Votes: 24 12.6%
  • Judaism

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • Remain pagan

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
So for the average AH.com visitor, Lithuania is a name that only rings a bell on three separate occasions:

- something to merge Poland with and forget about
- filler country in 20th century scenarios
- "What if Lithuania adopted X religion/stayed pagan?"

And the last one, although generally repeated without much thought put into it (as far as I've noticed), is actually pretty interesting.

And I'm also pretty interested in what the AH.com community thinks about this question, because each and every one of the choices available for the rulers of Lithuania at the time would have all resulted in wildly different versions of Lithuania, some better, some not so better.

Which choice do you think would have been the best one? Use whatever criteria you want for what "best" means in this situation.

A brief overview of the choices:

Catholicism from Poland (OTL)
Pros:
- Catholicism takes away the Orders' casus belli against Lithuania.
- Catholicism connects Lithuania to the Western world and allows it to adopt it's culture and technology more easily.
- Catholicism differentiates the Lithuanian peasantry from the Orthodox Ruthenian one, preventing mass Ruthenization.
- Baptism from Poland will be swallowed more easily by the Lithuanian population than one from the Knights.
- Allows a Polish-Lithuanian coalition against the Knights.
Cons:
- Will result in Lithuania tying itself to Poland as a junior partner, and all the problems that came with it.
- Will result in Polonization of the Lithuanian upper class.
- Poland doesn't do this out of goodwill, either.
- Tying Lithuania to Poland doesn't provide protection of Lithuania's eastern frontier.
- Everything that happened in OTL to Lithuania will end up happening.

Catholicism from the Knights
Pros:
- An alternative to the Union of Krewo which does not result in either a personal union or assimilation into foreign culture.
- Catholicism takes away the Orders' casus belli against Lithuania.
- Catholicism connects Lithuania to the Western world and allows it to adopt it's culture and technology more easily.
- Catholicism differentiates the Lithuanian peasantry from the Orthodox Ruthenian one, preventing mass Ruthenization.
- Gives a chance to absorb the Teutonic and Livonian Orders, either through economic, diplomatic or military pressure, earlier than OTL.
- Allows a Lithuanian-Teutonic coalition against Poland.
Cons:
- Will definitely not be taken well by the Lithuanian population.
- Will result in a loss of Samogitia.
- Does not provide protection of Lithuania's eastern frontier.
- Poland will most likely become hostile, leading to a two-front situation between Moscow and Poland.

Orthodoxy
Pros:
- Will allow Lithuania to more easily challenge Moscow for supremacy over Russian lands, or perhaps even absorb it through dynastic ties.
- Will lend for greater stability in Lithuania, especially in Ruthenian territory.
- Will allow Lithuania to claim the title of Third Rome if Byzantium falls and Lithuania has achieved supremacy over Russian lands.
- The infrastructure is already there for adopting Orthodoxy - Chancery Ruthenian is used as the language of documents, Orthodox churches are already established in Lithuanian towns like Vilnius and many members of the House of Gediminas are already Orthodox.
- Will be more accepted by the Lithuanian population than Catholicism.
Cons:
- Will not stop Order raids and attacks into Lithuanian territory.
- No Polish-Lithuanian coalition against the Orders.
- Will likely result in Ruthenization of Lithuanian population.
- Will result in less adoption of Western culture and technology, and perhaps a disadvantage in innovation.

Islam
Pros:
- Slightly better relations with the Tatars and Ottomans.
- No assimilation into foreign cultures.
Cons:
- Lots.

Judaism
Pros:
- Jews have already established a presence in Lithuania.
- Perhaps faster urbanization and adoption of Western technology, assuming Lithuania becomes a haven for Jews?
Cons:
- Lots.

Remain pagan
Pros:
- Viewed positively by the Lithuanian population.
- Pretty cool AH scenario.
Cons:
- The Orders remain hostile and continue their raids.
- No adoption of Western culture and innovation, could be destined to become a backwater.
- Poland remains hostile, no chance of a Polish-Lithuanian coalition against the Orders.

Would a Jewish Lithuania still get crusaded by Germanic monastic knights, though?
They'd be Jews, non-Christians, but not pagans...
Oh, definitely. The Jews weren't viewed too well in Medieval Europe, and if Orthodoxy is believed by historians to not be enough to stop Teutonic raids, then Judaism definitely won't stop them either.

Well adopting Christianity in general seems best at this stage to avoid "crusaders".
I'm not sure whether Catholicism or Orthodoxy would be best fit though. The upper nobles benefit most from Catholicism but the Ruthenian lower nobles and peasants benefit most from Orthodoxy.
Could a middle ground be considered? Is it too early for a "Lithuanian Rite" akin to Hungary's Eastern Rite, i.e. in communion with the Pope but fairly autonomous (to start at least)?

Would a Jewish Lithuania still get crusaded by Germanic monastic knights, though?
They'd be Jews, non-Christians, but not pagans...
IOTL Teutonic Knights raided even their Catholic neighbours, and remained in Prussia and Livonia long after Baltic pagans were (officially at least) Christianized. Not that Knights really cared about destruction of Baltic paganism (in fact untill 1520s Baltic Prussians performed their rituals in Sambia with permission of Grand Master!). Main goal of TO existence was to provide younger sons of German aristocrats with job, raiding Jews from their perspective would not be less attractive than raiding Pagans.

Personally, I suspect Orthodox Christianity would be the better pick. However, I think it is wrong to dismiss Islam. The Golden Horde and the Ottoman Empire are strong in this period.

Though I think to get a Muslim Lithuania, you'd need Lithuania to hold out as a pagan power for another generation. Converting to Islam only really starts to make sense a bit later on from the OTL date Lithuania converted, when the Ottomans are crashing through the Balkans like a cannonball.

Alternatively, not Timur the Lame would probably make Islam an attractive choice for Lithuania, since the Ottomans were wrecked by Timur (set back by a generation or more) and if memory serves, the Golden Horde were also.

Lithuania, as part of a triad of Islamic powers with the Golden Horde and the Ottomans would be interesting.

IOTL Teutonic Knights raided even their Catholic neighbours, and remained in Prussia and Livonia long after Baltic pagans were (officially at least) Christianized. Not that Knights really cared about destruction of Baltic paganism (in fact untill 1520s Baltic Prussians performed their rituals in Sambia with permission of Grand Master!). Main goal of TO existence was to provide younger sons of German aristocrats with job, raiding Jews from their perspective would not be less attractive than raiding Pagans.

I think this is the real problem with Lithuania aligning with the Knights, I just can't see the knights behaving themselves.

I mean, the writing was already on the wall for the knight's racket when Lithuania converted, but they didn't change course until the Poles and Lithuanians crushed them.

EDIT: Jewish Lithuania is, of course, quite an interesting idea!

fasquardon

Best = coolest. The answer is Aztec religion, obviously. Pierogis for Huitzilopochtli!
Pierogi are Polish!
IMG_20180808_192804.jpg

TruthfulPanda

Gone Fishin'
I voted Orthodoxy.
Maybe I'm brainwashed by Polish historiography but I don't think that Poland was (very) expansionist. For Lithuania I see the enemy as being the TO and GH.

As to pierogis - koldunai are much betterer! And MUST be with cream!

I voted Orthodoxy.
Maybe I'm brainwashed by Polish historiography but I don't think that Poland was (very) expansionist. For Lithuania I see the enemy as being the TO and GH.
Poland already took Red Ruthenia before Union, Orthodox Lithuania would want that land even more than Pagan one IMHO so there would be conflict.

TruthfulPanda

Gone Fishin'
OK - a Polish vs Lithuania clash over Red Ruthenia.
On a more interesting topic - pierogi with cracklings or koldunai with cream?

TruthfulPanda

Gone Fishin'
Too late?
Going Hussite is 1420 earliest ... if not 1425.
And no benefits - that makes them borderline Catholics at best, schismatics most likely. Just as well you can go Orthodox. At least you get some friends somewhere ...
But Augenis - seeing that he likes cepelinai - would probably appreciate the Czech knedliczki ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knödel

Last edited: