Other “Belgiums”

Had William I, Elector of Hesse gotten his way during the Congress of Vienna the Electorate of Hesse (Hesse-Cassel) would have become the "Kingdom of the Chatti", named after the germanic tribe that inhabited the region in Roman times.
Ahhh yes, I remember that. I also read that the Duke of Hesse (the smaller one, I forget if he was a Duke or Grand Duke st that point) was offered the other Hesse by the Prussians if they supported them in the Austria-Prussian War. He didn't bite.

That doesn't quite address what I was saying, though. That these people wouldn't likely get over to England and turn it into Belgium,when it involves both pushing away large amounts of tribes, as well as further invasions. Admittedly many of those started because of locals kingd hiring Saxons and others and mercenaries of protect themselves from invaders. Anyways, we should look over maps of where Saxons, Angles, and others settled. It didn't effect the name too much.

Well the thing is that the migrations weren't exactly the Orcish hordes. Most of the DNA studies of England show a significant amount of Briton heritage still existing in modern day Englishmen, and it's believed that that is because it was far more a culture and language shift than a population shift, with significant intermarriage as a cause effect probably derived from Anglo-Saxons becoming the elite class over several hundred years in the wake of the Roman exodus. In fact, "Celtic" populations in Britain are believed to be very distinct genetically from one another in comparison to the intermixing in England. The influx of greater Celtic numbers from Roman Belgica (a population as well known to Britain as Roman Armorica) could have a great impact on the Briton side of things, IMO.

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...invaders-transformed-britain-but-not-its-dna/
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science...n-anglo-saxon-tribal-kingdoms-oxford-univers/
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...igration-going-back-10000-years-10117361.html
https://www.theguardian.com/science...-30-percent-white-british-dna-german-ancestry

Well the thing is that the migrations weren't exactly the Orcish hordes. Most of the DNA studies of England show a significant amount of Briton heritage still existing in modern day Englishmen, and it's believed that that is because it was far more a culture and language shift than a population shift, with significant intermarriage as a cause effect probably derived from Anglo-Saxons becoming the elite class over several hundred years in the wake of the Roman exodus. In fact, "Celtic" populations in Britain are believed to be very distinct genetically from one another in comparison to the intermixing in England. The influx of greater Celtic numbers from Roman Belgica (a population as well known to Britain as Roman Armorica) could have a great impact on the Briton side of things, IMO.

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...invaders-transformed-britain-but-not-its-dna/
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science...n-anglo-saxon-tribal-kingdoms-oxford-univers/
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...igration-going-back-10000-years-10117361.html
https://www.theguardian.com/science...-30-percent-white-british-dna-german-ancestry
no worries. I am well aware. It was cultural and all that. I actually read up on some aged books that the upper classes of Spain and France would sometimes separate them from the lower classes by talking about descending from Franks and Goths, rather than from the Celtic peasantry. What I was talking about was more about England being called Belgium.

no worries. I am well aware. It was cultural and all that. I actually read up on some aged books that the upper classes of Spain and France would sometimes separate them from the lower classes by talking about descending from Franks and Goths, rather than from the Celtic peasantry. What I was talking about was more about England being called Belgium.
Well, more likely Britain. What I envisioned was "Belgium" replacing Hwicce, Sussex and the non-Dumnonian portions of Wessex as a Briton-Celtic kingdom. Anglo-Saxons stay on the eastern coasts and get eaten by Vikings, then Belgium-Dumnonia take the place of Alfred of Wessex and finally reclaim "Britain".

In this scenario a "Prince of Belgium" could be the secondary title of an heir, along with "Duke of Dumnonia".

Maybe Ukraine could purposely called Ruthenia, to explicitly call back to the history of the Kievan state?

That is a good one, the issue is, however, that Ruthenia is from the Latin name for Ukraine, whereas Ukraine is the Ukrainian name. It would probably take a surviving Kingdom of Ruthenia (which wasn't even called Ruthenia in Ruthenia in Ukraine at the time as far as I know). If you had that Kingdom survive it could be known as that eventually, though, so it is certainly a very good suggestion.

So, as the story goes, when the revolutionaries won their independence from the United Kingdom of the Netherlands they could not agree on what to name their new country. They eventually decided to go with the name “Belgium”, naming the nation after a fierce Celtic warrior-tribe that supposedly lived in the area according to Ancient Roman accounts. Even though the Belgiums of the 19th century had no relation to an ancient Celtic tribe that may or may not have existed they still chose that name as part of the nation-building myth to give the people an idea of an ancient, shared identity.

So, what other countries or regions could have become “Belgiums”, taking up a long-gone ancient name (even if the current inhabitants had no relation to the ancient polity) for propaganda reasons?
It's not that special. Hungary is named after the Huns, a completely unrelated group of barbarians. Switzerland recognizes "Confoederatio Helvetica" (Helvetians being a the region's pre-roman inhabitants) as an official name.

In this vein, anyone know why the 19th-century Zionist movement adopted the name "Israel" for the future state, rather than "Judah", "Canaan", or something else?

I could propose a few in the context of the US. For example, a theoretical Navajo-dominated US state could have been named "Dinétah", "among the people" (the OTL name of the Navajo homeland). Likewise an Indigenous revolution in Idaho could replace that (somewhat fake) name with a derivative of Niimíipuu, the endonym of the Nez Perce, the state's most well-known Native people.

In Asia, my favorite example would be an independent Baluchistan adopting the name "Gedrosia"

Depending on what goes on during decolonisation in the Rwanda-Burundi-Uganda area, you could have a nation named after the Kitara Empire, a semi-legendary state which ruled the region centuries before European colonisation. I could see a state which united Rwanda and Burundi calling themselves that (although Rwanda and Burundi were at independence), or most likely Uganda, where some of the traditional kingdoms IIRC claim descent from the Kitara Empire.

It's not that special. Hungary is named after the Huns, a completely unrelated group of barbarians. Switzerland recognizes "Confoederatio Helvetica" (Helvetians being a the region's pre-roman inhabitants) as an official name.

I thought Hungary was named for the Onogurs, who later got confused with the Huns, and whom the early Hungarians composed a large part of their tribal confederation? Although "Hun" was a generic term to begin with.

When French government changed the regions by fusing some of them, there wre several propositions, many were silly extermely old names, mostly from Charlemagne and before (Merovingia, Austrasia, ...)

That would have been hilarious.

I never wanted to live in Great East, but God please not in Austrasia (Yeah, they wanted to name Champagne, Lorraine, and Alsace, AUSTRASIA) if you create a French region and you have no way to name it with one or two provinces that are less than 6 centuries old, you made a REALLY poor job

I never wanted to live in Great East, but God please not in Austrasia (Yeah, they wanted to name Champagne, Lorraine, and Alsace, AUSTRASIA) if you create a French region and you have no way to name it with one or two provinces that are less than 6 centuries old, you made a REALLY poor job

Ironically, if history had been just a bit different, the nation we know as France could have become a Belgium herself. Imagine for moment what would have happened if the Franks had managed to germanize the North of Post-Roman Gaul thoroughly enough to form a language continuum between Bordeaux, Paris and Frankfurt.

Considering how dumb and ridiculous those new regions are such weird names would have been more than fitting. Historical names are better than weird made up names or hyphenated names.

Ironically, if history had been just a bit different, the nation we know as France could have become a Belgium herself. Imagine for moment what would have happened if the Franks had managed to germanize the North of Post-Roman Gaul thoroughly enough to form a language continuum between Bordeaux, Paris and Frankfurt.

I made a TL in which Gaul was able to "unify" and half of Belgia was called "Frankish Dominion" (or "German Dominion, I don't remember)

Some kind of Greater "Switzerland" or Bavaria or anyone ruling all the Alps taking the name Helvetia.
We're pretty close to this in OTL, the international ISO-code for Switzerland after all is CH, an abbreviation derived from the Latin name for Switzerland, Confoederatio Helvetica.

Considering how dumb and ridiculous those new regions are such weird names would have been more than fitting. Historical names are better than weird made up names or hyphenated names.
You can consider yourself lucky with "Big East"
They renamed my region of French Low Countries "Upper France", cause it's on the upper side when you look at the map..
They just showed the whole world that you can fail Geography 1.01 and still govern a country.

It appears to me as the most retarded reform any french government has ever made.

You can consider yourself lucky with "Big East"
They renamed my region of French Low Countries "Upper France", cause it's on the upper side when you look at the map..
They just showed the whole world that you can fail Geography 1.01 and still govern a country.

It appears to me as the most retarded reform any french government has ever made.

Yes, "les Hauts de France" is really cringe-worthy for a name. I have even seen it translated in English as "Heights of France" - yikes.