Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

The 1934 Olympics in Saint Petersburg was a lavish affair. The Tsar had ordered constructed a revolutionary stadium for the spectacle. Russia had recently found itself flush on funds with the dual drivers of the Oil revenues from the Baku fields and the increasing price fetched by the products of the fecund fields of the Rodina. The big controversy going into the event was the British Empire failed to pressure the Olympics to have the breakaway UNI banned from the event as a competing nation. Despite international tensions, the leaders of the world, including the crowned heads of Europe, came to attend the Opening Ceremonies. While the Opening Ceremonies were an awe inspiring event captured by kinee, the Closing Ceremonies promised to be even greater!

640px-Olympiastadion_Berlin_Sep-2015.jpg

Glen

The world was stunned when on Friday, August 3, 1934 the Olympic Stadium in Saint Petersburg, Russia was rocked by explosions and gunfire as a suicide squad of Thuggie assassins attacked the section of the stadium reserved for foreign dignitaries, killing and wounding several prominent statesmen and royal figures, with the most prominent death by far being that of British Emperor Alexander I. The Russian Tsarevitch was wounded in the attack as well. News services from around the world played the Kinee recordings of the attack.

While none of the Thuggie assassins were taken alive, their leader Kala Phansigar claimed credit for the attack, and explicitly stated that the "oppressive and overpopulating" British Emperor was the key target of the attack. At least one of the attackers had entered the stadium under the guise of a United Nationalities of India diplomat. In the weeks after the attack, both British and Russian intelligence came to believe that Kala Phansigar had planned and was still hiding in UNI. While Tipu Sultan's government officially expressed regret at the attack, the announcement was worded such that many political analysts took it as a back-handed condemnation of British policy. Sultan's UNI government also refused to allow investigators into the country, seen by the British and Russians as tacit shielding of Phansigar and the Thuggies (adding to suspicions several had that the UNI was using the Thuggie as a covert tool).

Ishan Sharma
, ringleader of the Saint Petersburg Slaughter, and his fellow assassins:
Nathuram.jpg

Last edited:
World War I...

Strikes me as somewhat similar to what started OTL World War I, but with the UNI *less* willing than Serbia to help...

Is it happening? The Malthusian World War I predicted so long ago?

Well that is going to depend on what countries will be willing to side with the UNI.

I still say there should be more states getting carved out of the North - the USA always did that more than the gigantic Canadian provinces. Plus, I really want 50 states :p

So who else was killed by Thugees in St. Petersburg?

Yeah, India just screwed over the decolonization movement that could happen in this world. Or put it on the back-burner for a long time - Europeans will claim this is why they're there, to 'civilize'. :(

But needless to say, the Thuggies are acting horribly and the UNI deserves all the black marks it can get for shielding them. Surely India can realize there's a morality beyond Hindu solidarity here!

Glen

Strikes me as somewhat similar to what started OTL World War I, but with the UNI *less* willing than Serbia to help...

Oh, if anything, this is much worse than what started OTL WWI...it also has several other historical parallels. What becomes of it, only time will tell...

Glen

Yeah, India just screwed over the decolonization movement that could happen in this world. Or put it on the back-burner for a long time - Europeans will claim this is why they're there, to 'civilize'. :(

Certainly possible - OTOH colonization was not nearly as big a think ITTL as IOTL to begin with...

But needless to say, the Thuggies are acting horribly

Indeed they are.

and the UNI deserves all the black marks it can get for shielding them. Surely India can realize there's a morality beyond Hindu solidarity here!

Yes they can, but sometimes nations do boneheaded things - ask Saddam Hussein about that...oh wait, not available for comment...

Oh really? Like Alaska??:p

I was thinking more of the prairie provinces - had the USA possessed them, we probably would have carved them into Dakota sized chunks, rather than the much larger Canadian states.

They may get larger the farther north you go, but only the very far North.

Glen

I was thinking more of the prairie provinces - had the USA possessed them, we probably would have carved them into Dakota sized chunks, rather than the much larger Canadian states.

They may get larger the farther north you go, but only the very far North.

Are these really larger? Remember there is a bit of distortion as you go North on a map...

Glen

The early 1930s saw the rise of more and more nations to the Malthusian cause as fears of a global catastrophe drove politicians to embrace the philophophies of the Malthusian clubs of the teens and twenties.

In the Far East, the United States of China saw a moderate pro-Malthusian government take power, though they found themselves criticized by their large neighbors Chuen China and the United Nationalities of India for doing too little to stem the growth in population in the southern Chinese nation.

In the New World, after the purge of Korsgaardists from Mexico in the aftermath of the Global War, more liberal politicians were in control, but by 1930 concern over the explosion of the Mexican population led Mexico to adopt some of the most rigorous Malthusian policies in the New World, only rivaled by the Malthusian regime in Brazil. Other Western Hemisphere nations to embrace Malthusian principles (to greater or lesser extent) were New Granada and the Confederation of the Equator, though perhaps without as much fervor as their more populous compatriots in the New World.

In Europe and Asia Minor, where the smaller nations of Belgique and the Netherlands had led, the larger powers would follow. While not populous, the lack of good arable land in Scandanavia and Switzerland led to concern about overpopulation on the global stage, which in turn would endanger their own nations which were heavily reliant on food importation. The large growth in the populations of the Great Britain, France, Germany, and the Ottoman Empire after the Global War led to growth in the Malthusian clubs in those nations. While seeing less population growth, strong Malthusian political clubs formed in Spain, Italy, Naples, Sicily, and Hungary as well. Many of these nations would see in the 1920s and early 1930s governments join the Malthusian cause, or the arising of new governments founded on Malthusian principles.

When the Subcontinental Crisis suddenly grew exponentially worse with the Saint Petersburg Slaughter at the 1934 Olympics, the emergency session of the International Malthusian Conference was the largest ever assemblage, with many of the attendees representing the governments in power in their respective nations.

Site of the 1934 Emergency Session of International Malthusianism during a break - while in formal session it was standing room only, even for heads of state!
117093.jpg

The early 1930s saw the rise of more and more nations to the Malthusian cause as fears of a global catastrophe drove politicians to embrace the philophophies of the Malthusian clubs of the teens and twenties.

In the Far East, the United States of China saw a moderate pro-Malthusian government take power, though they found themselves criticized by their large neighbors Chuen China and the United Nationalities of India for doing too little to stem the growth in population in the southern Chinese nation.

In the New World, after the purge of Korsgaardists from Mexico in the aftermath of the Global War, more liberal politicians were in control, but by 1930 concern over the explosion of the Mexican population led Mexico to adopt some of the most rigorous Malthusian policies in the New World, only rivaled by the Malthusian regime in Brazil. Other Western Hemisphere nations to embrace Malthusian principles (to greater or lesser extent) were New Granada and the Confederation of the Equator, though perhaps without as much fervor as their more populous compatriots in the New World.

In Europe and Asia Minor, where the smaller nations of Belgique and the Netherlands had led, the larger powers would follow. While not populous, the lack of good arable land in Scandanavia and Switzerland led to concern about overpopulation on the global stage, which in turn would endanger their own nations which were heavily reliant on food importation. The large growth in the populations of the Great Britain, France, Germany, and the Ottoman Empire after the Global War led to growth in the Malthusian clubs in those nations. While seeing less population growth, strong Malthusian political clubs formed in Spain, Italy, Naples, Sicily, and Hungary as well. Many of these nations would see in the 1920s and early 1930s governments join the Malthusian cause, or the arising of new governments founded on Malthusian principles.

When the Subcontinental Crisis suddenly grew exponentially worse with the Saint Petersburg Slaughter at the 1934 Olympics, the emergency session of the International Malthusian Conference was the largest ever assemblage, with many of the attendees representing the governments in power in their respective nations.

Site of the 1934 Emergency Session of International Malthusianism during a break - while in formal session it was standing room only, even for heads of state!
117093.jpg

While I understand that TTL is much more populated than OTL, thanks to earlier advances in medicine. I would think that the Green Revolution would also happen much sooner here (it should be well underway by the 1930s), and the population problem is soon to be mitigated.

Whatever happens I am very curious to see where you take it. Keep up the good work.

I enjoy that you haven't painted Malthusians as bad or good guys, most people would do that with alternate ideologies. I can see myself being happy if Malthusian ideas win out everywhere or if they ultimately failed.