Map Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
n0zgaab.png

Anyone want to guess what happened here?
Judging from the internal borders I'd say, Canada finds some ASB superweapon that crashed in their wide lands and they decided to overrun the US, which they easily did if you regard the fact that they didn't stop at the US southern Border... :D

I have no idea what happened to that border in Quebec/the Maritimes/Maine other than some crazy space bats... :coldsweat:

How come it's ASB ? The cartographer never specified any year or any description to begin dissecting what's wrong with it. This map could well be the present day with a POD on 1300. Or it could be a future map for the year 2250. Who knows. Ruling it as ASB with no description, year, or anything other than a map seems wrong.

How come it's ASB ? The cartographer never specified any year or any description to begin dissecting what's wrong with it. This map could well be the present day with a POD on 1300. Or it could be a future map for the year 2250. Who knows. Ruling it as ASB with no description, year, or anything other than a map seems wrong.
Fair enough. It still bothers me how they look while the OTL borders of Ontario to BC are still very visible, but expanded into the USA, hence why I assumed it wasn't an early PoD.

n0zgaab.png

I would propose:

The USA has at some point fallen to an extreme Rationalist, Hebertist government - either under people or, if it's the future, under AI's. The gov't was hawkiish on top of that as they saw expansion as in the people's best interest, and then, they divided the country up "rationally".

n0zgaab.png

Impossible to acuratly guess with this little info. If you gave us the dates of the map and the POD then we might stand a chance. What i'll say is that the borders indicate a rather radical govnerment,to redraw state/state/province borders in federations where said states/states/provinces are supposed to ultimatly hold power and sovernty. Or jas a faaaaar back POD (Colonization times) before the lines in the land were drawn.
Now for some border disagreements: the latitude tine that divides MainDakota from AlbOntanaOming seems to change direction from one place instead of the gradual curve that should exist in such a map projection, I am horrified by the unholy partition of Saskatchewan, I very much dislike the border between south-OntIgan and north-OntConsSota, instead of tha straight line all the way it should follow the french river from Georgian bay to lake Nipising, then berhaps a straight line on a northeast angle to avoid bisecting the City of North Bay in two states/states/provinces

East Coast of America 1693.PNG

The Third Civil War 1685-1693

Without the Dutch alliance, gained through the prompting of his aunt, Mary, wife of William of Orange, it is doubtful if Henry IX, then Duke of Monmouth, would have gained the throne.
His landing in Dorset, in 1685, backed by Dutch troops, narrowly won the battle of Sedgemoor but this was enough to rouse the Scots to his cause. The Jacobite commander, John Churchill, was captured. Churchill turned his coat & joined Henry as commander of his forces, soon securing London & the south for his new master.
By 1688, with the capture of York by a joint Anglo-Scot-Dutch army, Henry was in control of mainland England but the outbreak of the War of the Grand Alliance saw James gain French allies & attempt a landing in Ireland where he still enjoyed considerable support.
Protestants in the north affirmed their allegiance to Henry & a small Anglo-Dutch army was dispatched to support them. The Scots were tied up putting down an uprising led by Viscount Dundee in the Highlands of Scotland.
A second army, under Churchill, landed in Dundalk, threatening to cut James off from the south. Despite maneuvering to keep the two English armies apart, James was forced further south, unable to reach Dublin.
James was forced to give battle against the, now joined, English army outside of Kildare on the Cushina River. On 3rd September 1690 defeated the badly trained Irish levies but the French contingent were able to retreat in good order.
Troops under the Earl of Lucan marched west, capturing Limerick & Kinsale, laying siege to Cork. The main army, meanwhile, marched south to Wexford, in pursuit of the Jacobite army but, despite several skirmishes, were unable to prevent embarkation onto waiting French ships.
Cork surrendered in January 1692 leaving the British Isles in the hands of Henry IX.

In the Americas, the Iroquois, allies of England & Holland launched attacks along the St Lawrence whilst an English force captured Port Royal, capital of Acadia.

The General Peace of 1693 saw little change in the colonies as a result of the War. However, a grateful Henry returned the Lands taken from Holland in the Third Anglo-Dutch War & reformed the colonies into the Federations of New England, Delaware & Carolina.

The Future?
This is just a quick thought experiment.

Whilst I don't forsee many lasting changes in the near future in Europe, a strong Dutch prescence in North America during the War of the Spanish Succession could see Lower Canada & the Great Lakes in Dutch hands whilst the St Lawrence River settlements end up in British hands. As in OTL Louisians would go to the Spanish.
Would Florida, newly British, be ruled from Carolina or would another Federation be set up?

With the Iroquois inextricably tied to the Dutch their influence on American moves for independence would be so much less & the liklihood of a democratic republic likewise much smaller. Probably the New England Federation would remain under the Crown whilst the Delaware & Carolina Federations break away & possibly Balkanise.

Apocryphally, America chose English over German as the official language by only 1 vote; Delaware has a far higher proportion of German speakers than the other Federations so the possibility of Germanic City & Princely states is high, as is the possibility of later alliances with Prussia/Germany.

Carolina would have no real opposition to Slavery & may develop as an early South Africa.

Damn it, now I've got to see how the Treaty of Utrecht affects North America;-
East Coast of America 1714.PNG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.