A Blunted Sickle - Thread II

My oldest Email address that I still use dates from around 1993.

Ooooh! Geek one-upmanship! :)

1985 for me, one of the first few hundred domains to issue. Addresses older than mine are very, very rare; I don't know for sure that there are any still in live use, though I'd guess there are probably a dozen or two - most likely contact or administrative addresses at universities with very early Internet access.

Last edited:

Orry

Donor
Monthly Donor
Ooooh! Geek one-upmanship! :)

1985 for me, one of the first few hundred domains to issue. Addresses older than mine are very, very rare; I don't know for sure that there are any still in live use, though I'd guess there are probably a dozen or two - most likely contact or administrative addresses at universities with very early Internet access.

LOL

I had work ones from earlier but I no longer use them.

I worked for the British Government CCTA many years ago and was involved with the Group working on computer standards including EPHOS and GOSIP.

We used X.400 email to allow the members in different countries to talk to each other. I set up and ran our X.400 mail server.

I understand there's been some rationalization of aircraft production by the Anglo-French in this timeline, but using the search bar for this thread and the previous thread there doesn't seem to be as yet a definitive answer to one of the British projects.

The Short S.32 - a transatlantic British airliner.

G-AFMK.jpg

275MPH at 25,000ft with a range of 3,370 miles (about 25% more than the Halifax which was mentioned at the bottom of P.208 of the old thread). Historically it had begun production at Rochester with three examples being worked on until May 1940 when France fell and the space was needed for Short Stirlings. It looks like would have been suitable for conversion to long range maritime patrol (mid Atlantic gap?) like the FW-200 or maybe long distance transport at altitude (Burma-Kunming?).

I’ve tried to shoehorn that in a few times, but no matter what I do it just doesn’t work. Once you give a Stirling air refueling - and Shorts were the world experts in OTL from their flying boat work and were building a modified Stirling before it was destroyed in a bombing raid during the BoB - it’s just a better aircraft in every way and already in production.
Postwar it’s painfully obsolete - the Constellation is already flying and is better at just about everything.

Ok, longer answer since I’m stuck waiting for recovery after my wife crashed her car (she’s fine but it’s probably a write-off).

UK airliners weren’t great pre-war: no real domestic market, some government work and quite a bit of very long distance mail. The US has a much stronger domestic market, and this shows: it also warps the requirements - the DC-3 would probably have been a bad fit for BOAC.
ITTL, the UK (as OTL) isn’t thinking about after the war very much. When they do it’s likely to be in the context of the OTL Brabazon committee our something like it - which came up with a load of bad requirements. Some things will be a little different: jets are more advanced and the UK has more money.

UK airliners weren’t great pre-war: no real domestic market, some government work and quite a bit of very long distance mail. The US has a much stronger domestic market, and this shows: it also warps the requirements - the DC-3 would probably have been a bad fit for BOAC.
ITTL, the UK (as OTL) isn’t thinking about after the war very much. When they do it’s likely to be in the context of the OTL Brabazon committee our something like it - which came up with a load of bad requirements. Some things will be a little different: jets are more advanced and the UK has more money.

BOAC was at least as much a problem as the Committee, and it was also overtaken by technology, in particular turboprop development. If Comets, had a little more development to spot the square window issue, they had the potential to be the first generation jetliner, and the turboprop Ambassador, Viscount, and Britannia were competitive.

Probably one of the biggest changes, though, is that without a war in Africa, India or the Far East, there are a lot less tarmac airstrips, and a lot less airstrips total, around the world. This will dramatically change the postwar air environment in terms of what aircraft are acceptable for what routes, and what the stops will be. It's entirely likely that something like the Short Sandringham or Saro Princess would have a place due to this, as in more remote locations the lower infrastructure requirements of flying boats are still quite important.

An odd thought in terms of the (Czecho)slovak advance. The quickest way for the British to get to places like Krakow (and a good chunk of Southern Poland won't be through Wavell though Posan, it will be Ritchie meeting up with the CZ advance and then riding the rails the other way Teschen. Which perversely means that the bombing of the railroads at Dresden will end up slowing them down...

And for a really odd question about Poland...

Who is the General Stülpnagel in charge of the German 8th Division in Poland? Is it General of the Infantry Carl-Heinrich von Stülpnagel or his cousin Otto von Stülpnagel? (The first iOTL was part of the July 20th Bomb Plot) Both are entirely possible, but I'm thinking Otto as he managed to go the entire war without a fighting command.

And for a really odd question about Poland...

Who is the General Stülpnagel in charge of the German 8th Division in Poland? Is it General of the Infantry Carl-Heinrich von Stülpnagel or his cousin Otto von Stülpnagel? (The first iOTL was part of the July 20th Bomb Plot) Both are entirely possible, but I'm thinking Otto as he managed to go the entire war without a fighting command.

I honestly don't remember which one I was thinking of when I assigned him to the 8th Army command. As I was looking for a German general in the OTL who had occupation duty experience rather than one who held a field command (this 8th Army is really just a renaming of the Lublin military district), it was probably Otto rather than Carl-Heinrich.

I honestly don't remember which one I was thinking of when I assigned him to the 8th Army command. As I was looking for a German general in the OTL who had occupation duty experience rather than one who held a field command (this 8th Army is really just a renaming of the Lublin military district), it was probably Otto rather than Carl-Heinrich.
Given his history iOTL, his uncomfortableness with Large scale executions for assassination of Nazi officers and a general effort focused on getting France's military abilities to help the Reich and opposing the SS's focus on Racial Purity, my guess is he is *very* unhappy iTTL's Poland. It is entirely possible that at this point, he's had the Nervous Breakdown that he had just about at this time iOTL (15 December 1941) and thus the Nazi military in Poland is effectively leaderless. Given that, I expect there will be a ATL written in this TL where Stalin decides that invading Poland is worth the risk.

4th January 1942

The central units of First Army reaches the river Havel at Spandau, where for the first time since starting their attack a week ago they meet determined resistance. No attempt is made to fight their way through this, because on their flanks other units have already crossed it at Potsdam and Orianenburg and are heading eastwards as fast as they can. Wavell's plan is to surround Berlin first before fighting his way in, in order to ensure that the civilian and military leadership are unable to escape from the city to elsewhere in Germany.

Further north, 4th Army reaches the line Schleswig-Husen against nonexistent resistance and grinds to a halt for lack of petrol. An urgent signal is sent to the RN liaison officer in Hamburg asking for him if he can arrange for a petrol barge to be sent to Tönning to resupply them.
Meanwhile, the eastern branch of 4th Army's advance (which has been assigned most of the petrol tankers) has also run out of steam themselves having reached the line Rostock-Güstrow, also facing almost non-existent opposition. However, in their case they will have to wait for the engineers to re-open the Hamburg - Hagenow – Güstrow line: given how hard they are being worked elsewhere in Germany this will probably be at least two weeks.

On the right flank of the British Army, Alexander's 2nd Army are still static through lack of petrol and growing increasingly frustrated at having to watch their comrades make huge advances against crumbling resistance. Things are slightly better for 3rd Army however, which has started to receive a trickle of petrol and is therefore able to leap forward and occupy Leipzig. Ritchie has been promised a trainload of petrol by the afternoon of the 6th, which should be sufficient to enable his forces to reach Dresden and maybe even the Czechoslovak border.

Further south, the French reach the suburbs of Stuttgart, with progress actually being slightly better than the day before due to slightly improved weather allowing more use of air power. With the PoWs west of the Rhine starting to come fully under control, Giraud's men are freed up to start attacking again and are able to reach the outskirts of Frankfurt before dusk.

Finally, in Czechoslovakia the advance in the centre grinds to a halt after the Germans are finally able to put together enough men to tear up the rail lines in the approaches to Prague and form an effective blocking position to stop the Czechs leapfrogging them. The Czechoslovak army is still able to move forward on both flanks however, and reaches the German border at Nové Údolí and crosses it to capture the village of Haidmühle.