Wi: money was never invented?

Hard to imaginate that money wouldn't be ever invented. It was invented long time ago in many areas independently so it is probably almost ASBish that there wouldn't be money.

As an addendum, money not existing does not make everything free. It just means that either another medium of exchange is used instead (cowrie shells, brass rings, whatever) or barter is used.

Perkeo

Banned
If civilization evolves to where it stood when money was invented, money is going to be invented, period!
Civilization without money is like urbanization without streets.

As @Jared already said, no money does not make everything free. Everything being free is a state of either very early human stages or a distant utopia. Both barter economies and palace economies can and have evolved impressively. Among their achievements was also the rationalisation of exchange resp. allocation. The question is why and how that (i.e. Money) would be prevented.

PhilippeO

Banned
Essentially there would be no trade between stranger. Only trade/borrowing/investment could only happen among 100s man you know, which can give you gifts and expects gifts back. Only people inside gift-giving network can cooperate with one another.

A palace economy like the one the Incas had does not require money, yes, but it’s also a very primitive sort of economy.

Might be that some pretty isolated nation not need money at least locally, but I am pretty sure that Incas must invent money on some point. Hard to imaginate that they can keep economic structure without money to modern day if survive.

Guys, free yourselves from your mental frames for a moment.
A palace economy like the one the Incas had does not require money, yes, but it’s also a very primitive sort of economy.
Looking at the level of organization of the Inca, I would say that is a highly questionable judgment.

Might be that some pretty isolated nation not need money at least locally, but I am pretty sure that Incas must invent money on some point. Hard to imaginate that they can keep economic structure without money to modern day if survive.
Tawantinsuyu surrounded by Spanish and Portuguese colonies, of course, that`s a different piece of cake, but that`s not what the OP asked for.
Tawantinsuyu in a world where Eurasians never invented money (if butterflies don`t interfere, which they well might): well, hard to imagine for us does not equate difficult to achieve for them.

I mean, technically didn't the Inca basically trade labor for supplies?
No, they didn`t, that`s just mapping our / your conceptual frame over their actions.

Skallagrim

Banned
AFAIK, Tawantinsuyu says hi.

The Icans laugh at you.

The Inca economy is super-fascinating, but the idea that "everything was free there" is complete nonsense. Whatever else we may say, it's not a useful example in this thread. If anything, it proves that "no money" does not mean "free".

I mean, technically didn't the Inca basically trade labor for supplies?

No, they didn`t, that`s just mapping our / your conceptual frame over their actions.

Using no money, mandatory labour was the base for the taxation-equivalent. That is: every person had to work for the state, and the state distributed goods directly to the people. That's all very interesting - and do note what we still don't know enough about the details to made good estimations of how flawlessly all this did or did not work - but anyone who thinks that this equates to "stuff is free" is mistaken.

Also, as @Lalli pointed out: at some point, there's going to be money. The Inca economy was an isolated thing. They did engage in barter trade with others, though. Once those others stop accepting barter and want gold (or whatever specie backs money), that will have effects.

Anyway, the basis point here is that whatever means of exchange you use, trade is always value for value. Nothing is free. The idea that "no money" makes things "free" is preposterous. And holding up the Inca economy as some sort moneyless utopia when it was in reality more of a pseudo-theocratic aristocracy where the elite controlled the state, the state monopolised food distribution, and the vast share of the population could be gang-pressed into forced labour or face starvation... well, that's a bit silly.

The Inca economy is super-fascinating, but the idea that "everything was free there" is complete nonsense. Whatever else we may say, it's not a useful example in this thread. If anything, it proves that "no money" does not mean "free".

Using no money, mandatory labour was the base for the taxation-equivalent. That is: every person had to work for the state, and the state distributed goods directly to the people. That's all very interesting - and do note what we still don't know enough about the details to made good estimations of how flawlessly all this did or did not work - but anyone who thinks that this equates to "stuff is free" is mistaken.

Also, as @Lalli pointed out: at some point, there's going to be money. The Inca economy was an isolated thing. They did engage in barter trade with others, though. Once those others stop accepting barter and want gold (or whatever specie backs money), that will have effects.

Anyway, the basis point here is that whatever means of exchange you use, trade is always value for value. Nothing is free. The idea that "no money" makes things "free" is preposterous. And holding up the Inca economy as some sort moneyless utopia when it was in reality more of a pseudo-theocratic aristocracy where the elite controlled the state, the state monopolised food distribution, and the vast share of the population could be gang-pressed into forced labour or face starvation... well, that's a bit silly.

I never said everything was free in Tawantinsuyu, only that they did not use currency in the way we do, in rebuttal to the claim that money was mandatory for a civilization.

Let´s keep things separated.

It was the OP who equated "no money" with "everything is free".
He got a few replies who insisted that money would always come into existence once civilization starts.
To these replies, some people held up the Inca counter-example.
That does not mean that these people - including me - think that in Tawantinsuyu, everything was free. You are most certainly right that it wasn`t, and I subscribe to your description of their economy. I´m not holding it up as a utopia, but as an example of a complex society without money.

I think the OP is really two challenges rolled into one:
a) no invention of money. That does not preclude development of complex civilizations, but it does beg the question of why exactly money isn`t invented ANYWHERE.
b) everything being "free". That, I would say, would either limit us to a stage of pre-neolithic development. Or it would imply projecting us into a sci-fi future a la Star Trek.

Skallagrim

Banned
Let´s keep things separated.

It was the OP who equated "no money" with "everything is free".
He got a few replies who insisted that money would always come into existence once civilization starts.
To these replies, some people held up the Inca counter-example.
That does not mean that these people - including me - think that in Tawantinsuyu, everything was free. You are most certainly right that it wasn`t, and I subscribe to your description of their economy. I´m not holding it up as a utopia, but as an example of a complex society without money.

Fair enough, you're right about this. Best to keep these things separated. I read the replies too much in light of the OP.

I think the OP is really two challenges rolled into one:
a) no invention of money. That does not preclude development of complex civilizations, but it does beg the question of why exactly money isn`t invented ANYWHERE.
b) everything being "free". That, I would say, would either limit us to a stage of pre-neolithic development. Or it would imply projecting us into a sci-fi future a la Star Trek.

Regarding (a), I'm pretty sure that the Inca economy would have its limits. The going theory is that, earlier cultures in the region having been highly vulnerable to starvation, a lot of effort was put into avoiding that. Basically, they were less interested in typical economic activities and more interested in building up an agricultural network. The threat of starvation also fits with the "central planning", which derives from communal effort and justice. The community works to ensure the common food supply, and a (presumably divinely appointed, thus just) elite allocates food equitably. That would result in what we saw historically. That said, it had evidently moved beyond that: by the time the Spaniards showed up, starvation was no longer a threat, the elite didn't share in the labour, and there were evidently "wealthy" families who controlled vast tracts of agricultural land.

I'd say that if such trends were to be extrapolated, the system would not remain viable. In other words: like some others, I believe that this communal, money-less, centrally planned system of collective work and distribution-of-means only works as intended in very local and quite primitive societies (and potentially in very advanced post-scarcity ones, but that hasn't been tested yet).

Long story short: I think the Inca economy was already becoming a relic system by the time the Spaniards arrived, and could not have survived the increasing evolution towards greater complexity and scale in society. Such money-less economies aren't exceptions for nothing. They develop only under specific circumstances. An intermediary means of exchange just makes so much sense under nearly all circumstances that keeping it from existing would be... very hard.

Regarding (b), I'd argue that even in the most primitive times, nothing is free. If you hunt, you expend energy and time. You exchange those for food, which you value more. Is the food you gain "free"? Everything has a cost. The absence of money doesn't mean the absence of value and cost... just as the absence of clocks doesn't mean that time ceases to exist.

Indeed, I imagine that only a post-scarcity situation could render all or most costs negligable. (If you have a replicator with essentially infinite energy etc., the 'cost' of a meal is the time and energy it takes to cross a room and press some buttons-- which is no cost at all for most practical purposes.) Short of a situation like that, however, I think "free" is a word that is used far too... freely. ;)