New Deal Coalition Retained Pt II: World on Fire

Firstly, like IOTL yes, but then he revised his ideology to gain acces to mainstream politics. Just look at what Jobbik done in this year's election in Hungary, just on a greater scale.;)
I hope this timeline doesn't die off. I need my dose of NDCR weirdness.

This timeline has elicited emotions from laughter to tears to approval to anger to bewilderment at the story and author and has never left me thinking "meh". That's an achievement for better or worse.

Also, am I the only one who kinda enjoys the arguments this thread has? When its not personal slap fighting, its interesting seeing different people's perspectives and what they draw from a piece of work.

I'd hate to be a mod though. If I had a beer with me, I'd raise it to Wheeler and his compatriots on the site.

Here's to Wheeler for modding, and here's to the Congressman so he can get his mojo and NDCR back.

Thanks. I've been frank that I don't like this TL very much, but I do like it when productive discussion comes out of it. I really dig @Kevin R. 's suggestion that this is actually the background to an 80's-action-movie-verse and it's got me thinking of doing one of those myself with a POD during WWII.

Thanks. I've been frank that I don't like this TL very much, but I do like it when productive discussion comes out of it. I really dig @Kevin R. 's suggestion that this is actually the background to an 80's-action-movie-verse and it's got me thinking of doing one of those myself with a POD during WWII.

To each his own, there are a couple extremely popular timelines on this site I can't stand, yet I'm happy others get enjoyment out of them.

While I'm not that big a fan of Kevin. R.'s suggestion as others, if that helps you get enjoyment, all the merrier :biggrin:.

As a huge 80's action movie fan, I'd totally read the Wheeler 80's-Action-Verse timeline.

I'm absent from the forums for one week and this is what I return to?

I'm tempted to just stay in the Star Wars threads from here on out. At least there is not anything close to this level of toxicity and shenanigans over there.

Does anyone have any recommendations on different Cold War or WW2 treads that are much more...civilized?
*coughs in pandering*

Congratulations guys, you have just destroyed one of the most original and well-written Cold War timelines only because of your political views. Author can not be blamed, those parts of AH.com which criticized him constantly must be blamed.

Congratulations guys, you have just destroyed one of the most original and well-written Cold War timelines only because of your political views. Author can not be blamed, those parts of AH.com which criticized him constantly must be blamed.

Just what this thread clearly hasn't enough of off: pot-stirring.

Now for my 2¢. There were some compelling ideas here, and I enjoyed a lot of this. I wouldn't mind a fan rework or sequel of sorts that addresses some criticisms (such a project with Congressman's blessing of course).

The interpretation of Sanjay Gandhi was interesting and it was implied that he would be a big global player in the 1990s. Likewise having Narendra Modi as an American congressman after becoming a political refugee was intriguing. Reading that for the first time was jaw-dropping in its insanity, a rare feat for this site.

Reagan was handled fairly well. Nice to see his acting career go into television on I Love Lucy. His presidency was probably better overall than OTL. On the topic of thespians
Mariska Hargitay was heavily implied to go far eventually in politics, perhaps being the first female president? Very original and I liked seeing her becoming a prominent actress in the 80s.

As a Washingtonian, Ted Bundy's political career was far more disturbing than any horrors of the Third World War. I was looking forward to his eventual downfall once a certain little secret gives revealed about one of the nation's favorite governors.

I can see where the criticisms of Pinochet's role come from, and I will admit it felt like a Chile-wank at times.

Wallace's presidency was fascinating and I do like that healthcare got passed by Humphrey under him. I do find his rise suspicious though. It would be more passable to have a second Rockefeller term leading to conservatism taking over the Democrats rather than Wallace successfully taking down President Kennedy.

Frey seems to have been the lightning rod. I thought perhaps if his ideology had been presented clearer as far-right authoritarianism rather than the liberty philosophy it ended up being it would make more sense. That seems to have been the authorial intent due to Rockwell, Breitbart, Fischer, and Mishima being his disciples.

As the fan of the more deranged aspects of ancient cultures, the Neo-Incans were cool.

That's all, I spent many hours reading it over several months and thought it was interesting.

Last edited:

Anchises

Banned
I never got around to fuly reading this TL but I have read it in parts. There were some genuinely interesting parts but the (capital D) Drama always was a deterrent too me.

There is some questionable, deeply questionable stuff in it. Gerhard Frey winning in Germany is very questionable and I say that as a German. At least not in the way he did it ITTL. ( not going to elaborate but there are actually realistic ways to have Neonazis in power in Germany after WW2, infiltration of the FDP etc.)

Chile wank with democratic Pinochet also isn't cool.

And the insensitive "rewriting" of some historical figures also was painful. Mandela, Nazis suddenly becoming "reasonable" etc.

The critic and the reponses to that both have been over the top and not up to the standard I normally like tis forum for. Neither posting "Helicopter Memes" nor coming in this thread accusing people to be fascists or alt-right is what I expect from this forum. Thats what the rest of the internet is for.

Last edited:

Redcoat

Banned
That's sad, I can't believe The Congressman was scared away from writing the TL because some people didn't like it. That's kinda sad...though I think some people were celebrating his decision right now. You know who you are of course.

In hindsight I feel like a couple of things led to the TL getting mass criticism, most of all that he should've gone into more detail of how these formerly bad people reformed themselves to join the light. I thought that was a rather interesting dynamic when it comes to the trope of "OTL people acting way differently ITTL", though I can see why people thought he was just some hardcore Nazi dog-whistling to the alt right or whatever people thought at the time. There were minor ones like the stereotypical depiction of the neo-Incas but I can excuse that to the deranged ramblings of a madman taking advantage of the chaos of the war. That doesn't fully explain it away though, but I'll let authorial fiat take care of the rest since this is after all a story. The Marburg virus excused how diseases worked, but SargentHawk made good points on that part. I'm not fully sure of that even still, we might need a doctor who works in the field to explain.

X_X's post really explains all I was looking forward to ITTL, so many loose ends weren't tied up. We'll never see such weirdness like President Detective Benson or the trial of governor Bundy. Though I disagree, there was some drama in the first thread that scared me off from reading a good chunk of the TL so my conception of things will be rather hazy, Freyism seems to have been a popular alt-ideology created by a redeemed ex-Nazi who really got into the "Never Again" mantra, advocating freedom as well as democracy to be actively exported around the world. I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the whole "figurehead monarch" thing was just to stabilize the state while the state got going. Also as a symbol that they aren't forgetting the past as they move on to the future. Seeing how the events in Germany are crucial to the events of TTL then more time should've been put into the worldbuilding there to make such an alien German political scape.

Again, I'm shocked that The Congressman was scared away from making his TL. I hope this won't happen again in the future.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
You so do NOT want to drag even more drama into this thread.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
That's sad, I can't believe The Congressman was scared away from writing the TL because some people didn't like it. That's kinda sad...though I think some people were celebrating his decision right now. You know who you are of course.

In hindsight I feel like a couple of things led to the TL getting mass criticism, most of all that he should've gone into more detail of how these formerly bad people reformed themselves to join the light. I thought that was a rather interesting dynamic when it comes to the trope of "OTL people acting way differently ITTL", though I can see why people thought he was just some hardcore Nazi dog-whistling to the alt right or whatever people thought at the time. There were minor ones like the stereotypical depiction of the neo-Incas but I can excuse that to the deranged ramblings of a madman taking advantage of the chaos of the war. That doesn't fully explain it away though, but I'll let authorial fiat take care of the rest since this is after all a story. The Marburg virus excused how diseases worked, but SargentHawk made good points on that part. I'm not fully sure of that even still, we might need a doctor who works in the field to explain.

X_X's post really explains all I was looking forward to ITTL, so many loose ends weren't tied up. We'll never see such weirdness like President Detective Benson or the trial of governor Bundy. Though I disagree, there was some drama in the first thread that scared me off from reading a good chunk of the TL so my conception of things will be rather hazy, Freyism seems to have been a popular alt-ideology created by a redeemed ex-Nazi who really got into the "Never Again" mantra, advocating freedom as well as democracy to be actively exported around the world. I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the whole "figurehead monarch" thing was just to stabilize the state while the state got going. Also as a symbol that they aren't forgetting the past as they move on to the future. Seeing how the events in Germany are crucial to the events of TTL then more time should've been put into the worldbuilding there to make such an alien German political scape.

Again, I'm shocked that The Congressman was scared away from making his TL. I hope this won't happen again in the future.

I do not want to drag more drama into this thread. Damage has been done, we have nothing to discuss here. It was my personal opinion that the author could be discouraged by some opinions that dominated comments of several members here and in effect he abandoned this project. This is not a drama. This is a concern for any future timeline on this site. I truly do no want to start a war here but I do believe that some opinions could be voiced in more indirect manner. If we do not do anything over this, other good TLs can be ended due to criticism. One can be discouraged over his poor English grammar (I am the last one to criticize anyone for abandoning TL, my grammar scares even me), second one reads that he might be too radical and should be banned and in effect abandons his TL.

I did not want to offend anyone with my comments here.

Right, OTL matters have prevented me from logging into this website for a while now, but I thought I would briefly return to offer my thoughts on the end of NDCR.

I've been reading this timeline since Part One, around about half-way through the chapters on the Reagan Presidency. I found it enjoyable, well-written and left me on the edge of my seat waiting for more. Was it the most plausible timeline in the world? No. Could some things have been handled better? Definitely. But there were many aspects of this timeline which I thoroughly enjoyed reading about and I am dismayed that many loose ends will never be tied.

However, if I could I would like to humbly request one thing - closure.

I may be possibly mis-remembering, but I recall back in Part One that @The Congressman mentioned that he had a list of all US Presidents from this timeline, which would indicate that at least a draft of how the timeline would go forward had been laid out. So is it possible that @The Congressman could release such a list? I'd completely understand if he doesn't want to, but I, and I'm sure many other fans of this timeline, would like to at least see what could have been.

This timeline has certainly gone out not with a bang, but with a whimper, and its demise is disappointing. But I wish @The Congressman all the best with whatever he chooses to do next and I thank him sincerely for making such a work.