Die young and leave a booby trapped corpse I say! A redoubt doesn't need to be large, just a small crew in a bunker or shoal of submarines with a missile delivery system.

This rather misses the point that the "dying" bit is optional. And if you're spending what would inevitably be enormous amounts of your money and resources on far-off redoubts or colonies…? Well, that makes your homeland much likelier to die.

I was only joking....mostly. I like to lobby for Ireland getting colonies as someplace to retreat to should things go tits up and the fascists overrun the mainland. I'm also the same person arguing for Ireland to go full North Korea style self-sufficiency and militarization to try and bleed the fascists white and make conquering the island an insanely costly an endeavour.

I was thinking that an Irish antarctic colony would start off as some sort of scientific outpost or coaling station set up before the war, quitely forgotten about by everyone until the apocalypse and it's like 50 residents becomes the last bastion of Irish culture, like a twisted Vault-tec experiment

The thing is, Antarctica is not habitable as a self-sustaining civilisation with the technology of the modern day, let alone the mid-20th century, for what I presume are obvious reasons. We can maintain Antarctic research bases even today only by continuous transportation of resources from afar. If shipments stopped, the researchers there would all die, cold and hungry. And even in some weird parallel universe where Antarctica is a temperate paradise, the logistics of transporting any remotely sizeable fraction of the Irish people to Antarctica are super impractical. What's the point of spending a huge amount of resources trying to accomplish something which could only save a tiny handful of people, when that would mean abandoning the (much more realistic and likely-to-succeed) effort to save all of them?

I do not for a moment believe that Ireland's best chance of survival in TTL is improbable plans of far-off 'redoubts'/colonies, as expensive pointless sinks of much-needed money and manpower. I think Ireland's best chance of survival in TTL is to work with its allies and spend its money and manpower at home, not in colonies, to fight off the inevitable attempt at fascist invasion. To borrow an ironically chosen turn of phrase, "fight them on the beaches, fight them on the landing grounds, fight them in the fields and in the streets… never surrender". That is, as ever, the best and only hope.

Welp, now we know what the "After the Madness" thread is going to be about ;)
YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS
This rather misses the point that the "dying" bit is optional. And if you're spending what would inevitably be enormous amounts of your money and resources on far-off redoubts or colonies…? Well, that makes your homeland much likelier to die.
That implies that the "dying" bit is optional. The British isles long since passed the point of no return. They're both proxies for two faction leaders and are right nextdoor to one another. They're both going down and life will be scoured from both islands forever. The homeland of the Pinnacle Anglo-Saxon Race will pass into legend as Atlantis did before it.

Now obsessed with a Madnessverse version of a Medieval America thread!

Speaking of medieval times, we could see Europa turn into a Game of Thrones-like mess of infighting between the surviving members of the Bonaparte-Habsburg web. I think something like that was mentioned in the original version as well.

I do not for a moment believe that Ireland's best chance of survival in TTL is improbable plans of far-off 'redoubts'/colonies, as expensive pointless sinks of much-needed money and manpower. I think Ireland's best chance of survival in TTL is to work with its allies and spend its money and manpower at home, not in colonies, to fight off the inevitable attempt at fascist invasion. To borrow an ironically chosen turn of phrase, "fight them on the beaches, fight them on the landing grounds, fight them in the fields and in the streets… never surrender". That is, as ever, the best and only hope.
Like I said, me lobbying for Irish colonies are mostly for giggles. I'm well aware of the difficulties a country like Ireland would face trying to run a colony in peacetime let alone full blown war. The sheer horrific way my homeland was screwed in the original thread (poison gassed, weaponized plagues, ethnic cleansing, american colonization) is why I'm constantly joking for the Irish to have somewhere to cling onto their culture and freedom as an "F-you" to the fascists. I find the idea that despite the americans hatred and attempted extermination of my people, we always find a way to cling on and survive to annoy them another day to be hilarious, in a dark humor kind of way

@Napoleon53

Just thought of something.

I might use this if I ever make a TL, but if you ever need an alt!ORRA, I just thought of an acronym.

The BPP (Bureau of Piety and Purity/Bureau of Purity and Piety), or maybe the BPPL (Bureau of Purity, Piety, and Loyalty).

So I was just pondering who could be a good leader of the Russian Loomies from about 1930ish onwards and I've found him...

Vladimir Nabokov

If anything is more Madness than a Classical Liberal Mondernist Writer obsessed with Chess Problems and Butterflies becoming dictator then I don't know what is.

So I was just pondering who could be a good leader of the Russian Loomies from about 1930ish onwards and I've found him...

Vladimir Nabokov

If anything is more Madness than a Classical Liberal Mondernist Writer obsessed with Chess Problems and Butterflies becoming dictator then I don't know what is.

Ayrn Rand would also problly be a high ranking memaber of the lommie goverment. I belive i herd that lommie are both caplist and athiest like anyrn rand

Ayrn Rand would also problly be a high ranking memaber of the lommie goverment. I belive i herd that lommie are both caplist and athiest like anyrn rand

Perhaps a power sturggle between Rand and Nabokov results in the lommies losing the madness verison of world war 2

Cmon we all know who we want to be Loomie dictator of Russia
upload_2019-11-4_18-52-50.jpeg

He’s still an occultist, just one that rejects Christianity! And he can still be Russia’s greatest love machine

I have to say, I loved the Halloween update. I really enjoyed reading about the Lovecraftian creatures that were invading Philadelphia, including the Cthulu creature and the chimera creatures as well. Reading about the Occult stuff was really eerie and cool as well. The fact that it was all Joe Steele's dream made sense as well.

Napoleon, I have two questions; In this version of the Madenssverse, does Joe Steele never find out the truth about his parents just like Chuck Oswald? Also, will the Confederation of the Carolinas ever be annexed by the Republican Union? I feel like it would only make sense for Joe Steele to go ahead and do it before he dies.

Napoleon, I have two questions; In this version of the Madenssverse, does Joe Steele never find out the truth about his parents just like Chuck Oswald? Also, will the Confederation of the Carolinas ever be annexed by the Republican Union? I feel like it would only make sense for Joe Steele to go ahead and do it before he dies.
I think it was said earlier that he never learns his origin, just that it's a rumor that deeply unnerves him. As for the latter I'm against annexation of the Cokies. Increasing hostility and wacky cultural misunderstandings sure but Carolina is the closest the RU has to a friend

I have to say, I loved the Halloween update. I really enjoyed reading about the Lovecraftian creatures that were invading Philadelphia, including the Cthulu creature and the chimera creatures as well. Reading about the Occult stuff was really eerie and cool as well. The fact that it was all Joe Steele's dream made sense as well.

I think it was said earlier that he never learns his origin, just that it's a rumor that deeply unnerves him. As for the latter I'm against annexation of the Cokies. Increasing hostility and wacky cultural misunderstandings sure but Carolina is the closest the RU has to a friend
I don’t think Joe Steele will finish the Carolinas, Chuckie Oswald though..........

I don’t think Joe Steele will finish the Carolinas, Chuckie Oswald though..........

Considering Oswald was mad enough to nuke american cities in 1.0 for rebelling against him and thought that was sensible strategy, who knows what Oswald will conjure up with Carolina, maybe he uses the treatment of blacks in Carolina as sufficient casus belli to go in and it's a very unpopular war since many Americans still like Carolina also Oswald coming in to save the blacks would be a nice twist in irony given what his 1.0 version did.