Germany does not invade Belguim in 1914. What does Britain do?

If this was really his mantra ... how often and how long would he repeat it ?

He said it in his memoires, that he would not be in a government that chose to be neutral in a Franco-German war.

He didn't resigned on 31st July, not on 1st August and not on 2nd August.

France was not at war with Germany on any of those dates.

Well, for the first 12-14 days of August ... most likely there would be no war on the western, the franco-german front.

Grey stated to Lichnowsky that if France and Germany went to war the British government would act very quickly. From that I would assume that the showdown happens fairly quickly. Certainly the naysayers collapsed very quickly - by August 2nd even before the German ultimatum to Belgium, they'd yielded on the two key matters of substance - the lack of need for the naval pledge they agreed to, and their failure to insist on offering neutrality to Germany for the respect of Belgium.

... but ... what happens in Britain during this fortnight ?

Under your scenario Churchill has mobilized the navy to its war stations, the Ottoman dreadnoughts have been seized, the underseas cables out of Germany have been cut, the British army has completed mobilizing on the PM's authority, the shipping to move it to France has been concentrated, the DOW against Germany has been issued by the PM acting in the name of the king, the House has approved the requested funding for the war just declared, and any cabinet members that resigned have just committed political suicide - the nasty rumours that they are actually German spies and should be shot for treason will already be circulating, whispered in back rooms. Overseas the ANZAC forces will already be massing to take Rabaul and other points in the German colonies.

If you have a treaty and the situation fits the terms and you don't live up to it you are perfidious. If you make a firm commitment as to what you will do, outside of a treaty, and you don't do it, you are perfidious. If country A gets a rather nebulous "we'll support you", which can mean anything, from country B and decides to fight a war based on that, well country A is just plain stupid. Politicians and diplomats should know that agreements like this are like from Alice in Wonderland, the words mean what you want them to mean. Or as Yogi Berra once supposedly said, "verbal agreements aren't worth the paper they are written on." Britain had a treaty obligating it protect the neutrality of Belgium. Period. No Belgium no treaty obligation.

It should be noted that according to this treaty, which the French as well as the Germans (Prussia actually) had signed, that if it was the French who violated Belgian neutrality, even a little by cutting a cross a corner WITHOUT PERMISSION then the UK would be obliged to help Belgium defend against France. Absurd n'est pas?

Now I may be wrong but I gather the consensus is that Britain may allow France to do what Germany can never do. As many times as I query Britain's response to Joffre crossing Belgian Luxembourg I find either hand wave doesn't happen or hand wave Britain coughs a lot but overlooks it. And I can concede the point but agree, France either cannot cross or if it does the British protest meekly. Of course when Germany responds and crosses into Belgium to fight the French the British shall roar like a lion.

Perfidy is likely Britain's lot. Even post-war I feel France was not terribly grateful or concerned with Britain beyond keeping her weight with France against Germany. France had used others to regain her place in the sun, a shifty sand under her castle. But I do find it amusing how strained the arguments are for Britain to save France and how that saves Britain. And here I thought France needs Britain. The British are doomed to strike bad bargains it seems.

Someone provides a reference suggesting Grey would have to accept British neutrality in the case of Germany not invading Belgium and you firmly disagree, without providing anything to support your position. I'm not saying you are necessarily wrong, since you have been participating in this discussion for over a decade, but it is helpful if you could provide the rest of us with some context.

The poster provided a 3rd party reference for Grey's statements from a book written almost 100 years after the fact. I indicated that Grey himself had stated otherwise. The point of analytical doctrine for me is that Grey himself knows better than the authors of Millstone what Grey was thinking and willing to do in August 1914.

"One danger I saw so hideous that it must be avoided and guarded against at every word. It was that France and Russia might face the ordeal of war with Germany relying on our support; this support might not be forthcoming....Of course I could resign, but what good would my resignation be to them in their ordeal?" (V2, 158-159)

(Grey says British neutrality is "hideous" to him. That means he's not going to abide it. The last part, the bit about what good is resignation, that's the key. He's not saying he would resign and retire. He's saying he would without hesitation attempt to smash the Liberal party to pieces if it dared try to remain neutral in a Franco-German war.)

"I had contemplated resignation if war came and we declined to stand by France, and I had therefore thought nothing as to making conditions for our neutrality....if it was dishonourable and impossible to accept the price or conditions here offered, what other price or conditions could they require in British interests that were not dishonouring to Britain? The answer is clearly there were none. If it were decided to remain neutral we must...remain neutral without conditions." (177)

(Grey thought any offer of neutrality by Britain towards Germany was dishonourable.)

If Germany remains out of Belgium, Grey's resignation is minor matter, unless such a resignation triggers the collapse of the Liberal party.

It would.

Asquith is also on record as being willing to work with the Germans, but the German invasion of Belgium made that impossible.

Yes, Asquith suggested that nothing was inevitable, that perhaps he could work with the Germans if they behaved. He just never coughed up any actual terms by which he would work with the Germans, including a guarantee of neutrality towards Germany on the basis of the pretext for war with Germany, (Belgium). So, my choices to explain Asquith's failure are twofold (1) that Asquith was duplicitous towards the Germans - that he pretended it was possible Britain may remain neutral when in fact he knew war was inevitable or (2) Asquith was so incompetent he did not understand that offering neutrality on the basis of Belgium would be the most likely way available for Britain to stop the German invasion of Belgium. I see no evidence Asquith was a fool, so I assume the former was correct - he was being cagey knowing full well what was going to happen regardless of what Germany would do.

It should be noted that according to this treaty, which the French as well as the Germans (Prussia actually) had signed, that if it was the French who violated Belgian neutrality, even a little by cutting a cross a corner WITHOUT PERMISSION then the UK would be obliged to help Belgium defend against France. Absurd n'est pas?

No, it's pretty much part and parcel to collective security principles. But for Britain in 1914, it was completely impractical.

Yes, Asquith suggested that nothing was inevitable, that perhaps he could work with the Germans if they behaved. He just never coughed up any actual terms by which he would work with the Germans, including a guarantee of neutrality towards Germany on the basis of the pretext for war with Germany, (Belgium). So, my choices to explain Asquith's failure are twofold (1) that Asquith was duplicitous towards the Germans - that he pretended it was possible Britain may remain neutral when in fact he knew war was inevitable or (2) Asquith was so incompetent he did not understand that offering neutrality on the basis of Belgium would be the most likely way available for Britain to stop the German invasion of Belgium. I see no evidence Asquith was a fool, so I assume the former was correct - he was being cagey knowing full well what was going to happen regardless of what Germany would do.
The Kaiser certainty thought the former.
Sir Edward Grey has | The strongest and
just summoned me. The | most unparalleled trait of
Minister was absolutely | English pharisaism that I
calm, but very serious, | ever saw! Never would
and he received me with | I make an agreement con-
the word that the situa- | cerning the fleet with
tion was becoming more | such low-down fellows!
and more tense.... |

But he deemed media- | If, instead of media-
tion an urgent necessity | tion, there should be a
if those concerned did not | warning to St. Petersburg
wish to have things be- | and Paris to the effect
come a European catas- | that England would not
trophe.... | help them, it would im-
mediately calm matters.
England uncovers her-
self, now that she thinks
us chasing scarecrows
and that our fate is, so to
speak, sealed. The vile
rabble of shopkeepers
ought to deceive us by
means of dinner and
speeches. The grossest
deceit lay in the words ad-
dressed to me by the King
through Henry: "We
shall remain neutral and
try to keep out of this as
long as possible. "Grey
inflicts a denial upon the
King and what he said to
Lichnowky is due to his
remorse because he feels
that he has deceived us.
At the same time, it is a
threat combined with a
bluff for detaching us
from Austria, preventing
mobilization, and throw-
ing back upon us the re-
sponsibility for war. He
knows quite well that if
he said one single word in
earnest and energetically
to Paris and St. Peters-
burg and invited them to
be neutral, both would in-
stantly be quiet. But, in-
stead of this, he threatens
us! The ignoble clown!
Vile dog's excrement!
England alone bears the
responsibility for war or
peace and it is no longer
we! This must be proved
publicly!
http://net.lib.byu.edu/~rdh7/wwi/1914/wilnotes.html

The poster provided a 3rd party reference for Grey's statements from a book written almost 100 years after the fact. I indicated that Grey himself had stated otherwise. The point of analytical doctrine for me is that Grey himself knows better than the authors of Millstone what Grey was thinking and willing to do in August 1914.

"One danger I saw so hideous that it must be avoided and guarded against at every word. It was that France and Russia might face the ordeal of war with Germany relying on our support; this support might not be forthcoming....Of course I could resign, but what good would my resignation be to them in their ordeal?" (V2, 158-159)

(Grey says British neutrality is "hideous" to him. That means he's not going to abide it. The last part, the bit about what good is resignation, that's the key. He's not saying he would resign and retire. He's saying he would without hesitation attempt to smash the Liberal party to pieces if it dared try to remain neutral in a Franco-German war.)

"I had contemplated resignation if war came and we declined to stand by France, and I had therefore thought nothing as to making conditions for our neutrality....if it was dishonourable and impossible to accept the price or conditions here offered, what other price or conditions could they require in British interests that were not dishonouring to Britain? The answer is clearly there were none. If it were decided to remain neutral we must...remain neutral without conditions." (177)

(Grey thought any offer of neutrality by Britain towards Germany was dishonourable.)

It would.

So we have Grey refusing to resign, merely using the threat to bully pulpit the wafflers. And we have Grey ready to go to any length to have Britain at war with Germany, a hardcore Germanophobe, including working to bring down the Liberal party. And we potentially have Asquith fully involved in the Grey double game with Germany, offering platitudes and confusion whilst pushing for Britain to be at war, but Asquith is at least assuming Germany invades Belgium is more likely to find himself out foxed if they fail to deliver that fait accompli? So the divergence must be after the failure here of Germany to invade Belgium.

The Cabinet will either need to offer up a new casus belli or back track from the box. We have arguments on the geo-political arguments for war likely made, but the latter is a sticky wicket. Ultimatum to Germany, German silence, troops reported (real or false) at Belgian border, ten days passes, hostilities begin from the 14th onward with a huge clash in East Prussia and between A-H/Russia, Joffre is on the offensive. Yet if anyone violates Belgium it will be France?

If I agree that Britain simply dives in feet first then we return to the British employing the BEF on our narrowed front, eventual Italian entry if pressure is given and opportunity opens, and the OE is jumping in per OTL. A valid scenario to debate. And I think one still open to much debate.

Assuming the Cabinet deadlocks over this damned German treachery, I am fascinated by Grey's actions with Asquith now eating his shoes and coughing all over the ultimatum made and respected. Britain got her pound of flesh. And France is not so abused, the Channel is safe, Churchill has the RN burning circles at sea, British pride is high but her honour flecked with perfidy. Let us assume Poincare holds Joffre from violating Belgian Luxembourg so at least Asquith need not eat that shit sandwich. What does Grey do to "wreck" the Liberal party? Public speeches? Pleas before the House of Commons? Entreaties to the King? Or does he walk across the divide and join the warhawk Tories?

I am open to any of these, or something else entirely, but I admit now that it feels like slitting one's throat as a politician. Churchill did re-convert and got cold shouldered for it despite having been a wartime leader with that record to stand on, at any divergence from Tory dogma he was accused of treachery. A defection by Grey, maybe taking Churchill or even DLG is admittedly a whole new end for the Liberals. Are we talking "neutral" Britain until an election called in 1915 then? Or can they get their war in time for the Liberals to call off elections?

to its war stations, the Ottoman dreadnoughts have been seized, the underseas cables out of Germany have been cut, the British army has completed mobilizing on the PM's authority, the shipping to move it to France has been concentrated, the DOW against Germany has been issued by the PM acting in the name of the king, the House has approved the requested funding for the war just declared, and any cabinet members that resigned have just committed political suicide - the nasty rumours that they are actually German spies and should be shot for treason will already be circulating, whispered in back rooms. Overseas the ANZAC forces will already be massing to take Rabaul and other points in the German colonies.

That is how Britain does it. War is just another diplomatic step. The B.E.F doesn't have to deploy anywhere. Its all very reversible if peace breaks out in the next two weeks (seized merchants can be returned, the Ottomans get their ships, cables relaid). But British and French colonial maritime and colonial interests are protected in the meantime. And it puts pressure on Germany/Austria to deal.

This would have been a lot harder for Britain to pull of a DOW if Germany hadn't DOWed or put an ultimatum anybody on yet, just mobilized her army in response to Russian mobilization, only declares war when Russia does against Austria.

BooNZ

Banned
Edit

When was that established?

I previously referenced Dreadnaught by Massie, but it is also recorded in the reference you so kindly provided:

According to Grey’s memoirs, in a conversation around 29 July, Law told him: it was not easy to be sure what the opinion of the whole of his party was. He doubted whether it would be unanimous or overwhelmingly in favour of war, unless Belgian neutrality were invaded; in that event, he said, it would be unanimous.

http://eprints.nottingham.ac.uk/27914/1/Cons1914forOA.pdf

Cabinet members don't ever threaten to resign as a matter of "symbolism", but because their registration triggers an overthrow in Parliament. Halifax made the same real threat during the Second World War, and was only sidelined because Churchill railed his outer-cabinet.

No, I understand a couple of doves resigned on principle - in any case:

As some commentators note it makes no mention of Belgium, the supposed casus belli for London. However, in 1923 Churchill reproduced a letter sent to him by a front bench Unionist, F.E.Smith, on 31 July after consulting Law and others:

I have spoken to my friends of whom you know and I have no doubt that on
the facts as we understand them – and more particularly on the assumption

(which we understand to be certain) that Germany contemplates a violation of
Belgian neutrality – the Government can rely upon the support of the Unionist
Party in whatever manner that support can be most effectively given.

Churchill said he quickly showed this to Asquith, implying the latter was assured of Unionist support before the key cabinets of 1-2 August.

The reference you provided (above) confirms Conservative support for war was dependent on the German violation of Belgium neutrality.

Further:
Here CharlesRoux, the First Secretary, confirmed what Wilson had already heard from Nicolson at a pre-breakfast meeting: Germany had declared war on Russia, invaded Luxembourg and had refused to give the British government a guarantee of respect for Belgian neutrality. Despite all this, with the Cabinet was still divided; Grey had seen Cambon but refused to give any firm undertaking to fight.

In context, the interventionists were concerned about the British Cabinet's decisions even if Germany was to violate Belgium neutrality. Elsewhere I have read Churchill was concerned a minor violation of Belgium neutrality would not be enough to get Britain into the war.

The policy statement was hardly encouraging, beginning as it did by insisting, ‘We are under no obligation, express or implied, either to France or to Russia to render them military or naval help.’ In fact, it was based on a paper that Asquith had drawn up for the morning’s Cabinet, which was in tended to keep the Government together and therefore included points designed to please the pro-peace ministers.

It was difficult to reconcile its tone with the fact that ministers, at their second meeting that day, effectively decided in favour of war should there be ‘a substantial violation’ of Belgian neutrality – and had there by removed any immediate need for a coalition.

The above confirms the covert discussions about a coalition government were driven by a concern the British Liberal government would not decisively respond to a German invasion of Belgium, not war in every conceivable circumstance. The machinations were undertaken with the explicit expectation of German violation of Belgium neutrality, which does not happen with this POD.

The following extract from your reference reinforces this:

Asquith’s account also reveals that during this meeting the Unionists‘ laid great stress on Belgian neutrality. ’While it would be pointless to deny that the Unionists strongly supported the entente with France, it is clear once again that Belgium loomed large in their thinking.

In relation to the passages you quoted, the talk of mass resignations clearly refers to the doves, not the 2-3 hawks lurking in Cabinet. If Grey and Churchill alone rage quit, no one will mind too much.

As an aside, your reference is interesting - I recommend you actually read it.

That is how Britain does it. War is just another diplomatic step. The B.E.F doesn't have to deploy anywhere. Its all very reversible if peace breaks out in the next two weeks (seized merchants can be returned, the Ottomans get their ships, cables relaid). But British and French colonial maritime and colonial interests are protected in the meantime. And it puts pressure on Germany/Austria to deal.

This would have been a lot harder for Britain to pull of a DOW if Germany hadn't DOWed or put an ultimatum anybody on yet, just mobilized her army in response to Russian mobilization, only declares war when Russia does against Austria.

Diplomacy to Britain feels a like like war. But I digress. I can understand how the British diplomacy was not in fact defusing things. And I see how hard it is to see past such hostile actions and get Britain left holding the peace bag with the POD here.

As to Germany being that smart, I hear bat wings flapping from outer, outer space. Germany should have let Russia attack her but sadly the Germans were both too formal and honor bound to not declare war when "it is obvious they are being attacked." If I could spin it I would have Germany play things far more savvy and simply let both France and Russia be the aggressors.

BooNZ

Banned
Grey and Asquith were two pieces of the same pie. Each was acting at the behest of the other.
It's great you have the confidence to participate in these discussions, but an inability to distinguish between the two most prominent British players in the road to war greatly diminishes the value/ credibility of your contribution.

We have to assume Britain is letting friendly belligerent shipping to pass unmolested, a rather insulting move from Germany's perspective, but not fully an act of war. I think it is soundly seen as the sort of high handedness Britain gets painted with and antagonizes the CPs to no end. To be on moral high ground she must close the Channel to warships and insure safe passage for all neutrals, working to keep belligerent merchants safe from each other.

And that will prove the British are playing a double game, how does that play in Washington? Americans can be pig-headed idealistic when they benefit from being naïve. Britain gets less kudos in America for being "neutral" or savior of morality/civilization. And France gets on the American nerves as it abuses the safety of the safe harbor Channel. When Germany gets warlike it goes down easier.

French ships shadow German bound ships until they are without British sphere of protection. Then they engage. German ships doing the same to French ships, except they can hide in French ports

As to Germany being that smart, I hear bat wings flapping from outer, outer space. Germany should have let Russia attack her but sadly the Germans were both too formal and honor bound to not declare war when "it is obvious they are being attacked." If I could spin it I would have Germany play things far more savvy and simply let both France and Russia be the aggressors.

There are enough PODs in that July to change anyone's casus belli. Besides Germany has to be worried that no declaration will have the Russians slamming on the brakes and stomping AH instead

This discussion thread has to be one of the longest ever

And yet no timeline of any scenario forthcoming. It seems to me we should have ten timelines exploring each situation as it unfolds on that fateful summer

BooNZ

Banned

Most of us do not profess to know the intimate [unpublished] private thoughts of historical figures, except for you it seems...

No, Prima facie Grey is simply saying he hated the idea of Britain not supporting the French and it would make him very unhappy. Grey never said he would smash the Liberal party to bits, nor does his OTL behavior suggest he would betray the trust of the Liberal Party in such a manner. In any case, Grey does not have the ability to break the liberal party alone.

It would.
Grey's resignation will only trigger the collapse of the Liberal party if his resignation is joined by Asquith. Asquith had great personal trust in Grey, but he firmly believed in peace and the Liberal party. Asquith is not going to frivolously destroy the Liberal Party and allow the [despised] Conservatives to take Britain into an unnecessary war.

Is there any reason for Asquith to behave in duplicitous manner toward Jack Pease (Cabinet Minister) when at a small private dinner party on 3 August 1914 Asquith stated he believed in rapproachement and German friendship, but in this instance, the Germans were intent on war. Coupled with Asquith's earlier discussion with Lichnowsky, this paints a rather unambiguous outline of his desire for a peaceful outcome for Britain.

I confess a bias towards real, rather than imagined evidence.

I think the biggest problem with this premise is that we don't have a 100% clear POD. If the POD is the night of August 1st, then all the evidence of German belligerence, neutral reports of German buildups along the Belgian border, the request for help from the Belgian king, all of those things that helped push peace party ministers to war just is not there.

The further away from August 1st we go, and this literally becomes a matter of hours as events over those days were moving fast, the greater the likelihood Britain declares war as OTL.

I'm not saying, and I don't think most of the no Belgium = no war poster are saying there is nothing else that can push Britain into the conflict, just that without Belgium it is less likely and a harder sell to the public, parliament, and the cabinet. I personally do think if Germany and Austria were able to, in this scenario, force a harsh peace on Russia or threaten to collapse France (though I don't know how they would do the latter) Britain will intervene. I also think the following bring in Britain: Italy joining the CP (knife in the back 25 years early), German violations of the channel, and possibly full annexation of Serbia.

Kick
I previously referenced Dreadnaught by Massie, but it is also recorded in the reference you so kindly provided:

According to Grey’s memoirs, in a conversation around 29 July, Law told him: it was not easy to be sure what the opinion of the whole of his party was. He doubted whether it would be unanimous or overwhelmingly in favour of war, unless Belgian neutrality were invaded; in that event, he said, it would be unanimous.
Also in the reference which I kindly provided, if you would have directed your eyeballs a page down.
A letter Balfour wrote to his sister on 8 August explains:
Last Saturday I was the only ex-Minister in London and spent much of my time in conveying to the French and Russian Ambassadors that the rumour of Unionist reluctance to take our share in depending [sic] France and Belgium was totally unfounded. I sent to the country for Bonar Law and Lansdowne, and on Sunday they communicated our views to the Prime Minister.72

No, I understand a couple of doves resigned on principle - in any case:

As some commentators note it makes no mention of Belgium, the supposed casus belli for London. However, in 1923 Churchill reproduced a letter sent to him by a front bench Unionist, F.E.Smith, on 31 July after consulting Law and others:

I have spoken to my friends of whom you know and I have no doubt that on
the facts as we understand them – and more particularly on the assumption

(which we understand to be certain) that Germany contemplates a violation of
Belgian neutrality – the Government can rely upon the support of the Unionist
Party in whatever manner that support can be most effectively given.

Churchill said he quickly showed this to Asquith, implying the latter was assured of Unionist support before the key cabinets of 1-2 August.

The reference you provided (above) confirms Conservative support for war was dependent on the German violation of Belgium neutrality.
Refer to the paragraph directly above it.
Of central importance to the analysis are two letters. The first, upon which most existing accounts focus, Law’s to Asquith on 2 August:
Lord Lansdowne and I feel it our duty to inform you that in our opinion as well as in that of all the colleagues with whom we have been able to consult, it would be fatal to the honour and security of the United Kingdom to hesitate in supporting France and Russia at the present juncture; and we offer our unhesitating support to the Government in any measures they may consider necessary for that object.4
You fail to cite the first letter, but choose to mention the second. Context is relevant, you know. Also of extreme note, since you don't seem to know of all the actual players involved in those busy days.

In fact, evidence from the 1911 Agadir crisis, the last time that a Franco German war seemed possible, suggests Unionist leaders were always likely to support British involvement. In the House of Commons their then-leader, Arthur Balfour, offered the Government full support.11 Since then, although he opposed much of the Liberals’ domestic programme, Balfour was largely content with their foreign and defence policy. He sat on a sub-committee of the Committee of Imperial Defence and had regular contact with Churchill at the Admiralty.In contrast Law, who became leader in 1911, had poor relations with Liberal leaders and, while he supported the entente, showed limited interest in foreign affairs: as Robert Blake says, ‘he left such matters largely to Balfour, and to Lansdowne.’13 The last was the Unionist leader in the House of Lords and, as Foreign Secretary in 1904, had forged the entente with France. Another leading Unionist, loyal to the entente was Austen Chamberlain who wrote a contemporary account of crisis. It will be argued below that, while the radical Right did indeed help galvanise Chamberlain (who they saw as their flagbearer) into action, Unionist leaders consistently supported war and gave serious consideration to a coalition as a way to ensure Britain entered the war.

Why exactly is the 1911 crisis any different, in your mind? In 1911, Unionist leaders were more than willing to go to war over the interior of Morocco, but now they don't want to go to war over Serbia three years later?
Further:
Here CharlesRoux, the First Secretary, confirmed what Wilson had already heard from Nicolson at a pre-breakfast meeting: Germany had declared war on Russia, invaded Luxembourg and had refused to give the British government a guarantee of respect for Belgian neutrality. Despite all this, with the Cabinet was still divided; Grey had seen Cambon but refused to give any firm undertaking to fight.

In context, the interventionists were concerned about the British Cabinet's decisions even if Germany was to violate Belgium neutrality. Elsewhere I have read Churchill was concerned a minor violation of Belgium neutrality would not be enough to get Britain into the war.

The policy statement was hardly encouraging, beginning as it did by insisting, ‘We are under no obligation, express or implied, either to France or to Russia to render them military or naval help.’ In fact, it was based on a paper that Asquith had drawn up for the morning’s Cabinet, which was in tended to keep the Government together and therefore included points designed to please the pro-peace ministers.

It was difficult to reconcile its tone with the fact that ministers, at their second meeting that day, effectively decided in favour of war should there be ‘a substantial violation’ of Belgian neutrality – and had there by removed any immediate need for a coalition.

The above confirms the covert discussions about a coalition government were driven by a concern the British Liberal government would not decisively respond to a German invasion of Belgium, not war in every conceivable circumstance. The machinations were undertaken with the explicit expectation of German violation of Belgium neutrality, which does not happen with this POD.
Bit of a contradiction when the Cabinet decided to uphold its naval obligations with the French then, dont you think? If you're going to base an argument on that policy statement, don't you think its worth mentioning that the British upheld their agreements all the same?

The following extract from your reference reinforces this:

Asquith’s account also reveals that during this meeting the Unionists‘ laid great stress on Belgian neutrality. ’While it would be pointless to deny that the Unionists strongly supported the entente with France, it is clear once again that Belgium loomed large in their thinking.
So Asquith said that the Unionists strongly supported France, but Belgium was also on their mind. In what way does that reinforce the point that the Unionist would abandon France while she is fighting for her life? Would it not be wise, in their strong support of France, to enter the war before the Russian bear in the East dies and France is left on its own against the might of Germany?
In relation to the passages you quoted, the talk of mass resignations clearly refers to the doves, not the 2-3 hawks lurking in Cabinet. If Grey and Churchill alone rage quit, no one will mind too much.
If Churchill and Grey "rage-quit" the liberal war-hawks in parliament will form a coalition with the Conservatives and go to war. See, this is why you are so adamant on making the Unionists appear to have been non-supportive orf entrance into the war. If they want the British to support France and join them in a war against Germany, which they did, the doves in the liberal party have no position with which to bargain, and they either accede to the liberal war-hawks, or destroy the liberal party. The doves didn't care if Belgium was invaded or not, they just didn't want to join the war. The only reason the liberal party stayed together, and again I will refer to the final paragraph of that article, is because
Far from being a personal fad of Churchill’s, quickly written off by the principals, coalition was a serious option in early August 1914. The main reason it was not pursued was that its very possibility helped unite the Liberals behind war.

As an aside, your reference is interesting - I recommend you actually read it.

If you're going to be a condescending asshole, at least be right when you do it.

Last edited:
Grey said he would resign. He never said anything about going into retirement.
... nit picking, meaning was the same

He said it in his memoires, that he would not be in a government that chose to be neutral in a Franco-German war.
We're talking about the happenings and reaction of the day , not what was written well after everything with possible ... other aims, than telling the pure truth.

France was not at war with Germany on any of those dates.
Grey nevertheless made the 'threat' on the days I listed to get a certain reaction from cabinet. ... which he did NOT get.
WHEN actually war between Germany and France commeneced, tne belgian question was already settled IOTL ... with its violation given the 'waveree' in cabinet the reason to go to war (I never steted, that there was a sufficient faction for no-war-at-every-circumstances).
Grey stated to Lichnowsky that if France and Germany went to war the British government would act ...
Up to that I agree.
Only that ITTL the germans would leave the honor of the first action to France.
But the rest ...
... very quickly. From that I would assume that the showdown happens fairly quickly. Certainly the naysayers collapsed very quickly - by August 2nd even before the German ultimatum to Belgium, they'd yielded on the two key matters of substance - the lack of need for the naval pledge they agreed to, and their failure to insist on offering neutrality to Germany for the respect of Belgium.
Your very own perceptions and assertions without contemporary IOTL evidence.
Under your scenario Churchill has mobilized the navy to its war stations, the Ottoman dreadnoughts have been seized, the underseas cables out of Germany have been cut, the British army has completed mobilizing on the PM's authority, the shipping to move it to France has been concentrated, the DOW against Germany has been issued by the PM acting in the name of the king, the House has approved the requested funding for the war just declared, and any cabinet members that resigned have just committed political suicide - the nasty rumours that they are actually German spies and should be shot for treason will already be circulating, whispered in back rooms. Overseas the ANZAC forces will already be massing to take Rabaul and other points in the German colonies.
Nope ...
Not mine but your scenarios ... rather a copy/paste from IOTL without reference to ITTL.