New Civil War Alternative History

I am a new member of the group, and I wanted to note that my new alternative history, "Lincoln, Antietam and a Northern Lost Cause: What If a Union Victory Did not End Slavery?" is now available in ebook and paperback on amazon.com. Here is my author's site, which provides a link to this book, as well as my first Civil War book, "Citizen-General: Jacob Dolson Cox and the Civil War Era."
https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B00HV4SSWK

I look forward to discussion of the book.

Welcome to the board. Just a heads up, I think this post would more appropriately fit in the "upcoming alternate history books" thread.
But, seeing as this thread is already created, you want to tell us a bit more about it? What's the point of divergence?

Thanks for your interest. In sum, I posit that if the Union had won overwhelmingly at Antietam (a very real possibility), complete with the surrender of Lee and his entire army, it might have led to a total collapse of the Confederate military effort. At that point, some Confederate leaders would have recommended that the South accept the terms of the Emancipation Proclamation. The latter freed the slaves only in states in rebellion as of January 1, 1863. If the states reversed their resolutions of secession before that, they could keep slavery (or according to the terms of the Proclamation, be compensated if them manumitted the slaves). This, I note, would be the ironic result of an overwhelming Union victory. Granted it is a speculation, but that is what alternative history is supposed to be -- "What if"? I would also note that this book is an outgrowth of my talks to Civil War Round Tables about my first book, "Citizen-General: Jacob Dolson Cox and the Civil War Era," which was published in 2014 by Ohio University Press. When speaking about Cox, I would note that he commanded the left flank of the Union at Antietam, and if he had attacked an hour earlier than he did, Lee would have not been able to defend against him -- and A.P. Hill would have arrived an hour too late.

Hope that helps the readership to understand the new book. Any questions? Buy the book!! All the best, Gene

Greenhorn, thanks for your thoughts. Your scenario/speculation is as valid as mine. I just chose a different one. One difference -- in mine there is no significant remnant of Lee's army to block McClellan from taking Richmond. The entire army on the field -- or those not dead or wounded -- surrenders wholesale. There are a few of A.P. Hill's men who don't make it to Sharpsburg, but they are few and far between. As for Lee reinforcing his right from his left, that in fact happens in the book, but the Union sees that and makes a new advance in the Center by Franklin. Lee by then was down to a thin gray line (excuse the reference), and it was on the verge of breaking at any point. In any case, I hope you and others will read the book.

I would note that one of my first readers was Princeton Professor Emeritus James McPherson, and he had many positive thanks to say -- needless to say, I have his comments on the book's "blurb" page. All the best, Gene