Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

Part 83, Chapter 1269
The fix that is temporary at best worked, sort of. Replacing the charging port is cheaper than the whole computer. Just finding one for a four-year-old laptop turned out to be a real chore. The new AC adapter proved to be an easier find. I'm back, until something else breaks.

Chapter One Thousand Two Hundred Sixty-Nine

24th February 1958

Berlin

Despite what Sophie had told Helene she felt a great deal of uncertainty as the election results unfolded. Once again, no one had enough seats to hold an outright majority but as expected it was the center-right National Liberal Party that had come out on top. Despite the words of reconciliation and national unity that they were speaking, it was clear to Sophie that for that crowd it was very much Germany Above all. They didn’t seem to realize that it was a very different place than it had been when they had last been in power in the thirties. Poland, Slovakia, Bohemia and the Baltics were not conquered territories entirely beholden to official Berlin for humanitarian aid. Sophie figured that they would be in for a rude awakening if they were stupid enough to behave in a heavy-handed manner with those regions. Germany itself was a different place, particularly the major cities, Berlin and Hamburg especially. Both were considered international cities with people from everywhere living and working there.

The good news on the night had come from Helene’s native Silesia and Sophie’s Bavaria where the Democratic Ecology Party had vastly expanded their numbers in the State Governments and had made inroads in several other States. It seemed that Helene efforts to reach out to the Polish population of Upper Silesia with her friend Asia Lawniczak had paid dividends. According to Helene it turned out to be good timing, because Asia was still recovering from a traumatic experience and had needed a distraction.

As if the uncertainty of tonight was obnoxious enough Sophie had been approached by a journalist who had asked her opinion on a different matter entirely. An Arthur Harris, a retired English General and self-proclaimed expert had decided that now was the perfect time to relitigate Kure and had ventured even further back to the bombing of Moscow. Harris had proclaimed that in his analysis the bombing of the center of Moscow had been unnecessary, as little in the city itself was of strategic value. Sophie doubted that Harris would have said that if Augustus Lang were still alive. Lang himself had said that he regretted many of the choices he had to make to end the war and win the peace that followed. At the same time, he said that he had been prepared to unleash Hell on Earth if it ended the war a few months sooner.

Berlin-Mitte

It was brightly lit against the dark of the night, Kat had to give it that much. It was one of the few establishments that was open all night, selling mostly hot drinks, sandwiches and pastries to those who kept late hours. She bought a cup of tea from the disinterested woman who was behind the counter. Kat had a feeling that she had a lot of practice in showing little regard to what her customers did.

“You made it after all” Sven Werth said as Kat slid into the booth across the table from him. “What excuse did you give your husband?”

“I told him the truth” Kat replied, “Having a second sixteen-year-old in the house was driving me insane and that if didn’t get out for this then you would be at the house investigating a double homicide.”

“I think that this would be a local matter handled by the Berlin Police” Sven replied mildly.

“Spoilsport” Kat said, “You are just trying to avoid a real challenge.”

Sven just gave Kat a sardonic look. “While I think you would probably be an excellent criminal Katherine” He said, “You are more of the sort to stand over the body, or bodies, when the police arrive one step behind your lawyers, plural, and dare them to prove that it wasn’t justified.”

Kat just smiled sweetly at that characterization. She was still the same girl who had gone head to head with a team of NKDV assassins and had come out on top.

“Just how did you end up with the second teenager?” Sven asked.

“Maria, my former mentor is on a long-promised vacation with her husband Emil to the South Seas” Kat replied, “Her daughter Zella happens to be one of Kiki’s best friends and I agreed to let her stay at my house while Maria was away. I’m starting to think that probably wasn’t the wisest move.”

“I see” Sven said, “And you got a whole lot of drama out of the deal.”

“Never a dull moment” Kat said before taking a sip of tea to see if it was cool enough to drink.

“I think you secretly love it” Sven replied, “You described how your Aunt welcomed people into her house, how it made it full of life. You’re doing the same thing.”

“You wouldn’t be saying that if you had to listen to Zella complain whenever she’s asked to do something.”

“I take it she has a mouth on her?”

“It wouldn’t so bad except Kiki is not yet confident enough in herself not to follow along with whatever Zella wants” Kat replied, “I’ve been working on that, just not hard enough it seems.”

Sven was a bit amused, he remembered how Kat was years earlier. How she was trying to find herself back then and he figured that she still was. It was nice how she was in a position to care about people. When she had been trying to get into Law Enforcement, he had seen Kat’s dismay when she saw people paint themselves into a corner. The natural empathy that she tried to conceal would have caused her to burn out eventually. When she had not fought to keep her job after she had gotten pregnant, Sven had understood what had really been motivating her. She had been given a way out and had taken it. That was not something that she would admit to, ever.

Last edited:

24th February 1958

As if the uncertainty of tonight was obnoxious enough Sophie had been approached by a journalist who had asked her opinion on a different matter entirely. An Arthur Harris, a retired English General and self-proclaimed expert had decided that now was the perfect time to relitigate Kure and had ventured even further back to the bombing of Moscow. Harris had proclaimed that in his analysis the bombing of the center of Moscow had been unnecessary, as little in the city itself was of strategic value. Sophie doubted that Harris would have said that if Augustus Lang were still alive. Lang himself had said that he regretted many of the choices he had to make to end the war and win the peace that followed. At the same time, he said that he had been prepared to unleash Hell on Earth if it ended the war a few months sooner.

Wait... Arthur Harris is against the area bombing of civilian targets? What madness is this?

...maybe someone should ask if Harris if he recognizes the name Charles Fleming...

An Arthur Harris, a retired English General and self-proclaimed expert had decided that now was the perfect time to relitigate Kure and had ventured even further back to the bombing of Moscow. Harris had proclaimed that in his analysis the bombing of the center of Moscow had been unnecessary, as little in the city itself was of strategic value. Sophie doubted that Harris would have said that if Augustus Lang were still alive.
You damn near made me spit my drink out of sheer irony! Well done, P-M!

The older that Kat gets and the more time that has passed, the more she relishes the reputation that she has.
Zella staying with Kat reminds me when I had a three bedroom apartment three blocks from the beach and every summer my teenage nephews and nieces would "runaway" from home with their parents permission and stay with me, I really miss that apartment, damn condo conversion.

Wait... Arthur Harris is against the area bombing of civilian targets? What madness is this?

...maybe someone should ask if Harris if he recognizes the name Charles Fleming...

Not enough Catholic Conspiracy for it to be the same one.

Worth a try though.

The fix that is temporary at best worked, sort of. Replacing the charging port is cheaper than the whole computer. Just finding one for a four-year-old laptop turned out to be a real chore. The new AC adapter proved to be an easier find. I'm back, until something else breaks.

24th February 1958

Berlin

Despite what Sophie had told Helene she felt a great deal of uncertainty as the election results unfolded. Once again, no one had enough seats to hold an outright majority but as expected it was the center-right National Liberal Party that had come out on top. Despite the words of reconciliation and national unity that they were speaking, it was clear to Sophie that for that crowd it was very much Germany Above all.

deutschland über alles

The older that Kat gets and the more time that has passed, the more she relishes the reputation that she has.
Zella staying with Kat reminds me when I had a three bedroom apartment three blocks from the beach and every summer my teenage nephews and nieces would "runaway" from home with their parents permission and stay with me, I really miss that apartment, damn condo conversion.

Sounds like a few good memories there!

Sounds like a few good memories there!
I was never more popular with my family when I had that place, I moved in an April and the day after school ended in June there was a 14 year old niece outside my door saying that she left home and the next day another niece from one of my other sisters showed up with her cousin from back east, that started a pattern for the time I had that place where my nieces and nephews would rotate their visits with me.
Every summer my brother and sisters would drop off their kids at my place with sleeping bags and a check for expenses that somehow didn't cover even a third of the costs of feeding and entertaining them, after a couple of weeks the novelty of going to the beach every day would wear off and another set of nieces and nephews would then show up doing the same pattern all over again.

Part 83, Chapter 1270
Chapter One Thousand Two Hundred Seventy

1st March 1958

Berlin-Tempelhof

Zella looked up at Ben who was on the rooftop across the yards and alley. Waiting until she had his attention, she made a rude gesture and dropped the blinds.

“That wasn’t a nice thing to do” Kiki said as she brushed out her hair.

“He’s not out there all the time just because he likes astronomy” Zella said, “You shouldn’t encourage him to do that.”

“I think it’s sweet” Kiki said as she put her brush down on her desk, which she was sitting at.

Zella made a noncommittal noise as she threw herself onto Kiki’s bed. There wasn’t anywhere else to sit down. “You had your choice of the unoccupied rooms of this house” She said, “Why’d you have to pick the smallest one?”

It was something that Zella had asked repeatedly since she had moved into Kat’s house a week earlier. The truth was that Kiki had wanted a complete break with the life she’d had before. It was also true that Zella was staying in a much larger guestroom downstairs, but she chose to spend most of her time in Kiki’s room.

“It was what I wanted” Kiki replied, “No one makes you come up here.”

“The alternative was a month and a half living with Uncle Walter and Aunt Nina” Zella said, with a look of mock horror on her face.

That wasn’t what Kiki had meant and Zella knew it. Still, the prospect of going with her brother to stay with Walter Horst and Nina Sjostedt had been enough to have Zella talking about that days later, every chance she got. The Gräfin might be strict, but Nina being the Headmistress of a Primary School took that to a different level.

“A couple generations ago you would have had an entire team of attendants to help you with that” Zella said as Kiki began braiding her hair. They both knew that if Kiki didn’t do this then her hair swiftly became an unmanageable mess of curls.

“A couple generations ago I would have already been set up in an arranged marriage to a man who was decades my senior” Kiki said to the reflection of Zella in the mirror, “I would have then died of smallpox or in childbirth before I turned thirty.”

Zella blinked for a few seconds at that. The trouble with an idealized past was that others might have the knowledge that it was not so ideal.

“And as obnoxious as the press is” Kiki continued, “Back then a princess was expected to dance and preen before them and as a Markgräfin you would have been right there next to me. We might as well be in the Zoo. It also would have been considered unladylike for you to ride your motorcycle.”

There was a flash of anger that crossed Zella’s face when Kiki mentioned that. Among the preparations that Zella’s father had made before leaving for the South Seas was to put all his motorcycles in storage, including Zella’s Ducati, and arranging for his Aides to be staying at the townhouse. He had done that specifically to keep Zella from coming back while they were away and getting in the sort of trouble that Zella seemed to revel in when she was left unsupervised. That had been a second disappointment. The first was when she had learned that the vacation her parents were planning wasn’t a family vacation but a second honeymoon for them alone. “You’re now old enough to understand that your Mama and Poppa need some time to reconnect” Was how Zella’s father had put it.

Kiki had also overheard Kat and Doug talking about how with the new Government, Generalfeldmarschall von Holz was suddenly short of friends in the Reichstag due to his perceived connection with Augustus Lang and the Social Democrats. Zella’s parents were taking a vacation to figure out what their next step would be. Kiki had a feeling that Zella would probably not be liking the changes that were coming any more than she liked the events of the last few months.

Fort Drum, New York

“He is an asshole, plain and simple” Jonny said after Parker had told him about his conversations with Thurston Gardener, “You notice that for all his talk he never mentioned putting his own neck on the line.”

Those were the stark terms that Master Sergeant John Cassey saw the world in. Those who were all talk and those who weren’t. He said that he had seen how fast Mexico had sorted those two out, but it hadn’t done a complete enough job. Jonny had been there in the brutal battle to control the mountains east of Mexico City. The 10th Mountain had taken heavy casualties as they had fought their way uphill with little cover. Post-war analysis had concluded that the sort of battle that the 10th had fought would be closer to what the US Army would be facing in the future as opposed to the rest of the campaign which fit the definition of a short, victorious war. Parker knew the historical origin of that term, denoting folly.

Thurston had certainly talked a lot. The thing that had most animated him was what he saw as the coming war. Not the one between stone ignorant rednecks still angry about how their equally ignorant grandfathers lost the Civil War and those who they once held as property that had consumed the Dewey Administration and much of the Truman Administration that followed. Instead Thurston had been on about how it was long past time for the country to be taken back by those who owned it. Thurston had pointed out as an example how certain undesirable elements were already leaving New York City. The difficulty he said, was how to keep them from being replaced by other undesirables.

The whole time Thurston had assumed that Parker agreed with him while he just listened. Eventually, Parker had asked why Thurston was so certain that his “side” would emerge victorious? Thurston just smiled and said that Jay Gould got it right. They would pay half the trash to kill the other half for them.

Last edited:
The problem with that is that sometimes the "trash" will decide that instead of taking pennies for working the other "trash" over, they will just go to the source, where the fat golden goose lies and take it all and ware those who get in their way.

Hmm, I wonder why "Which side are you on?" has started playing in my head, I mean that's far away Harlan county, not New York, could never happen there.

Part 83, Chapter 1271
Chapter One Thousand Two Hundred Seventy-One

3rd March 1958

Pohnpei Island, Caroline Islands

Until Emil had mentioned it Maria had not realized it was a Monday. The pressures of work and home seemed very distant here. When Emil had first suggested that they go on this vacation she had been slightly put off by the notion. Traveling with Zella and Val was a dicey undertaking, then he had said that his idea was that they would go alone while Emil’s horrible children stayed home. Suddenly, the idea of a vacation seemed a lot more enticing.

Sure, Maria missed her children, but not having to listen to Zella complain loudly about the latest injustice that was the end of the world from her perspective or getting call from Val’s school about the latest prank that he had pulled had sounded like heaven. The island itself certainly was the very definition of paradise. The house that Emil had rented was outside one of the few towns on the island. Perched on a hillside the view of the Pacific Ocean and the jungle was spectacular.

When Maria had first arrived here with Emil, she had been too exhausted to notice. Before they had left home, there had been what seemed like a million things to take care of. Then traveling on a succession of airplanes. First a jet, followed by an old turboprop and finally an old flying boat that looked like it had been new well before the Second World War. They had arrived on Pohnpei in the middle of the night. All she had seen was a place with few electric lights, a lot of insects and torrential rain. It wasn’t until the next morning that she had discovered how beautiful it was.

Now sitting in the screened porch at the back of the house Maria had been looking through the mosquito netting and was wondering what to do with her day. Whatever you want. That was what Emil had said, he had mentioned something about going diving later on the invitation of some the year-round residents. Maria could see the clear water a few kilometers distant and that certainly sounded appealing. Maria had instead found herself thinking about her life. She was an Editor-in-Chief of a major newspaper and had written several books on various topics, but the one thing she had never written about was herself. With a pen and a notepad, she had started to write only to have Emil pull out a portable typewriter of the sort that clerks in the military used and a few reams of paper. “I knew you couldn’t help yourself” He said.

Emil knew that the point of a vacation was to do whatever they wanted. It was nice that he had known ahead of time what Maria would want to do. As Maria typed out the story of her Editor telling her that she was being sent to Rechlin-Lärz Airfield because the Fallschirmjäger Oberst in charge of security there had threatened to have her colleague, Friedrich Grossmann shot on sight. She smiled at the memory, Emil always was good at getting the point across.

Moscow, Russia

It was with great dismay that Gia opened the letter and discovered that a second friend was going to have a baby this summer. Now it was Ilse. That was an aspect of her life that Gia had not thought too much about until she was suddenly faced with it directly. Yes, she had looked into whether or not there was a possibility that she would pass on the family curse of hemophilia, but that had always been an abstraction. Presently, all Gia had was a succession of unsavory suitors…

“Podpolkovnik Volkov is here to see you” The Maid said upon entering the study of Gia’s Moscow flat. Speak of the devil and he appears, Gia thought to herself sourly.

“Let him in” Gia said with an exasperated sigh.

With that Fyodor entered the study. While he wasn’t the worst of her suitors, he was certainly the most persistent.

“You look beautiful today Sasha” Fyodor said.

“I thought you were in Siberia?” Gia asked, wondering why he kept coming back.

“I was until yesterday” Fyodor replied, “How else am I going to make my fortune so that I can impress the most glorious woman in all of Russia?”

It was all Gia could do not to show her obvious annoyance with Fyodor making a comment like that. “I am hardly out of the ordinary” She replied.

“You are wrong about that” Fyodor said, “Last April I saw you look a man in the eye and shoot him in the head. Perhaps one in a hundred are able to do that.”

“I am not proud that I did that” Gia said, “I lost control.”

Fyodor smiled, “You knew exactly what you were doing” He said, “You didn’t lose control, you were exactly who and what you pretend you are not. Underneath that education and cultured exterior is a passionate woman who did her best to kill the whoreson who hurt her adopted sister.”

“I have no idea what you are talking about” Gia said.

The look on Fyodor’s face basically said that he knew what she had said was bullshit.

“I am not blind” Fyodor said, “The physical resemblance between you and that German woman is remarkable. I understand that she was your body double at one point and after how you lost your family it’s entirely understandable that you would find a new one.”

At that moment Fyodor was lucky that Gia didn’t have a gun. Otherwise she would have shot a second deserving man in the head.

Last edited:
At that moment Fyodor was lucky that Gia didn’t have a gun. Otherwise she would have shot a second deserving man in the head.
Odds that Fyodor checked beforehand...

After all, Gia was brought up by the by this point widely acknowledged as one of the most lethal Soldiers in modern history, for not talk of the Boogeywoman for the predecessor of the current Spetnaz.....

Subtly asking beforehand if there are weapons around in this case its the SANE thing to do. Double so, if not triple so because she has killed before, AND she, regardless of the circumstances IS A ROMANOV, and a Romanov in a temper is something to be feared... If not Ask for some of Gia's ancestors.