums of money, and gate receipts and pay-per-view buys alone aren’t going to cut the mustard anymore.

WCW
Booking for the company is being handled mostly by Lawler and Jarrett, who appear to be bouncing ideas off one another reasonably well. As we’ve all seen in the past, though, a champion who books himself is almost always a bad thing …

STAMPEDE
With Owen Hart gone, Chris Benoit is definitely the best worker in the promotion right now. His matches have been absolutely dynamite.

OTHER
Roddy Piper is said to be doing alright in Hollywood. “Buy and Cell” is said to be garbage
[2], but “They Live” is getting pretty good reviews. If it continues to do well, Piper will keep his three-movie deal with John Carpenter. If not, he may return to wrestling.

June 9, 1988

Jim Crockett Jr. slowly tapped his pen as he waited for the answer from the man across the table from him. The future of the company that his father had founded more than fifty years ago now was in the hands of one of the richest men in America. He couldn’t help but be nervous at this moment. He wasn’t holding his breath, but he might as well have been.

The face across from Crockett was still reading the papers that contained, quite literally, the future of Jim Crockett Promotions. All of a sudden, the man smacked the stack of papers on the desk with a loud noise and looked up at Crockett. “It’s all settled!” exclaimed Ted Turner, a wide smile across his mustached face. “We at Turner Entertainment are extremely excited to have your company under our wing now, Jim.”

Jim Crockett felt like an elephant had been lifted off his shoulders. This was it—the shares that his younger siblings had in Jim Crockett Promotions now belonged to Ted Turner and his company. He would still stay on as JCP’s general manager, however, so in a way, it was like he wasn’t losing his company—just sort of transferring the financial aspects of it to someone else.

“I’m really lookin’ forward to this, Jim,” said Turner as he rose from his seat. “Y’know, back when you ran that free show on the same day as Wrestlemania, I’ll admit I was upset. I make money off those ‘pay-per-view’ events, too, y’know.” [3]

Crockett shrugged. “Well, it, uh, seemed like a good idea at the time…” he replied sheepishly. “McMahon is my competition, after all, and…”

Turner just held his hand up. “No need to apologize, Jim—it’s all in the past. Myself, I like to focus on the future—the future of this great company!” He began to walk to the other side of the room, where a chalkboard was hanging on the wall. “Now, my first idea of this company concerns its name.”

“Jim Crockett Promotions?” Crockett asked, slightly confused. “Well, obviously, that’s gonna change, now that you…”

“Not that,” Turner said. He grabbed a piece of chalk and began to write the letters ‘NWA’ across the board. “NWA…the National Wrestlin’ Alliance. It dates back a long time, from what I’ve heard?”

Crockett nodded. “Yep, I think it was started in…1948 or 49?” [4]

“Forty years of history,” Turner said matter-of-factly. “But ‘National Wrestlin’ Alliance’ just…doesn’t sound like a company that can go head-to-head with the World Wrestlin’ Federation and Worldwide Championship Wrestlin’. We need a catchy name that’ll draw in viewers…and I’ve got just the one.”

With that, Turner began to write under each letter, until the words “Nonstop Wrestling Action” read vertically on the board. “Nonstop. Wrestlin’. Action. Think about it—it’s like a whole new generation of wrestlin’!”

Crockett’s stomach dropped a little bit. He was current acting president of the National Wrestling Alliance, and changing the name of this illustrious company seemed a little sacrilegious. Over the next half hour or so, Turner continued to try and convince Crockett about how strongly he felt about the name change from “National Wrestling Alliance” to “Nonstop Wrestling Action”—first being applied to the NWA’s weekly television show, and for it to eventually become the name of the company itself. Maybe it was Turner’s charisma, maybe it was his enthusiasm for helping the company compete against Vince McMahon and the Jerrys, or maybe it was the fact that Crockett was just tired of hearing Turner talk. Whatever the reason, in the end, Crockett agreed to the change.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] The debut of this larger snake was foreshadowed back in Post #55, and also as alluded to, the snake bears the name of Roberts’ usual pet snake IOTL.

[2] As OTL—I can’t even find much about this film on Wikipedia!

[3] Turner is referring to Crockett running Clash of the Champions for free on USA head-to-head with Wrestlemania 4, an event that happened in both TTL and OTL.

[4] The former is correct.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy new year, everyone! It’s great to finally be back!

A bit of explanation about my absence, for those of you who care: back around late July, I started suffering from some pretty severe weight-related health issues, and a particularly scary trip to the doctor. I put most of my focus into getting into semi-decent shape, putting my writing, my presence most places online, and several other things on the backburner. While I’m still not quite at my target weight, I’m very pleased to say that I’ve lost about 50 pounds, and currently feel a lot better than I’ve felt in a long time. This timeline has been on my mind a lot, however—I’ve got loads of post-it notes about it on my desk as we speak—and I always intended on coming back to it! Thank you to everyone who has kept on reading and commenting on this timeline. I will be back to updating regularly again very soon!

Coming up: the tournament in the WWF continues, and we see how the newly created “Nonstop Wrestling Action” will kick off its new era with Great American Bash ’88. Also, an unlikely foe rises to at least try to retaliate against Ted Turner.

Last edited:
ming up: the tournament in the WWF continues, and we see how the newly created “Nonstop Wrestling Action” will kick off its new era with Great American Bash ’88. Also, an unlikely foe rises to at least try to retaliate against Ted Turner.
Umm a direct alusion the current TNA?(Total Nonstop Action), that is nice keeping the NWA initials, and is a different name. Still hope Ted is more conservative with contracts ITTL

Great to see this back is the NWA now going to be the LOLTNA of late 80's early 90's wrestling now cause Billionaire Ted isn't exactly inspiring me with confidence. Maybe it's like Quantum Leap and it's Dixie Carter in his body?

Welcome back!

DiBiase beating Roberts with a distraction at the start of the championship tournament is similar to what he did ITTL. In Wrestlemania IV, the first match was DiBiase vs. Hacksaw Jim Duggan. Andre the Giant distracted Duggan by tripping him from outside the ring (Andre yanked his legs out from under him) and when Duggan turned to face Andre, DiBiase unloaded on him and won the match.

In this TL, did Roddy Piper's 1987 film Body Slam get made?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_Slam_(film)

This never saw a theatrical release but did good on cable as it ran frequently in cable channels' rotations throughout the late 1980s, 1990s and even the 2000s!

Great update. Just watched a old Wrestling with Wreget and need to know......is Lonely Virgil still going to be a thing in this ATL?

Next update is coming along at a good pace, and it should be ready soon! Until then, it's back to the old mailbox!

While doing some research about a possible TL I wanted to do about anime going big in the 1980s (which will probably never happen), I came across some unpleasant information. There was a considerable amount of anti-Japanese hysteria in the USA during the 1980s, mainly because they became an economic superpower then.

With Japanese cars displacing American cars on roads, Japanese manufacturing doing the same to American ("Made in Japan" anyone?) plus Japanese firms buying out American icons like Columbia Records and Rockefeller Center, there was a fear in that decade that Japan would take over the United States and possibly the world. Also many WW2 veterans were alive in the 1980s, many of which who fought against Japan and were holding grudges. This has since declined as the 1980s bubble economy of Japan crashed in the early 1990s and even today, Japan still hasn't returned to the prosperity levels of the 1980s.

ITTL, with Japanese creations airing on American television (Hello Kitty, Dragonball, etc) and wrestling's megastar/hero/pop cultural icon being half-Japanese, how are the anti-Japanese sentiments running in Eagleland?

Is it about the same? Is Steamboat weakening this prejudice? Or is he just fanning the flames?

I'd say that on the whole, the prejudice is slightly weakened--for now. However, keep in mind that although Steamboat is proud of his Japanese heritage, still considers himself an all-American guy behind-the-scenes, and he makes sure to emphasize this in the public interviews he does ITTL.

Question: Would the higher prominence of Ricky and the emphasis on Asian things result in the Japanese Wrestling Promotions breaking into the Americas?

As OTL, All Japan and New Japan are the two dominant promotions in Japan (with All Japan Women's Pro Wrestling having a passionate niche audience as well), and because all three are focusing mostly on homegrown talent at the moment, none of them are that interested in expanding into the States just yet.

Can we just not kill off Brody?!

Maybe he's killing Colon. Or Invader 1. Or Tony Atlas. My guess is he worded it that way to deliver THE ULTIMATE SWERVE! (of the week)

All I'm going to say here is: make sure you're reading when the next two updates drop.

Given recent events of the past week, I'm going to be mildly disappointed now (well, not really) if one of the backstage scenes with Vince doesn't have him randomly screaming at someone, "This is such good SHIT!"

How about if I sneak in a "Bad cow" quote, and we'll call it even? ;)

One of my favorite covers of a Tommy James and the Shondells song was this one by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts:

Joan was very good-looking in 1983, IMO...

Since it predates the POD, this song is exactly the same ITTL. And Joan can still belt it out in the present day, which is a great thing.

You've just butterflied away Owen's early death. Incredible.

I guess it should come as no surprise that I had always intended to save Owen ITTL. It should also come as no surprise that, given previous updates, I intend to make him a much bigger star than OTL.

Umm a direct alusion the current TNA?(Total Nonstop Action), that is nice keeping the NWA initials, and is a different name. Still hope Ted is more conservative with contracts ITTL.

Yep, "Nonstop Wrestling Action" is indeed a nod to TNA's initials! Also, a small spoiler: the company won't just keep the NWA initials, they'll also keep the linear NWA Championship as a top title...

Turner indeed still has the money to throw around, but time will tell if he offers big money to big wrestling names ITTL...

One question: Will Owen kick Bret's leg out of his leg ITTL?

If he does, they'll settle it at the In Your Hase pay-per-view!

Well done about the weight loss dude, and I'm glad to see this back. :p

Thank you! I'm glad to be back!

Great to see this back is the NWA now going to be the LOLTNA of late 80's early 90's wrestling now cause Billionaire Ted isn't exactly inspiring me with confidence. Maybe it's like Quantum Leap and it's Dixie Carter in his body?

Time will tell! (About the LOLTNA stuff, obviously...Dixie Carter is no Scott Bakula in any timeline! 😆)

Great update. Just watched a old Wrestling with Wreget and need to know......is Lonely Virgil still going to be a thing in this ATL?

Virgil's career is on much the same trajectory as OTL: that is to say, a great silent enforcer for the Million Dollar Man, and if/when he turns on him, a midcard babyface act. The "Lonely Virgil" meme is probably almost certainly butterflied away, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.