Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

There maybe a possibility that what happened to Kiki and what just happened now with Zella are in someway tied in together and if that is the case then Kat is going to be equally angry and happy at the same time as this will let her go in to full TIGERESS MODE with no restraints.

She won't be happy.

Kat twenty years ago would have been, but a lot has changed since then.

Since then Kat has become a person who loathes the danger that she is. She came from crap circumstances, was manipulated into being a human weapon (essentially) and her underlying anger and fury has fucked up her life every single time she has tapped into it. It has driven her nearly crazy, and her influence on the people she loves, letting them follow her path, has done a lot of damage.

It is her tragic duality, she could go and raise hell, but doing it might literally break her, and she knows this.

The only way Kat would ever go full Tigress again would be if someone was suicidal enough to target Doug or her children. Anything else, she can not be directly involved, or the one who hurts her family may just be her.

One of the worst things that this timeline has done to me is that it is making me think in convoluted ways and that there are massive conspiracies out there.
So here goes a wild theory that Zella is being set up by the enemies of Kat in order to discredit the investigation of the systematic abuse all across the Wehrmact.
The car that is pulling to Zella is full of reporters and photographers from the Gutter Press that will try to blackmail her father, the Head of the OKW and her mother the editor of the BT in to limiting the investigation to just Hauptman Blum and to go no further than that or Zella is portrayed as a reckless teenage killer who rides deadly motorcycles while under the influence of alcohol and drugs.
There may be pictures of her in the club drinking her soda water but they will have "witnesses saying it was alcohol.

Not likely. Already Zella saw that the damage in the body had no way that could have been done for her and her Ducati motorcycle. She also REDUCED her speed when doing the turn

Also a forensic report would certainly confirm that....... We are in a time with a rather modern Forensics system.

Anyway, from the description, it seems that Zella crashed into someone who was savaged, and managed to escape from the crime site and pretty much close to dying by bleeding and wounds, and Zella only hastened an unavoidable end. What it worries me is if the car approaching its just a random one... Or the ones that inflicted said damage in the poor sod and are the kind that try to kill short ends, unaware of the Girl's actual family.....

Part 84, Chapter 1292
Chapter One Thousand Two Hundred Ninety-Two

5th October 1958

Mitte, Berlin

The flashing lights of the emergency vehicles were more than enough to let Kat know that something out of the ordinary was going on. She saw a battered Zella sitting in the open door of an ambulance with Maria. Kat couldn’t help but notice that even in the state that she currently was in, Zella was looking at the motorcycles of the Traffic Police with envy. Kat hoped that she never changed. Emil was talking to Sven Werth, they had been the ones who had sent for her.

“Glad you came” Emil said, “We need your opinion on this.”

“I don’t see what I can do regarding traffic accidents” Kat replied, “Or why Sven is here. How is this a Federal matter?”

“I don’t know what you might have heard” Werth replied, “But this wasn’t just a traffic accident and you’ll see why I’m here. Show her.”

With that one of the uniformed Traffic Officers lifted the tarp that was covering the body. Kat saw in the light from the portable floodlights that it was Henning Krause, her father’s lackey, and that someone had cut his throat.

“We think that he managed to stagger out into the street after someone did that to him” Sven said, “There was a report of a fight on the sidewalk in front of a house on this block in the minutes before he got hit.”

“I’m not surprised that this is where Henning ended up” Kat replied, “He was a minor player. After my father died, the rail workers cleaned house and he wasn’t regarded as enough of a threat to give the boot to. Still though, he had his thumb in several pies.”

Kat could now see why Sven was here, it also explained her presence. Anytime one of her father’s people turned up dead, there was a good chance that a power struggle was happening in the shadows. She might have been tempted to say that the animals were eating each other, but ordinary people tended to get hurt if they got caught in it. This time it was Zella who had blundered into what could turn out to be a massive can of worms.

“Ordinarily we might have declared this a service to the community and not exactly have made it a priority” Sven said, “But this time Markgraf von Holz’s daughter is involved.”

Kat nodded. That meant that the powers that be inside the Federal and State Police would be kicking over every rock they could until someone paid a price for this. Even without Zella’s personal connections, she was exactly the sort of person that they were supposed to protect.

Paris, France

“Now that you’ve made it into orbit, I think that you’ll find it is only a matter of time until Jackie finds a way to top that, somehow” Jacqueline Auriol said, “Though I don’t see how she’ll do it this time, not yet anyway.”

The rivalry between the French Aviatrix and her American counterpart, Jackie Cochran, was famous. The two of them had been beating each other’s speed and altitude records again and again over the last decade. Sigi had been sent to France as part of the publicity surrounding the mission of the European Space Agency. Drumming up support from the governments involved. Sitting around the hotel room all day Sunday had not appealed to Sigi, so she had accepted the breakfast invitation from Jacqueline Auriol. Once there Sigi had learned that she was currently the toast of the small world of women in aviation, that wasn’t necessarily a good thing as she was discovering. There were many who saw her accomplishment as a direct challenge.

“Of course, Amelia is trying to figure out how to convince you to come to New York” Jacqueline said, “I told that she just ought to send you an invitation.”

“Did she send it?” Sigi asked.

“She said that she had” Jacqueline replied, “But you aren’t the easiest one to get a hold of these days.”

That was fair enough. Sigi had been catapulted into international fame by being the first woman in space. Any invitation that Amelia Earhart may have sent would have been lost in a blizzard of similar correspondence that she had simply lacked the resources to sort through.

“I’ll need to get back to her then” Sigi said, a bit awkwardly.

“I think she’ll like that” Jacqueline said, then she looked at Sigi with a wistful smile. “What was it like?”

“What exactly?” Sigi asked in reply.

“All of it” Jacqueline replied, “Being launched into outer space, looking down on the world.”

“It was incredible” Sigi said, “For the first couple days, then Bert started fretting over his wife. Getting her sister chewing him out over radio put a bit of a pall over things.”

“Men and their theatrics” Jacquelin said, “And they say we’re the emotional ones.”

“I hear that sometimes” Sigi said, “But usually they fall all over themselves to be polite whenever I enter the room.”

“You have no idea how lucky you are. I don’t know if you heard but there is a group of women that have been trying to get in on the Mercury program in America. The administration at NASA showed them the door a few days before you launched from Vietnam. It really is egg on those chauvinist’s faces.”

Sigi had been unaware of that. It seemed odd to her, the results from her foray into space had been considered extremely encouraging. There were a few promising female candidates in the Raumfahrer program who seemed like a natural fit. Sigi couldn’t imagine what it would look like without them. Going back to how it had been before Sigi had gotten through the program. The Admiral, von Braun and the rest of the them in Cam Ranh, total unchecked id. Who would be crazy enough to want that?

Last edited:
I don’t know if you heard but there is a group of women that have been trying to get in on the Mercury program in America. The administration at NASA showed them the door a few days before you launched from Vietnam. It really is egg on those chauvinist’s faces.”
Hoo Boy.

Egg in the NASA's face it would be a gross understatement.

Right Now DC must be a literal fan propelled Shitstorm as every female congress member, former First Ladies and figures like Amelia Earhart and Jackie Cochran.... And the CURRENT First Lady are raising hell about the "Unmitigated Machism of the NASA" and other examples of the increasingly evident stagnation of Women's Rights in the United States.....

I can imagine that some of the more liberal newspapers would have first pages with sarcastic and acid lines like

"America is the Land of Freedom and Opportunities... Unless you are a Woman, then you are Screwed"

Hoo Boy.

Egg in the NASA's face it would be a gross understatement.

Right Now DC must be a literal fan propelled Shitstorm as every female congress member, former First Ladies and figures like Amelia Earhart and Jackie Cochran.... And the CURRENT First Lady are raising hell about the "Unmitigated Machism of the NASA" and other examples of the increasingly evident stagnation of Women's Rights in the United States.....

I can imagine that some of the more liberal newspapers would have first pages with sarcastic and acid lines like

"America is the Land of Freedom and Opportunities... Unless you are a Woman, then you are Screwed"
Which is really bad, as the POTUS was trying to somewhat redeem the US's major societal problems, which were already leading up to some major backlash....

If they don't change, people are gonna start making jokes about teh US being 50 years behind everyone. Plus I'd like the US to finally get a break for once. Seems like we're the butt of every joke in this TL.

And this is what some of the reasons why the United States is not doing better ITTL is because they are not utilizing the talents that are available.
IOTL when the Soviet Union sent a woman in to space it was considered to be a stunt but what the Germans did was not a stunt and that may wake up the Americans(but don't count on that).
Or black. Don't forget that.
There is something that is going to break one way or another that will either be good or bad, but the current situation in the United States is no longer tenable and the American people know that.

FBKampfer

Banned
Which is really bad, as the POTUS was trying to somewhat redeem the US's major societal problems, which were already leading up to some major backlash....

If they don't change, people are gonna start making jokes about teh US being 50 years behind everyone. Plus I'd like the US to finally get a break for once. Seems like we're the butt of every joke in this TL.

This TL is heavily ASB in the level of Ameriscrew. We've had our hands taped to the idiotball since 1916 ITTL.

This TL is heavily ASB in the level of Ameriscrew. We've had our hands taped to the idiotball since 1916 ITTL.
And the idiotball also has a fuse burning from well over 15 years ago, and nobody knows when finally the Idiotball will go off, and it's effects.....

I find it interesting that depicting the United States acting in a similar manner from 1916 to 1958 ITTL as it did IOTL from 1970 to the present and it's an ASB level Ameriscrew. The US making penny wise, pound foolish decisions, poor utilization of human capital and having an insular, narrow perspective are things that dominate the news. Imagine if twenty years ago someone had done a TL depicting the present Administration on the heels of that of the George W. Bush trainwreck just a decade earlier.

Last edited:
What has gone on for the United States ITTL is that ever since General Pershing made the decision to pull the American Expeditionary Force out from The Great War is that almost every time the United States came to a fork in the road of history it has taken another path.
President Roosevelt not running for a third term.
President Garner choosing isolation over fighting with the rest of the major western nations against the Soviet Union and Japan in a clash of civilizations.
President Dewey trying to thread the needle domestically while making some bone head decisions in foreign policy.
President Truman trying to overcome the institutional rot in the end did not pull the trigger on the biggest item that has been holding back the United States: Race.
Had all of these Presidents made a different choice then we would be seeing something of a much different United States ITTL.

All of the above decisions and actions within the USA are logical and consistent with the political realities of the altered world power balance of this very different geopolitical world. ITTL there are far fewer drivers than OTL for the USA world dominant roll of the mid 20th century. IMHO this is not an Ameriscrew just a very well written ATL where America fails to always throw a double six. Compared to some real history TTL's America is all to plausible!!

I find it interesting that depicting the United States acting in a similar manner from 1916 to 1958 ITTL as it did IOTL from 1970 to the present and it's an ASB level Ameriscrew.
First off, I love your writing! I don't think there has ever been an ATL that I have enjoyed more than this one, and that is saying something! That being said, however, I must say that my enjoyment of your excellent and awesome work is despite the ASB level of ameriscrew that is indeed a part of your story. To put this in proper context, one need only say two words: Manhattan Project.

Even by itself, that part of your story was, to my thinking, the least plausible thing that you have so far written, where the USA, again and again and again, gets handed its incompetent and bungling ass... Where anything that can go wrong (and even some things that can't), will go horribly wrong. But when you combine this with everything else going wrong for the USA in your thread, then yea, this is definitely an ameriscrew. I have not mentioned this previously as there seemed no point to sharing my feelings of disappointment/dissatisfaction, as this is your timeline, and you are of course free to write it as you see fit. And as previously stated, I love your work, man.

So don't be offended, that others are also not liking the USA always hitting every single branch on the way down, as they fall out of the idiot tree, time after time. I've not said a single thing about this before now, and do not intend to say anything about this from now on, I just wanted to go on record, as it were, defending the claim that TTL does indeed have a wee bit to much of the Ameriscrew flavor in it.

Now that that is out of the way, I can get back to loving the unfolding drama and intrigue, that all of us here at alternatehistory.com have come to know and love and am eagerly awaiting MORE!:cool:

Keep in mind that in OTL it took two decades for NASA to send a woman into space after the Russians did it first. They were in no hurry to catch up and there was only limited pressure in the US to draw even with that milestone.

Of course the USSR didn't exactly go out of their way to make female cosmonauts a regular thing after Valentina Tereshkova's historic flight. A European space effort that has women as a regular part of the program and not just a one-off token inclusion may get a different reaction.

The whites only thing may play out differently though.

In OTL the soviet union ended up doing their Interkosmos program to allow friendly nations to send up cosmonauts with them. That earned them a lot of 'firsts', but it wasn't widely talked about in the US because they were the enemy. Arnaldo Tamayo Méndez may have been the first black person in space but he was largely ignored. Of course that was in the early 80s.

A non-white astronaut being send up in the 60s could have entirely different results.

African-Americans like Gil Scott-Heron will sing a different tune and not just complain about "Whitey On the Moon" if foreign space agencies do send up non-whites. The question is does the European effort have anyone like that on offer. We already saw a Japanese pilot training at the facilities. Maybe some French astronaut of African extraction or someone from some other European colonial asset or friendly non European power may be selected simply as a political move.

A non-white astronaut being send up in the 60s could have entirely different results.

African-Americans like Gil Scott-Heron will sing a different tune and not just complain about "Whitey On the Moon" if foreign space agencies do send up non-whites. The question is does the European effort have anyone like that on offer. We already saw a Japanese pilot training at the facilities. Maybe some French astronaut of African extraction or someone from some other European colonial asset or friendly non European power may be selected simply as a political move.

Vietnam is right there if you want a non-white astronaut.

That wouldn't be just a PR win, it would be the sort of thing that would be worth the entire programs weight in gold as far as German good will is concerned.