Not My Heifer - The Story of an Alternate Indo-European Migration

Preface
So, before I start this timeline, I feel like it's worth noting that there are going to be some learning curves that may be difficult to surmount if you don't read the timeline from the beginning. That goes without saying for the genre we're all reading writing in here of course, but in this timeline it's especially the case. We will not be able to fall back on very many familiar places and concepts as the timeline goes on, as the point of departure is so far back in history with such an influential group of people IOTL that it literally butterflies all written history. Europe will never be called Europe, and Asia will never be called Asia, and all of the countries and mountain ranges on these continents will never be called what they are today, if they even exist with remotely the same borders in the case of the former. There will be lots and lots of BIG butterflies here, and I will do my best for now to make it easy by incorporating comparisons of our timeline and this timeline in the most tasteful manner I can think of, but as the timeline goes on, and certain names and places are well established, we will slowly phase out of this and perhaps into a more parentheses or perhaps notes-based comparison. We'll see.

It's also worth taking the time to mention that I hate the traditional Latin orthography of just about every language that was ever written with cuneiform, because in most cases they don't accurately represent the phonology at all. In between updates, I will be posting guides to my own orthographies of languages like Sumerian, Elamite, etc. They will definitely look funny to the eyes of anyone with at least a cursory knowledge of these languages, and for that I apologize, but I guess my apology isn't that sincere because I won't be altering my actions according to your annoyance :evilsmile:. I will also be including updates on the linguistic development of different language groups, as we are starting out waaaaaaaaaaaay back in time, and there will be lots and lots of time for some crazy developments, I think.

That's about all. I hope you all enjoy :noexpression:

The Ríxavaka
The Ríxavaka

What is history? That might sound like a very stupid question, but it’s occurred to me over the course of the passed couple of years that it’s something that we really tend take for granted, probably to our detriment. Now, I’m pretty sure that most of us aren’t going to make it into the history books, and I’m pretty sure that we’re all pretty sure of that, but the time that we lived in definitely will, and one has to wonder what the history books are going to have to say about it. I think that most people agree that we live in a divisive time, a time that we think of as being separate and even more divisive than the time our parents grew up in (the 1960s and 1970s for most of us), although the more time goes on in the future the less the two time periods are going to be differentiated.

Students of history know this, but to give an example, think of the way we categorize the era of Roman dominance over the Mediterranean Basin. Regular people whose historical knowledge can be surmized by the statement that Hitler killed the Jews and Lincoln freed the slaves will refer to the “Roman Empire”, but people who have done a little bit more reading on the subject will divide it into the “Roman Republic” and the “Roman Empire”, and maybe break it down further into the “Early Republic”, the “Mid-Republic”, the “Late Republic”, the “Principate” and the “Dominate”. But, all of those periods cover a pretty large span of time, when you think about it. A full 100 years passed between the death of Tiberius Gracchus and the election of Octavian to the consulship, and yet both events fall within the “Late Republic” phase. A full 100 years has gone by for us between the end of World War I, which for awhile was called the “Great War” before the sequel came out, and today. Do you think the history books we read at school pick up on all the nuances that led to this and that? Just ask your parents about what they saw going on when they were young. They might have a completely different idea of what happened. Hell, some of the events that we get taught in school are full-fledged fabrications! Take the Gulf of Tonkin incident, which was the catalyst for the United States’ entry into the Vietnam War. It never happened. There was no attack on August 4th, and the former Secretary of Defense, Robert S. McNamara admitted it. But we still learn it happened in school, of course… at least I did, and everyone else in my classroom did too. Maybe things have changed now.

What will people say about today? There’s quite a few seriously divisive incidents today that people can’t agree on, and our capacity to track the progress of narratives in real time is greater than it ever has been. Take the death of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri, or the death of Trayvon Martin in Sanford, Florida. Do you know what happened there? I’m pretty sure I do, but maybe you’re pretty sure you do too, and maybe we don’t agree. Maybe we’re basing our information off of different primary sources, and we’re convinced of the credibility of our sources, and neither one of us is going to listen to the other. So, who is right?

Today, we look back at epic poems and stories like Homer’s Iliad or the Great Cattle Raid of Cooley rather snidely and say, “That’s not history.” Says you, but then… how would you know? We take for granted our normally cursory knowledge of the laws of physics and dismiss entire narratives because they contain elements we would call “supernatural”, or because they describe things that aren’t necessarily in line with our understanding of the archaeological record, but then our understanding of the archaeological record is sometimes pretty piss poor. We know next to nothing about the entirety of the Bronze Age, for example, when we compare it to a later period in history, like the “Late Republic” in Rome, or even “Classical Greece”. Are there any surviving debates between the scholars of Ancient Hatti, or the philosophers of Elam? I think we can all agree that these people probably had some level of intellectual discourse going on in their societies, but precious little of it remains today, so little in fact, that in most of the languages of the time period we can’t even answer a simple yes or no question. It’s… kinda bad, really, and yet we securely sit at our desks and say that the entire narrative of the Iliad is either totally fabricated or is only loosely based in reality, maybe describing a military campaign of ancient Mycenae in rather embelished detail. But, how would you even know whether or not there was actually an Agamemnon, an Achilles, or a Paris? Maybe these were real people, who really strove against each other, and the only parts of the narrative that are invented are the parts about their divine lineage. It’s not like we even have multiple versions of the story to compare here, now is it?

The historians in another time have the same problem, of course. Just like our time, this time is riddled with fantastic narratives whose purpose is to tell the truth through metaphor, and to provide a basis on which people divide themselves into groups. One such story, the Ríxavaka, literally “the story of the feud”, the foundational epic of a country once known as Sírkāna (we know the general area as Azerbaijan), actually contains a lot of relevant material in terms of mapping the patterns of the migrations of a group of people that in our time are called “Indo-Europeans”. Sure, it’s full of a lot of the supernatural, like how the heroes Ħurvā́thevir pāvir Vápsandras and his companion Vaulkhangas pāvir Kunakirχas allegedly slew a giant named Krū́χsekarx, who was the son of the king of the underworld, who in turn kidnapped both of their wives, with the ultimate climax of their quest having been their katabasis, and their negotiation with said king who agreed to let them free, sending them off with apples from his personal tree as parting gifts and apologizing for his vengeful behavior. It is only when they are at the gate of the underworld that the wife of Ħurvā́thevir, Panţiphā, takes a bite of her apple and is unable to leave. That probably didn’t happen, but what actually did happen, was that the two men were real, they were widely renowned in their home country for their time, and they did in fact, as the story says, move to sire a dynasty that would unite the warring tribes of their homeland. This part is found in the second half of the epic, and it begins something like so…

‘A long, long, long time ago it was as it was in the oldest of days, when the rains seldom came in the great wide open plain of Χaghrī, and the forests receded and the plain widened, and the people of that vast country bickered amongst themselves over the expanse of pasture, for it was dry, and without the waters the grass was brittle and fruitless. There in that expanse a great many warriors’ blood stained the grass, and it was that kin was turned against kin and the people were dispersed thither that they might graze their livestock without fear of rustling nor of bondage. Many departed the country and followed the shore of the sea to the forests of the tallest fir and most ancient oak and yew, while others still remained behind in the widening plain, clinging to Prī Sálsavanţi and her life-giving water, which flowed from the far away northern forest.

Among those people who had remained there on the plain of Χaghrī were two great and aged warriors of whom so very many long songs were sung, many of which have long passed out of remembrance, whose names were Vaulkhangas pāvir Kunakirχas and Ħurvā́thevir pāvir Vāpsandras, together the slayers of the flesh-eating giant Krū́χsekarx and the two-headed beast Thunvailas, who, in their bond forged through the toils of their hands and the perils suffered shoulder to shoulder elected to join their blood a second time, with the marriage of the daughter of Vaulkhangas to the son of Ħurvā́thevir. Sired of different clans were they, the Thaukais and the Virnakais, but no less was the bond between them, for it is more than blood that can make brothers of men, so said the Snū́mī, the eldest of the Phaktayas.

Though two men cannot merely conspire to wed their children, no, for a man who does not pay justly to the father of his bride to be or to the bride herself a fair price cannot take a woman who is not a slave of the flesh to his bed, and so it was that Ħurvā́thevir went to his son and bid him, “Χaghrevaulkas, would you take to wife the fair daughter of my bond-brother, with whom I have shared the toils and perils of this world?” And his son said, “Do you speak of Sekandrī of the Virnakais, she whose skin is as fair as snow and soft as the pedals of a flower just bloomed, with hair of red flame and eyes of hoarfrost?” “I speak of she, what price would you offer her and her father for her wrist to be joined to yours beneath the lace?” At the question Χaghrevaulkas was flummoxed, for while it was that he was the son of a fierce warrior, a clever hunter, and a great smith, he was naught but a boy who kept bees for company, and charmed them of their honey, and so the only answer he could offer was a shrug of his shoulders. “Do you not desire her, my son? Do you not think her blood worthy of mixing with your own?” “I desire her father, surely, but who am I to ask one as she to join the wrist beneath the lace?” “Verily, you are my son. What is it that makes you think of yourself so? Are your eyes not keen enough to spot a hare, nor your ears not enough to hear the panting of wolves? Does the magic of Warganã not flow through your hands?” “No, father. My eyes are keen and mine ears sharp, but not as yours are. My eyes can spot a hare some fathoms away, and my ears can hear the panting of the wolves if there is no other sound, but -”

“You are not quick to the draw on the back of the stallion? Do your arrows not strike birds in the midst of flight? Do you not paint with your sword as skillfully as the potter does with his brush? Tell me, tell me true - what ails you so, that you would think yourself unworthy of the daughter of my bond-brother?” “I am quick to the draw on the back of the stallion, though not as quick as you or many others, father. My arrow hit a bird in the midst of flight but once, and my sword paints no more skillfully than that of any other man. You see me not as I am, but as you are. I am not worthy of a woman so fair and well-bred as she, and so I have not the heart to bring a price to Sekandrī. I would be struck dumb at her gaze.”

At this Ħurvā́thevir let out a thunderous laughter for a time, and his son shrank at the sound of it, until at last he lifted his son’s eyes to his own and he said, “Take heart! You are my son, and if I slew a giant to bring the price of his teeth to be joined at the wrist with your mother, surely you can bring a price worthy of a maid such as she. I see myself in you because you are my blood.” “But, what price should I bring her?” His father smiled at him, “Only the groom can know the bride’s price, now go.”’

There’s some relevant information in there, of course. Right away, we know that the people live on a great plain, a steppe, and that that steppe is widening because the rains aren’t coming. It’s a time of drought, which precipitates inter-tribal conflict as tribes can’t graze their cattle, and some of the tribes migrated “along the shore of the sea to the forests of the tallest fir and most ancient oak and yew, “ while other tribes “remained behind in the widening plain, clinging to Prī Sálsevanţi and her life-giving water”. We might think of Prī Sálsevanţi as a river, a river that “was come from the far away northern forest” according to other narratives of the same people, and from here it could be inferred that the river in question is either the Volga or the Don. We might also think of the people migrating “along the shore of the sea to the forests of the tallest fir and most ancient oak and yew,” as having migrated into a place we know as Eastern Europe, because if they had migrated around the shore of the Caspian Sea, they wouldn’t run into forests of oak and yew for quite awhile, would they?

Now, from here, the story tells us that Χaghrevaulkas traveled a considerable distance to a remote, mountainous kingdom of riches called Súphuri, where he hopes to trade the honey of his bee-friends for a necklace of “azure stone” (lapis lazuli), which will be his dower, but to get there he has to travel with the merchants of the Χasalkais, who are apparently the only people who know where the “Gates of Párukhař” are. The merchants take the purified honey as payment, leaving him with only the honeycombs, though some of them are apparently cautious about doing so, as they fear that the smell of the honey will attract a race of bone axe-wielding wildmen that frequent the mountains they’ll be passing through, but these wildmen are covered in hair that has magical properties, embuing them with supernatural strength and skill. For this reason, they are usually dispatched with fire, as removing the hair in any way will make them weaker, but Χaghrevaulkas is able to grasp one of them by the hair of his belly and cut some off, weakening the wildman’s stomach to Χaghrevaulkas’ blows, and he proceeds to beat him until he can’t escape. Seeing that the others have made off with his honey, he then removes the hair from his body, leaving the man helpless and naked, and tells him to disappear into the forest, while the Χasalkian merchants stand in wonder and horror, cause they’ve never seen anything like that before. They tell him that he should make a coat out of the hair, as it will give him the strength and skill of the wildmen, but he decides instead that he will indeed make a coat, but that he’ll use the coat to barter for a necklace of “azure stone”.

It’s of course worth noting not only the name of the country that is their destination, but also how it’s described. The Ríxavaka isn’t the only version of the story in this time (as you might expect), but it’s the best known, and all of them agree more or less on not only the pronunciation of the name (Súphura, Súphari, Syphárā, Súphār), but also that it’s a relatively, mountainous country of “many traders of confused tongues”. All of the versions also agree that the people of this country are dishonest, and attempt to cheat Χaghrevaulkas out of his coat, asking what proof he can provide that it is made from the magical hair of the wildmen, offering him every kind of stone for it except the ones he is after. He finally finds a feeble old merchant whose eyesight is failing him, but recognizes the touch of the wildmen’s hair, and offers him all of the stones in his possession in return for the coat, which might not repair his eyesight, but will make him fit enough again to travel and trade. The old man is the god Tanχus Kirχanas, a god of nature mostly associated with healing, disease, forests, and the hunt, and he is recognized by Χaghrevaulkas as being something other than he seemed, while the stones that he gives Χaghrevaulkas include enough “azure stones” to make a necklace, but they are uncut and unpolished, though the god promises him that it will not be long before a solution presents itself here. Before long, the goddess Susχānī appears to Χaghrevaulkas in a dream and beseeches him to find the son of the storm god, Máktanas, who has disappeared in a fit of rage over his wife’s infidelity, stating that the gods have not been able to find him on their own, and that she will give his “azure stones” to the goddess Nana herself to be made into a proper necklace for the dower in return. When he asks the goddess how he will be able to accomplish such a task, he is told that he already is able to see things that regular men don’t, and to trust in his own abilities. From here, he sets up a beehive and follows a certain bee into a crevice-like pit where a mound of flowering vines appears to be growing over something that’s alive, as they move up and down as though something is breathing, or rather snoring (the tale describes a terrible groaning sound from beneath the vines).

Carefully cutting away the vines reveals the son of the storm god, but he is in a deep sleep and unable to be awakened. Χaghrevaulkas calls on the goddess of magic, Sevaraţī, to wake Máktanas from his deep sleep, but she doesn’t answer. It is only when he stabs the god in the arm, smearing him with beeswax accidentally, that the god wakes up and lets out a terrible cry, loud enough for the entire world to hear. All manner of problems immediately begin to ensue as the son of the storm god rises to his feet, and knocks Χaghrevaulkas to the ground. The winds pick up and within moments the world is harrassed by tornadoes, lightning, and hale, knocking over “a hundred, hundred thousand trees”, giant tidal waves wash inland for miles and miles where the land is flat, and the sound of his anger “crumbles the tops of the mountains and sends them tumbling in a torrent of earth and stone”. Sevaraţī is able to hear this, and shows up in the cave to distract the angry god with an illusion of his wife while Χaghrevaulkas is instructed to gather various ingredients for the ritual of his purification and the removal of his anger, which include oak sap, chaff, grain, olives, figs, cedar essence, malt, honey (which Χaghrevaulkas already has handy), cow’s cream, olive oil, and six heifers and six bulls from a sacred herd of none other than the god that put him on the whole quest - Tanχus Kirχanas. Once these ingredients have been provided, Máktanas is purified, his anger directed into the underworld, and he is returned to the heavens and to his wife. It’s important to note here however, that Χaghrevaulkas stole a seventh heifer - Χāsákī - from the herd that he hid away in the woods while the ritual was taking place, one that he hoped to use as the bride price to his future father-in-law, Vaulkhangas.

This last part is significant, as it would ring familiar to the ear of someone trained in the myths of the ancient Near East in our time. Disappearing god motives are a common feature in the region at the time, with the most familiar example being with Demeter and Persephone, but another well-enough known story of a disappearing god was the story of Telipinu, the Hittite/Hurrian son of the storm god who went missing for reasons unknown, but was found by a bee sent by Ḫannaḫanna, which found him in a deep slumber and stung him to wake him, sending him into an angry fit which the goddess of magic, Kamrusepa, had to calm by ritually purifying him and diverting his anger into the underworld. The details of the story here are very specific, and they match up quite nicely, which should tell us that this is either an original Indo-European story, or that this portion of the story was adapted to the narrative at a time when the tellers of the Ríxavaka were exchanging mythemes with people in a place that in another time and in a language that would never be spoken would be called Anatolia. It therefore is probably not an original part of the story, and indeed many of the other versions of this story detail a very different quest being undertaken by the hero to get the “azure stones” cut and polished and made into a necklace befitting his future bride. Hence, this part of the story probably doesn’t tell us very much about what spurred the migrations, but it does tell us something about the route of migration undertaken by the peoples in question, which was one that put them into regular contact with the cultural complex of peoples that we might call variously Hurrian or Urartian.

The next part of the story is perhaps more useful in terms of understanding what happened and why. Now, for his service to the gods, he is rewarded with the necklace of “azure stones” personally by the goddess Nana, and he returns to his home country, where a great feast is held to celebrate the joining of the blood of Ħurvā́thevir pāvir Vápsandras and Vaulkhangas pāvir Kunakirχas. Everyone is happy, except Tanχus Kirχanas, who has by now discovered that the heifer in question was stolen from his sacred herd. Thus, the heifer was bewitched, and when she was slated for sacrifice only a year later to guarantee the rains, Sevaraţī appeared to Sekandrī in a dream and told her to release her for fear that the sacrifice of a bewitched heifer could anger the storm god, Slákanas. The releasing of the sacred heifer and the accusation that it had been stolen by Χaghrevaulkas from the sacred herd demanded that the bride price be properly met if his betrothal to Sekandrī was to be maintained. At this point in time, having already suffered a great deal to get her the necklace she wore around her neck and her father the heifer which had now been released onto the steppe, Χaghrevaulkas rebuked Sekandrī in an attempt to save face, but also because he was insulted by her father’s perceived ingrattitude.

Displeased by his dishonesty, Tanχus Kirχanas guided the heifer back to the Virnakais, and the disease that was her curse infected the other cattle, and caused so many of them to die that they were soon forced to rustle some of the cattle of the Thaukais. This idea was presented by a man named Laxandras, who beseeched the very same god that had bewitched the heifer to guide them quietly to the lands of their newfound enemies so that they could rustle the cattle in secret. The god made himself known to Χaghrevaulkas’ father, Ħurvā́thevir, on purpose however, and when asked why, he spoke a curse on his people, which is variously phrased but generally states that the god was angry with his son for having been so insolent to steal from him when it was he who had spoken on his behalf to the other gods of his ability to see what other’s couldn’t, and that he had judged him wrongly, and now his son would pay for it. Refusing to believe this, Ħurvā́thevir took to organizing the raid that would rustle the cattle back, a raid that saw him cripplingly wounded, and also saw the death of Sekandrī’s brother, Tarkā́stras.

Seeking to diffuse the conflict, the elders of the Thaukais consulted an ancient spirit that is named only in the story as Kunţápalas, who suggested that a representative of either family - not clan - fight to the death, and that the justice of the matter be decided by the gods according to whomsoever the victor should be. Being unfit for combat as he was after the raid, Ħurvā́thevir could not represent his family, nor could he bring himself to fight his old companion, Vaulkhangas, who was the logical representative of his own family in light of the death of his son, and so Χaghrevaulkas would go in his father’s stead. This was against the behest of Χaghrevaulkas sister, Χandremámnā, who thought that one of their uncles should go. Seeing that no one would listen to her though, she took to lacing her brother’s sword with poison so as to guarantee his triumph. However, this plan backfired when it was obvious to anyone that was watching that Χaghrevaulkas was wielding a poisoned blade, as the wounds he sustained at the hands of his would-be father-in-law were critical, while the wound he inflicted on Vaulkhangas was a minor one to the shoulder. The shock was apparent on the hero’s face, even as he was nearing the loss of consciousness for loss of blood, and even he was in agreement once he was healthy enough to speak again the next day that the fight was in one way or another rigged, and that his debt to the Virnakais and to the gods had not been settled.

In light of the circumstances of his opponent’s death, he rode to the camp the Virnakais in the night, snuck into the tent of his former betrothed, and drew her out onto the steppe, where he beseeched her to kill him, for he was unwilling to live with the disgrace of everything he had caused to happen. He explained to her that he had made his intent clear to his parents when he had rode out that night, and that his family might try to stop him if she did not hurry. He handed her his sword and knelt before her, but the grief-stricken girl couldn’t bring herself to kill the hero who had gone to such lengths to win her hand, and she dropped the sword and began to kiss him, and the two made love. She immediately fell pregnant when he climaxed inside her, but shortly afterward, he was killed with three arrows - one to the throat, two to the heart - that were fired by her mother, Ṣinkhevakī, who explained to her daughter that his death would satisfy fate, which had been cheated by his poisoned sword. But fate doesn’t seem to have been satisfied with his death, as members of Χaghrevaulkas’ family showed up on the scene and, in revenge for the murder of one of their own, killed Ṣinkhevakī and raped Sekandrī. The story states that the rape was committed by various members of the family, including Χaghrevaulkas’ younger brother, Martáuras and his uncle, Χaghrešinkhas, the former of whom was the first to do so and subsequently sired a son by superfecundation.

With the immediate male members of the family dead, it is Laxandras who takes up the mantle of avenging the honor of his kinswoman (although his exact relation to Sekandrī is never stated), and he challenges every last one of the warriors of the Thaukais to single combat. This process begins with Χandremámnā’s husband, Vḗlakas, who is the first of a number of warriors to fall to Laxandras, but ends with Χandremámnā herself, who challenges him after her younger brother, Martáuras and her uncle Χaghrešinkhas have been killed. She is victorious where all of the other men in her clan were not, but not solely because of her actual skill in battle, but because she prays to her mother, who is now a wife of the king of the underworld, to release some of the fury of the son of the storm god, Máktanas, into her so that she can have the strength to beat such a great warrior and win back her family’s honor. Though she is victorious, Laxandras strikes a blow to her that lands her mortally wounded, and she dies within a few days, cursing the Virnakais and the gods for hers and her family’s misfortune.

The story ends with the merger of the two peoples into one, having lost many of their manfolk, and with most of those who had a steak in the feud having now been killed, Ħurvā́thevir reconciling with Sekandrī, adopting her as his daughter and raising his grandsons as his own.

Last edited:
Not My Heifer: What Really Happened Part I
Not My Heifer: What Really Happened Part I

So… what did all of that mean? Well, it’s a story, one that is told widely in this time that paints a more or less accurate picture of the events that played a very big role in shaping the world as the people of this time know it. Obviously some parts of it weren’t true, but others actually were… actually, a lot of it was.

It was definitely true that Vaulkhangas and Ħurvā́thevir were people of note for their time. They’re names weren’t pronounced that way of course, but the names in the Ríxavaka are actually descended from their real names, Wḷ́kwogéngos and Ħuruwáχdhwṛ, and their people were the Wṛnókoes and Dháwokoes. The location of the events in question was in a place we might call Russia, near a range of low mountains known to us as the Urals, and their people we would attribute to an archaeological culture known as the “Khvalynsk Culture”. It was true that they had been companions, but the “giant” they slew was a man with gigantism who had been turned out of his tribe for his deformity as a child and hated his people. The story of the man whose name would one day be said Ħurvā́thevir and his wife having to stay in the underworld after having eaten one of its apples was a later mytheme grafted onto an older story, and is something that isn’t shared with every version. In truth, his wife was alive at the time that the feud described in the Ríxavaka broke out, and her name was Χṇrēmémneχ, a name that was later given to her daughter and said Χandremámnā, who also took over some of her attributes in the story.

So, how does the real story go?

Well, Wḷ́kwogéngos and Ħuruwáχdhwṛ did indeed plan to sire a dynasty with the marriage of their children that would unite the tribes of the steppe, and Ħuruwáχdhwṛ’s son, Tṇtī́los (yes, his name was not a version of Χaghrevaulkas), and Tṇtī́los did indeed travel to a country known to its people as Subur in a place we know as Northern Mesopotamia to acquire stones of lapis lazuli for the dower. The wildmen he encountered were stone-age hunter-gatherers of mountains we call the Caucasus who grew their beards for their entire lives, believing that they embued them with magical strength and prowess in battle, and he did slice the beard off one and was actually able to trade the magical hair (recognized by the distinct clay and ochre mixture used to paint it) for enough lapis lazuli to make a necklace, though only after a great deal of haggling because of the general dishonesty of many of the merchants of the region and their unwillingness to deal with a northern savage such as himself. The stones were uncut and unpolished, but there was no quest to find the son of the storm god to make them fit for a necklace, but rather, Tṇtī́los traveled further into a place known at the time as Khienkir (Sumer), a land between two great rivers that emptied into the sea and offered his services as a horse trainer for two years, and ended up having to give away all of his lapis lazuli stones except for one at various points on his journey. The last one was a big one though, and he was able to take it back to a girl named Skandriχ for her dower, who was a redhead, but was not a woman, not by our standards anyways… she was only 12.

For the bride price he offered a heifer, Χeħsŵókwiħ, with a soft but thick white coat that faded to black on her hooves, her snout, and about her eyes. Hence the name, as it meant “ashen eyes” in the parlance of their people. He didn’t acquire this heifer from a sacred heard of the god Tanχus Kirχanas, but the heifer was considered to be of prestigious lineage by the standards applied to bovines, her mother having been a gift from the chieftain for whom the poor man with gigantism had been slain by Tṇtī́los’s father, and she was his personal property. The “curse” that had befallen the heifer in question was merely a contagious disease, a common enough one among cattle that we call “shipping fever”, that we also have the benefit of understanding as being explainable by scientific means. But this was a time long before the scientific method, something that we certainly take for granted today, and that wasn’t necessarily how such matters were handled back then…

But… back then… when? What time are we talking about? Ours, or… “theirs”?

Well… both, I suppose. See, Tṇtī́los and Skandriχ, Ħuruwáχdhwṛ, Wḷ́kwogéngos, and Χṇrēmémneχ were all real people, for us and “them”. Their names were preserved in this other time, but not in ours, because in our timeline Skandriχ listened to her father when she objected to the heifer being sacrificed on the grounds that she was ill, because he explained the symptoms of her illness as the animal’s knowledge of what was to come. “She knows.” He told her, “They always know. We are not the only things that the gods speak to, my dear.” In our time, Skandriχ listened to the wind howl all night long, and no matter what she thought of it, she never plucked up the courage to act. But in another time, in the one we’re reading about right now, she did, and even a little girl can change the course of history entirely with the smallest action.

What was that about the wind, though? Well, for your average person today, a gust of wind is nothing more than the inconvenient rapid movement of air that might mess up the hair that they spent the morning preparing to appear “presentable” to the people that they will encounter at work. They might think this, because they understand that the wind is merely one of many forces of nature with a simple explanation behind it. Maybe they can’t articulate that explanation themselves, but they’re confident enough in its simplicity that the movements of the air and the howling that it may produce are secure to be completely meaningless on a level deeper than say, making sure to hold on tighter to a few stapled sheets of paper. A knowledgeable person in today’s world could tell you that the wind is not just gusts of “air”, but the “flow of gases on a large scale”. This could be applied to the gases that make up our atmosphere (what we might collectively call “air”), or to the gases that make up our sun (solar wind), etc., but even to such a person as this, the movements of the wind are meaningless unless they’re powerful enough to do damage to anything man-made.

That hasn’t always been the case, though. For much of history (ours and theirs), to a great many people, the elements - of which wind is obviously one - were thought of as personable to some degree or another. This might have been realized in gods or other characters in the various stories that people told to explain the world around them, or it might have simply been that an element could be coaxed into behaving a certain way with the right stimuli. Take for example, the old belief among sailors that the sea could be “angered”, particularly by the presence of a woman on board a ship, but that it could be “calmed” by the woman’s bare breasts. Today this is often thought of as a convenient explanation for the smarmy desires of sexually frustrated sailors, who might not have the opportunity for sexual release with a woman for months out of the year, but this pays little attention to the very real belief among many throughout the ages in the anthropomorphic characteristics of things that we consider today to be nothing more than the products of random happenstance.

People in the past might have paid attention to the sounds of the howling wind, and even more so to what was carried on it, or to sudden gusts of it. If the wind howled, it might be trying to “speak”, but it could also speak indirectly if it brought rain clouds behind it or perhaps an object - a leaf, a flower, some pollen, perhaps - or if it simply kicked up without a preceding breeze.

This was the case some 5,500 years before present, long before pen was put to paper or even wedge to clay to record the goings on of the world, that girl named Skandriχ listened to the wind howl, and in our time and this other time she interpreted the howling of the wind over her family’s animal-skin tent at night to be an omen of displeasure from the gods at the sacrifice offered up by her father to satiate the sun and bring rain to the grasslands that they called home. She wanted to do something about it, and in this time she did. She was very close to the heifer in question, you see. No cow was ever more affectionate, at least not with her. When the heifer wasn’t showering her with kisses, she was dancing for joy at the sight of Skandriχ or burrying her large head beneath the girl’s arms for a cuddle. Even Skandriχ’s father had commented once after observing the bond that the two shared that, “It appears the bride price should be made the dower.” She was not about to let the ŵrḗks make a public spectacle of cutting her throat and draining her blood as an offering. But second, and perhaps more importantly in the broader scope of things, Χeħsŵókwiħ, despite all her love and promises of fertility was an unworthy offering. Skandriχ didn’t believe for a minute what her father had said about the gods having appeared to her before she’d been slated to die. She knew what her heifer looked like when she was at peace, and she hadn’t looked like that for days. She was ill, somehow or other, and the howling of the wind that kept her and only her up was Perkwunos telling her that he would not accept her heifer.

She got up and began to dress herself, taking incredible care with each movement to make as little sound as possible. Her parents were out cold from an evening drinking to enduce a spiritual trance, but her brother and sister were still liable to be woken and to in turn wake their parents should they suspect her motives. But as she fastened the leather laces of her moccasins by the door of her tent, she heard a voice behind her, “What are you doing?” it said. It was her brother, Terkwóχtres.

“I have to piss…” It was the quickest lie she could conjure up.

“Why do you need your shoes two piss?” He said, his eyes still not yet fully open.

“It’s cold…” a stupid lie, considering that it was so hot that the whole tribe had taken to sleeping naked, and could barely stand the touch of their blankets.

“Indeed… it’s cold…” he said softly, throwing his blanket off and reaching for his breechcloth.

“What are you doing?” She whispered, part confused, part horrified.

“You’re going to go free Χeħsŵókwiħ, aren’t you?”

“No! No I’m not…” She insisted, “…I… just have to piss. Please. I’m not a princess. I don’t need an escort.”

“Yes, you are.” He said, “You think I still suck on my fingers? You’re not a princess, but I know what you’re up to.” He said, fastening the wasteband of his breechcloth.

“Go back to sleep, please.”

“I’m not going to let you have all the fun.” He laughed, quietly.

Skandriχ didn’t know what to say, but her brother had proven trustworthy in the past, even if only on matters more trivial. The heifer had been slated for sacrifice for the good of the tribe, and it could be argued that by releasing her, Skandriχ would be tampering with everyone’s welfare by potentially angering the gods. She could be shamed, so much so that Tṇtī́los’ mother might insist on another bride and compensation for the bride price, which was a fact that her sister made sure to remind her of as they approached the door of their tent again after having chased the heifer with tearful eyes out onto the steppe. “Shut up, Wṛnóŵṇgus!” Skandriχ told her younger sister through clenched teeth, “I’ll pull your hair out if you tell!”

“Go ahead and pull all my hair out! I don’t care. I’m still telling!”

“Ssssshhhht!!!” Terkwóχtres hissed as he clamped his hand tightly over his youngest sister’s mouth, “If you tell mother and father, then you’ll ruin everything. Skandriχ won’t be able to marry Tṇtī́los, and you’ll never get married either. Everyone will hate us. They’ll turn us out on the steppe, and word of our shame will be so widespread that not even the Ghweróŵkwes will take us in. Shut… up.”

Simple enough, right?

A few days later however, the heifer returned, but by now she was undeniably ill as she was emitting mucus from her nose. It was determined that Skandriχ had been right about the animal’s condition, and that as such it would make an unfitting sacrifice, and so a red bull from another family was selected instead. Within the following days the heifer died, and her surrogate owner cried over her corpse while her parents muddled over how to solve the crisis of their bride price. Because clearly, this was an omen. The cow had been slated for offering and had become sick beforehand, meaning that she had been bewitched somehow or other. Certainly, she had not been bewitched while in the custody of the Wṛnókoes, as she had scarcely left the sight of anyone in the immediate family that owned her, but it was possible that someone within the tribe of her origin, the Dháwokoes, someone who perhaps disapproved of the match between young Skandriχ and Tṇtī́los had done the bewitching. But who? It didn’t matter really, because the white heifer that had been touted as a gift that would keep giving for decades to come had fallen ill only two years later and died, and the Dháwokoes should consider themselves lucky should compensation in livestock be all that Skandriχ’s family asked for, and it was.

But, it was at this time that Wṛnóŵṇgus decided to open her mouth, because the whole affair was dishonest and, more importantly in the mind of a 9-year-old girl, unfair. She understood the general idea of the bride price of course, but the way the concept was put into practice in the specific context of her family made her jealous. Last time a handsome boy’s family had offered a bride price for her older sister, a heifer that loved Skandriχ so much that she literally danced for joy at the sight of her was given. What was worse was that her father had even joked that the heifer might be going with her sister as her personal inheritance when she was to be married. What was next? Another lapis lazuli necklace? Maybe this time the stones held in gold? No. It wasn’t fair, it was all a lie anyways, and she wasn’t going to stand for it. Besides that, who was to say that the heifer hadn’t gotten sick or been bewitched AFTER her sister chased it out onto the steppe? Χeħsŵókwiħ could very well have run into all manner of nonsense out there, and it was inconsiderate and unjust that the family of her future husband should have to give up heaven only knew what else for her folly. So, she made up her mind to tell her parents what her sister had done, which of course changed matters entirely.

See, it was only right that everyone knew the truth, but once they did, things took a rather unexpected turn. Wṛnóŵṇgus didn’t think that Tṇtī́los’ parents would break off the engagement, but the timing of her revelation as having been after her parents had already spoken to them about the bewitched nature of the heifer they had gifted them made sure that her brother’s prophecy that telling would “ruin everything” came true. At the very least, Skandriχ was dishonest and willing to make her in-laws pay dearly for what was probably her own mistake, but at the worst, she came from a family and perhaps even a tribe of dishonest extortionists. Either way, the marriage was off. However, it didn’t really matter how politely Skandriχ was rebuked, because the bride price had already been paid, and many on the Wṛnókian side of the matter thought that the heifer had likely been bewitched, and Skandriχ had done everyone a great service by chasing her away the night before she was to be sacrificed, as the sacrifice of a bewitched heifer would have surely brought down the wrath of the gods. The Dháwokoes therefore, were not within their rights to rebuke her without compensation, as they had done. But from the Dháwokian perspective, it was the Wṛnókoes who owed them a heifer, at least, as it was their precious white heifer that had been given as price for a bride that had now been rebuked.

Things developed further however, when another one of Wḷ́kwogéngos’ cows fell ill. The jinx was apparently contagious, and the animal had to be quarantined, ritually purified, and finally sacrificed to the spirits of pestilence and its flesh left out on the steppe for the wolves. But other cows soon began to fall ill, and within months, so many had succumbed to the jinx that had originated with that pesky heifer gifted by the damned Dháwokoes that the people were talking about rustling their cattle, and thus was set in motion a feud, a long, costly feud that rerouted the migrations of an entire people.

Oh so that's what a heifer is.
When I read it in the brainstorming thread, I assumed it was some sort of strange expression.
Anyway, subscribed.

How great, it's here! Of course I'll be watching this.
So, am I right in surmising that you attribute to / localise the emergence of the Yamnaya horizon to contacts between Late Khvalynsk and Maykop? And that ITTL, we have a similar but different Indo-European expansion instead of said Yamnaya, caused by tribal warfare, division and strife at a crucial moment?
Does that mean that the Late Khvalynsk people we have read about are not the nucleus of alt-Yamnaya at all? (And perhaps some other group, a more Southerly or Easterly one, is the nucleus?) Or does it just mean it happens slightly later, at a moment when Mesopotamia exerts even greater attraction (or whatever it is that causes a Southward instead of a Westward migration)?

I love your conlanged PIE names.

IT'S HERE.

Yes, it is.

How great, it's here! Of course I'll be watching this.
So, am I right in surmising that you attribute to / localise the emergence of the Yamnaya horizon to contacts between Late Khvalynsk and Maykop? And that ITTL, we have a similar but different Indo-European expansion instead of said Yamnaya, caused by tribal warfare, division and strife at a crucial moment?
Does that mean that the Late Khvalynsk people we have read about are not the nucleus of alt-Yamnaya at all? (And perhaps some other group, a more Southerly or Easterly one, is the nucleus?) Or does it just mean it happens slightly later, at a moment when Mesopotamia exerts even greater attraction (or whatever it is that causes a Southward instead of a Westward migration)?

I love your conlanged PIE names.

Yes, you would be on the first bit, on the second bit, not really. It's not necessarily a crucial moment, it's just a moment, a point in time before the bulk of the Indo-European-speaking tribes started migrating westward. I'm not sure I understand your line of questioning beyond that, though. The next update will explain a little more here, and I should have it ready for all of you by tomorrow :). Also, I appreciate the compliment, cuz I worked very hard to come up not just with the names but the language that they belong to, and it's a work in progress ;)

A great start. Anything special you do to create PIE names?

Not really. Indo-European names are pretty straightforward, I think. I have trouble with a lot of the names of the ancient Middle East though, cuz they were very into sentence-names at the time ("He is Divine", "I am Nanna's son", etc.). I just changed up the orthography, cuz I can't have a bunch of numbers marking the "laryngeals". That would be... hideous.

Is the brainstorming thread still open? Just because I had an idea based on a civilization following a system of parallel inheritance (where daughters inherit from their mothers and sons from their fathers), and some of its consequences. As who knows what might have evolved in Europe if the place didn't get steamrolled by the Indo-Europeans.

Is the brainstorming thread still open? Just because I had an idea based on a civilization following a system of parallel inheritance (where daughters inherit from their mothers and sons from their fathers), and some of its consequences. As who knows what might have evolved in Europe if the place didn't get steamrolled by the Indo-Europeans.

Yes it is. Go ahead and post away :)

Not My Heifer: What Really Happened Part II, and the Fallout
Not My Heifer: What Really Happened Part II, and the Fallout

So a cow got sick and died, and there was some finger pointing… so what? Well, the question of the bride price was a question of honor, of course. You might think that’s silly, but take a moment and think about what your honor means to you. You might be inclined to say that you “don’t give a fuck”, and maybe the lyrics to some inexplicably popular songs might come to mind. “I back it up, cause I don’t give a fuck”, or perhaps, “I don’t give a fuck, I don’t, I don’t, I don’t give a fuck!” It’s a stupid and childish fantasy really, the idea that you don’t care what other people think of your character. Of course you care. You know that the best way to encourage others to be honest with you is to be honest with them, and you need them to be honest with you, because your well-being often depends on it. The people who truly don’t care normally end up in jail, because their lack of conscience and forsight lands them there when they do things that are perceived by society as being unacceptable. The rules are important, as much as you might like to brag that they don’t matter to you, the fact that you have retained your freedom speaks louder than your words. You care, and everyone does. Some of the rules are perceived as being more trivial than others, but that’s not something that’s really even up to you, because the only rules you’re willing to break are the ones that won’t cost you your relationships - be they social or professional - or your freedom.

Miley Cyrus sings about standing on a couch in a club and drinking from the bottle rather than pouring herself a glass, but I’m sure if the lyrics of that same song had alluded to her turning a blind eye to sexual harassment in Hollywood and “not giving a fuck” because the only thing she cared about was furthering career…well, the song might not have been so popular on the radio in its time. Why? Because her honor would be in question, then. No one really cares if a drunken brat stands on a couch in a club and drinks out of the bottle that everyone else was drinking from, but they certainly care if she knew about the predatory nature of people in the music or film industry and said nothing. Now, I’m not saying Ms. Cyrus stands on the couch or that she turns a blind eye to anything, I’m merely pointing out that she follows a certain set of rules, rules she of course didn’t make, and neither did you or I or any one person, but we all follow them, don’t we?

Some rules can be broken, but others can’t be, because to break them threatens the social order, and the same was the case in terms of the ensuing feud between the Wṛnókoes and the Dháwokoes, the one that gave rise to the Ríxavaka, because the effects of this feud would ripple throug history. The Dháwokoes had gifted the Wṛnókoes a beautiful, and fertile white heifer as the price for a beautiful and fertile young girl, and if Wṛnóŵṇgus was to be believed, the heifer had been bewitched because of the actions of that very same young girl, likely because she had attempted to steal a sacrifice from the storm-god Perkwunos. Wṛnóŵṇgus had much more to lose than to gain from telling the truth, while Skandriχ arguably had more to gain from the lie. But the way that the Wṛnókoes saw it, Skandriχ had saved them from the potential fall out of insulting the storm-god with a bewitched sacrifice, and her younger sister was jealous and didn’t understand the greater workings of the world. Skandriχ had withheld the information because she feared the consequences she might suffer at the hands of her parents, which was innocent enough. The cow was bewitched before she had been released onto the steppe, not after, and it was the Dháwokoes who refused to accept that it was someone from within their own ranks who had brought about the misfortune on everyone’s heads. Both sides saw each other as dishonest, willing to throw the other to the birds for their own benefit, and such behavior could not go unpunished.

Now, when the Wṛnókoes took to rustling the Dháwokian cattle, they weren’t stupid enough to do it themselves. Instead, a certain Χleksχṇ́rēs, had the idea of hiring the “Ghweróŵkwes” to rustle the cattle for them. It was a questionable plan to be sure, as it defied the logic of rustling the cattle in the first place. The Dháwokoes had provided a bewitched heifer for a bride price, one whose curse had spread to the other Wṛnókian cattle, and their insult had to be repaid. However, there were many who understood the consequences of being caught rustling the cattle, and were wary of doing so. Thus, employing someone else to do it was every bit as sneaky and treacherous as what the Dháwokoes had done… except the “Ghweróŵkwes” weren’t just anyone. No, they were the hunter-gatherers of the steppe, who some hypothesized either to be spirits of nature or descendants of such. You couldn’t see them unless they wanted you to, and even after you had they could disappear at a moment’s notice, even carrying cargo. Generally, they kept out of the affairs of the nomadic pastoralists and only engaged them for commercial transactions here and there, but they were known to occasionally rustle livestock, although no one had ever been able to bring them to justice for doing so. If they were even to be seen by the Dháwokoes, they would never be caught, and the Dháwokoes would likely know better than to pursue them.

Later accounts of the story would remember the Ghweróŵkwes, a phrase that literally means “wild eyes” as the god Tanχus Kirχanas, the god that - if you remember - had scouted out the hero Χaghrevaulkas for the other gods to find Máktanas, the son of the storm god, and had subsequently been betrayed by the hero who took a seventh heifer for himself. The fact that in a miraculous feat, a young Ghweróŵkwian man had been shot with an arrow and tortured into admitting the nature of his employment was an ugly detail that wasn’t worth recounting. But when the Dháwokoes got wind of the fact that their cattle had been rustled in such a dishonorable fashion by their opponents, they took to rustling them back properly, and in the midst of the fighting, Terkwóχtres, Skandriχ’s older brother, was killed. Even though they weren’t able to get all of the cattle back, the boy’s death meant that it wasn’t just about the damn cattle anymore, but blood.

Naturally, the Wṛnókoes sought to repay the favor in kind, but the law stipulated that the Dháwokoes had more than one option at their disposal. According to the Wṛnókoes’ perspective, they owed them the life of a man and six heads of cattle for the cattle that had died from the curse of the bewitched heifer, but while the Dháwokoes were willing to admit that they owed the life of a man, it was their point of view that they owed absolutely nothing in terms of cattle, and in fact were entitled to compensation for the heifer they had lost as the price for a rebuked bride. Neither side agreed, nor could they even get close to each other without the possibility of violent confrontation, and so again the Ghweróŵkwes were consulted to mediate the conflict. The Dháwokoes sought the aid of a man who was so old and feeble that he could not see, thinking his age and experience and his lack of sight would make him more objective. The stories would recant this man’s name variously, but the most common renderings of it can all be reconstructed to the form Kuntiyopélos, whose etymology has been suggested to be Kuntjapála, which itself can be traced to a group of languages we might call “Uralic”. It was the opinion of Kuntjapála that the best way to solve the matter was for representatives of each family - not tribe - to fight to the death, and that which party owed what would be decided by the victor.

However Tṇtī́los’s father, Ħuruwáχdhwṛ, had lost four fingers on his right hand many years back, and was therefore not an adequate opponet for Wḷ́kwogéngos, the father of young Skandriχ. Thus it was decided that Tṇtī́los would fight on his father’s behalf, against the behest of his mother, Χṇrēmémneχ, who thought that one of her brother-in-laws should go instead. All versions of the story (as well as the objective truth of the matter) agree that she laced her son’s bronze knife with poison, but they do not agree as to whether Wḷ́kwogéngos died during or after the duel was over. The truth was that he died beforehand, and so the matter was settled - the Wṛnókoes would reimburse the Dháwokoes their bride price, and everyone would leave it at that. The stories also agree however, on the fact that it was obvious to Tṇtī́los’ that he had won unjustly, and that, despite having sustained mortal wounds, he rode to the camp of the Wṛnókoes and begged the girl to whom he had been betrothed to kill him. Everyone agrees that the two made love, and they did, and quite a few versions state that she killed him, but whether or not she felt remorse in doing so isn’t agreed upon. Some make her out to be a hateful seductress, who only made love to him for pleasure and then cut his throat without a second thought, as her heart had already burned black with her desire for revenge against his family. Others paint a more emotional picture, stating that the two made love and that she immediately fell pregnant before tearfully plunging the dagger into her lover’s heart, understanding that he had won the fight against her father unfairly and therefore had cheated fate, and that such was the only way to set things right. Another version of the story, one which cedes the love-making, states that her mother, Singoŵókwiħ, killed him with three arrows - one to the throat, two to the heart - after the two had sired a son.

The truth of the matter was closer to the last account in terms of cause of death - he did indeed die by an arrow to the throat and two more to the heart, but Skandriχ’s mother wasn’t the culprit, but rather his younger brother, Moħrotáwros, who had followed him with their uncles. All versions of the story agree on what happened next - Skandriχ was raped, and a second son was sired via superfecundation. They agree on that point because she was actually raped, but the twins she sired that night were twins by Tṇtī́los, not by his brother. That didn’t make for the same story when making eponymous ancestors of different ethnic groups out of these two however, and so the bit about superfecundation was added… for dramatic effect.

Such dishonor warranted that revenge be taken on the life of the one responsible, but as no single Dháwokos would take responsibility, Χleksχṇ́rēs, in an effort to regain his own honor volunteered to fight every one of their warriors in single combat. Χleksχṇ́rēs was indeed an impressive warrior, and he killed so many of the Dháwokoes that they sought a warrior from an allied tribe whom it was said that no one could beat, whom Χleksχṇ́rēs also killed, which expanded the scope of the feud. When this other tribe, the Ŵérones, got involved in the conflict, they accused Χleksχṇ́rēs of consulting with demons and arranged for him to be killed while he slept. Thus, the Wṛnókoes called in their own allies, the Kwékwloes, and so on, and so forth. The war that erupted was the first one of its scale in history, at its peak involving some 40 different tribes, and it lasted about 60 years, and for quite awhile, people said that the tribes had long forgotten what they were even fighting over by the time the dust had settled. Skandriχ and Tṇtī́los were dead, and so were more some thousands other men and women who died in the process of protecting their own.

It was the opinion of many of the tribes afterward that the gods had left the land. It was increasingly arid anyways, and it was also the place where many bad memories had been soaked up into the grass where a great many bodies had been strewn, and so a large chunk of these people set about wandering to the south to find a new beginning. They didn’t move very far at first, though. For quite awhile they made their home along river that would much later be called the Hafṣko, but which they called the Χep-Srew-Gwéwohom, or the “river of cows”. We know this river as the Manych River, and it isn’t a very far cry south from the bends of the Don and Volga rivers from which they had come, but it was right on the border of the lands of another people who were, at least by the standards of the time, the keepers of a grandiose civilization. We know this civilization as the “Maykop Culture”, and its people are often thought to be speakers of a language our academics call “Proto-Circassian”, but these people had no particular name for themselves, as they didn’t think of themselves as a single entity. The fossilized memories of these people would manifest themselves variously, with the people to whom the Ríxavaka was their great epic, the people of Sírkana (Azerbaijan), remembering them as a single kingdom, but many of the peoples that live north of the mountains we call the Caucasus paint a picture of various fractured tribes, all with very different interests and relationships with the people on the Hafṣko.

Most versions of the Ríxavaka agree that the Virnakais and the Thaukais merged into a single people and migrated south, but they tend to speed up a series of events that took centuries and put them all together neatly in a few generations. These condensed versions, as myths often do, have more truth to them than people like to give them credit for. It is widely agreed for example, that a certain general of the “Χasalkais” (or Χsalks, it depends on what language the story is being told in), Sapsas, led a great campaign against the Virnathaukais and attempted to prevent them from settling along the Hafṣko. He is usually described as a red-bearded giant that wore a helmet with giant horns, wielded a double-bladed axe, and as having worn ornately decorated golden rings on every finger. The real man was no giant of course, but he was a king, or perhaps more accurately a tribal chief, but not a general, and his people would have said his name Śħapc’a. After he is slain, his daughter Psaphī marries one of the twins sired by Xaghregvaulkas and Martáuras, a young fellow named Tanχandras, which is meant to signify the union between the two groups. That didn’t happen, as both of these twins were not only married, but long dead by the time this conflict took place. In reality, this is a neat summary of a long and at times strained relationship between migrating nomadic pastoralists, and relatively more sedentary but still transhumant group of people.

Despite their transhumance, these were a sophisticated, clever, and largely self-sufficient group of people that, although famous to their contemporaries as traders, imported relatively little of the material items they enjoyed. No, they exploited their own mines for their elaborate bronze, silver and gold-working, producing works of art that arguably outweighed anything that contemporary cultures were turning out in terms of their commitment to realism. They also grew the bulk of their own crops on terraces that were so well made that they would be used for thousands of years hence, and they were the first to pioneer the use of the column as a means of actually supporting a ceiling. The exchange started out more or less friendly some 5400 years before present, as the two peoples had got along well enough in the past, and it didn’t seem that there was any reason for conflict when the “Indo-Europeans” migrated southward. The Hafṣko River had long been considered the border between the lands of the northern horsemen and their southerly neighbors, who neither bred nor raised horses, but purchased them at times from the horsemen, preferring the use of their oxen for purposes of draft. This changed drastically with the increased population of horsemen along the northern banks of the river, who seemed to be rather stupidly crazed over different varieties of apple cider that were being brewed in the mountains.

Our man Śħapc’a belonged to a tribe called the Phaḫwǝχa, who used to laugh about how the horsemen were “crazy for cider”, and “willing to give fifty horses for a single jug”, which was only a slight overrestimate, as one prominent chief had indeed given away 25 horses for a single jug of his most prized cider. By now of course, the horsemen had been settled on the Hafṣko for nearly a century, and there had been a great deal of exchange between the two groups, particularly in terms of metallurgy, as the Phaḫwǝχa were as skilled artisans as any of the other tribes that are grouped into the same archaeological culture (both in this time and theirs). The horsemen now had caste bronze swords, axes, daggers, and elaborate gold and silver jewellery, and cider, while the Phaḫwǝχa had horses, which drastically improved their communication and shipping capabilities with other tribes, as it should go without saying that smaller loads could be shipped at greater speeds instead of having to be grouped together with loads large enough to justify such long trips in terms of both distance and time. But, that makes it seem like everyone was happy, and that transactions generally left both parties satisfied, and that’s not really what was going on at all. See, the Phaḫwǝχa and their related tribes controlled all access that the horse-riding “Indo-Europeans” had to just about everything of abstract value - gold, silver, bronze, copper, turquoise, lapis lazuli… all of it, and they weren’t exactly generous all the time about it either. The Phaḫwǝχa often raised the rates on the horsemen, often to extortionary levels, particularly for their prized ciders. That chief didn’t offer 25 horses - it was the price named by the Phaḫwǝ brewer, and needless to say, this relationship was one that couldn’t be sustained long term. It’s not as though every single individual Phaḫwǝ was some sort of an extortionist, but the rates on certain goods were getting high enough that the pot was about to boil over.

Conflict erupted when a Phaḫwǝ trader laughed while drinking that the horsemen were stupid and that his people were playing them for fools. He wasn’t the first one to do this, as a few of them had in the past let slip that they bought cider from the brewers in the mountains for a significantly lesser price, but by now the tensions were so high that it was… well, just the wrong thing to say, even if he was in good company. The horsemen decided to round up their warriors for their next dealing with the Phaḫwǝχa, crossing the river into THEIR land with the offer of 1 horse per 10 jugs of cider. They made sure to look especially intimidating on their expedition, riding in armed to the teeth with bronze spears, swords, daggers, and axes, wooden shields at their backs and their faces painted with feathers in their hair. They didn’t want to be trifled with anymore, and the Phaḫwǝχa got the message and accepted their price. Whatever they whispered into each other’s ears as the horsemen rode into their settlement didn’t really matter to the horsemen, because in the end they got what they wanted.

The second time around though, things went a little differently. A Phaḫwǝ rider met them shortly after they had crossed the river, and told them that they should proceed no further into their lands until a delegation, which was apparently not that far behind, could meet them and discuss the terms of the trade. Śħapc’a himself led the procession of Phaḫwǝχa warriors, who wore all of their respective war time regalia and came armed to the teeth just as the horsemen had done, carrying their jugs with them in a wagon pulled by their tough and stirdy-looking oxen, who were also decorated in gold and silver. The horsemen wanted to continue bartering 10 jugs per horse, but the Phaḫwǝ chief stipulated that the Phaḫwǝχa would only offer 5 jugs per horse, and that this was their final offer. He also made it explicitly clear that the Phaḫwǝχa didn’t need to trade with the horsemen at all, as they had enough horses on their own to breed their own herds and their own horse trainers (who were themselvesof the horsemen, but married to Phaḫwǝ women and living among them). He also asked that organized and armed troops of the horsemen not cross the river in the future, and said that if they agreed to the price, there was no need for further intimidation. The horsemen stated that they knew that the price was being raised an order of magnitude on them for the cider, and they wanted a fair price, and that they could easily take it and make off with it out onto the steppe, and that the Phaḫwǝχa couldn’t stop them, because they didn’t have the cavalry to go after them. They tried to do this when Śħapc’a questioned their honor, but the Phaḫwǝ infantry not only held their own against them, but it chased them away from the entire transaction and back across the river… those that remained, anyways.

If he had left it at that, then perhaps he might have had his deal, but Śħapc’a very stupidly tried to beat the horsemen at their own game, using his people’s own horses to mount a counter-offensive, crossing the river and burning two of the now largely defenseless camps. The epics make the damage done out to be considerably worse, but one has to think of things in their proper context I suppose when imagining the scale of them. These camps were very large by the standards of modern campers, with a hundred or more people, but when measured against the camps of other nomadic pastoralists, they weren’t much. Śħapc’a killed an old and feeble chieftain and took his young wife as his own however, and this was enough to provoke a response that saw himself and the men of his own tribe massacred, and their widows taken as the war prizes of the victors.

This event represented the first encroachment of the horsemen onto the other side of the river, and they ended up staying… on either side. With time, some of the tribes of the horsemen lived permanently on the southern side while others moved back and forth, and others still remained behind. A great many of them found that they liked their new home however, especially the deeper they penetrated into the region. On the south side of the river they had better access to the various semi-permanent settlements of the native inhabitants, which they traded with for better prices, occasionally raided, acted as mediators between in times of conflict, and also were contracted as mercenaries for. Their presence in the region changed the sociopolitical climate considerably, causing many of the indigenous inhabitants to become more sedentary, even resulting in the construction of walled, permanent settlements of considerable size.

It’s perhaps this time that the Ríxavaka harkens back to when it describes the decadent Kingdom of Xasalkī, which is often depicted in art as having had illustrious architecture in fortified cities that allegedly all answered to the supremacy of a single king at the time of the Ákkinai, the twin sons of Sekandrī. But what is especially interesting about this part of the story is how the Xasalkais are depicted, which is as dishonorable cuckolds, who took pleasure in watching their wives being taken by their mercenaries. According to the story, this all began when the king of the Xasalkais, Karṣápalas, brought the Virnathaukais into his service after their defeat of his general Sapsas and the counter-offensive they launched into the kingdom. They were given their own land, and their warriors contracted first as the personal guard of a jealous and tyrannical king, and soon after as a special military force that answered only to him that was used to suppress a rebellion from among his nobles. But what is of note is what happens with the wives of the nobles, including Karṣápalas’ queen, Ƭevambevadī, who are all captivated by the Virnathaukian warriors and, unable to be satisfied by their pathetic husbands, take them to bed. What’s more, this was allowed, and even requested by many of the nobles, who, rather than defend their wives’ virtue, were apparently relieved at the opportunity to get away from them, finding them insatiable, preferring to enjoy each other’s company. The women aren’t depicted in a sympathetic manner however, being described as averaging six men before they were satisfied. The husbands are said to have eventually taken to barely touching their wives, instead at times bedding each other (or each other’s sons), and even preferring to please themselves to the image of other men with their women, while any children sired from these unions were said to be sent away immediately to live with the Virnathaukais. But it wasn’t long before the women grew tired of being separated from their children and asked the Virnathaukian men to kill their impotent husbands.

While this might recall Candaules of the Heraclid dynasty of Lydia, this is yet again, an allegorical memory of real historical interactions. The cuckoldery of the so-called Xasalkais is a metaphor, one that alludes to their disunity, their inability to cooperate with one another in the face of imminent invasion and replacement, and indeed to the replacement that took place. As the horsemen moved into the region, the cider merchants got richer, and before long became the owners of large estates that supported an organized cult,which was sacred to the Xasalkian peoples as a means of entering trance and thus communicating with the spirit world. It was in fact thanks to this increased level of social organization, which was spurred not only by the trade with the horsemen, but their incorporation into the societies as laborers and mercenaries that by far the region’s most famous megalithic structure, or more properly structures, stand today. These are a series of 32 massive stone arches at a place today known as Üdečilan, one that we might know as Svetlograd, with each arch constructed of three 13 by 6 slabs and spaced 10 ft. from one another, marking the procession once undertaken by those in a cider-enduced trance to a large set of of three trapezoidal stone mounds 5 ft. tall a piece, each one smaller than the next and stacked atop each other like a pyramid, atop which more than a hundred large, carved wooden totems were arranged in multiple rectangular layers, with each pole in the next layer being placed between those of the outer layers. Inside of this structure was a clearing, where still stands an ancient rectangular alter bearing the symbol of the eight-pointed sun. The horsemen were a part of the evolving power structure from the start, however within a relatively short amount of time (not quite a century), they had become so integrated as to be inseparable, with many of the indigenous notables having taken wives from among them or adopted them as sons, preferring their company to the company of their own people. This happened despite the fact that the horsemen often conducted themselves as violent extortionists, raiding settlements and enforcing exhorbitant trading contracts on them, or were used as the tools of extortion by powerful tribes. Ultimately, the truth of the demise of the Xasalkais in their own country was not that they were conquered in some sort of mass slaughter of their effeminate, pillow-biting men, but a gradual shift in demographics in which they slowly allowed more and more of the horsemen to live and work among them, to marry their women, becoming increasingly reliant upon them, against their better judgement, all of which resulted in their eventual replacement. By approximately 5200 years before present, the Xasalkais were still present as a material culture, but not as a distinct people with their own language, or at least north of the river we would call the Kuban.

Beginning about 5200 years ago, a new people had taken hold in the country, one that was materially “Xasalkian”, but a mix between their lineage and that of the migrating horsemen. Though there was still a concept of ethnic division between many of the tribes, a common name of the country came to be known, one that would be pronounced by the people of Sírkana as Palapřajaχī, a reflection of Pelħu-Xep-Srówyeχiχ “land of many rivers”, a name which by this time was already exceedingly ancient, and only used in the epics. The people of this country however, were only just beginning to shape the world in which they lived, for their progeny would go on to found a civilization that would not only replace, but improve upon all others that came before them.

Last edited:
I do apologize for the triple post. The next "update" will be a guide to the orthography of Proto-Indo-European ITTL, and will also deal with the changes in the development of the group of languages to branch off from the tree, Proto-Sirkano-Hafṣkoic, or Proto-SIRHAF for short.

Awesome start to a timeline and incredibly intriguing even though I know pretty much nil about the subject. Subscribed and can't wait for more.

Appendix I
Appendix I

So, if you’re having trouble reading the Proto-Indo-European names in the timeline, fear not, because I have absolutely taken this into consideration and will be posting regular updates designed to help you read the altered orthography of different languages that we will be encountering :)

As I have said, I don’t like the traditional orthography of quite a few languages (*cough* fucking cuneiform! *cough*), and Proto-Indo-European is no exception here. I understand the reason that laryngeals are marked with numbers is because we don’t know exactly which sounds these were, but we have an idea, and based on popular ideas among Indo-Europeanists on the nature of these laryngeals, I give you the following.

1. Laryngeal /h1/, which is hypothesized by many to have been either a simple voiceless glottal fricative /h/ or a voiceless pharyngeal fricative /ħ/, is assumed to be the latter and represented by the same IPA symbol.

2. Laryngeal /h2/, which is hypothesized by many to have been a voiceless uvular fricative /χ/, is assumed to have been such and represented by the same IPA symbol.

3. Laryngeal /h3/ is the only one not represented by its IPA symbol, hypothesized by many to have been a labialized voiced pharyngealized fricative /ʕʷ/, is here represented by /ŵ/.

4. Laryngeal /h4/ is assumed to have been a voiceless glottal fricative /h/, and represented by the same symbol.

Also worth noting is aspiration. Aspiration ITTL will be represented an /h/ following the aspirated consonant. So, /th/, /dh/, /kh/, /gh/, and /ph/ do not represent fricatives… in any language… not yet, anyways. If you see them, remember that these are ASPIRATED CONSONANTS, because you will be seeing them quite a bit for now, as quite a few contemporary languages had contrasts for aspiration. Furthermore, a sonorant (/l/, /m/, /n/, /r/) with a daughter underneath it in Proto-Indo-European names means that it’s a syllabic sonorant.

Proto-Circassian

For the purposes of this timeline, I am positing that the bulk of the peoples in the archaeological culture known today as the Maykop Culture of the Caucasus Region in the Northwest Caucasus region spoke Proto-Circassian. Although the bulk of these people north of the Kubari River were absorbed by an influx of Indo-Europeans, this is not the last we will be hearing from speakers of Proto-Circassian or future daughter languages. Now, if you know anything about Caucasian linguistics, which I don’t expect anyone to because it’s all news to me as well, they are famous for their rich consonant inventories. To make it all look a little prettier in the Latin alphabet, I came up with the following orthography for it.

/b/ = /b/

/ph/ = /pʰ/

/p'/ = /p'/

/d/ = /d/

/th/ = /tʰ/

/t/ = /t/

/t'/ = /t'/

/gj/ = /gʲ/

/gw/ = /gʷ/

/khj/ = /kʰʴ/

/kwh/ = /kʷʰ/

/kj/ = /kʲ/

/kw/ = /kʷ/

/kj'/ = /kʲ'/

/kw'/ = /kʷ'/

/qh/ = /qʰ/

/qwh/ = /qʷʰ/

/q/ = /q/

/qw/ = /qʷ/

/dz/ = /dz/

/ch/ = /tsʰ/ NOT /tʃ/

/c/ = /ts/

/c'/ = /ts'/

/ȷw/ = /dʑʷ/

/ćw/ = /tɕʷ/

/dž/ = /dʒ/

/dż/ = /dʐ/

/čh/ = /tʃʰ/

/ċh/ = /tʂʱ/

/č/ = /tʃ/

/ċ/ = /tʂ/

/č'/ = /tʃ'/

/ċ'/ = /tʂ'/

/z/ = /z/

/s/ = /s/

/ź/ = /ʑ/

/źw/ = /ʑʷ/

/ś/ = /ɕ/

/św/ = /ɕʷ/

/ś'/ = /ɕ'/

/św'/ = /ɕʷ'/

/ž/ = /ʒ/

/šh/ = /ʃʰ/

/ṡh/ = /ʂʰ/

/š/ = /ʃ/

/ṡ/ = /ʂ/

/lź/ = /lʒ/

/lś/ = /ɬ/

/lś'/ = /ɬ'/

/ɣ/ = /ɣ/

/ḫ/ = /x/

/ḫw/ = /xʷ/

/ȓ/ = /ʁ/

/ȓw/ = /ʁʷ/

/χ/ = /χ/

/χw/ = /χʷ/

/ħ/ = /ħ/

/m/ = /m/

/n/ = /n/

/r/ = /r/

/w/ = /w/

/j/ = /j/

/Ɂ/ = /Ɂ/

/Ɂw/ = /Ɂʷ/

I know… it’s a really long list, but fortunately Proto-Circassian only had two vowels, /a/ and /ǝ/, so I hope that helps!

Proto-HAFSIR

Speaking of simplified vowel systems, let’s take a moment to talk about the development of Indo-European when it is being adopted by speakers of Proto-Circassian.

The term Proto-Ḥafṣko-Sirkanic (abbreviated Proto-HAFSIR) refers to the last common ancestor of the Ḥafṣkoic and Sirkanic branches of Indo-European. This language would have separated from the Proto-Indo-European homeland around 3400 BCE, and begun its slow and sustained contact - variously in the form of raiding and trading - with the Early Proto-Circassian-speaking Maykop Culture, probably along the Ḥafṣko (Manych) River, more or less replacing the original language by 3100 BCE9. While the Early Proto-Circassian speakers of the Maykop Culture would migrate variously to the southeast and the west, with a branch settling and “re-founding” itself in Crimea, the nucleus and the southeasterly branch would be absorbed into the migrating Indo-European influx, save for a small portion of the southeasterly branch that would migrate deeper into the Caucasus Mountains.

It would be in the Ḥafṣko River that migrating Indo-Europeans would first begin a more intensive process of contact with the Maykop Culture, which would include regular trade, raiding, and extensive intermarriage. This would result in a strong Proto-Northwest Caucasian substratum, beginning with words related to household duties and child-rearing (“maternal vocabulary”), and later words related to flora, fauna, landscape, technology, architecture, agriculture, weapons, and armor. While the exceedingly complex consonant system of Early Proto-Circassian would not have had a profound effect on the development of Proto-HAFSIR (speakers of Early Proto-Circassian would have had little trouble pronouncing the comparatively simple consonants of Late Indo-European), there would be some new phonemes introduced that were specific to incoming loanwords that would have an affect on the consonant system. Also worth noting is the profound influence of the Early Proto-Circassian substrate on the vowel and syllable structure.

Early Proto-Circassian had a rich consonant system that included aspirated, plain, palatalized and labialized stops, as well as ejectives, as well as some laryngeal fricatives, which would have been retained in large part by Proto-Circassian speakers adopting Proto-Indo-European, as there would have been no difficulty in pronouncing these sounds. For example...

Common Indo-European to Proto-HAFSIR

*iHC > *īC

*uHC > *ūC

*eh1 > *aħ

*eh2 > *aχ >

*eh3 > *aw

*Hi > *hi

*Hu > *hu

*Ho > *ho

*h1e > *ħa

*h2e > *χa

*h3e > *wa

The treatment of the laryngeals after consonants was various and depended on the consonant type as well as the laryngeal in question. To be more specific, /ħ/ (h1) pharyngealized stops that preceded it, resulting in a new series of stops /pˤ/, /bˤ/, /tˤ/, /dˤ/, /q/, /ɢ/ < /pħ/, /bħ/, /tħ/, /dħ/, /kħ/, /għ/. These will be realized in the orthography of Sirkanic and languages in the same branch as /ƥ/, /ɓ/, /ƭ/, /ɗ/. The laryngeal /χ/ (h2) was retained in its position after stops, but /ʕʷ/(h2) passed to /w/, and thus labialized the preceding stop. Laryngeals were deleted word-finally, but also word internally after vowels and before consonants, which resulted in the compensatory lengthening of the preceding vowel, but not after consonants and before vowels.

However, it is important to note that even though the language developed a series of pharyngealized consonants and two uvular stops, this was only after the language was being adopted by speakers of Early Proto-Circassian, and so the treatment of uvular stops in loanwords would depend on the time of borrowing. The stops and affricates of Early Proto-Circassian had a four-way phonation contrast, and a two-way one in the fricatives. The language had a total of 16 stops that functioned as phonemes, with another 3 as allophones, which included /ph/, /th/, /kh/, /khw/, /qh/, /qwh/, which contrasted plain/p/, /t/, /kw/, /q/, /qw/, with a further contrasted series of ejectives, /p’/, /t’/, /k’/, /kw’/, /q’/, /qw’/. Palatalization occured with /kj/ and /kj’/, the former of which had a voiced allophone in /gj/, while /k:w/ had an allophone in voiced /gw/, and /p/ had a voiced allophone in /b/. What was missing was a contrast in voice, or at least one that was grammatically relevant. Common Indo-European, or CIE, didn’t have time for ejectives, but it DID make room for aspiration, palatalization, and labialization, and so contrasts were retained in loanwords, while ejectives merged with their plain counterparts. Now, ITTL, instances of /q/ were rendered /ʔ/ in most of the daughter languages of Proto-Circassian, but at the time in question, /q/ was not unstable, and so merged with CIE /k/ in those loanwords that made up the first layer of borrowing, before the “collapse" of the Maykop Civilization and the widespread adoption of CIE. Thus, Early Proto-Circassian /p/, /t/, /k/, /kw/, /q/, /qw/ and /p’/, /t’/, /k’/, /k’w/, /q’/, /q’w/ were rendered /p/, /t/, /k/, /kw/ (although later loans retained a contrast between uvular /q/ and velar /k/), though they would retain their contrast with /ph/, /th/, /kh/, /kwh/, which themselves caused CIE /bh/, /dh/, /gh/, /ghw/ to lose their voiced character, as they did in IOTL’s Greek. The palatalized velars were rendered variously as /ts/, /tt/, and /dz/ and /dd/ depending on dialect, with an eastern koiné developing circa 2800 BCE that would eventually supplant western varieties. Affricates included plain /ts/, /t ʃ/, /tʂ/, contrasted with aspirated /tsh/, /tʂh/, ejective /ts’/, /t ʃ’/, /tʂ’/, with voiced allophones in /dz/, /dʒ/, /dʐ/, as well as labialized /tɕʷ/, /tɕʷʰ/, and voiced allophones/dʑʷ/, /dʑʷʰ/. These were drastically simplified in Proto-HAFSIR, with ejectives merging with plain affricates and aspirates maintaining their character. Thus, /ts/, /t ʃ/, /tʂ/ were rendered /ts/ and /t/ (the latter for the retroflex affricate) with allophonic /dz/ and /d/.

The treatment of the fricatives was not as cut and dry however, with plain, aspirated, labialized, and ejective series. These were plain /s/, /ɕ/, /ʃ/, /ʂ/, /ɬ/, /x/, /χ/, /ħ/, with voiced allophones /ʑ/, /ʒ/, /ʐ/, /lʒ/, /ɣ/, /ʁ/, contrasted with aspirated /ʃʰ/, /ʂʰ/, labialized /ɕʷ/, /xʷ/, /χʷ/, with voiced allophones in /ʑʷ/ and /ʁʷ/, which were further contrasted with ejective /ɕ'/, /ɕʷ'/, and /ɬ'/. Aspiration was not retained, though it did continue to inform how the fricatives evolved, with the plain series yielding /s/ < /ɕ/, /ʃ/, < /ʂ/, /θ/ < /ɬ/, while retaining /x/, /χ/, /ħ/ conditionally. The aspirated series yielded a laminal sibilant /s̻/, while the ejective series yielded /ts/ < /ɕ'/, /sp/ < //ɕʷ'/, and /tθ/ < /ɬ'/. Finally, while /m/, /n/, /r/, /w/, and /j/ were retained, the glottal stop /ʔ/ was lost, with compensatory lengthening where it was lost after a vowel and compensatory gemination of a consonant if lost before a vowel but after a consonant.

The CIE vowel system of /a/, /e/, /i/, /o/, /u/ collapsed, with /a/, /e/, and /o/ merging into a single /a/ as in TTL’s Proto-Indo-Iranian, to /a/, while /i/ and /u/ were retained. Thus, Proto-HAFSIR háykas, dwáħ, tráyas, kwatwā́r, pánkwa, swáks, saptám, χaktā́, náwan, dákam in place of CIE *Hóykos, *dwóh1, *kwetwṓr, *pénkwe, *swéks, *septṃ́, *h2oktṓ, *h1néwṇ, *dékṃ, initially.

In terms of grammatical changes, perhaps the most marked difference from CIE was the innovation of split ergativity, which manifested itself based on the animate-inanimate distinction between nouns, with animate nouns behaving in a nominative-accusative manner and inanimate nouns in an ergative-absolutive one. Ergativity was expressed by the attachment of CIE *sḗms (later -sans) as a suffix to the end of an inanimate noun that causes change by doing a verb, while absolutivity was conveyed by suffixing of the old inanimate demonstrative *tod to the end of the inanimate nouns in question, thus creating the suffix -tad. Furthermore, there was a reduction in the complexity of the nominal case structure, with the dative and the accusative merging as a single oblique case, and the genitive and locative into a single ablative case. Thus, Proto-HAFSIR had four cases - nominative/ergative, accusative/oblique, ablative, and instrumental.

Last edited:
Why didn't Proto-HAFSIR come about IOTL? Were the people who would have brought it south simply content to remain further out on the steppes when they weren't wracked by war?