Alternate List of Billboard #1 Hits: Version 2.0

November 11th, 1995: "Beautiful Life"- France Joli
November 18th, 1995: "Friends Of P."- Sharp & Albarn [1]
November 25th, 1995: "Friends Of P."- Sharp & Albarn

[1] Matt Sharp from Weezer with Damon Albarn. This serves as a catalyst for Weezer breaking up here. Matt Sharp joins Blur as a replacement for bassist Alex James during 1996. A furious Rivers Cuomo makes Pinkerton a solo LP.

I have a question: Is 1996 still going to be the world of the one-hit wonders in this timeline?

I hope not.

Last edited:
December 2nd, 1995: "Exhale (Shoop Shoop)" - Aaliyah

December 9th, 1995: "Exhale (Shoop Shoop)" - Aaliyah

December 16th, 1995: "One Sweet Day" - Marc Nelson ft. Mariah Carey

December 23rd, 1995: "Triumph" - The Killa Bees [1]
December 30th, 1995: "Triumph" - The Killa Bees

[1] A New York-based rap group consisting of RZA, Method Man, Ghostface Killah, Chuck D, KRS-One, Masta Killa and Ol' Dirty Bastard. All seven get verses on this five minute song in lieu of a chorus.

January 6th, 1996: "Drop That Gold" - Brooklyn Underground ft. Q-Tip[1]
January 13th, 1996: "Drop That Gold" - Brooklyn Underground ft. Q-Tip
January 20th, 1996: "Runaway" - Charlie Brown & Dinco D [2]

[1] Brooklyn Underground was formed out of New York rappers Busta Rhymes, LL Cool J, The Notorious BIG and surprise upcomer with his first debut Jay-Z. Busta Rhymes invited Q-Tip into the song as repayment for all the guest-starring's he'd been allowed in A Tribe Called Quest. Drop That Gold was proclaimed as the solidifying of an East Coast Rennaisance with The Killer Bees.

[2] Charlie Brown and Dinco D of former The Leaders of a New School accused other former member Busta Rhymes for stealing a song that they wrote under Leaders of a New School. Runaway was a response to this, seemingly opening an "East Coast Civil War".

Hmmmm I hope this is okay? I dunno if TTL version of East-West Coast Rivalry has been covered any?

Last edited:
I mentioned this earlier and hinted at a major music industry scandal around 1992 as a result, but people keep giving hits to Tupac and Snoop Dogg...

Well, least now we have anough groups active and all connected in one big conflict in one area. New York could become a really really bad place for rappers if maybe the beef between Brooklyn Underground and Leaders of New School increases, and maybe dragging in A Tribe Called Quest, The Killa Bees etc. etc.

January 27th, 1996: "Not Alone" - Janet Jackson

February 3rd, 1996: "Not Alone" - Janet Jackson

February 10th, 1996: "Not Alone" - Janet Jackson

February 17th, 1996: "Like A Mirage"- Deborah Gibson [1]

[1] Gibson experiments with slow trip hop beats and Eastern instrumentation. TTL only track.

March 2nd, 1996: "When You Look At Me" - Billy Ray Cyrus ft. Lil Kim

March 9th, 1996: "When You Look At Me" - Billy Ray Cyrus ft. Lil Kim [1]

March 16th, 1996: "Red" - Alyssa Milano [2]

[1] Billy Ray Cyrus gets a #1 single off what was meant to be his retirement album. After an unsuccessful solo career, punctuated by becoming the "other man" in the Bobby and Whitney Brown divorce towards the end of last year, he released what was probably his worst song from his album It Comes, sticking on a verse by newcomer Lil Kim as a favour to a friend. However, the song hits #1 and his farewell tour becomes a comeback tour.

[2] Alyssa Milano returns to music, singing a song with a very thing metaphor about her vagina. The video features Milano dancing with a man in a Panda suit and becomes the most expensive music video ever filmed, costing $ 7,000,000 due to the use of revolutionary computer graphics and Milano's pearl encrusted dress, which she chooses to purchase after the filming is done.

Last edited:
Those dates are off a bit, since this was a leap year.

March 23rd, 1996: "The Wasteland of the Free" - Iris DeMent [1]
March 30th, 1996: "The Wasteland of the Free" - Iris DeMent
April 6th, 1996: "The Wasteland of the Free" - Iris DeMent

[1] As part of the folk-country resurgence of the mid-90's, this track garners particular attention for its strident political message surrounding inequality, militarism, and the hypocrisies of the War on Drugs and how all of these played together in the 1993 American invasion of Panama, becoming a protest favorite, especially among those who see the lineage from 60's protest folk songs like Eve of Destruction. The song also benefits from promotion by Mark Knopfler, who contributes guitar on the track itself. [2]

[2] Which replaces the OTL verse about the Persian Gulf War. Also, Knopfler played guitar on this album IOTL, though not this song.

May 4th, 1996: "Common People"- Pulp

May 11th, 1996: "Common People"- Pulp

May 18th, 1996: "Common People"- Pulp

May 25th, 1996: "Common People" - Pulp
June 1st, 1996: "Common People" - Pulp
June 8th, 1996: "A Question of Honour" - Sarah Brightman

Events: After half a year since the start of the East Coast Civil War between Brooklyn Underground and The Leaders of New School. The fight becomes real after a fan of Charlie Brown shots Busta Rhymes and a member of his enterage dead after leaving a club. As a result, Jay-Z leaves Brooklyn Underground in protest of how the war is going, making a rap-song pleading for peace on the streets of New York. The song peaks on 4th in the US charts. Q-Tip breaks apart A Tribe Called Quest after internal fights about his connection to Busta Rhymes. The Killa Bees respond to the event by releasing their own song calling for peace but insinuates that Charlie Brown paid the fan to kill Busta Rhymes.

I know there's still going to be a dreaded wave of teen pop here despite getting rid of Lou Pearlman and giving Simon Fuller a different career.

Events: Since The Party did well ITTL, Disney/Hollywood Records starts the late 90's pop terror with two groups formed from the ashes of the Mickey Mouse Club:

1) Emerald: Christina Aguilera, Rhona Bennett & "Nikki" DeLoach

2) The 5: Justin Timberlake, Ryan Gosling, "JC" Chasez, Tony Lucca, & Matt Morris [1]

UK actress Emma Bunton enters the charts with her cover of "Trick Of The Eye" [2]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPHtOXV8VG4

[1] You guys can do whatever you want with these groups (flops, name changes, etc). I just set them up.

[2] I forgot The Spice Girls had different management prior to Fuller. Aside from Baby being a solo act here, the rest might still exist as a group ITTL.

Last edited:
I know there's still going to be a dreaded wave of teen pop here despite getting rid of Lou Pearlman and giving Simon Fuller a different career.

Events: Since The Party did well ITTL, Disney/Hollywood Records starts the late 90's pop terror with two groups formed from the ashes of the Mickey Mouse Club:

1) Emerald: Christina Aguilera, Rhona Bennett & "Nikki" DeLoach

2) The 5: Justin Timberlake, Ryan Gosling, "JC" Chasez, Tony Lucca, & Matt Morris [1]

UK actress Emma Bunton enters the charts with her cover of "Trick Of The Eye" [2]

[1] You guys can do whatever you want with these groups (flops, name changes, etc). I just set them up.

[2] I forgot The Spice Girls had different management prior to Fuller. Aside from Baby being a solo act here, the rest might still exist as a group ITTL.

I was actually also thinking of making T.J. Fantini either a member of a 'N Sync-esque act, or a male Britney.

June 15th, 1996: "A Question of Honour" - Sarah Brightman

June 22nd, 1996: "Velvet Park" - Lavinia Jones

June 29th, 1996: "Velvet Park" - Lavinia Jones

July 6th, 1996: "Me and You" - Paula Abdul [1]

July 13th, 1996: "Gobble Gobble" - Stacy Ann Ferguson [2]

July 20th, 1996: "Gobble Gobble" - Stacy Ann Ferguson

[1] Paula Abdul re-enters the popcharts with her comeback single, "Me and You". The song, which talks about Paula and a mysterious man, enters the pop charts at #1, only to drop to #7 the net week. However, with this massive success to open her comeback, Abdul announces an album in August, entitled Paulie.

[2] Stacy Ann Ferguson enters the #1 spot with her ode to oral sex.