The Anglo/American - Nazi War

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty surely any president and PM in 2019 is someone who we don't know in OTL. Probably someone wh is not even born in OTL. Remember that POD is around Battle of Stalingrad so there is much of butterflies.
Only certainty is it won't be Modi as the ultra religious parties seem both weaker and considered a problem ITTL.

Finally, I have not only caught up with this magnificent timeline itself but all of the epilogue posts. I kept a small list of questions to ask that I can finally write out:

I checked and years ago I wrote my first question here about how did Latvia and the other Baltics fare in the war and you said that, apart from Lithuania who were damn near depopulated, we had it bad but not as bad as Poland with us losing north of half of our population, which is only somewhat worse than WW1.
This time I wanted to ask about the Nazi destruction of European cities during their retreat from the Wallies - how much was Eastern Europe affected in comparison to the West? The Wallies came from the West for the most part so any Nazis retreating from the East would have been rushing to man the Rommel Rhine defences - apart from Warsaw and Moscow that were deliberate attempts at demolishing a city, how did other cities fare, that were at that point yet untouched? In my case, I'm curious about Riga - especially considering that it's medieval old-town was made by German settlers 800 years ago.

Also, I'm guessing that the ATL Baltics are pretty straight 3rd world countries here, no? How would you compare the average german statelet with the rest of Eastern Europe, economically and socially? Speaking of them, Is there any Baltic involvement in German statelet garrisoning?

If we discount the mess in Europe, Japan and China - the rest of the TTL world is actually better off and, on average, a bit more wealthy than OTL. Their space-travel capabilities are ahead of ours, as is their nuclear and fusion research, and the deep-sea mining. Unless I remember incorrectly, OTL was ahead by about a decade or less in terms of general military tech, electronics and somewhat substantially ahead in terms of stealth technology - but apart from these minor advantages and most of Eurasia not being a part of the 3rd world - where would you say we are without a shred of doubt ahead of TTL? Especially socially, since things in America, in particular, turned out so relatively well in comparison to OTL that I had a very minute feeling of the epilogue turning a bit in the direction of, dare I say, a wank for the West. Though I 'm not really criticizing - sometimes it's hard to imagine things turning out better when you go through things when they were the hardest, thinking that that should be the norm and anything better is impossible.

Twenty years of Nazi indoctrination of the masses will leave near-permanent social scars - how do modern-day ITTL German youths differ from their peers abroad? Some residue effects of Nazi indoctrination of their parents and grandparents should still be left, no? Do women suffer from some psychological issues in relation to shame about not being able to give birth to huge litters of kids like their predecessors did? Are there secret wall pictures or statues to honour the Fuhrer found in many basements/attics of many houses? Do modern Germans long for the ''good old'' days? Or did Stettin finalize the nails in that coffin?

Lastly, you've said you're going to be writing out the Warm War, but would you ever consider writing out a short, more ASB snippet about, say, OTL conversing with TTL? Ala man in the high castle communication between the two realities? I wonder how the two sides would accuse each other of war crimes and how the A4 would view a united and relatively prosperous Germany.

Last edited:
I have read it but I was thinking of the two modern day TLs being linked instead of an ISOT
If it were our world then for us "There but by the grace of God go I." The Nazi's actions would be considered horrifying and some of the A4's actions... questionable at best.

For the AANWverse they'd probably be disgusted by all the evil we (in their eyes) "let happen," as I think we can safely assume things like Rwanda or ISIS would not be allowed to happen ITTL.

I have read it but I was thinking of the two modern day TLs being linked instead of an ISOT
I'd like to see a scenario where a rift opens in 2007 linking the two sides. Preferably if it opens in Stettin/Szczecin before the A4 nuked the former.

That was a good read as well. I'd say how the Reich and the OTL world's reaction to each other would be how it would go down. I would LOVE to see how the A4 would react to a very prosperous and advanced Europe with an intact and democratic Germany and vice versa. Would @CalBear be interested in writing such a story?

Their response would be "this is a fairy tale" or "this is a Europe wank!"

A Germany that is not only united with Europe under the banner of global integration, but has worked so hard to atone for its crimes that Jews willingly live in Berlin would be incomprehensible.

Plus the idea of a Paris that still stands would move them to tears.

Their response would be "this is a fairy tale" or "this is a Europe wank!"

A Germany that is not only united with Europe under the banner of global integration, but has worked so hard to atone for its crimes that Jews willingly live in Berlin would be incomprehensible.

Plus the idea of a Paris that still stands would move them to tears.

I'd like to see how relations would be between the two areas and with AANW India as well, especially with a Europe having a space program and the ISS (if it comes along too).

I'd like to see how relations would be between the two areas and with AANW India as well, especially with a Europe having a space program and the ISS (if it comes along too).

Well...

I can imagine there would be a bit of wariness. But I think the AANW would be relieved with OTL Germany. Remember, they see their division of Germany as a strategic plan to prevent World War III. An OTL United Germany that proves to be democratic would be a weight off their shoulders.

How has woman's rights progressed ITTL, @CalBear ?

Has a prolonged military defense spending binge led to greater acceptance of woman in the workforce? When the guns fell silent in 1960, were women sent back home like in the OTL 1940s?

Has the Nazi glorification of the "hausfrau" and "kinder, kuche, kirche" made the OTL Cult of Domesticity unpalatable?

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
How has woman's rights progressed ITTL, @CalBear ?

Has a prolonged military defense spending binge led to greater acceptance of woman in the workforce? When the guns fell silent in 1960, were women sent back home like in the OTL 1940s?

Has the Nazi glorification of the "hausfrau" and "kinder, kuche, kirche" made the OTL Cult of Domesticity unpalatable?
Women had been "out of the house" for to long for things to simply snap back. It isn't really a reaction to the Reich, its simply that an entire generation grew up with women working outside the home simply being "normal".

That cat isn't headed back into the bag.

SsgtC

Banned
Women had been "out of the house" for to long for things to simply snap back. It isn't really a reaction to the Reich, its simply that an entire generation grew up with women working outside the home simply being "normal".

This just made me think of something. IOTL, once the war was over, those women that enlisted in the various branches were almost all uniformly discharged and returned to civilian life. ITTL, some women will have been in uniform for nearly 20 years now. (I'm thinking of women like Bea Arthur who enlisted in the Marine Corps and were promoted to the Staff NCO ranks). How has the military's attitude towards women in the military changed? And have any women been promoted to senior ranks (either enlisted or officer)?

So by ITTL 1965, two parents working wouldn't be seen as remotely unusual? And workplace sexism is far, far less tolerated?

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
This just made me think of something. IOTL, once the war was over, those women that enlisted in the various branches were almost all uniformly discharged and returned to civilian life. ITTL, some women will have been in uniform for nearly 20 years now. (I'm thinking of women like Bea Arthur who enlisted in the Marine Corps and were promoted to the Staff NCO ranks). How has the military's attitude towards women in the military changed? And have any women been promoted to senior ranks (either enlisted or officer)?
Again it is similar to the work question. Women are simply part of the military, although there was the same sort of reluctance to move women into combat arms (the idea was women could handle administrative tasks, but grunts be grunts). That changed over the years, slightly more quickly than IOTL. Same as IOTL the first breakthrough was in aircrew. Women had been doing ferry flight for years, many were even instructors, so it was really difficult to keep that glass ceiling in place post war. Surface warships were the next to have mixed crews, not there were not more than a few issues early on. The orbits and Lunar bases are entirely coed, to the point that that the Moon postings are a subject of much debate regarding the possibility of raising children there (so far that has been a big NO WAY, but the issue isn't going away, and the only remaining stopper is the possible medical issues if someone spent years growing up in 1/6G and then came to Earth when parents retired/mustered out).

Status
Not open for further replies.