Ottoman stagnation debate continuation

Link to original thread page. @Lampiao

They were doing fine at a time when parliamentary democracy isn't even a concept. It's when nationalism and the notion of voting came along, and the Ottoman failure to recognize and adapt to the changing trends, that reduced them to a crippled state.

Exactly. The Ottoman Empire wasn't supposed to be a Nation state as their Western contemporaries, it was something else since 1453 and earlier. The old sultanate simply wasn't able to adapt itself to new ideas and just waited for the bitter end. Ironically, the minorities (Armenians?) suffered the most with the implosion of the Empire...

Are you guys serious or is this satire?

EDIT: I mean, if it is I congratulate you since they represent the cliches perfectly. "Waited for the bitter end" lol.

How is my statement remotely satire? The Ottomans lasted for centuries, and was generally able to hold together and even push deep into Europe on its heyday. I wouldn't call an empire that looked set to break down the gates of Vienna a failed state then. That said, by the early modern era, as minorities grew more conscious of their national identities, and the Ottomans start to stagnate under outdated systems and privileged classes (e.g. Janissaries), it was clear that the Ottomans either need radical change or risk a slow, agonizing death. IOTL, they got the latter.

What do you mean by satire? If I didn't make myself clear, I'll try to explain it more directly: the Ottoman Empire was unquestionably one of the most successful states during the Early Modern Era, however, it didn't follow the same path towards nation-building that we see in Western Europe since the 15th and 16th century. It was only in the 18th and mostly in 19th century that their Islamic political establishment started to crumble down due to the influence of European ideas and stagnation. Finally, the Ottoman establishment also unquestionably didn't try enough to adapt, getting slowly consumed by nationalisms everywhere within the Empire to a point that even the Turkish core didn't want them anymore.

Of course, I'm over-simplifying, this is only a paragraph about 400 years if history after all. That said, if you care to explain why do you think this comment is non-factual and/or satirical you'll probably add something useful to the discussion.

It looks like satire because it's a perfect representation of the Orientalist cliches that have been debunked in academia (almost universally rejected actually) and on this forum over and over and over again. You're spouting 19th century Orientalist bull-crap. What do you think happened to the Janissaries? Do you even know what the New Order/Tanzimat is or do you have to go to Wikipedia? The Ottoman elite was making drastic changes to their state since the time of Napoleon. Islamic scholars were key to the reform efforts in Ottoman schools. Places like Syria and Selanika boomed in economic productiity during the 19th century. You just keep spouting so many cliches that it's hard to keep up.

Then Lampiao mentions a "Turkish core". "Turk" was simply a term for backwoods Anatolian peasant before the 1877-8 war and had to be painstakingly constructed and expanded afterwards. Can you please tell how me "Turk" was even defined before the 20th century? Or how the second most poorest and most irrelevant part of the Ottoman state (Anatolia) is supposed to be the "core"?

I wouldn't say that. The Ottoman state after Mahmud II was a somewhat modernized state, much like Tsarist Russia. It never had any hope of regaining its power under Suleiman the Magnificent, of course, but it could have been a great power with much ecclesial influence.

The Ottomans were centred around the Balkans until the 1877-78 war.

No, the Ottomans only moved towards becoming a failed state after the 1877-78 war, which caused the emergence of Turkish nationalism, and it only became a truly failed state in the 20th century.

As I said, of course I'm oversimplifying. I'm not writing an article here. If you understood you correctly you're say that "things are not that simple", but I'm not saying that they are, the Ottoman Empire passed thorugh various waves of modernization, no one's arguing that. You need to differenciate a cliche (satire?) from a simplification. The Ottoman Empire did try modernize, so did Persia, Ethiopia, Siam, Madagascar... But it simply wasn't enough IMHO. In your opinion, was it enough?

You both have a point. I have only mentioned the "Turkish core" because the notion of failed state often comes with internal ethnic strife (at least in this topic, since we're discussing Multi ethnic parliaments). Still, we all agree that the notion of ethnicity in the Ottoman Empire was pretty blurry, which pretty much confirms my first point: the Ottoman Empire was never meant to be a Nation state.

The problem isn't that you're oversimplifying. The problem is that you're repeating incorrect ideas promoted by Orientalist writers. The sentence "their Islamic political establishment started to crumble down due to the influence of European ideas and stagnation." is completely wrong. The Ottomans had problems because Christian powers actively screwed them over, not because they couldn't deal with European ideas. The entire notion of Ottoman "stagnation" makes no sense. How could they have stagnated when they were constantly reforming? The Ottoman reformers had all the right ideas and tried their best to put them into practice. You are completely discounting outside factors and pinning all the blame on the Ottomans. What do you think they could have done differently?

It's doesn't confirm your first point at all. Nationality does not equal ethnicity. There's nothing that makes an Ottoman nationality inherently more unviable than an Indian nationality. Ottomanism was doing fine until the 1877-78 war stripped away majority of Christians in the Empire. Even afterwards though, Ottomanism still held a large amount of purchase. Quoted from From the “Ottoman Nation” to “Hyphenated Ottomans”: Reflections on the Multicultural Imperial Citizenship at the End of Empire by Michelle U. Campos

These are some very informative articles. Thank you.

I'm not sure that I get your argument here. Countries fight and use their weaknesses against one another. What's the big deal? The Ottomans used to win wars against pretty much all European nations together and for some reason "Christian powers actively started screwing them over", why is that?

Which outside factors? If European powers use minorities within the Empire to win wars its because the Ottomans failed to "win the hearts and minds" of their own subjects (and obviously failled to modernize).

Now, to talk about what could have been done to save the Ottomans from disintegration is way too off-topic I suppose.

If this nation doesn't have a clear majority, "Pillarisation" à la the Netherlands is the answer. We will need a multiparty system with each group and political spectrum having a specific political party. ie. Christian Conservatives, Muslim Conservatives, Muslim Liberals, etc. Eventually, if the country is multicultural enough, it'll need some reserved seats in the parliament.

You're welcome. They're not the full article.

My argument is that the Ottoman reformers did all that they could to reform the Empire and could have succeeded if not for bad luck. You're saying that the Ottomans weakened and died because they "stagnated". I'm saying that because of geopolitical bad luck (aided by the immense population and geographic advantages of northern Europe), Ottoman enemies were able to interfere with reform efforts and cripple the process of state strengthening. If you're talking only about the 18th century, then the Ottomans did fragment due to various reasons and there was no pressing need to stop that. The 19th century is an entirely different story.

They failed to "win hearts and minds" because of outside factors like the Napoleonic Wars. Please tell me how the Greek revolt would've happened without the incredibly unfavorable geopolitical situation caused by Napoleon? I also want to know what your definition of "modernization" is.

EDIT: You also didn't answer my question of what the reformers could have done differently.

The 19th century history of the Ottomans can be summed up in two phrases "Red Queen's Race" and "Self-fulfilling prophecy." Ottoman modernizing efforts were sincere, extensive and had great effect. The problem was that while they made substantial progress in an absolute sense, they never closed the gap with the European powers. They were importers of technology and ideas, not contributors in their own right. The other problem was that they were tagged as "the sick man of Europe." The other powers didn't believe in the long-term viability of the Ottomans, and so took every crisis as an opportunity to peel off territory or extract concessions from them. Decline was a belief before it became a reality.

We should note that Ottoman history can be divided into two eras. One was before Mahmud II, the other was during and after Mahmud II. They were essentially two different empires in which quite a bit, even what the Ottomans wore on their heads, was different. To view Ottoman history as a great decline ignores such events like the Tanzimat or the purging of the Janissaries that drastically altered the Empire. But the Ottomans faced the strain of numerous powerful states on its borders, such as Egypt, Persia, Russia, and Austria, which made nationalism more difficult.

In regards to nationalism, it was, in my view, the result of Ottoman decline rather than its cause. For instance, the first Serbian revolt was caused by the harsh rule by the local Janissary clique, which had long grown into a corrupt institution. Other nationalisms arose due to similar reasons. So no, it was not going to inevitably break the Ottoman Empire apart; as long as it got its shit together, the decline would stop and thus so would nationalism.

We should note that Ottoman history can be divided into two eras. One was before Mahmud II, the other was during and after Mahmud II. They were essentially two different empires in which quite a bit, even what the Ottomans wore on their heads, was different. To view Ottoman history as a great decline ignores such events like the Tanzimat or the purging of the Janissaries that drastically altered the Empire. But the Ottomans faced the strain of numerous powerful states on its borders, such as Egypt, Persia, Russia, and Austria, which made nationalism more difficult.

In regards to nationalism, it was, in my view, the result of Ottoman decline rather than its cause. For instance, the first Serbian revolt was caused by the harsh rule by the local Janissary clique, which had long grown into a corrupt institution. Other nationalisms arose due to similar reasons. So no, it was not going to inevitably break the Ottoman Empire apart; as long as it got its shit together, the decline would stop and thus so would nationalism.

I think Selim III had the potential to accomplish a lot more than he did-I still plan on replying in our argument in that other thread.

The Habsburgs actually realigned towards the Ottomans in the 19th century due to the greater threat of Russia. The severe problems they had are another factor of unfavorable Ottoman geopolitics.

I was waiting for more people to participate as I said in the other topic. I'll add my 2 cents now.

IMHO Tanzimat and the disbanding of the Janissaries came way too late and they came after pretty catastrophic events for the Ottomans: Greek and Serbian independence, Muhammed Ali becomes too strong, France starts simply occupying a nominal part of the empire, the signature of a free trade agreement with the UK crippling any possibility for industrialization, etc. Now, if we can get an Auspicious Incident during the 18th century the Ottomans will have a chance to modernize early their military, abolish jizya (Christians are a considerable part of the Empire after all) and possibly inventing mass conscription. The earlier the emancipation the better and mass conscription is a plausible way to achieve it.

I was waiting for more people to participate as I said in the other topic. I'll add my 2 cents now.

IMHO Tanzimat and the disbanding of the Janissaries came way too late and they came after pretty catastrophic events for the Ottomans: Greek and Serbian independence, Muhammed Ali becomes too strong, France starts simply occupying a nominal part of the empire, the signature of a free trade agreement with the UK crippling any possibility for industrialization, etc. Now, if we can get an Auspicious Incident during the 18th century the Ottomans will have a chance to modernize early their military, abolish jizya (Christians are a considerable part of the Empire after all) and possibly inventing mass conscription. The earlier the emancipation the better and mass conscription is a plausible way to achieve it.

We're not debating on how the Ottomans could have been more successful with their reform. The argument started with these two quotes:

They were doing fine at a time when parliamentary democracy isn't even a concept. It's when nationalism and the notion of voting came along, and the Ottoman failure to recognize and adapt to the changing trends, that reduced them to a crippled state.

Exactly. The Ottoman Empire wasn't supposed to be a Nation state as their Western contemporaries, it was something else since 1453 and earlier. The old sultanate simply wasn't able to adapt itself to new ideas and just waited for the bitter end. Ironically, the minorities (Armenians?) suffered the most with the implosion of the Empire...

The Ottomans both recognized and adapted strongly to European ideas and they ultimately were weakened/destroyed due to bad geopolitical luck. From what I understand, your argument is that they couldn't deal with European ideas, didn't try hard enough to reform, and crumbled because of European ideas and stagnation. Could you respond to my last reply in the OP?

The Ottomans both recognized and adapted strongly to European ideas and they ultimately were weakened/destroyed due to bad geopolitical luck. From what I understand, your argument is that they couldn't deal with European ideas, didn't try hard enough to reform, and crumbled because of European ideas and stagnation. Could you respond to my last reply in the OP?

Well, I stand by my opinion. They took too much time to change. By the mid 1800's the "perfect storm" was already created, they'd a much more radical change than they were willing to do.

They failed to "win hearts and minds" because of outside factors like the Napoleonic Wars. Please tell me how the Greek revolt would've happened without the incredibly unfavorable geopolitical situation caused by Napoleon?

European Philihellenism surely helped the revolt, but you can't simply say Nationalistic revolts happened because of foreign influence. As Indicus mentioned, they happen because of harsh rule, as pretty much like the French, American, or any other revolution in the world. Also, you can't simply butterfly away Philihellenism from the Western mentality (this forum is a living proof of this); thus you can't simply start a massacre of Christian Greeks and not piss the Christians and Philihellenes off. Of course they'd react to defend their Christian borthers, as they did during the rest of 19th century countless times.

It's not that the Ottoman government didn't recognize there was a problem, or that it refused to emulate European ideas and undertake major changes. At the highest level, the Ottoman reform projects were often well-intentioned, radical and fairly comprehensive.
In practice, however, the Ottoman reforms were slow and cumbersome to start and even slower to implement, heavily watered-down and only somewhat effective. They were more than a little prone to reactionary backswings - Selim III's appeasement of the Janissaries (which led to the Serbian uprising, among other consequences) represents an early example of that. And the reform's impact in the provinces was diminished to a trickle by the resistance of provincial elites (which the state was often unable and/or unwilling to seriously confront).

When the Balkan peoples revolted - and it was hardly surprising that they did, again and again - the Ottomans responded with extreme violence, ensuring the affected regions will be simmering hotbeds of separatism even if the revolt in question is defeated.

And as for European powers...sure, some powers screwed the Ottomans over at various points and hindered the reform movement. But some European powers were defending and helping the Ottomans at various points, and assisting the reform movement. The Ottoman Empire wasn't alone against the world or something. It had about as many enemies - and as many allies - as it could reasonably expect.

The 19th century history of the Ottomans can be summed up in two phrases "Red Queen's Race" and "Self-fulfilling prophecy." Ottoman modernizing efforts were sincere, extensive and had great effect. The problem was that while they made substantial progress in an absolute sense, they never closed the gap with the European powers. They were importers of technology and ideas, not contributors in their own right. The other problem was that they were tagged as "the sick man of Europe." The other powers didn't believe in the long-term viability of the Ottomans, and so took every crisis as an opportunity to peel off territory or extract concessions from them. Decline was a belief before it became a reality.

Also this idea of they fell because "Europeans kept screwing them over." is silly in a way. Not that the Europeans didn't try doing that and succeeding on a number of occasions but that is what countries always do. The Ottomans weren't just poor victims who dealt with their rivals only with total honesty and fairness. They did their share of screwing people over. The thing is it was a symptom not the cause of the fall of the Ottoman Empire. When they were strong they could prevent themselves being screwed over however as it got weaker it got harder and harder to prevent.

Sure they reformed but not at the same rate as Europe which was problem. It might not have been stagnating in absolute terms but it sure was in relative and it is the relative that counts. In say 1850 it could beat any 1820 European Army but so what? They wouldn't be fight 1820 European Armies but 1850 ones. At its height it was at the gates of Vienna. It was a mere shadow of its former self by the end of WWI. Vibrant societies don't allow that to happen.

longsword14

Banned
Regardless of how effective/ineffective the Ottomans were, what cannot be denied that they just did not have it in them to compete as a Great Power.
Many would call that as being The Sick Man.

I think the fall of the Ottoman Empire was unavoidable, knowledge and know how moved from "Europe" not the other way around, but it wasn't something which was universal embraced, it something which was adopted by the Christian minorities and which didn't spread to the rest of population, because to the Muslims Europe offered nothing of value, at least not before the French rudely awaken them. The Greek and Serbs rebelled after several hundred years of Ottoman mismanagement of the Balkans. The Balkans wasn't a especially poor region of Europe before the Ottomans, but they have still not come back after Ottoman rule, and in fact the shorter Ottoman rule were in the different areas if the region, the better off they are today. The Ottomans offered their Christian subject nothing, to them the Sultan was just a bigger bandit, who plundered his Balkan possession and left a impoverished backwater behind.

Today if you visit Central Europe and the Balkans, the most of former subjects of the Habsburg remember them fondly, and Austrians in general have a okay reputation. The former subjects of the Ottoman despise their former dynasty and the Turks. I think that sums up why the Ottoman ended up the sick man of Europe.

Regardless of how effective/ineffective the Ottomans were, what cannot be denied that they just did not have it in them to compete as a Great Power.
Many would call that as being The Sick Man.

I disagree. The Ottomans were a great power at times in the nineteenth century, and were only stopped by wars. They never had any chance to be as great as they were in the sixteenth century for sure, but to be a great power? That was achievable, and indeed was achieved at times.

Once Europe starts industrialising Ottoman power projection is weak enough to be beaten convincingly.
Russia they could probably take in a defensive war but on the attack..:teary:

The Ottomans don't need to project power because their empire is quite vast even without new conquests. Sure, it would be nice if the Ottomans reconquered North Africa, but they never had a real need to do so.

All they needed to do is defend their vast imperial domain, and would continue to a great power with ecclesial influence across the Islamic world. But they lost territory in their various wars and their domain was reduced to the point that they were only a middle power.

The Ottomans don't need to project power because their empire is quite vast even without new conquests. Sure, it would be nice if the Ottomans reconquered North Africa, but they never had a real need to do so.

All they needed to do is defend their vast imperial domain, and would continue to a great power with ecclesial influence across the Islamic world. But they lost territory in their various wars and their domain was reduced to the point that they were only a middle power.

And how they're supposed to defend their territory? First they need to disband the Janissaries as soon as they start to go crazy, like Peter the great did with the Strel'tsy. If a sultan is capable of that during the 17th or 18th century, the Ottoman military will modernize in a faster pace, eventually leading to mass conscription and subsequent abolition of the jizya, these policies will open the door to a more multiethnic and multi religious establishment.

I disagree. The Ottomans were a great power at times in the nineteenth century, and were only stopped by wars. They never had any chance to be as great as they were in the sixteenth century for sure, but to be a great power? That was achievable, and indeed was achieved at times.

Is that really an excuse? Stopped by wars? The Ottoman Empire was hardly the only country in the 19th century that had wars. They made a number of mistakes.

And how they're supposed to defend their territory? First they need to disband the Janissaries as soon as they start to go crazy, like Peter the great did with the Strel'tsy. If a sultan is capable of that during the 17th or 18th century, the Ottoman military will modernize in a faster pace, eventually leading to mass conscription and subsequent abolition of the jizya, these policies will open the door to a more multiethnic and multi religious establishment.

They could not have modernized in the 17th century for one main reason: They were modern, and were powerful. Europe only surpassed the Ottomans and the other gunpowder empires in the eighteenth century, and if the Ottomans had modernized with Europe, they would be extremely powerful. They would unleash great power on their European enemies, and dominate the Balkans and the Caspian.

But even with their OTL modernization, they could have stopped the losses, and at least have been a powerful empire by retaining which territories they had. They were able to modernize their territories, and the only reason they are today considered failures is because they lost a few wars in the nineteenth century. If they won those wars, and if they were able to stop the discontent that resulted in nationalism, they would not be a world-shattering force, but they could have been a great power.

They could not have modernized in the 17th century for one main reason: They were modern, and were powerful. Europe only surpassed the Ottomans and the other gunpowder empires in the eighteenth century, and if the Ottomans had modernized with Europe, they would be extremely powerful. They would unleash great power on their European enemies, and dominate the Balkans and the Caspian.

I don't understand your reasoning here. They didn't evolve because they didn't have to? That's the exact mentality that lead to decay of most non-Western societies. Western Europe was already "on the top of the world" by the 16th century, if you allow me this kitsch metaphore, still, Europeans kept evolving and constantly changing (mostly because they constantly fought each other).

But even with their OTL modernization, they could have stopped the losses, and at least have been a powerful empire by retaining which territories they had. They were able to modernize their territories, and the only reason they are today considered failures is because they lost a few wars in the nineteenth century. If they won those wars, and if they were able to stop the discontent that resulted in nationalism, they would not be a world-shattering force, but they could have been a great power.

Also, what do mean by "they are only considered failures because they lost"? Please don't take this as an offense, but that's quite a circular reasoning.