Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

During the Global War, it was decided that Imperial London needed a dedicated Orca base. The Royal Army decided the ideal location would be to the south of the city in Croydon. Long transport link between London and the South, Croydon was also had an important history as a favorite retreat of the Archbishops of Canterbury.

After the Global War, the Croydon Flightbase in addition to serving as a peacetime base for the air defense of London, it also developed as a commercial and passenger hub for Air Whale flights throughout the British Isles, to the Continent, and even across the Atlantic to the Dominion of Southern America and USA.

f828e7e32d0d9b43ba63b6a99888f5d8.jpg

While developed initially as a base for lighter-than-air flights, in the 20th century the Flightbase facilities were extended to provide heavier-than-air flight capability for ICEwings. While commercial flights tended to remain ligher-than-air, the Royal Army could see that the future of military aviation would belong to the ICEwing, and Croydon Flightbase by 1930 was a major part of the Empire's development of this capability.

Croydon_Airport_aerial_view.jpg

Glen

Nice one, Glen! Say, have you done anything on Welsh culture just yet? I'm honestly quite curious as to how the Welsh American community on both sides of the border might have developed ITTL. :cool:

Thanks Cali - done a bit on the Welsh nut not a lot

Glen

Malthusian mania spread like wildfire through the 1920s and 1930s.

Prominent German demographer Professor Lucius P. Zueblin's best selling book, translated in English as "The Population Apocalypse" raised awareness of population growth throughout the 19th century, starting with hitting the one billion mark in 1804, doubling in 95 years to two billion at the turn of the century in 1899, and topping three billion in less than a third of that time by 1930, the year the book was published.

Most chilling to the world audience was the projection that population would hit 4 billion in just 15 years in 1945, which Professor Zueblin claimed to be the tipping point past which the Earth could support no more humanity. His work earned him prominent presentations in front of the Malthusian World Congress in 1931 and again in 1932.

• Global Population
  • 1804 - 1 billion
  • 1899 - 2 billion
  • 1930 - 3 billion
  • 1945 - 4 billion (projected)

I recently re-read this TL and found how you had written about critical medical advances occurring decades earlier than OTL -- with antibiotics more than half a century earlier!! After reading those parts, then the early Malthusian parts again, I put together that World Population increased faster throughout the 19th Century than OTL. I'm glad you wrote these numbers out now confirming this breakneck growth rate. The rise of Malthusian Parties makes more sense now. I hope somebody developed a version of the Haber Process for creating fertilizer or famines are going to get worse.

Glen

I recently re-read this TL and found how you had written about critical medical advances occurring decades earlier than OTL -- with antibiotics more than half a century earlier!!

Oh, you noticed that, did you?;)

After reading those parts, then the early Malthusian parts again, I put together that World Population increased faster throughout the 19th Century than OTL.

Give the Cylon a gold star!:D

I'm glad you wrote these numbers out now confirming this breakneck growth rate.

Well, earlier for sure!;);)

The rise of Malthusian Parties makes more sense now.

Yep.

I hope somebody developed a version of the Haber Process for creating fertilizer or famines are going to get worse.

What do you think?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Glen

The early 20th Century saw a proliferation of the use of electricity, at first for illumination but shortly thereafter for a variety of tools and applications. In the pioneering days of electrification, a myriad of electrical frequencies and other factors were used for electrical alternating current transmission, as well as a plethora of plugs for attaching electrical devices to the power supply. The US Government and the Royal Society collaborated on a study of what standards should be set for electrical transmission and connection. This seminal work not only set the standard that would be adhered to globally for a unified standard for electrical transmission (a balance between safety, power, and efficient transmission), but also a radical new design for electrical device plugs and sockets. The plug design emphasized safety, with a longer ground and semisheathed live and neutral prongs, which were mated with a shuttered socket that required the larger, longer ground to be inserted first in order to open to receive the other prongs, which by the time they would meet their connections would already have their exposed metal covered by the socket. Both the form and function of the new standard plug inspired it's name, the "E" plug - as it was for electrical devices and resembled the letter E. By the 1930s all electrical devices were using the E plug design.

Global Plug.png

Glen

Hmmm, very interesting. Always interesting to see how tech like this develops differently.

Thanks - these things are very perturbable so it's good to show how they might be approached differently in different timelines.

Btw, where did you find the graphic for the plug?

It's a slightly modified graphic for a collapsible British plug. Basically TTL's version is a slimmed down set up of the robust British power plug.

This is an fascinating video about the concept design for the folding one - note that while the DSA world E plug shares a very similar shape to this real world plug when it is folded, the DSA world E plug doesn't unfold (it is one piece and meant to be used in that configuration).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6DvjKkGT6s

Thanks - these things are very perturbable so it's good to show how they might be approached differently in different timelines.

No problem. :)

It's a slightly modified graphic for a collapsible British plug. Basically TTL's version is a slimmed down set up of the robust British power plug.

This is an fascinating video about the concept design for the folding one - note that while the DSA world E plug shares a very similar shape to this real world plug when it is folded, the DSA world E plug doesn't unfold (it is one piece and meant to be used in that configuration).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6DvjKkGT6s
Huh... that is cool! Thanks for the share.