A More Aulesian Britain (and Ireland): A Collaboration

Gian

Banned
Oh OK. I wasn't entirely sure how to reflect that with the OTL electoral wards, where in places it does cross them, so feel free to take liberties with my proposals to ensure they don't cross the county borders.

I could take Cambridgeshire's seats though.

Here are some potential seats for Northumberland and Tyne and Wear. I based it on the 60,000 figure meaning Northumberland has four and Tyne and Wear thirteen seats. Unfortunately crossing the Tyne was unavoidable with Tyne Valley seat in the western Newcastle suburbs crossing the river. Seats that look unnatural for borders are usually based on transport and communications links (7, 8 and 14 all follow the Metro line for instance, 8 follows the Coast Road that it is named after, 10 follows Scotswood Road and 3 follows a major A road too). I of course have a personal interest in the region, being from the Gateshead West constituency, and I have used this local knowledge to try and preserve community ties where possible.

upload_2017-6-17_2-11-21.png

Northumberland
1 - Berwick-upon-Tweed
2 - Prudhoe and Hexham
3 - Ashington and Druridge
4 - Blyth Valley

Tyne and Wear

5 - Newcastle Woolsington
6 - Newcastle North
7 - Whitley Bay and Longbenton
8 - Wallsend and Tynemouth
9 - Newcastle Central
10 - Tyne Valley
11 - Gateshead West
12 - Gateshead East and Hebburn
13 - South Shields
14 - Boldon and Sunderland North
15 - Washington
16 - Sunderland Harbour
17 - Sunderland South

If you approve of this then the overall map would be this:
upload_2017-6-17_2-22-44.png

Last edited:

eadmund

Banned
6 - Newcastle Gosforth
7 - Whitley and Longbenton
8 - Wallsend and Coast Road
9 - Newcastle Citadel
10 - Tyne Valley
11 - Gateshead West
13 - South Shields
15 - Washington
16 - Sunderland Harbour
17 - Sunderland South

Wallsend and Tynemouth would probably work better. Also note that it's Whitley Bay and hasn't been Whitley for a long time.

Maybe Newcastle Central for Citadel and Newcastle North for Gosforth?

Wallsend and Tynemouth would probably work better. Also note that it's Whitley Bay and hasn't been Whitley for a long time.

Maybe Newcastle Central for Citadel and Newcastle North for Gosforth?

You're right, that's why you shouldn't think up names for constituencies after 2am. Unfortunately Newcastle Castle didn't work out as a name for obvious reasons, which was what I'd hoped to go for.

I'll rename those seats with names which aren't so good.

Gian

Banned
Here are some potential seats for Northumberland and Tyne and Wear. I based it on the 60,000 figure meaning Northumberland has four and Tyne and Wear thirteen seats. Unfortunately crossing the Tyne was unavoidable with Tyne Valley seat in the western Newcastle suburbs crossing the river. Seats that look unnatural for borders are usually based on transport and communications links (7, 8 and 14 all follow the Metro line for instance, 8 follows the Coast Road that it is named after, 10 follows Scotswood Road and 3 follows a major A road too). I of course have a personal interest in the region, being from the Gateshead West constituency, and I have used this local knowledge to try and preserve community ties where possible.

View attachment 328587
Northumberland
1 - Berwick-upon-Tweed
2 - Prudhoe and Hexham
3 - Ashington and Druridge
4 - Blyth Valley

Tyne and Wear

6 - Newcastle North
7 - Whitley Bay and Longbenton
8 - Wallsend and Tynemouth
9 - Newcastle Central
10 - Tyne Valley
11 - Gateshead West
13 - South Shields
15 - Washington
16 - Sunderland Harbour
17 - Sunderland South

If you approve of this then the overall map would be this:
View attachment 328592

You're right.

I checked the tabulation, and the number of constituencies matches up with your suggestion, so it's APPROVED

Gian

Banned
Anyways, here's the tabulation of all of England's seats just so that you're aware: Link

and here's the map with all the additions in Tyne and Wear, Cambridgshire, and Northumberland

FPTP seats completed: 86/800 seats

KsHwxU2.png

Anyways, here's the tabulation of all of England's seats just so that you're aware: Link

My only concern is Furness is going to have an electorate of over 70,000 which means either a constituency will need to cross Morecambe Bay to incorporate a few thousand voters or Furness will need to be merged with Westmoreland which is highly unwanted due to the county border.

May I suggest having Furness as a special case constituency with a slightly higher electorate, with the rest of Lancashire having the other 18 seats it is entitled to?

Gian

Banned
My only concern is Furness is going to have an electorate of over 70,000 which means either a constituency will need to cross Morecambe Bay to incorporate a few thousand voters or Furness will need to be merged with Westmoreland which is highly unwanted due to the county border.

May I suggest having Furness as a special case constituency with a slightly higher electorate, with the rest of Lancashire having the other 18 seats it is entitled to?

Changed it now.

Made some maps for Birmingham and London.

upload_2017-6-19_23-0-28.png

1. Sutton Coldfield
2. Birmingham Perry Barr
3. Birmingham Erdington
4. Birmingham Handsworth
5. Birmingham Aston
6. Birmingham Yardley
7. Birmingham Edgbaston
8. Birmingham Northfield
9. Birmingham Selly Oak
10. Birmingham Sparkbrook
11. Birmingham Hall Green

upload_2017-6-20_0-10-48.png

1. Poplar & Limehouse
2. Bethnal Green & Bow
3. City of London
4. Hackney North & Stoke Newington
5. Hackney Central
6. Islington North
7. Islington Central
8. Shoreditch & Finsbury
9. Hampstead
10. Holborn & St Pancras
11. Westminster
12. Paddington
13. Kensington
14. Chelsea & Fulham
15. Hammersmith
16. Putney
17. Battersea
18. Tooting
19. Clapham
20. Vauxhall
21. Brixton
22. Streatham
23. Camberwell
24. Bermondsey
25. Peckham
26. Dulwich
27. Lewisham West
28. Lewisham East
29. Greenwich
30. Woolwich
31. Eltham

I have a bit of a work germ going, so have Bristol too.

upload_2017-6-20_0-50-55.png

Hopefully it's easy enough to figure out which seat is which:
Bristol North West
Bristol North East
Bristol West
Bristol South
Bristol East

Here's Suffolk:

upload_2017-6-20_20-19-43.png

1. West Suffolk
2. Bury St Edmunds
3. Stowmarket
4. South Suffolk
5. Ipswich West
6. Ipswich East
7. Felixstowe
8. Eye
9. Lowestoft

Yeah, I bought back the smallest town to give its name to a Parliamentary constituency. If anyone wants to use the names Mid Suffolk and East Suffolk instead of Stowmarket and Eye, feel free to, but at least I didn't come up with as stupid a name for a constituency as 'Central Suffolk and North Ipswich'. :p

Gian

Banned
@Prime Minister - Try shifting Birmingham's boundaries, as Birmingham City also includes Smethwick as well, as you can see here:

CPtgxI9.png

London, Bristol, and Suffolk though, I'll accept, though some constituencies could be renamed:

-Bermondsey or Camberwell > Bermondsey/Camberwell and Old Southwark
-Poplar and Limehouse > Poplar and Bromley (Limehouse is apparently part of the City of London constituency)
-Westminster > City of Westminster
-Lowestoft > Waveney (for continuity's sake)

Last edited:
Done Essex. Unfortunately the programme I'm using to do the maps is split by OTL region so I had to do the OTL Essex and OTL Greater London bits separately, but hopefully you can combine them.

upload_2017-6-21_0-38-24.png
1. Saffron Walden
2. North Essex
3. Colchester
4. Harwich
5. Clacton
6. Maldon
7. Braintree
8. Epping
9. Harlow
10. Lea Valley
11. Brentwood
12. Chelmsford
13. East Essex
14. Rochford
15. Southend East
16. Southend West
17. Castle Point
18. Billericay
19. Basildon
20. Tilbury
21. Thurrock

upload_2017-6-21_1-19-48.png

22. Upminster
23. Romford
24. Hornchurch
25. Dagenham
26. Barking
27. Ilford North
28. Ilford South
29. Chingford
30. Walthamstow
31. Leyton
32. Wanstead & Woodford
33. West Ham
34. East Ham
35. Plaistow

@Prime Minister - Might this tabulation work? (there's only one missing seat, so you can work around that)

NOTE: I used the export function of Plan Builder to get this in tab format

Possibly, but I don't think we really need to do seats which cross the boundary between OTL Essex and Greater London, since the Borough of Havering and the boroughs west of it were part of a pretty contiguous set of local government areas separate from the area east of them even when they were part of Essex.

If we do go with that tabulation, I'd rather not ram together area names in naming the constituencies if they were never named as such OTL. So instead of Barking and Plaistow, and Rainham and Hornchurch, can we have just a Barking seat and a Hornchurch seat?

Out of curiosity, how did Britain come to adapt such an electoral system? I'd imagine the Liberals would have a role as they've always pushed PR?

I'm interested in this project, but I don't know if I could do any electoral districts. Could I possibly suggest political party ideas instead?