AHC: Have Australia win the Great Emu War

I guess air support might help out a lot. Emus are fast for land animals, but that's nothing on even 1930's planes.

Chemical or bio weapons. Sounds crazy, but don't forget the Aussies used myxomatosis on rabbits in the 50s.

And as I recall, it failed so infamously that my 9th grade Bio class learned about it as an example of adaptation in practice.

The Mighty Emu Empire will never be conquered.

They beat the Australians once. They will do it again.

Long Live the Emus!

Now with that out of the way, it would have to take dedicated teams going after nesting sights, putting bounties on each head brought in, and much higher level of commitments to take on the Emus.

Even then they will survive to gain their revenge.:evilsmile:

Ask for help from their ANZAC brothers, New Zealand. We've made bigger birds than the Emu go extinct! ;)

Or maybe something like:
  • Offer a generous bounty per Emu shot (must provide, say, head or claw as evidence)
  • Advertise the bounty across Australia
  • Encourage the use of Emu meat and eggs as a food source.

Ask for help from their ANZAC brothers, New Zealand. We've made bigger birds than the Emu go extinct! ;)

Or maybe something like:
  • Offer a generous bounty per Emu shot (must provide, say, head or claw as evidence)
  • Advertise the bounty across Australia
  • Encourage the use of Emu meat and eggs as a food source.

They did do the bounty, and it became the primary focus of national efforts after the military response failed. I think the idea here is to let the soldiers pull this off.

David Flin

Gone Fishin'
Is there anything in the rules that says that Rugby Union players have to be human? Given their speed and difficulty of tackling emus, if one can solve the difficulty they might potentially have with catching a ball, they might make pretty fair wing three-quarters.

Then put them up against the All Blacks.

Deleted member 94680

The "war" was conducted under the command of Major G.P.W. Meredith of the Seventh Heavy Battery of the Royal Australian Artillery, with Meredith commanding a pair of soldiers armed with two Lewis guns and 10,000 rounds of ammunition.

"Bruce?"
"Yes, Sir?"
"I want you to find a good man and go to the armoury to sign out two Lewis Guns."
"Sir?"
"Then I want you to go to the ammunition depot and sign out 10,000 rounds of ball round."
"Sir?!? We're not... we're not at War, are we Sir? Anti-aircraft duties or some such?"
"No lad, we're going to kill some Emus."

You couldn't make it up.

Mostly they just need to deploy a lot of sharpshooters instead of a few machine guns. Machine guns sound good as an anti-animal weapon, but if you think about what you're doing for about thirty seconds you can see that they're actually pretty worthless, because animals aren't likely to charge in a large mass at a fixed position. Even herding animals will scatter when you fire a machine gun at them, so what you really need are people with rifles and patience.

gtuNSJ8.jpg

Hmm, obviously a larger scale campaign is needed. Call in RAF support, they had experience of "aerial policing" from Iraq Command that might be useful. Obviously dozens of aircraft, armoured cars and airlifted troops to deal with enemy concentrations will be needed. Copious use of fragmentation bombs, incendiaries and poison gas along with heavy employment of aerial strafing.
Or you could introduce wolves, that'd do the trick...

This reminds me of some of the work being done to eliminate the feral hogs in the US. Unfortunately, we seem to be killing the dumb ones and the smart one keep on reproducing.

In order to increase demand for the feral hog meat, there are chefs in Texas who are coming up with gourmet meals of the meat. It is hoping that this would help increase the killing of the feral hogs. In Texas you can hunt feral hogs year round.

[Emily Litella]

What's all this I hear about Australia fighting a war on emo? With all the important things that Australian society has to deal with, they want to waste time fighting a war against a style of music? I mean, what about water conservation? What about supporting the banana industry like that nice man Mr. Katter was talking about the other day? What about the little children who might be so depressed that their government isn't addressing these things that they might stop eating toast and drinking milk? Why, they might need to listen to emo music more than ever, right when their own country is fighting a war on it! I plan to write a letter to Prime Minister Turnbull right now and tell him that -

Oh. Well that's very different.

emily-litella-never-mind.jpg

[/Emily Litella]

This reminds me of some of the work being done to eliminate the feral hogs in the US. Unfortunately, we seem to be killing the dumb ones and the smart one keep on reproducing.

In order to increase demand for the feral hog meat, there are chefs in Texas who are coming up with gourmet meals of the meat. It is hoping that this would help increase the killing of the feral hogs. In Texas you can hunt feral hogs year round.

Kind of like Snakehead fishing here in Maryland. We can't eradicate the things because they breed five times a year and they lay a ton of eggs. It is against the law to catch and release them. You catch one, you kill it (they are good to eat).