Of Rajahs and Hornbills: A timeline of Brooke Sarawak

Looking at the prewar map, and considering Sarawak's de facto annexation of Sabah and now full annexation of most of Brunei, Sarawak really does seem o have good assets going forward.

Italy is out of Borneo, and Sarawak seems certain to get Sabah officially when the war ends. The Final Partition of Brunei not only practically eliminates Brunei as a potential rival, but also limits British influence in Borneo through a more robust protectorate.

In short Sarawak seem poised to dominate Borneo to a whole new degree. The British Empire of course is a greater power but their focus is split on global scale. Likewise the DEI despite controlling more of Borneo has to split its assets and focus across the whole DEI and the interests of their metropole. By contrast Sarawak can focus on building its status and influence in Borneo to a far greater degree.

Of course it will not be easy, opportunity only matters if one can seize it after all. And Sarawak's military while victorious in the recent wars has been shown that its valor and cunning do not match with the sheer terrifying power of modern warfare, a disadvantage that will only increase with time and facing more organized foes. The traditional war expeditions still have their use for now in the interior, perhaps in Sabah, and the former Brunei hinterland, but this is the last generation in which that warfare style will be relevant internally; and externally the sooner modernization begins the better.

But a just a modern military added to the existing Sarawak won't be enough. To even support such an institution for quality and scale to matter will require new infrastructure. And that means economic changes with more industrialization and travel infrastructure. Taxes to fund things. More standardization and public education too. In short the Brookes traditional respect of well, tradition, will have to tempered with a drive to advance a nation which has in many places not entered the 19th century to enter the 20th.

A difficult task not just for the opposition surely to arise, but even for the advocates reconciling it with what will be seen by many as a violation of core values of the kingdom.

Would Brunei be capable of surviving as a sovereign state with that territory? Might as well make Clayton the rajah of Brunei and join Sarawak. In that way, the Bruneian Empire is technically restored, just ruled by another dynasty. :winkytongue:

Would Brunei be capable of surviving as a sovereign state with that territory? Might as well make Clayton the rajah of Brunei and join Sarawak. In that way, the Bruneian Empire is technically restored, just ruled by another dynasty. :winkytongue:

It can be done. Just look at Singapore. :3

To those who are just stumbling into the timeline, my last update is on the previous page. :)

Looking at the prewar map, and considering Sarawak's de facto annexation of Sabah and now full annexation of most of Brunei, Sarawak really does seem o have good assets going forward.

[...]

But a just a modern military added to the existing Sarawak won't be enough. To even support such an institution for quality and scale to matter will require new infrastructure. And that means economic changes with more industrialization and travel infrastructure. Taxes to fund things. More standardization and public education too. In short the Brookes traditional respect of well, tradition, will have to tempered with a drive to advance a nation which has in many places not entered the 19th century to enter the 20th.

A difficult task not just for the opposition surely to arise, but even for the advocates reconciling it with what will be seen by many as a violation of core values of the kingdom.

I can’t say what the future shall hold for our dear Brooke family and the Kingdom of Sarawak (because… well, spoilers) but I can say that you are absolutely correct regarding the internal conflict between age-old traditions and the modern world. In fact, the tradition vs. modernity conflict will be the great debate of Sarawak and her people throughout the 20th century, and both concepts shall shape the kingdom in so many ways.

I must drop in and say that while Singapore is the modern poster child for a successful microstate, it did so in a very traumatic fashion. The island was kicked out of the Malaysian federation in 1965 after just two years of union, with a high unemployment rate and bad social indicators – race riots exploded in 1964 and 1969. With little to no resources and racial tensions a simmering problem, the government instituted a massive economic restructuring around trade and manufacturing, which was aided by the island’s strategic location.

This policy eventually worked out and today, Singapore is practically leaps and bounds ahead of neighbouring Malaysia. But the process also created a government that is practically stifling in terms of rigidity and power – there are murky reasons why only one political party has reigned supreme since independence.

Coming back to Brunei, going the Singapore model is one solution for regaining her prominence, but the Bruneian court must have some initial capital wealth first to kickstart the process. The problem is, almost all of Brunei’s wealth is essentially annexed into Sarawak, so kickstarting mass-industry will be a somewhat steeper hill to climb.

One article from Cilisos.my (yes, I know :oops:) states how there was a large smallpox epidemic that decimated them. With things in TTL Sarawak being what they are, I decided to throw them a bone and knock-off the plague from happening. Their hygiene issues are a cause for concern though, and the recordings from the Westerners accompanying Clayton Brooke will induce a lot of people (read: missionaries) to the highlands to ‘save their souls’, regardless of Sarawakian opposition

The missionaries IOTL have a good record on the highlanders. In fact, they rules lawyering their faith when the Japanese executed their priests and pastors. By smuggling the rest of them and Allied pilots to their pagan brothers upriver.

"Hey, we can't lie, steal and kill, so we relegate the duty to our pagan brothers!" :V

As one villager put it, recorded in Clayton’s journal, “You have lesser taxes.”

Ironic. Penghulu Manang Asun IOTL rebelled against Charles Vyner due to taxes, or unequal imposement of one.

Back then the tax is equal to a jar of rice per household. However, not all people can afford the tax. A widow* with few children and a small patch of land couldn't possibly afford the tax.

Hope Clayton(or Lily) could rectify it by reform the tax code. There would be a lot pf widows post-war...

*It wad litarally the reason of the rebellion. He saw a widow in his longhouse struggle to make ends meet.

Last edited:
Ironic. Penghulu Manang Asun IOTL rebelled against Charles Vyner due to taxes, or unequal imposement of one.

Back then the tax is equal to a jar of rice per household. However, not all people can afford the tax. A widow* with few children and a small patch of land couldn't possibly afford the tax.

Hope Clayton(or Lily) could rectify it by reform the tax code. There would be a lot pf widows post-war...

*It wad litarally the reason of the rebellion. He saw a widow in his longhouse struggle to make ends meet.

One of the most surreal things I learnt from researching old-time Sarawak and Brunei was just how different everyone viewed taxes. Many Sarawakians, especially the interior Dayaks, saw them as excessive and sometimes even punitive, but many Bruneians saw their own taxes as harsher and just plain cruel. This was really exemplified from the 1890’s to the 1910’s when the sultanate raised taxes to incredible heights and sparked the Belait and Tutong rebellions that nearly ended the state altogether.

From what I can gather, the root cause of Penghulu Manang Asun’s rebellion was the increased bureaucracy and standardization of administration across Sarawak during the 1920’s (though I’d argue the mishandling of it all also caused the state to stagnate till WWII – in the Sibu Division alone, a single Resident and three subordinates juggled ruling a city-region of over 20,000 people). Given the need for the kingdom to modernize (even if just a bit) to keep pace with the world ITTL, some measure of standardization is inevitable, but the process could have been a lot kinder to the locals and a lot better administered.

In all, the issue of taxation and war widows isn’t going away from the Brookes’ minds, especially Clayton’s. In fact, these issues are going to form one of the biggest after-effects of the Great War in Sarawak and shall shape future policy decisions for decades. Besides that, I did state that, pre-war, the Bintulu and Niah river basins simmered in discontent.

Guess which region of Sarawak is going to blow up on Rajah Clayton’s feet as soon as he returns back to Kuching. :happyblush

Last edited:
Interlude: A promise. A memory. A Rajah's deepest secret
wwf_my_zora_chan -  Rice field in Ba'Kelalan.jpg

Valley of Ba’Kelalan, Kingdom of Sarawak – deep in the interior highlands, 18 May 1907

“…We could stay here. Forever.”

“Hmm.”

A smile. “That did not sound like a ‘no’.”

A kiss. “I did not say ‘yes’, either.”

A cool wind rustled the golden fields, and Usop had never seen a sight more beautiful. In all his life, he had seen incredible things – the dawning sun off the Natuna islands, the soaring peaks of Kinabalu at midday – but never thought the deepest highlands of Sarawak would shelter the loveliest valleys, resplendent with fields of burgeoning rice. Two months ago, he never thought such a place even existed; the coming harvest has turned the fields into rippling carpets of living gold, as if some god had unfurled the most exquisite cloth on the rain-blessed ground. Despite some parts of the valley being plundered and burned, the local villagers had successfully fought-off arriving marauders for their food and waters, and the Melanau man could see why. Nothing on this world could be more stunning.

Well, except for the man beside him. “That kiss says otherwise, I say.”

Usop turned his head, and his companion never looked more peaceful than before. His lips and eyes crinkled a quiet smile. “What do you think?”

Usop gazed at him, expression turning fond. The pair had snuck out from the longhouse, taking advantage of a day’s respite from battle to settle down and enjoy what little time they have. Although treated as honoured guests, Usop and his lover found the attentiveness of the local Lun Bawangs a detriment to their personal time, and a sleepy mid-afternoon devoid of war provided the perfect cover to be themselves under the shade of the trees.

His gaze shifted slightly downwards, across the man’s scarred-full arms. He wondered why they haven’t twined their hands yet. He did that now.

“Us. Here. Forever.”

“Yes.”

Usop ‘hmmed’ in soft exasperation. “Do you know how to farm?”

His companion did the same. “No. But I know how to hunt.”

“Do you know these mountains?”

“No. But I can learn.”

“The locals will spot you easily. You are different.”

“Who knows? By some years, I may be as familiar to them as any villager.”

Usop laughed. By their twined hands alone, he could see just how different was his significant other. “There will be rumours about you all across Borneo!”

At that, the man’s soft smile disappeared. Usop realized what he had just said.

“Oh. Oh no. I’m…”

“Please don’t.” His eyes closed shut, as if trying to unsee a sight only he could. Usop knew exactly what. Down his arm, he could feel his lover’s twined fingers tightening their grip on his own.

“Please. Let’s just… let’s just stay here… and forget the world.”

Usop stayed silent, kicking himself in his head for the friendly jibe. Another light wind blew across his face, and the golden paddy before him rustled with the sound of a million voices. The Lun Bawang believe that every grain of rice has a spirit, and he wondered if they were whispering on the pair’s hideaway. At his mistake of words. Of his partner’s wish to be invisible.

Slowly, Usop took his other arm and placed it on his companion’s shoulder. Then, he pushed them both on the ground, lying on-side. He embraced him. Through the well-worn shirt and scent of earth, Usop could breathe another smell; A smell that was truly different from all those whom he knew. Beneath that, he could feel his companion’s heart thumping deeply and madly like an old and worn drum. Just a few uses away from breaking apart.

“I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.”

“I know.”

“I wish we could do that. I really do. To be in a place where no one will look at us like that… I want that more than anything.”

Usop tightened his embrace. “But… I know who you are. You will try and make sure you’ll make things right, and you’ll want to hear the happenings here and there, across the island. And I know that one day… not now, not soon, but one day… you will hear what has happened at home in your absence… and you’ll feel… guilty.

His love sighed. A sob wretched out. “For once, I just want to be selfish. Just once. It’s unfair.”

Usop held him tighter. “I know. I know.”

For how long he embraced him, Usop didn’t know. The dappled shadows of the trees cast patterns of light on the earth, and around them, but Usop was more concerned with soothing his significant other. O trees, please keep our secret a secret.

After sometime, the heart-thumpings subsided. Usop slowly relinquished his embrace, though not before entwining their hands again. The forearms of their limbs were pattered with scars, reminders of why they were both in the deepest of Borneo. Usop wondered if they could also tell another story.

His companion’s face was streaked with tears, his eyes closed. But Usop knew he was still seeing in his mind, gazing beyond the fields. Beyond the mountains. Beyond the forests and rivers and falls of Sarawak. He knew what his partner is thinking of: Kuching. The Astana. The throne. And his mother, concerned for her widowed daughter and unwed son.

And maybe, perhaps, of his elder brother’s face when he discovered them, so many months ago.

Usop’s words came from the heart. “I’ll always love you, Ayang. Forever.”

His companion opened his eyes. Tears and anger. Sadness and determination.

His words came from the soul. “I’ll never stop loving you.”

The wind blew, and the trees and paddy fields whispered back their kept secret.

PadiFields_ST_20140702.jpg

Catherine Margare Tonek, Clayton Brooke: The Rajah of Transition, (Bimasakti Press: 2000)

…To be more precise, when Clayton Brooke breathed his last, surrounded by friends and family, he rasped out; “I left my heart there, in the rice-valleys. In the fields of living gold. I want to go back.”

Notes:

I can now finally say it, after a year of hinting at it! This is the secret that breached Clayton’s relationship with his twin brother, just before the Great War. It was this relationship that was in his thoughts whilst staging the battle of Seria, days later. Usop was the one who comforted him when he faced the aftermath of the Askari’s atrocities in Sabah. Above all, it was his companion’s face that Clayton spotted in the crowds on his coronation day, giving him the strength and determination to acclaim the title of Rajah.

It is his deepest, most intimate desire, and the memories will shadow him for the rest of his life.

Language note: Ayang = corruption of the Malay word Sayang = My dear, or, My love.

See you all in September!

The war is still ongoing, correct? I cannot yet see any indication that one side or the other is winning big.

As long as Sarawak gets Sabah and is not forced to return the last valuable pieces of Brunei, Sarawak seems to be out of places to expand into until the DEI collapses or falls into civil war.

Serendipitously, there is an actual film on James Brooke currently under production, though little info has been released on when it shall be released. I am… hoping that the flick will be respectful to local audiences and culture (a Brooke descendant is also taking part, so that’s a major plus) but I think the sheer premise will make it controversial to some people, somewhere, anyhow. :noexpression:

Oh, this is interesting indeed. As for controversy - it's seems to generally be best to just ignore people who take offense at minor things. Malaysia is far enough and sane enough to probably do just that.

Singapore was, even prior to independence, a major port city, with capacity to handle freight passing through and placed in one of the most optimal locations in the world in regards to controlling trade - only Suez and the Pillars of Hercules may be said to control more vital trade routes. The locals just managed to really capitalize on that.

I've seen a lot of songs and stories about unrequited love, but nothing is as heartbreaking and soul-wrenching as being unable to live freely with who and what you are at the time and place that you're in, having a loving companion that you can't be seen to be together with, and with knowing that you'll have to live with it for decades up to your dying days. :)

Clayton and Usop spending that precious time together in that golden rice fields in the interior highlands may not be the only memory that they have spent together, but we can see that it is the most positive one that Clayton was only willing to show a vague glimpse of it to his friends and family in his dying bed.

I've seen a lot of songs and stories about unrequited love, but nothing is as heartbreaking and soul-wrenching as being unable to live freely with who and what you are at the time and place that you're in, having a loving companion that you can't be seen to be together with, and with knowing that you'll have to live with it for decades up to your dying days. :)

Clayton and Usop spending that precious time together in that golden rice fields in the interior highlands may not be the only memory that they have spent together, but we can see that it is the most positive one that Clayton was only willing to show a vague glimpse of it to his friends and family in his dying bed.

Agreed.

That was one of the most beautiful and heart-breaking things I’ve ever read.

Usop and Clayton. In another time, another place. May you two find the happiness that eluded you. :teary: (yes i know this is fiction, but there was doubtless many couples like this throughout time.)

Ultimately it seems Clayton knew that he would have to put his desires after his duty, and ultimately not even then.

Last edited:
"Even the princes of this world have their tragedies. Such is Humanity, wonderful and sad in a single binding."

I wonder if this was the great love of his life? Or simply one that burned brighter for igniting in his darkness and lent such nostalgia by the parting?

Whatever the facts, it was a harsh choice. Having chosen may he at least have the vindication of leading his peopel to a better tomorrow. And though his heart will in part forever linger in those golden fields may he find new day of happiness in his life ahead.

And also so sad that every memory of his brother is likely tainted to some degree by their final divide.

The Rajah of Transition, a bridge between what was and what will be.

20190810_171858.jpg

View of the trees at Arafah during sunset

After forty-one days of pilgrimage and a few days of rest at home, I am finally back! To say that the past month was an experience - in both the highest and wildest aspects of the term - would be an injustice of measure, and the sheer number of people I met there reminded me of the importance in examining the world through multiple perspectives. Also, there was a surprising amount of history nestled between the sands and skyscrapers that were an inspiration on how to drive this timeline forward.

In fact, I actually wrote a number of drafts in whatever spare time was available. Some were inspired by what I saw and experienced, while others formed through what I read and remembered from there. In terms of progression, the next piece will be a multi-perspective interlude, followed by a return to the Great War in Europe and the wider world.

I'm also wondering if there is a chance to create a TV Tropes page for this TL, though I also think making one sounds a bit too much self-promoting. What do you guys think?

I'm also wondering if there is a chance to create a TV Tropes page for this TL, though I also think making one sounds a bit too much self-promoting. What do you guys think?

I say go for it. This TL treads ground often overlooked and you have kept it going longer than many timelines on this story with fine quality too boot. I can safely say your work has increased my knowledge of the world OTL as well at the fun Alternate history.

Grand that you had an expansive experience!

I say go for it. This TL treads ground often overlooked and you have kept it going longer than many timelines on this story with fine quality too boot. I can safely say your work has increased my knowledge of the world OTL as well at the fun Alternate history.

Grand that you had an expansive experience!

Thank you! And after seeing your comment (and all the positive upvotes) I finally took the jump; we now have a TV Tropes page! It’s still mostly bare, so anyone with an account duly have my express permission fill it up with as much tropes as possible! :D

--------------------
And now for August’s comments:

The war is still ongoing, correct? I cannot yet see any indication that one side or the other is winning big.

The Great War is still ongoing, with hundreds of thousands of combatants still fighting it out all over Europe, Africa, Asia, and the high seas. At this point (1907), the situation has massively changed and the pendulum of force has swung towards empires with latent industrial strength, so there shall be some backtracking to 1906 to see the conflict from a non-Sarawakian perspective – boy that sounds weird.

As long as Sarawak gets Sabah and is not forced to return the last valuable pieces of Brunei, Sarawak seems to be out of places to expand into until the DEI collapses or falls into civil war.

As for Sarawak’s future expansion, there does seem to be no more places for it to grow, at least for now. With that said, is one… potential… place... where the kingdom could expand in the near-future before the age of decolonization hits and the D.E.I says goodbye.

Here’s a hint: it’s related to Margaret Brooke’s matchmaking hunt. ;)

Singapore was, even prior to independence, a major port city, with capacity to handle freight passing through and placed in one of the most optimal locations in the world in regards to controlling trade - only Suez and the Pillars of Hercules may be said to control more vital trade routes. The locals just managed to really capitalize on that.

Add the isthmus of Panama/Central America to that. Though figures such as Theodore Roosevelt aren’t getting into power anytime soon, there will be pressure from the United States for a waterway that could link the eastern and western coasts, as well as from shipping companies eager for a route that avoids the rough seas off Chile and Patagonia.

Maybe it is this that shall finally force America into the Great War: as its own side to protect their interests in Central America.

Everything regarding Clayton and Usop.

What’s that? You don’t think their stories couldn’t get anymore sad? How about I made them sadder?

I was wondering how ya’ll shall react when I posted that. Clayton and Usop have kept their affair a secret from almost everyone, save for the former’s twin brother who stumbled upon them at one time; though he kept the secret, it was clear that Clarke did not think well of his other half’s relationship, which created a gulf between the twins that became permanent with Clarke’s death. That guilt is also kept deep within Clayton, only adding to the existing ones of secrecy and emotional pain.

Ultimately, he shall choose his duty over his heart, though the memories of Usop the Melanau warrior – and the great love of his life – will shadow the Rajah for the rest of his days. In any case, the window for the pair to continue their relationship is slowly closing; Ranee Margaret’s search for a suitable match shall force them both to end their affair, regardless of anything else. Though with that said, a part of their love may still survive in their journals and writings, written memories from both men of a time gone by.

Whether the world shall read them, or even could read them, is another matter, though.

What’s that? You don’t think their stories couldn’t get anymore sad? How about I made them sadder?

I was wondering how ya’ll shall react when I posted that. Clayton and Usop have kept their affair a secret from almost everyone, save for the former’s twin brother who stumbled upon them at one time; though he kept the secret, it was clear that Clarke did not think well of his other half’s relationship, which created a gulf between the twins that became permanent with Clarke’s death. That guilt is also kept deep within Clayton, only adding to the existing ones of secrecy and emotional pain.

Ultimately, he shall choose his duty over his heart, though the memories of Usop the Melanau warrior – and the great love of his life – will shadow the Rajah for the rest of his days. In any case, the window for the pair to continue their relationship is slowly closing; Ranee Margaret’s search for a suitable match shall force them both to end their affair, regardless of anything else. Though with that said, a part of their love may still survive in their journals and writings, written memories from both men of a time gone by.

Whether the world shall read them, or even could read them, is another matter, though.

The key to applying angst to a love story and make it good is to give it the right balance of pain and suffering and the knowledge that their conclusion is bound to be star crossed until when they are reunited at their next adventure together. ;)

Im glad your Hajj went well and that it was a generally positive experience for you and your kin. Welcome back. Honestly you're one of the best stories still here.

Other than the T.V tropes page you created. I hope you seriously consider one day publishing this thread as an online novella/novel. It may not make you rich, but you may gain a nice passive income.

As for Sarawak’s future expansion, there does seem to be no more places for it to grow, at least for now. With that said, is one… potential… place... where the kingdom could expand in the near-future before the age of decolonization hits and the D.E.I says goodbye.

Here’s a hint: it’s related to Margaret Brooke’s matchmaking hunt.
I swear I get the jitters whenever this is brought up. Whom could the Brooke's marry into that might even entertain the avenue of expansion, that isn't royal? Perhaps somehow...the Phillipines? May I ask, this family Margaret is thinking of...did they exist irl/otl?

Let me compliment that your writing is only enhanced by the bitterness of reality. As much as we, the readers, would like to imagine statues to forlorn love, bestselling memoirs and novels of forbidden love and harsh choices, ultimately their love was a private affair they chose to keep hidden. Its beautiful they chose a moment of happiness in their love for each other. Even if it meant, at least for Clayton, a lifetime of regret....for lost love...for his brother.

I swear I get the jitters whenever this is brought up. Whom could the Brooke's marry into that might even entertain the avenue of expansion, that isn't royal? Perhaps somehow...the Phillipines? May I ask, this family Margaret is thinking of...did they exist irl/otl?

Yes, they did exist. In fact, I think the family's ancestor was among the first (if there was ever a notion of 'first') to create the whole 'European guy ruling over a native land' shtick in that part of the world, albeit in a different ocean basin.

Last edited:
Yes, they did exist. In fact, I think the family's ancestor was among the first (if there was ever a notion of 'first') to create the whole 'European guy ruling over a native land' shtick in that part of the world, albeit in a different ocean basin.

Okay, what are you both talking about?

Also: about Sarawak's military. It makes me thinking about the name of the armed force of Sarawak. How about...

Sarawak Auxillary Armed Forces(SAAF)? Or Sarawak Auxillary Defence Forces(SADF)?

The "Auxillary" there is to honor the origin of Sarawak's military: a collection of levied warriors, militia and paramilitary (aka auxillaries) to make war and defending the land.