Watching Branagh's Henry V...

A really odd question came to my mind.

What would have happened if his father-Bolingbroke-died in exile, before he could revolt and take Richard II's crown?

Bolingbroke's son was living at court, hostage to Richard. By all accounts, a real friendship grew between them, I suspect Henry would've continued in Richard's love.

What happens if Richard continues to rule until he dies of natural causes...say around his fifties?

I am not entirely certain Richard would have had any children of his own. If Richard died without issue, would Henry have become King anyway?

If so, with all those butterflies, what kind of King would Henry have become?

Young Henry would have been Duke of Lancaster (incl Earl of Lancaster, of Leicester, of Derby), and possibly Duke if Hereford, likely Steward of England.
Mortimer would be King.

That's interesting. Anyone know enough about Mortimer to comment on what kind of King he might have made, and how well Duke Henry would have fared?

That's interesting. Anyone know enough about Mortimer to comment on what kind of King he might have made, and how well Duke Henry would have fared?

Well, Wikipedia states:

The Wigmore chronicle describes Edmund Mortimer as "severe in his morals, composed in his acts, circumspect in his talk, and wise and cautious during the days of his adversity".

He was also very loyal to Henry IV and V, despite others attempting to rebel for his claim to the throne, he himself did not seem to take part, and he eventually went on to become a close advisor and ally of Henry V during the French campaign.

Of course, much of his character my have been formed by being a gentile hostage of Henry IV from the age of 8.

A really odd question came to my mind.

What would have happened if his father-Bolingbroke-died in exile, before he could revolt and take Richard II's crown?

Bolingbroke's son was living at court, hostage to Richard. By all accounts, a real friendship grew between them, I suspect Henry would've continued in Richard's love.

What happens if Richard continues to rule until he dies of natural causes...say around his fifties?

I am not entirely certain Richard would have had any children of his own. If Richard died without issue, would Henry have become King anyway?

If so, with all those butterflies, what kind of King would Henry have become?
We can not know, maybe Anna was the one with fertility trouble and Richard would be able to have an heir by Isabella