AHC: Vice President for RFK in 1964

Let's assume the following scenario: The assassination of John F Kennedy in 1963 fails and he survives. However, because of the traumatic experience (coupled with his already deteriorated health prior to the assassination), JFK decides to not seek reelection in 1964 and endorses his brother Robert F Kennedy instead.

Under these circumstances, who could possibly (and plausibly) become RFK's running mate?

Last edited:
It would be very odd for JFK not to run unless he was incapacitated and unable to lead. If Kennedy doesn't run because he is just "traumatised," that wouldn't make much sense given he lived each day in extreme physical pain and risked his life in WWII, when his boat was sunk by the Japanese.

Anyway the best way to make RFK VP is to keep everything as in OTL until the 1964 Democratic convention. LBJ was afraid the convention would draft RFK, so he called up Tom Dewey for advice. Dewey suggested changes in the convention schedule that would prevent a "Kennedy stampede." The POD could be that Dewey misses Johnson's call, and the convention drafts Kennedy for VP. The Johnson/Kennedy ticket wins overwhelmingly in November.

We could always invoke health issues from Addison’s to prevent JFK in 1964. As for a VP...it won’t be LBJ. But balancing the ticket in a similar fashion is probably in order.

Thank you for your input, Amadeus.
Anyway the best way to make RFK VP is to [...]

However, securing the Vice Presidency for RFK himself is not what I had in mind; rather, I was asking for potential vice presidential candidates for a President Robert F Kennedy.

Thank you for your input, Amadeus.

However, securing the Vice Presidency for RFK himself is not what I had in mind; rather, I was asking for potential vice presidential candidates for a President RFK.

Sorry, I misunderstood the prompt. 1964 is too early for RFK under any realistic POD: his first real chance is 1968. In any case, Terry Sanford, Ralph Yarborough, or Carl Sanders would be fine running mates. Kennedy would need to pick a Southerner, albiet a moderate one who appeals to party liberals without offending conservatives.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
. . . 1964 is too early for RFK under any realistic POD: his first real chance is 1968. . .
If JFK is left slightly brain-damaged in which he’s trying to govern, also leaning upon cabinet members, and I really think Bobby was his closest presidential advisor while he was living, well . . . it gets messy who’s in charge, and I think Lyndon will be largely left out of the loop. Remember, this was before the 25th Amendment.

I can see a significant number of my fellow citizens going for Bobby in 1964, even though he was only 39. Out of sympathy vote (wish fellow citizens didn’t do this) and idea that while Jack was incapacitated, Bobby was often acting President.

Given his age and inexperience, the pick would likely be someone who older with a greater resume for balance yet, as with all VPs, won't overshadow him.

Former Congressman and the current Secretary of the Interior Stewart Udall would be a good choice for geographical purposes being from Arizona as was the Republican Presidential nominee Barry Goldwater.

Abraham Ribicoff, a then current Senator of Connecticut, former governor, and former H.E.W. Secretary, would have been an historic choice because of his religion although two New Englanders might have been considered a no-go.

Also from the US Senate Alan Bible (NV) or Al Gore (TN) would probably fit the bill.

A plethora of US Representatives such as Eugene Keogh (NY) would do the trick although selecting a woman like Leonor Sullivan (MO) or Martha Griffiths (MI) would have been groundbreaking.

UN Ambassador Adlai Stevenson II (whom RFK did not vote for in 1956).

W. Averell Harriman ticks a lot of boxes.

John Connally would have been a wild if morbid selection. His experience was at that point even less than RFK's but it would have been a bone tossed to LBJ.

Kennedy would need to pick a Southerner, albiet a moderate one who appeals to party liberals without offending conservatives.
That's what I thought, too. Wouldn't someone like Stuart Symington for example fit into this category as well? He was a senator from Missouri after all, and at age 63, could also qualify as something of an older advisor to a younger RFK.
Terry Sanford
Interesting, and very much what I had in mind already for a VP. A liberal southerner, proponent of educational reforms and anti-poverty legislation. At age 47, he could form a young, "dynamic" ticket with RFK.
Ralph Yarborough
Another good suggestion. Especially his support for the Great Society, his refusal to support the Southern Manifesto and his criticism of the Vietnam War make him a very likable character, in my opinion.
Carl Sanders
While he might be a suitable VP pick in 1968, he would be quite a bit too young and inexperienced, aged 39 in 1964. Especially if one considers that he only became Governor of Georgia in 1963.