Gerrymandering US states in the name of liberalism

Nope, we're not a democracy.

So I'll freely admittedly that I'm biased since I absolutely hate the "America is not a democracy" meme, but I have trouble buying the idea that a country can have the popular vote for Mayors, City Councils, Sheriffs, School Boards, Governors, legislators both state/federal etc, and be considered a non-democracy, but directly electing the Head of State is what pushes it over into the "Democracy" label.

Last edited:
So I'll freely admittedly that I'm biased since I absolutely hate the "America is not a democracy" meme, but I have trouble buying the idea that a country can have the popular vote for Mayors, City Councils, Sheriffs, School Boards, Governors, legislators both state/federal etc, and be considered a non-democracy, but directly electing the Head of State is what pushes it over into the "Democracy" label.

The same way that having a company-wide survey for the new CEO doesn’t matter when it’s the shareholders–in their proportions–who make that determination. If the Founders had wanted democracy, they would have made a democracy. If you don’t comprehend the distinction between a republic and a democracy, then... well, you’re the reason for the unconstitutional changes made to the country in the last century.

The same way that having a company-wide survey for the new CEO doesn’t matter when it’s the shareholders–in their proportions–who make that determination. If the Founders had wanted democracy, they would have made a democracy.

Ok. So answer this. If the *only* change made to the current American Political system is the replacement of the electoral college with a popular vote, would America suddenly become a "democracy?"

Last edited:
Ok. So answer this. If the *only* change made to the current American Political system is the replacement of the electoral college with a popular vote, would America suddenly become a "democracy?"
It would FULLY cease to be a republic. Our republican values have been eroded massively over the last century such that even all media and all news (never mind many of our elected officials) repeat “democracy” “democracy” “democracy” ad infinitum. The Constitution isn’t a suggestion. It is THE law, forged in blood, and by God, we’ll enforce it by that again if we have to.

It would FULLY cease to be a republic. Our republican values have been eroded massively over the last century such that even all media and all news (never mind many of our elected officials) repeat “democracy” “democracy” “democracy” ad infinitum. The Constitution isn’t a suggestion. It is THE law, forged in blood, and by God, we’ll enforce it by that again if we have to.

Still mad about the 17th Amendment?

Of course. Bandaid for a bullet wound. The idea that undermining the republic’s system would “stop corruption” was a fucking joke when they “passed” it, and they knew it.

Ah. Well I must admit that there's certainly a lot more I can say (and ask like seconding Achaemenid Rome's question), but we shouldn't derail this thread further. If you're so inclined, we can start a thread in chat.

That said, this isn't an exceptionally good gerrymander in the practical sense because it could be knocked over by a stiff breeze, electorally speaking. By my reckoning, 121 of those EV are in states decided by less than 2,000 votes, and I think a majority of EV are within a percent.
Yeah, a truly "strong" gerrymander would be something like this:
BlueWall.png

Sure, Clinton only wins by 4 EVs -- but every blue state goes for her by 10% or more. It'd take a Reagan to tear down that Blue Wall.

Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 10.29.05 AM.png

A completely Democratic voting 2016 electoral map with only contiguous states. Hawaii and Alaska are attached to other states, though, namely Washington* and Virginia*, and Virginia* also has some random coastal counties in Washington* and one in New England*.

I'm quite proud of the glorious New York* that owns all of New England and snakes down to grab southern Louisiana (except Mississippian New Orleans) and the Old South.

Of course, like the previous all-blue USA, this one could be so easily broken it's not even funny. Honestly, if you were to do this but with half Republican and half Democratic, it would be pretty even and fair. Not even states, really, but "voting districts."

Last edited:
View attachment 310474

A completely Democratic voting 2016 electoral map with only contiguous states. Hawaii and Alaska are attached to other states, though, namely Washington* and Virginia*, and Virginia* also has some random coastal counties in Washington* and one in New England*.

I'm quite proud of the glorious New York* that owns all of New England and snakes down to grab southern Louisiana (except Mississippian New Orleans) and the Old South.

That's some impressive gerrymandering there. Watch out you don't get asked to draw districts for the Dems and the GOP. :p